Felipe, Prince of Asturias & Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano: 22 May 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1-Crown Princess Mathilde
2-Princess Martha Louisa
3-Grand Duchess Maria Teresa
4-Princess Madeleine
5-Crown Princess Maxima

Best:
1. Maxima (is this the same person as the Queen's Day denim....?) ;)
2. Farah Diba
3. Infanta Elena
4. Infant Christina
5. Mathilde
6. Marie Chantal
7. Maria Theresa of Luxemburg - flattering, and a great improvement over recent outfits

Most of the guests' outfits were lovely, though, I loved watching everyone entering the church. In the US we never see hats!!

Most disappointing:
PRincess Caroline

Most disturbing:
The woman with the yellow dress, w/the two hearts design, wearing stockings, one yellow leg, one red leg.

Did anybody notice when they went onto the balcony, and Letizia starting talking to Juan Carlos..... and Felipe gently pulled her away from him? I thought it was funny, and a little strange.

Could someone post a photo of Queen Sofia on her wedding day so we can see the tiara?

Was Letizia's veil new or was that also Sofia's?

The Spanish balcony decoration was sooo much better than the Danish one.

Th Spanish one, just like British, put their royal flag or emblem on the balcony. Whereas, the Danish...oh my....a Persian carpet. Couldn't they put something else? If they wanted to show that they were not that distant from normal people, instead of that, they could put the Danish flag, anything symbolic was better than an ordinary carpet.

Who were the two young ladies attending the bride?

A niece of Letizia and Ana Codorniu y Alevarez de Toledo. Ana's great-grandmother was Infanta Maria Cristina of Spain.

Could someone post a photo of Queen Sofia on her wedding day so we can see the tiara?

Photo of Sofia

Question :

How many persons were allowed in

to stand in the closed palace court yard

beneath the balcony

to illude a cheering crowd ?

I bet a LTR reader knows the number :)

apparently the king didn't aprove the wedding of his son with letizia

LA HISTORIA DE UNA BODA QUE TIENE AL REY TRISTE, PERO QUE PUEDE SER UN BÁLSAMO VIVIFICANTE PARA LA INSTITUCIÓN

En la torrentera de halagos y prensa rosa que nos inunda, alguna acotación en torno a lo que algunos vieron en Palacio el pasado sábado, con una coda final sobre el futuro de la institución Monárquica.

Los que conocen de verdad al Rey no tienen duda: a pesar de los esfuerzos desplegados, que fueron muchos y muy intensos, no pudo disimular la tristeza que le ha producido una boda que no es la que hubiera deseado para su hijo. La madre, la Reina, lo lleva mejor, que para eso es una profesional, entre otras cosas porque su especial predilección por su hijo la induce a ser complaciente con la elección de éste. Se trata de no perderlo.

El Rey hizo tal esfuerzo de contención que, acostumbrado a expresarse siempre con franqueza, se le notaba abotargado, como enfermo, además de triste. Los rumores cabalgan desbocados como heraldos negros.

A los conocedores de la liturgia real tampoco les pasó desapercibido uno de esos detalles que valen más que mil palabras: ¿Recuerdan dónde se situó el Rey cuando salió al balcón del Palacio de Oriente, primeras horas de la tarde del sábado, con el pueblo reclamando el clásico "que se besen, que se besen”? Su instinto le hizo colocarse junto a la Reina, en el extremo opuesto al que se encontraba su nuera. El Príncipe, que de inmediato de dio cuenta de lo ocurrido, pidió a su regio padre con un gesto que se situara a la derecha de Letizia. Pero el detalle ya había quedado registrado para la intrahistoria de la boda. Jamás el Rey hubiera cometido una equivocación tan obvia en otras circunstancias.

Lo de “queridísima Letizia” sonó a protocolo. Si el hijo se hubiera casado a gusto del padre, quizás hubiera dicho pronto adiós, para dedicarse a cazar y disfrutar del tiempo que le queda, aunque ningún Borbón, salvo Felipe V, que estaba como unas castañuelas, dejó nunca la Corona por voluntad propia.

Y, sin embargo, esta no deja de ser una visión muy conservadora, muy carca, de la presente historia. Si Letizia es o no la mujer adecuada para acompañar la singladura vital del futuro Rey de España es una incógnita que sólo el tiempo despejará. “Todo en esta mujer está fuera de contexto”, asegura un buen conocedor del entorno regio, “y es del todo punto imposible imaginarla dentro de esa familia”.

Otros, tal que el diario El País del domingo, la han visto como una especie de Reina del Pueblo, una Reina progre, acorde con los gustos ideológicos del Grupo Prisa, ya saben, mujer divorciada, agnóstica y demás. “La monarquía del Siglo XXI”, rezaba la portada del diario. “Boda democrática”, aseguraba el inaudito editorial.

Y, sin embargo, las cosas pueden ser muy distintas y, al mismo tiempo, muy sencillas. De momento, el Príncipe se ha casado enamorado como un colegial, lo cual es toda una novedad tratándose de un Borbón. Basta con que esta chica, que hasta ahora ha tenido los pies en el suelo, que conoce la psicología del español medio, que desde luego es inteligente, y que está acostumbrada a ganarse la vida con su trabajo, sepa y quiera introducir racionalidad y cordura en el entorno del Príncipe.

