Death and Funeral of the 1st Earl of Snowdon: January 13 and 20, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kabiyesi Jesu, was my response when I heard this terrible news. May the Earl rest in peace and I pray for comfort for his family.

The Earl of Wessex will most likely attend because Lord Antony was his godfather and it seems he has the closest relationship to David and Sarah. The of York could also attend possibly.

I agree on Edward. I think, no matter if a 'small' funeral or bigger, we will see a few royals. Unlike the duke of Westminster, they are family. Edward at the very least, considered Anthony was his godfather.

It was a good photographer, I think to Lord Linley, his son and her daughter Sarah, I know that he had also an another duaghter with his second wife

Rest in peace , Sir

His son and her daughter?:ermm: makes it sound like they were a blended family. Both David and Sarah were Tony's.

Tony has two other children. His daughter you mentioned, her name is Francis. She has two daughters and a son. And then he also has a son jasper from an affair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, what sad news - not the sort of thing you like to hear at the beginning of 2017. May he rest in peace.

I am wondering whether any of the late Earl of Snowdon's royal nephews and niece will be at the funeral (Prince Charles, Prince Andrew, Princess Anne, Prince Edward).

This is probably unlikely but I still wonder what the chances of either one or both of the Cambridges attending the funeral as Snowdon's granddaughter Margarita was a bridesmaid at their wedding, which indicates that the couple are friendly with David.
It will be interesting though to see how many members of the RF will attend.

Last edited:
Most of the obits and commentary today have been about Snowdon as Royal photographer, but he was much more than that.

This is taken from The Times obit.

....Snowdon was also a man of great drive and talent. He was one of the pre-eminent photographers of his age, introducing an informality and dynamism to portraits of stars and royalty and exposing social ills in BBC documentaries and photo essays for The Sunday Times. Stricken by polio as a teenager, he used his royal status to campaign relentlessly for greater recognition of the needs of the disabled and handicapped. He was a talented designer — the Snowdon aviary in London Zoo being one of his proudest accomplishments....

..... At the age of 16 he contracted polio while on holiday in Wales and spent six miserable months in Liverpool Royal Infirmary, emerging with a withered left leg and a limp that he never lost.

However, his uncle, the flamboyant stage designer Oliver Messel, made his convalesence more bearable by arranging visits from Noël Coward and Marlene Dietrich, who sang The Boys in the Backroom for him.

Eton also nurtured his interest in photography and design. He revived the school’s photographic society, built a rudimentary enlarger out of soup tins and made illicit crystal wireless sets that he sold to schoolmates for half a crown each......

..... He began taking pictures for The Sunday Times, particularly its new colour magazine. Many of his subjects were famous — Francis Bacon, David Hockney, Alec Guinness — but he also produced acclaimed features on social issues such as children in poverty, the loneliness of old age, the homeless and the mentally ill. He relished the freedom he was given. “I could do long, serious pieces with the great luxury of 50 pages on India or 12 pages of Rudolf [Nureyev] and Margot [Fonteyn] in Vienna,” he recalled. “It also gave me the chance to illustrate social problems that people had tended to sweep under the carpet.”.....

.... However, the cause to which he remained dedicated throughout his life was improving the lot of disabled people, not least because of his experience of polio. His maiden speech in the Lords was on the problems that the disabled suffered in everyday life. He served as a trustee of the National Fund for Research into Crippling Diseases, with the Polio Research Fund, and on commissions that examined the needs of disabled people. He was president for England of the International Year of Disabled Persons in 1981.

Snowdon used his status to force the Royal Horticultural Society to admit wheelchairs and guide dogs to the Chelsea Flower Show, British Rail to improve access to trains for disabled people, and the Hospital for Incurables in Putney to change its name to the Royal Putney Hospital (now the Royal Hospital for Neuro-disability). In 1984, using his fees from royal photographic commissions as seedcorn, he set up the Snowdon Award Scheme (now the Snowdon Trust), which helps disabled people to benefit from further education.

Earl of Snowdon | Register | The Times & The Sunday Times

Oh, what sad news - not the sort of thing you like to hear at the beginning of 2017. May he rest in peace.

This is probably unlikely but I still wonder what the chances of either one or both of the Cambridges attending the funeral as Snowdon's granddaughter Margarita was a bridesmaid at their wedding, which indicates that the couple are friendly with David.
It will be interesting though to see how many members of the RF will attend.

Honestly margarita being a brudesmaid isn't that much of a sign. There weren't many options age wise in the family, and those of their friends with kids at the time, most weren't old enough. and other then taking their picture as kids. Not sure William or Harry had any kind if relationship with Anthony. It would be one thing for the queen or her kids to attend, who had a personal relationship with tony, but the Cambridges didn't. And David and Sarah are of age with Andrew and Edward, David was a grown man when Willisam was born. If it's a bigger memorial perhaps, but a smaller family one, I think we will see only older ones like Edward and possibly the queen and Charles.

Last edited:
His son and her daughter?:ermm: makes it sound like they were a blended family. Both David and Sarah were Tony's.

Tony has two other children. His daughter you mentioned, her name is Francis. She has two daughters and a son. And then he also has a son jasper from an affair.
Tony has another daughter, Polly, from another affair. She was born shortly before his marriage to Princess Margaret. She would be his oldest child.

R.I.P. This year isn't starting out on a good note. :sad:
While any death is innately sad, Lord Snowdon lived a full and productive life. Considering he was a Polio survivor, he lived to a ripe old age and only resigned from the House of Lords in 2016.

Being titled by virtue of his marriage to Princess Margaret was one thing but it wasn't his raison d'être and isn't the reason we stand in 2017 remembering him, to quote the Guardian obit, as "a photographer, film-maker, designer and champion of disabled people". He was not just a photographer who was once married to a pretty princess or that he was the brother-in-law of the Queen, but rather a man whose talent, while brilliant, was not confined to the lens.

He was a canny Welshman whose 1999 acceptance of a Life Peerage enabled him to remain in The House of Lords, a decision that shocked many. But his achievements show that his astonishing acceptance of that peerage enabled him to continue his life's work, not only for the disabled, at a very public level and he left a formidable body of work in that area of his life as well.

I stand corrected Polly was born after Tony and Margaret's marriage as per the blog article. I have to agree with Marg despite Tony's private life, we can't skip over the fact that he was a very talented photographer and his work and passion for the disabled/rights for the disabled cannot be forgotten. I agree with the rest of Marg's post also. He remained close to QEQM even after the divorce and it has been written that he often visited HM and had meals with her. They both had the experience of knowing Margaret and her moods/behaviour.

Royal Musings: Death of the Earl of Snowdon (1930-2017)

Tony has another daughter, Polly, from another affair. She was born shortly before his marriage to Princess Margaret. She would be his oldest child.

I forgot about Polly. I was going to say not really an affair as he wasn't married, but her mother certainly was.

As I understood it his children are:
Lord David Armstrong-Jones, 2nd Earl of Snowdon, married with Lady Serena Stanhope (daughter of the 12th Earl of Harrington)
Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones, married with Mr Daniel Chatto
Lady Frances Armstrong-Jones, married with Rodolphe Edler (= noble seigneur) von Hofmannstal
Ms Polly Fry, was married to Mr Barnaby Higson
Mr Jasper Cable-Alexander

Last edited:
Antony Armstrong-Jones, described as a bohémien in many obituaries, was surprisingly well-connected in the aristocracy. His first spouse of course was a princess of the blood royal. His son is the current Earl of Snowdon, his grandson the current Viscount Linley, his two marital daughters are a Lady Armstrong-Jones of which one married an Austrian aristocrat (the Edler von Hofmannstal). His halfbrother is the current Earl Rosse, his nephew is the current Baron Oxmantown and his halfsister is born a Lady Parsons.

Last edited:
His older sister Susan also married into the Irish nobility by her marriage to the 6th Viscount de Vesci of Abbey,Lord Snowdons nephew is Thomas Eustace Vesey, 7th Viscount de Vesci .

I've been battling an infected tooth the last few days & w/the Antibiotics I'm on, I've been out of it the last two days, so when I saw the Tribute videos show up in my Notifications listing over at YouTube... I knew Lord Snowdon's health has not been good at all of late, but wasn't expecting his passing, as it sounded as he was holding his own.

What a life he had!! W/out a doubt one that was very full.

Condolences to his Family & Friends. May he Rest In Peace.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

His older sister Susan also married into the Irish nobility by her marriage to the 6th Viscount de Vesci of Abbey,Lord Snowdons nephew is Thomas Eustace Vesey, 7th Viscount de Vesci .

Two of his half brothers (he had three, one from his dad and 2 from his mother) also belong to Irish aristocracy. After her divorce from Anthony's father, his mother married the 6th earl of Rosse. On the death of his stepfather in 1979, his half brother Brendan became 7th earl of Rosse. Margaret was godmother to one of Brendan's three kids. His other two brothers are the honourable Desmond parsons (mothers youngest) and peregrine Armstrong-Jones, his fathers son from his third marriage. He has four nieces and five nephews on his mothers side, not sure about Peregrine, and numerous great nieces and nephews.

Last edited:
Most remarkable how well-connected the Armstrong-Jones family is now. I can not imagine any other marriage with a commoner (Camilla is well-rooted but her children did not "marry furtherer") resulting in such a web of aristocrats and gentry. Intriguing.

I think Princess Margaret was happy to see her son, the current Earl of Snowdon marrying the daughter of the current Earl of Harrington. I am not sure if she had a desire to see her children marrying well, after all she herself married the first resl commoner in 400 years.

The late Antony Armstrong-Jones however had a typical upbringing. Was it because his stepfather was the Earl of Rosse or did the Armstrong-Joneses belong to the gentry?

Most remarkable how well-connected the Armstrong-Jones family is now. I can not imagine any other marriage with a commoner (Camilla is well-rooted but her children did not "marry furtherer") resulting in such a web of aristocrats and gentry. Intriguing.

I think Princess Margaret was happy to see her son, the current Earl of Snowdon marrying the daughter of the current Earl of Harrington. I am not sure if she had a desire to see her children marrying well, after all she herself married the first resl commoner in 400 years.

The late Antony Armstrong-Jones however had a typical upbringing. Was it because his stepfather was the Earl of Rosse or did the Armstrong-Joneses belong to the gentry?

Anthony's father Ronald was a lawyer, though he was also in the army during both world wars. He was sheriff of caernovenshire in 1936. His father was a well respected psychiatrist who was a commander of the British empire. He was sheriff of the same district as his son a decade earlier. His father had been knighted. the position of sheriff if that particular area has been held by three members of Anthony's family. His grandmother Margaret Armstrong Jones was the daughter if Sir Owen Roberts, a well known educator, who also held the sheriff position prior to his son in law and grandson.

Anthony was five when his mother married the earl but he was the poster boy of boarding schools. His sister was the only one to visit him when he was in hospital for six months with polio. His fathers family was more educated then overtly wealthy or gentry status.

As for camillas kids. You can certainly argue Laura married up. Though Camilla came from wealthy connections, gentry, her aristocratic blood was minimal. Her maternal grandfather was a baron. You have to go back two more generations for an earl. The Shand side it is much further back.

Harry Lopes on the other hand has four aristocratic grandparents. His father is the younger son of Massey Lopes, the late 2nd baron of Roborough (the current I believe is Harry's cousin). Massey's wife was the daughter of the earl of mount Edgecumbe. Harry's mother is an Astor. His mother is the honourable Sarah Astor, daughter of Gavin, 2nd baron Astor of hever. Sarah's mother was the daughter if the earl of Haig.

I would say marrying someone with four aristocratic grandparents, including an Astor, is definitely an impressive family tree full of connections.

Last edited:
I agree with you, I forgot about the Lopes' background. Both the Armstrong-Joneses as the Shands did well. Camilla's own sister Annabel married Simon Elliot, son of Air Chief Marshal Sir William Elliot, GCVO, KCB, KBE, DFC & Bar, also not exactly someone "from the street".

;-)

Fascinating, these entanglements in the who-is-who of society.

Nice private funeral. Not only near his family home, but where his father, grandfather and great grandfather all served as sheriff.

I agree that there will be a larger memorial. It's pretty customary with higher profile people. Allows the family to mourn in private. And also allows more time to prepare a larger funeral.

Back
Top Bottom