Fashion for the little and teenage royals Part 9: April 2016 - November 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sofia getting off the train that took her to varmland, with little alexander.

http://us.hola.com/imagenes/realeza...s-felipe-sofia-suecia/0-62-784/alexswe1-a.jpg

sofia's choices in dressing alexander makes me disappointed. i hate when babies and little children are dressed in 'adult clothes downsized to fit small kids'. kids should be dressed as kids and not as a mini version of an adult. it really makes sofia's middle-class background show. i wish someone would advise her that it is inappropriate for royal babies to dress with booties and hoodies.

Huh :ohmy: how is wearing a hoodie and booties being dressed like an adult?? More like a teenager at most. I think the little sweater vests and knee sock looks we get from other royal kids are more mini me looks, adults in small form :ermm:

What is appropriate for a royal child? Do they have to dress up like little sailors or school boys even in their down time? This was not an event. He was dressed for comfort for a train ride in the fall weather. Nothing wrong with what he wore.

http://us.hola.com/imagenes/realeza...s-felipe-sofia-suecia/0-62-784/alexswe1-a.jpg

sofia's choices in dressing alexander makes me disappointed. i hate when babies and little children are dressed in 'adult clothes downsized to fit small kids'. kids should be dressed as kids and not as a mini version of an adult. it really makes sofia's middle-class background show. i wish someone would advise her that it is inappropriate for royal babies to dress with booties and hoodies.

I'm in full agreement here. Children should be dressed like children, not like teens, or adults. Perhaps Sofia should take some lessons from her sister-in-law, Victoria, on how to dress her son in an outfit that is more age-appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

We have only seen Oscar at events. And like the other Swedish total kids, he is dressed in old fashioned clothes. You don't have to be dressed in clothes from a hundred years ago to be age appropriate. the important thing with babies are they are warm and comfortable. There was nothing grown up about his clothes. He was taking a train ride, not going to a christening of official event,no need for short pants and frilly tops.

As for asking advice of her sister in laws, look at photos of their kids. Look at Oscar in the pumpkin patch, or Madeleine's private photos on Twitter. Her kids rock the middle class look as you call it.

Last edited:

His clothes are fine. He is not at an official event so she can dress him any way she likes. Also... “middle-class background”?? Ouch... since when is being middle-class something to be ashamed of? And I wonder who gets to decide whats appropriate for royal children to wear... As far as I’m concerned that would be the royal parents.

I'm in full agreement here. Children should be dressed like children, not like teens, or adults. Perhaps Sofia should take some lessons from her sister-in-law, Victoria, on how to dress her son in an outfit that is more age-appropriate.

I hate to tell you but it looks like Estelle wore a hoodie to the hockey game with her dad :flowers:

Fashion threads always give me a laugh and this thread is no different. It's so territorial.

William and Catherine dress George and Charlotte in the tradition of British royal children and people have a fit, but when it comes to Sweden or Denmark it's all 'it's up to the parents to dress the children.' and 'what does it matter'

It's all about point scoring imo.

thanks daria, i am glad someone else shares the same view.

His clothes are fine. He is not at an official event so she can dress him any way she likes. Also... “middle-class background”?? Ouch... since when is being middle-class something to be ashamed of? And I wonder who gets to decide whats appropriate for royal children to wear... As far as I’m concerned that would be the royal parents.

how did you get to the conclusion that being middle class is something to be ashamed of? sofia is now royal and hence not middle class. my comment is made within the context of this situation. generalizing as you did is an error.

this clothing is specially not appropriate for a prince. [and in my opinion, for any child of that age]. and indeed, CP and sofia are free to make alexander wear whatever they want indeed - as i am free to decide that i find it vulgar, and not coherent with their royal status.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with Alexander's outfit, I think he looks fine. It seems as if it was cold at the time since he is dressed in quite a wintry outfit, so perhaps it was chosen for that reason too. He looks rather snug.

this clothing is specially not appropriate for a prince. [and in my opinion, for any child of that age]. and indeed, CP and sofia are free to make alexander wear whatever they want indeed - as i am free to decide that i find it vulgar, and not coherent with their royal status.

I think we need to tell all the swedish royals that they dress their kids in a vulgar way then. Or just accept the fact that royal kids wear what other kids wear, especially when they aren't on official duty. There are countless examples of this. Give the kids (and their parents) a break.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BL3tEAihVh-/

Fashion for the little and teenage royals Part 9: April 2016 -

how did you get to the conclusion that being middle class is something to be ashamed of? sofia is now royal and hence not middle class. my comment is made within the context of this situation. generalizing as you did is an error.

No problem, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one that enjoys seeing children, especially really young children be dressed like children. Alexander would have fit in quite well with a baby that was born to a hyster couple from Brooklyn, NY with his outfit. If that opinion makes me judgmental, or whatever, I don't particularly care. I love seeing children looking classy, regardless of their social status.

Last edited:

we got to the conclusion by you saying that the way Alexander is dressed is middle class and "vulgar". Unless you think vulgar is a positive?

There is a way to discuss this without calling a baby dressed in a hoodie vulgar. Quite frankly, you never had to even mention Sofia's middle class background. You simply could have said you don't think babies should wear hoodies. But YOU made it about class and YOU made it into a negative. How is that so hard to understand?

I'm sorry but I think this comment is as crude as you seem to think the entire middle class is. You have absolutely every right to dislike the way CP and Sofia dress Alexander but to bring in Sofia's background and make arrogant comments about her social class is just reprehensible.

I also hate to break it to you but what little Alexander is sporting is not a hoodie – that's a jacket... because it's cold here in Scandinavia.

You literally say that how Sofia (because apparently CP doesn't have a say in how his son is dressed, or?) dresses Alexander (based on one (1) candid picture) is inappropriate which "makes sofia's middle-class background show". That's not us jumping to conclusions, that's us reacting to what you condescendingly have concluded.

And still, while getting miffed that people question your motives for calling the collective middle class' preferred style of clothing cheap, you still manage to make it sound like middle class is something bad? You correlate a word like "vulgar" with an entire socio-economic group. What is that even? I mean, gee, I come from a working class background, does that, per your definition... mean that I dress worse than vulgar?

I hate to tell you but it looks like Estelle wore a hoodie to the hockey game with her dad :flowers:

She also wore a national team jersey, jeans and, yes, you guessed it, boots when meeting the Swedish national hockey team a few years back. What has the world come to? :eek::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Fashion for the little and teenage royals Part 9: April 2016 -

Vulgar is a personal opinion. As is the idea that children should look like children. To me Alexander looked like a child and vulgar to me is mini skirts on a 2yr old. I have never seen any royal child look "middle class" (whatever that means) and vulgar. On private outings most look normal to me and on special occasions most look great and some (George) look a bit excessive. But his little lord fauntleroy look is not just for me.

Edit: for what it's worth. I'm happy royal children get to look and behave like "normal" children these days and are not always dressed up.

Last edited:
Alexander at these photos from Thursday (and the other swedish royal children) is wearing totally "normal" children's clothes, which all children in Scandinavia wear all the time. They aren't wearing teen's clothes, or adult clothes, they wear clothes made for children. These clothes are made for children to wear. For me there aren't "middle-class clothes" and "royal clothes" for children. The children, even the royal children, wear what is comfortable for them and what keeps them warm, especially now in the end of autumn and in the winter when it is cold here.

No problem, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one that enjoys seeing children, especially really young children be dressed like children. Alexander would have fit in quite well with a baby that was born to a hyster couple from Brooklyn, NY with his outfit. If that opinion makes me judgmental, or whatever, I don't particularly care. I love seeing children looking classy, regardless of their social status.
I would be interested in seeing a few examples of what you and a few others consider to be "dressed like children" for a boy (or a girl) of that age. :flowers:
And a royal child on top of that.