Basta con que le anime a cumplir con dignidad sus obligaciones constitucionales. Basta con que le ayude a separar el grano de la paja de los falsos amigos. Basta con que le guíe por una senda de honestidad personal, basta con que le estimule para hacer de su comportamiento un modelo de conducta del que ningún español se pueda avergonzar.

Bastaría con que pusiera orden en la vida del futuro Rey para que Letizia Ortiz se convirtiera en una mujer importante en la historia de España de este siglo. La pelota parece hoy en el alero. ¿Apuesta arriesgada? Cierto. Todas lo son. Puede que el tinglado se derrumbe con estrépito en poco tiempo, pero puede también que esta mujer se erija en el bálsamo capaz de dignificar y dar un nuevo impulso a una Institución hasta hoy refugiada tras el tabú impuesto por los poderes fácticos y mediáticos.

Jesús Cacho : 25/05/2004

Originally posted by Lady Jean@May 25th, 2004 - 1:31 pm
Was Letizia's veil new or was that also Sofia's?
Letizia's veil was a wedding gift from Felipe. Was specialy mader to her ;)

Originally posted by Lady Jean@May 25th, 2004 - 1:01 pm
Most disturbing:
The woman with the yellow dress, w/the two hearts design, wearing stockings, one yellow leg, one red leg.
Thast lady was Agatha Ruiz de la Prada, a known spanish designer :p

Xicamaluca: Thanks for all of the answers... and the happy Sofia wedding pic. :flower:

I hope this doesn't offend anyone...but cld some kind member pls translate the speeches of both cp felipe and HM the King? I'm sure cp's speech was as romantic as cp frederik. And wat's the story that HM didn't approve the marriage? thought he looked quite happy throughout the wedding?

thks so much!

All ladies wore lovely outfit except Princess Martha Louise, so far I never liked his style of clothing, no one fit with her posture.

Originally posted by Wisnu@May 25th, 2004 - 9:42 pm
All ladies wore lovely outfit except Princess Martha Louise, so far I never liked his style of clothing, no one fit with her posture.
I couldn't understand HH and that Yellowish Red thing. Same with the designer lady, hey maybe they could be twins.

Originally posted by King Christian@May 26th, 2004 - 2:36 am
A quick glance at the scores, suggests that public prominence played a big role in bias. Poor Maria Teresa of Lux. didn't do too well with her gold lame dress. I wonder why, I can't read Spanish.
Well i can made you a little translation of the poll ;)

The 1st cathegory is the most elegant (winner: Queen Noor of Jordan), the 2nd is the most sexy (winner: Queen Rania of Jordan), 3rd the most "cheap"/"vulgar" (winner: Princess Martha Louise), 4th the best hat (winner: CP Marie-Chantall), 5th The best couple (here the winner is quite funny - Princess Caroline without Ernest :p ), 6th most stylish man (winner: Miguel Bosé (spanish singer, friend of Felipe), 7th the key moment (winner: Froilán kick), 8th most "bold" guest (winner: Agatha Ruiz de la Prada), 9th most "carca" (i can't remember the exact translation :p. it's something like the worst in something) (Winner: the director of the wedding broadcast) and the last 10th the best on the streets (winner: the people under the rain).

Originally posted by agm@May 23rd, 2004 - 5:47 pm
VIDEOS

Momentos de la boda real

VIDEO
You can see in this video that Letizia did curtsy to the King and Queen. Why haven't the photographers caught that.

You can also see here when Felipe gave a facial tissue (or is it?) to Letizia.

Originally posted by nouwrein@May 26th, 2004 - 9:43 am
You can see in this video that Letizia did curtsy to the King and Queen. Why haven't the photographers caught that.
I've seen a pic where the curtery can be seen. I will try to found it :flower:

i. Crown Princess Pavlos of Greece
ii. The Duchess of Lugo
iii. The Grand Duchess of Luxembourg
iv. Queen Noor of Jordan
v. Farah Diba
vi. Begum Inaara Aga Khan
vii. Princess Kyril of Bulgaria

nouwrein, in this pic you can see the curtesy that Letizia and her father made when arrived to the cathedral :flower:

pic

Originally posted by xicamaluca@May 26th, 2004 - 8:10 am
nouwrein, in this pic you can see the curtesy that Letizia and her father made when arrived to the cathedral :flower:

pic
Thanks Xicamaluca :flower: but i can't open the pic, it says 'you are forbiddden to view this page' :(

xicamaluca  Posted: May 26th, 2004 - 8:19 am

Happy couple
As a tall man, even if she is looking up with radiance, are his eyes distracted?

xicamaluca  Posted: May 26th, 2004 - 8:19 am

I don't know if they were alreday posted, but i simply love this pics

An happy king and Queen in the balcony
Happy couple
Arriving Atocha
A very happy couple arriving the Royal Palace
Queen Sofia and Felipe
All the same, so very nice these pictures.
But of the two, is Queen Sophia looking more radiant that the newly minted Princess of Asturias?

;) Here's my list of the best dress:
Crown Princess Mathilde
Crown Princess Maxima
Queen Sofia
Princess Theodora
Infanta Cristina
Infanta Elena
Queen Rania
Crown Princess Pavlos(only get half a vote) I didn't like the hat she wore. :yuk:

Sorry if this photo from Corbis has been posted before but I had not seen it:

photo

Felipe's Speech
as translated by a poster called Mary at the Franco-Iberian board

I imagine it is obvious to all, because I can neither hide it nor wish to: I am a happy man. And I am certain that this is because I have the feeling of seeing and taking part in a dream come true: I have married the woman I love. To combine
reason with the strength of love and feeling has always been one of my goals in life. That is why today we are celebrating that Letizia and I are uniting our lives in a communion of love, reponsibility, work, respect and mutual giving. Our union will last forever, and we offer it to our families and above all to our destiny, intimately linked to the future of Spaniards.

We face our future with very deep hope and illusion. To serve Spaniards is the great personal and institutional commitment with which Letizia and I set off on this new stage in our lives.

In it we are sure we will find the lasting happiness that every family seeks and desires. Our hope is to start a family. And we wish to reach the necessary balance between what is public and what is private, between duties - which are for life - and the legitimate and necessary family life; knowing that our lives require enough serenity, dedication, constancy and wisdom to weave together the political life and the human life.

Letizia: little more than a year ago we took the first steps that, with love and serenity, have brought us here. It is not a long time, it is not too short a time, but enough to have discovered mutually, sincerely and transparently, that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives together. Day by day our knowledge of each other and our mutual respect, our complicity and the way we complement each other, have grown and bolstered what has so strongly led us together and to marriage. It is also very important - and you have told me this many times - that we find in each other the peace necessary to reflect, enjoy, and share eveything that makes us grow as persons, that makes us proud and helps ut withstand the intensity of our lives. And it is even more important because it must be the fount of family harmony and happiness. I have no doubts that we will achieve this.

Ladies and gentlemen:

Today Letizia and I made a commitment that transcends the merely personal. Ever since childhood I have been conscious of my responsibilities, and loyalty to the King and my sense of duty have guided my life. So I take pride that from this day on, and with conviction and responsibility, Letizia joins me in this project. And I want everybody to know how grateful I am to Letizia for her determination and her wholehearted commitment to all that this project entails.

On the road we must travel we have before us the invaluable example of their Majesties the King and Queen: His Majesty the King, who together with a generation of great patriots achieved the reconciliation of Spaniards, had the leading role in the establishment and consolidation of democracy, and has carried out impeccably his constitutional duties. Her Majesty the Queen, with her unfailing and permanent support for the King, her responsibility, accessability, and her example. Both of them have made the Crown an institution that serves Spain and that has become beloved and respected by Spaniards.

And although circumstances, and people, may be different, my vocation to continue with this model and with their example of service is firm and unyielding.. It springs from the intimate conviction and my permanent commitment that the Crown continue to contribute to the institutional stability of Spain, to the integration and cohesion of Spaniards, and to act as a guaratee of their liberty and progress.

Your Majesty: Never doubt that we will always think of Spain and that all our lives will be dedicated to the welfare of Spaniards

Today we have sealed our love before God and society; you are all witnesses to that, and to how authentic it is. That is why we are specially happy to share with you, with Madrilenos and with all Spaniards, such a crucial moment in our lives.

We wish to express our gratitude for the constant tokens of affection and generosity that have arrived from so many parts of Spain, and even from outside our country. Also the affection, the efforts and the dedication of the institutions and the thousands of people who have contributed to the good outcome of these days of celebration. It is not possible, but we wish we could show these people our gratitude personally. It has also not proven possible to have with us so many people who are special to us, and to whom we sent our affectionate greetings from here.

In this chapter of thanks and memories we wish to have a spcial mention for our families. We are partly the result of their efforts and throughout these months they have given us their support and understanding, which have been vital props and will continue to be so. Beside, we would never have reached this point without their help, and that of other people, among whom I especially want to single out my sisters, the Infantas, and their husbands. Above all, it would have been impossible without their Majesties. As a son I have had much to thank them for throughout my life. Today, on my wedding day, I want to publicly acknowledge and express my deepest appreciation for their unceasing affection and support. It is not possible to understand my happiness without theirs.

Today I have acquired two more parents and two more sisters, and four grandparents - for my granparents are no longer with us. From them I continue to draw inspiration and my memories of them accompny me and fill me with pride. From hers I receive a warm closeness and the valuable experience of their lives. Accept my respectful and affectionate gratitude.

M for Madrid, May and Memories; The departed will always be with us, those who criminally and brutally were not allowed to continue living their dreams and hardships, and also those who lost loves ones and who cannot enjoy with them, freely and civically, this Spring in Madrid that embraces us and lifts our spirits.

In the presence of those we remember, allow me to offer a toast to Letizia, their Majesties the King and Queen, and Spain.

Back
Top Bottom