Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 8 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Harry’s farewell to his grandmother was a lovely and heartwarming statement. It was indeed very Harry, and I can imagine him articulating it.

It is interesting how in the first paragraph, he refers to "Her Majesty The Queen" and "her husband, Prince Philip" (the former is OK, the latter seems odd). Then,in the second paragraph, he moves to "Granny" and then mixes both the familiar and formal address in "my father, The King" with a greater weight, however, on "King" than "father".

Let's see if he keeps his promise to honor the King. ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am grateful to the internet because I can watch everything. Living in Italy I would be able to watch on television only the main events and some highlights. Instead I can watch the BBC coverage on their site and switch to one of the countless live streaming on Youtube when they start chatting with the experts or interviewing random people.

Again, please keep any unnecessary Sussex-related commentary away from these threads.

I am grateful to the internet because I can watch everything. Living in Italy I would be able to watch on television only the main events and some highlights. Instead I can watch the BBC coverage on their site and switch to one of the countless live streaming on Youtube when they start chatting with the experts or interviewing random people.

Agreed. It's extremely useful for many of us.

What wonderded me: why was the royal hearse only guided by one motored police officer (in an ugly yellow jacket) and not by a ceremonial motorcade? With all the glanz und gloria of the Accession and the Proclamation, this "handling" of the hearse of a Queen was a bit a contrast to me. (This is what I mean, a ceremonial motorcade guides the hearse of Queen Juliana to be laid in state).

This is only the first stage, and just because another country does things differently it does not make either wrong. Everything that is happening is as the Queen requested it and that is what matters.

Looking at those pictures, they all look so tired. They must be wiped out with from the personal emotional stress, the public pressure, and just the sheer effort of multiple flights, wardrobe changes, ceremonies, and so on.

Looking at those pictures, they all look so tired. They must be wiped out with from the personal emotional stress, the public pressure, and just the sheer effort of multiple flights, wardrobe changes, ceremonies, and so on.

Yes, I imagine them yearning to be home, feet up, gin & tonic in hand.
These are not young people!

Yes, I imagine them yearning to be home, feet up, gin & tonic in hand.
These are not young people!

No, but after my mother died earlier this year, the last thing I wanted to do was just sit. Sitting gave me time to brood and brooding led to depression and crying. I'm sure they're exhausted, both mentally and physically, but perhaps like a lot of people, keeping busy allows them to keep their minds focused on something other than their grief.

When the Queen passed away was there a royal mortician that prepared the Queen's body at Balmoral?
I have seen no reference to anything of that sort in any articles but surely it must of been done in light of the fact that the Queen's body and coffin would be transported to multiple places and it will be well over a week from death to her funeral.

When the Queen passed away was there a royal mortician that prepared the Queen's body at Balmoral?
I have seen no reference to anything of that sort in any articles but surely it must of been done in light of the fact that the Queen's body and coffin would be transported to multiple places and it will be well over a week from death to her funeral.

This article is from the Fail but it does name the undertakers and gives details about the special lead-lined coffin used, which preserves the body. I would imagine a representative of this firm went up to Balmoral to tend to things beforehand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11204497/Details-Queens-coffin.html

Agreed. This has to be mentally and physically exhausting for them. And it’s all so public.

Everyone just looks so sad, but Princess Anne has really looked gutted.

This article is from the Fail but it does name the undertakers and gives details about the special lead-lined coffin used, which preserves the body. I would imagine a representative of this firm went up to Balmoral to tend to things beforehand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-11204497/Details-Queens-coffin.html

I am sure that Her Majesty's body was embalmed as soon as possible after her death but I am also sure that process is not going to be discussed or even mentioned in any newspaper article.

On September 12th, Emperor Naruhito, Empress Masako, Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko dispatched their Chief Chamberlains (Koro Bessho and Kawai Chikao) to the British Embassy in Chiyoda, Tokyo to express condolences.
Source: Sankei

On September 13th, Crown Prince Akishino and Crown Princess Kiko visited the British Embassy after 9am to express condolences. They stayed at the embassy for about 15 minutes.

What a lovely statement from the Princess. And very thoughtful mention of her brother as well.

What a lovely statement from the Princess. And very thoughtful mention of her brother as well.

You took the words out of my mouth. It was a lovely, heartfelt, classy statement. And, indeed, very thoughtful of her to mention Charles- thanking people for their support of him.

The statement from Princess Anne was lovely, very personal, and a good reminder that while they may be royal, and have duties that they strive to fulfill, they are members of a family first.

Wonderful statement from the Princess Royal!

Ardern is not a Head of State; King Charles III is of course the Head of State of New Zealand in accordance with S.5(1) of the Constitution Act, 1986.

I believe that New Zealand will be represented by the Governor-General, Dame Cindy Kiro. I expect the Governors General of Australia and Canada to attend too, but, if the respective prime ministers are available, I assume they will also be at the funeral.

Will the King of the Maoris attend?

The London Institute for Contemporary Christianity and Bible Society has released a hymn called 'Tears and Celebration’ after the death of Her Majesty The Queen. The song was about "remembrance, assurance, and thanksgiving, giving voice to the hearts and minds of people all over the world". It was written by Andy Flannagan and Sam Hargreaves and sung by mezzo-soprano Katherine Jenkins. The hymn is to the tune of ‘Dim Ond Iesu/Cymraeg’ (or “Here is love vast as the ocean”).

I'm glad that Edward and Sophie have been here today, and that Anne and Tim have been to Glasgow. The focus has inevitably been on London and Edinburgh, but the rest of the country is grieving too.

Colbert finally got around to monologuing about some of this and he made me laugh about things I've been sad about for a week, so I thought I'd share and give others some levity. Fair warning: he doesn't cross any lines, but he's not ultra-deferential either, and some of this is probably only funny if you're North American.

Reactions: RJC
The Earl and Countess of Wessex are in Manchester today, September 15:

Princess Anne and husband Tim are in Glasgow:

The Prince and Princess of Wales are visiting Sandringham:
The supporting cast of the new king and queen consort in action... (with the added bonus of Tim)

The London Institute for Contemporary Christianity and Bible Society has released a hymn called 'Tears and Celebration’ after the death of Her Majesty The Queen. The song was about "remembrance, assurance, and thanksgiving, giving voice to the hearts and minds of people all over the world". It was written by Andy Flannagan and Sam Hargreaves and sung by mezzo-soprano Katherine Jenkins. The hymn is to the tune of ‘Dim Ond Iesu/Cymraeg’ (or “Here is love vast as the ocean”).

For those who like to read the lyrics: see here.

It is a beautiful song and they really tried to ensure that others could learn from it to but it is rather close to making her a saint...

Back
Top Bottom