This is what kids in the Nordic countries dress like, at that age.

Besides, what should have his parents put on his little head to protect it from the cold? A crown? A top hat?

And I wouldn't make a comparison with Oskar as he was wearing a white singlet in New York, I mean just like the ones adult construction workers use here in Sicily. :ohmy:

When Prince George carried out his high-level meeting with President Obama last April, he chose just the right footwear: airplane-adorned velvet slippers. (What else?)

The slippers, like many of the adorable clothes and shoes worn by George and his little sister Princess Charlotte, were made by Trotters, the London children’s boutique where Princess Kate is a regular.

“As soon as either Prince George or Princess Charlotte are photographed wearing a particular item, that style becomes very much in demand,” says Sophie Mirman, founder and managing director of Trotters. “Not just in the U.K. — we send orders to the Middle East, even to Mongolia. We have customers all over the world that want that very British style.”
Read more: Go Inside Trotters, Where Princess Kate Buys George and Charlotte’s Shoes

26th October 2016 - The Crown Princely family of Brunei watch the "BRUNEI-JAPAN BADMINTON EXCHANGE". The youngest is not with them.
**Family pic**

29th October 2016 - Princess Sarah of Brunei with her 3 children, Prince Abdul Muntaqim, Princess Muneraah and the youngest Prince Muhammad, at the "5TH BRUNEI OPEN AND MASTERS".
**Family pic**

30th October 2016 - Every member of the Crown Princely family watch the second day of the "5TH BRUNEI OPEN AND MASTERS".
**Family pic**

Oh my. I have to agree. Those dresses are too short, too childish (epsecially for Lenore), too informal and too... well, I don't like them for many reasons.

i thought the same. the dresses are not structured enough for a formal event. they look like something you'd wear to the beach or inside your house as indoor wear to be comfy on your sofa!

plus, it is cold at this time of the year in europe. a coat would have helped make the whole outfits look a bit more polished.

I agree with all the comments in regards to what Leonor and Sofia wore for today's event. The dresses are not just not right for a formal event. They would be cute for an informal day out and the grey dress looks like a tunic that needs leggings under it.

I agree that the dresses are too casual and too short for such a formal occasion. I've seen Letizia wear clothing that seemed quite casual or out of place for various formal events in the past, though, so that might carry over into her choice of attire for the girls.

To be fair, though, it can be a struggle to find clothing that's both age and event appropriate for girls at this in between age.

Sofia's dress would have been really nice if it had been short-sleeved (that would be something I could see myself wearing), but I dislike the long sleeves. About Leonor's dress somehow looking "too childish", well, what can I tell you, Leonor is a child. I also struggle a bit with the sentiment that the dresses should be too short. Again, they're children, these are perfectly standard length dresses for kids. I doubt it was too chilly for this length, otherwise they surely would have worn tights. How exactly are they too short?

Last edited:
:previous: Those dresses would have looked good on children 5 - 10 years younger apiece as play clothes! They are just so "little girl" and, while I love braided hair, the same applies, they look like mum braided their hair to keep it off their faces not as an age appropriate chic style for two young princesses attending an important official engagement.

I like both Leonore and Sofia's dresses and I don't think that Leonor's dress looks too childish on her. It looks just fine to me. I do, however, think they would have looked better with tights, because the dresses both appear to be in a winter design and for that reason, I feel like their outfits are missing something (the tights or a winter coat). But perhaps the weather over there is not cold enough for tights yet.

:previous: Thanks for sharing that photo, Molly. It's lovely to see that Louise appears to be more involved with royal engagements now. Did this event take place this evening? Louise looks charming in her smart blouse and skirt.

I think the reception was on 17th November. I like that their parents are involving them with engagements they they know would interest them. There must be some perks to bring the daughter of a Prince right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom