Death of HM Queen Elizabeth II: 8 September 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am sure every Head of State, royals included, will attend.

If the funeral if on the 19th that will mean that many heads of state will have to someone to represent them because that is right at the start if the High Level Week at the UNGA. It has been confirmed that Biden, Macron and Ardern are all slated to be at the UNGA on the 19th for example. And the UNGA is not something they can just NOT show up to.

Ardern is not a Head of State; King Charles III is of course the Head of State of New Zealand in accordance with S.5(1) of the Constitution Act, 1986.

Section 5 Demise of the Crown

(1) The death of the Sovereign shall have the effect of transferring all the functions, duties, powers, authorities, rights, privileges, and dignities belonging to the Crown to the Sovereign's successor, as determined in accordance with the enactment of the Parliament of England intituled The Act of Settlement (12 & 13 Will. 3, c. 2) and any other law relating to the succession to the Throne, but shall otherwise have no effect in law for any purpose.
I believe that New Zealand will be represented by the Governor-General, Dame Cindy Kiro. I expect the Governors General of Australia and Canada to attend too, but, if the respective prime ministers are available, I assume they will also be at the funeral.

Will Emperor Naruhito attend the funeral?
He studied in the United Kingdom.
I don't know although I hope Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako attend.

The Emperor and Empress do not attend funerals by custom. The Crown prince couple would attend.

There are exceptions. Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko attended the funeral of King Baudouin of Belgium in 1993. Empress Michiko attended the funeral of Queen Fabiola in 2014. I think both were considered "private" activities.

However, Princess Hisako is going to the UK privately September 12-18 for BirdLife International 100th anniversary so maybe she'll attend if the funeral happens within her visit or she stays extra days?

Last edited:
I don't know although I hope Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako attend.

The Emperor and Empress do not attend funerals by custom. The Crown prince couple would attend.

There are exceptions. Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko attended the funeral of King Baudouin of Belgium in 1993. Empress Michiko attended the funeral of Queen Fabiola in 2014. I think both were considered "private" activities.

However, Princess Hisako is going to the UK privately September 12-18 for BirdLife International 100th anniversary so maybe she'll attend if the funeral happens within her visit or she stays extra days?

I am pretty sure Emperor Naruhito will attend the funeral unless there is a strong reason why he could not. Naruhito is close to the European royals including King Charles III.

Princess Charlene of Monaco has just published a post on Instagram:

hshprincesscharlene
Verified
I am deeply saddened at the news of the death of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, a truly great lady whose dedication and service was recognised throughout the world during the 70 years of her reign.

Today, my thoughts are with her family, her children, her grandchildren, her great-grandchildren and the British people.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CiSSoM-M_-B/

RIP HM Queen Elizabeth II. Your life was filled with more changes in humanity than most of us can quite absorb at the moment. The world population has very nearly quadrupled during your lifetime and we have gone from crystal radios to super high fidelity video communications where the average poor person has a portable device that can access much of the sum of human knowledge at will. Through it all you maintained your dignity and manners reminding us that we can all do better. Your example inspired generations of young adults with your calm handling of more crisis than should land on anyone shoulders and you handled them all with integrity and dignity.

The Tenor Bell of Westminster Abbey will toll every minute for the next hour to mark the death of Queen Elizabeth II.
The Tenor Bell is the largest bell at Westminster Abbey and is tolled following the announcement of the death of a member of the Royal family or following the death of a Dean of Westminster.

RIP HM Elizabeth II

I had hoped when the first report of her health came up yesterday it was not serious but sad to see this was not the case. :sad: I knew this day would come but hoped that she would celebrate 100th birthday. Sympathy for all who loved and admired her.

Her Majesty’s coffin has been placed in the ballroom at Balmoral and the staff there will have an opportunity to pay their respects over the next couple of days.

I read yesterday on the BBC website that HM will lie in State at St. Giles Cathedral for at least 24 hours, for the Scottish public to pay respects.

Is this canceled?

RIP HM

??

____

It still does not feel real, but I am happy she is with her family now ❤️

Last edited:
My condolences to the family and friends and wish them much happiness, may the Gods and Goddesses have Queen Elisabeth II in all safety.

King Carl XVI Gustaf has sent
Condolences to HM The King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
"The Queen and I have learned with profound regret and sadness of the death of Your Majesty’s beloved mother, Queen Elizabeth II.
Her Late Majesty was an inspiration to the world in her outstanding dedication and duty to her countries and to the Commonwealth.
The Anglo-Swedish bonds and the friendship between our peoples are centuries old.
On behalf of the people of Sweden, I extend my sincere condolences to Your Majesties and the Royal family, as well as to the people of the United Kingdom."
Condolences to HM The King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland _ Kungahuset
https://www.instagram.com/p/CiSEJfnqucw/

I just learned today of the Queen's death. My heartfelt condolences to her family and the British people! Such sense of duty and endurance are admirable. I am glad for her that she didn't have a long suffering and could die peacefully at one of her favourite places Balmoral.
My first remembrance of her was when I was a child and she and Philip visited Germany in 1965, especially the castle of Langenburg, Fürst Hohenlohe. Fürstin Margareta, the mother of the present Fürst, was Philips oldest sister. Part of my family lived in Langenburg, a small village. They went to see them and were very happy and enthusiastic about the visit. It was talked about in our family for years because it was such a special event.

The other family members seem to be gathering at Balmoral.
BBC reports that Zara, Mike, Beatrice and Eugenie arrived.

Former PM Boris Johnson’s tribute to Queen Elizabeth II.

unforgotten....

Paddington's last words in the video were also those with which the child character said goodbye to his Queen today via twitter....

Queen Elizabeth II

To the Royal family,
My deepest condolences .

Remarks about the Duke of Sussex have been removed.

Harry may not be going to London, and he may prefer to travel alone

I'm watching the beautiful service at St. Paul's Cathetral. I wonder if any members of the RF are attending. I find the service to be beautiful and absolutely comforting.

I'm watching the beautiful service at St. Paul's Cathetral. I wonder if any members of the RF are attending. I find the service to be beautiful and absolutely comforting.
I think not. A. They would be shown by the cameras. B. It seems that a lot of young royals traveled to Balmoral today and will be coming back in the next couple of days.

Who are the people the service? Where all invited or they just popped in? Many are wearing very casual clothing.

Politicians. And 2,000 tickets were made available for members of the public, on a first come, first served basis.

The traditional Scottish lament:

Floo’ers o’ the Forest

The other family members seem to be gathering at Balmoral.
BBC reports that Zara, Mike, Beatrice and Eugenie arrived.

Is this true? I am not quite sure why the would go to Balmoral.

Is this true? I am not quite sure why the would go to Balmoral.

To see their grandmother at rest in a private place before the eyes of the world are on them all for the next 10 days probably.

Back
Top Bottom