Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Current Events 1: May 2018 - March 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, but I'd also add in art and music to that. You don't have to be good at it to enjoy it, all of those are important to the developing brain.

Edited to add: It also ties in perfectly to the larger support for mental health narrative.

The embargoed/ unannounced engagement perhaps:

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex visited @One25Charity to see how they are helping women to break free from street sex-work, addiction and other life-controlling issues. #RoyalVisitBristol

The Duke & Duchess of Sussex have made an unannounced visit to @One25Charity which supports sex workers in Bristol. Meghan decided to write messages of support for the women on bananas which are put in food bags for them. The charity also distributes hot water bottles and condoms

This engagement was not announced to protect the womens safety.

Meeting volunteers who run @One25Charity’s outreach programme, which is a lifeline for the 150 women still trapped on Bristol’s streets.

The Duchess helped pack lunches and warm clothing which will be distributed to women working on the streets tonight #RoyalVisitBristol

"It was the most incredible idea – this small gesture.”

Announcing “I am in charge of the banana messaging!”, she wrote a series of messages on the bananas to say: “You are strong”, “You are loved”, “You are brave”, “You are special”.

#RoyalVisitBristol

I am in charge of banana messaging :lol:

A video of being in charge of banana messaging:

Last edited:
Omid Scobie

Verified account

@scobie

Following Following @scobie
More
Her messages included: You are special❤️ - You are strong❤️ - You are loved❤️ - You are amazing❤️.
“That really touched me,” @One25Charity CEO Anna Smith tells me. “She listened and heard that we don’t judge, we just offer our service. She totally got it.”

Wow. That is pretty amazing.

"Meghan showed she really understood that our women need love and support to help them trust and move on." ~ Anna Smith CEO of One25Charity

I won't be surprised to learn Meghan went back and did something with them later on.

Seemed like the RRs really enjoyed this trip to Bristol as well. Overall great engagements.

From Hannah Furness of the Telegraph

"So much actual substance. We are a very happy bunch (no banana pun intended) ��"

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that off topic posts have been deleted.

Last edited:
Today's engagements were all great, and seeing that little banana message gesture come to fruition was great. What an uplifting idea, and so easily done. I'm sure these little messages will bring smile on the faces of the people receiving them. Well done!!

Hannah Furness

Verified account

@Hannah_Furness
Following Following @Hannah_Furness
More Hannah Furness Retweeted Kensington Palace
And finally, in a busy day, Prince Harry asked for a room to be cleared at @EmpireFightingC so he could spend ten minutes speaking privately to a 15y/o boy who was struggling to process his grief after the death of his father, telling him: "The same thing happened to me"

:previous: This is Harry at his very best. He felt the need to spend time alone with this young man and made it happen. Its called going that extra mile and making a difference in someone 's life if possible.

Warms my heart.

Hannah Furness

Verified account

@Hannah_Furness
And finally, in a busy day, Prince Harry asked for a room to be cleared at @EmpireFightingC so he could spend ten minutes speaking privately to a 15y/o boy who was struggling to process his grief after the death of his father, telling him: "The same thing happened to me"

This touched me deeply, as someone who lost her own father very young I know the hardship this boy feels. Losing a parent at a young age is devastating when the people around you do not provide the correct emotional support.

I found Meghan idea lovely too, but I think it would have more lasting impact if it was on a piece of paper. Having received such a similar message from an stranger woman last year it was very touching, and I was able to keep
It because it is on paper.

Here's a video of TRH The Duke and Duchess during the snowy walkabout and visit to the Empire Fighting Chance in Bristol today.

“Why is Meghan Markle signing bananas for sex workers to ‘empower them’?
This is one of the weirdest, most ridiculous things I have ever seen a member of the Royal Family do...”

Via Piers Morgan Twitter

Last edited:
That stupid quote by piers Morgan .....reminds me of a quote by Eleanor Roosevelt
“Do what you feel in your heart to be right – for you’ll be criticized anyway.”

Meghan and Harry have a great work ethic - even the Beast from the East part two can't stop them from their engagements! It must've been an added joy for the children to see them after already getting a day of school due to the snow.

Who gives a crap what Piers Morgan thinks, oh wait, nobody.

Apart from Piers Morgan :D Never liked the man. This tweet speaks volumes about him.

Piers whining about Meghan? Who cares? He is obsessed with her.

I’m surprised people find it acceptable to make childish innuendos about bananas when talking about support for sex workers. It’s quite an appalling joke under the circumstance. Surprised they haven’t joked about the charity for feeding them bananas in the first place. I mean, who care about nutrition value and emotional support when one can make a cheap innuendo I guess?

Last edited:
Piers would be singing a different tune had he got an invitation to the wedding. That's what bugs him. I'd like to see what he has done to encourage and empower sex workers.

Um, that might be a bit of an awkward question!

Hannah Furness

Verified account

@Hannah_Furness

This is the part of Harry I love. Of Diana's sons he may look the least like her, but he is the most like her in personality. He has her way with connecting to people. It doesn't surprise me he took the time to be with the kid and talk to him.

I *LOVE* what Meghan did! And One25 is an organization that helps women trapped in sex work leave sex work. But sometimes it can be months or even years before they're ready to do that.

“Why is Meghan Markle signing bananas for sex workers to ‘empower them’?
This is one of the weirdest, most ridiculous things I have ever seen a member of the Royal Family do...”

Via Piers Morgan Twitter

Staff and volunteers at the @One25Charity are doing a great job trying to help these women. For these women to be strong enough to be able to break free of street walking, and other addictions that control their lives, they need understanding, love, and support without being judged and these messages by Meghan were meant to empower and support these women to be strong; these women do not need to be laughed at.

Staff and volunteers at the @One25Charity are doing a great job trying to help these women. For these women to be strong enough to be able to break free of street walking, and other addictions that control their lives, they need understanding, love, and support without being judged and these messages by Meghan were meant to empower and support these women to be strong; these women do not need to be laughed at.
:flowers:
Indeed. Only people with limited understanding of these women's plight or a deliberate agenda to belittle them & their supporters could say otherwise.

Piers was not criticizing the organization or the work they do. Nor was he criticizing a royal supporting such a charity.

Piers was criticizing the writing on a banana. He found writing notes on a banana to be bizarre and unnneccessary. And I am sure many people found it a bit odd to say the least.

One25 helps women who have been forced into prostitution due to extreme poverty, or who were escaping violence. Its not about feeding women who may choose to take up prostitution for whatever selfish reason people posted. Its about helping those women who are desperate to get out of the life, and providing them ways to do so.

https://one25.org.uk/

I find it interesting that supporting human trafficking charities is acceptable. But when it is local prostitution, people cant see the real issues involved.

From someone at the organization

A former sex worker-turned-volunteer named Sam said: “I can imagine being on the van, and [hearing] ‘Meghan wrote this thing, and what?’ I think they might not eat it. I think that banana would be at home until it is rotten. Because I would do the same.”

That really is the heart of it. Giving them some encouragement. That is were is started when you are so low. People don't have to agree with it. Most won't. It is not a pretty cause that they just lent their name to and that is the point. I admire them for bringing awareness to it. The CEO said that since the visit the phone hasn't stopped ringing and a lot of donations came in. Good for them.

One thing I was surprised about was how many mothers said they’ve done similar things for their children, and grown ups remembering their mothers doing this for them. Notably, one of the RRs, Omid Scobie, shared that his mother used to write messages to him and his brothers on fruits in their lunch bags. It’s not surprising though since Meghan got the idea from a woman who wrote message to children on their fruits to make them feel special and strong. I think sometimes people take those small things for granted. But it means the world to those who never had much of it.

Last edited:
Please note that after further discussion, a number of off-topic posts have been deleted.

Whilst the issues surrounding the sex trade, the trafficking of people into the sex trade and associated issues concerning drugs etc are important social issues worthy of discussion and awareness, The Royal Forums is fundamentally about royalty. Accordingly, we must recognise that this thread relates to the current events of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex only, and that the specific social issues connected to the events that they are involved in should be limited or discussed elsewhere. Thank you for your understanding.

Some parents/guardians have been doing this kind of thing for many years. It was nice for Meghan to do it as well.

Up Next for the Duke & Duchess of Sussex: The Endeavour Awards on February 9th. And Prince Harry will be in Norway on Valentine's Day. So perhaps M&H will celebrate their sweet love on February 13. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom