Crown Princess Mette-Marit diagnosed with chronic lung disease: October 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Pity it is not in Engish !
It's not that informative. The article says that Crown Prince Haakon said, that the Crown Princess deals with the Covid situation professionally. He is quoted saying: "She is off like everybody else. She tries to follow the advice of the National Institute for Public Health." The article goes on telling about an appearance at "Spellermansprisen", a music price. And they muse about the probability, that the Crown Princess has already recieved the vaccine, as it was offered to the whole Royal Family by the Norwegian Government.

best wishes Michiru

I don't see how the speculative causes of her pulmonary fibrosis could have been discussed in 2001/2002, as her diagnosis was not known even to her at the time.

I was not talking about her illness, of course, which has not become public before 2018 - but I guess you will pretty much know!

I was not talking about her illness, of course, which has not become public before 2018 - but I guess you will pretty much know!

You were responding to a post regarding the public announcement of her illness.

Does anyone know about mette-marit's health? She doesn't have any event til 11th february.

The Norwegian Royal Court announces that Crown Princess Mette-Marit has re-started her medical treatment for her pulmonary fibrosis.

The announcement is made because of previous experience having shown that her medical treatment can cause side effects that may make it neccessary for the Crown Princess to be away from public life for longer periods of time.

I'm very sorry to hear Mette-Marit has restarted treatment for her ongoing worsening pulmonary fibrosis yet not surprised especially given the more recent dynamics currently taking place with her son Marius.

Pulmonary fibrosis is a progressive disease (gets worse over time). There is no cure, and it eventually leads to death.

I'm very sorry to hear Mette-Marit has restarted treatment for her ongoing worsening pulmonary fibrosis yet not surprised especially given the more recent dynamics currently taking place with her son Marius.

Yes, unfortunately, psychological stress can indeed exacerbate any illness, and regardless of opinions on her handling of the Marius affair, hopefully all can acknowledge that it will have placed his mother under enormous stress. On the other hand, the announcement does not say when the Crown Princess resumed her treatment, so another possibility is that it is not the symptoms or treatment itself, but the announcement and its timing, which have been prompted by the Marius affair (which I have also wondered about with the recent Ingrid Alexandra announcement), especially since it is about her expected break from public life. But, of course, it is also possible that neither the treatment nor the announcement's timing have anything to do with Marius.

Yes, unfortunately, psychological stress can indeed exacerbate any illness, and regardless of opinions on her handling of the Marius affair, hopefully all can acknowledge that it will have placed his mother under enormous stress. On the other hand, the announcement does not say when the Crown Princess resumed her treatment, so another possibility is that it is not the symptoms or treatment itself, but the announcement and its timing, which have been prompted by the Marius affair (which I have also wondered about with the recent Ingrid Alexandra announcement), especially since it is about her expected break from public life. But, of course, it is also possible that neither the treatment nor the announcement's timing have anything to do with Marius.
I had the same thoughts. Mette has suffered from this desease for years, she seemed to be much better recently. Now, she is worse which as you say might have been prompted by the Marius affair. We have to be careful about speculating what are the reasons of retreating from public duties until February. It would be understandable with a mother who had not this dangerous desease to step down for a while because of emotional stress. However, giving that as reason for the public, would be unlikely.

Thanks Lady Daly for explaining this desease and its implications. It sounds horible and life threatening. Mette should concentrate on her treatment and I am wishing her all the best for her recovery.

The Norwegian Royal Court announces that Crown Princess Mette-Marit has re-started her medical treatment for her pulmonary fibrosis.

The announcement is made because of previous experience having shown that her medical treatment can cause side effects that may make it neccessary for the Crown Princess to be away from public life for longer periods of time.

That is unfortunately to be expected.
Her condition is hardly going to get better, so no matter what it is to expected the she will at intervals need additional treatment.

To what extent Marius has influenced her condition is of course open to speculation. No matter what, it hasn't exactly helped! Marius sure hasn't been a great help to his mother. However, it appears the more serious issues with Marius started long before she was even diagnosed.

I had the same thoughts. Mette has suffered from this desease for years, she seemed to be much better recently. Now, she is worse which as you say might have been prompted by the Marius affair. We have to be careful about speculating what are the reasons of retreating from public duties until February. It would be understandable with a mother who had not this dangerous desease to step down for a while because of emotional stress. However, giving that as reason for the public, would be unlikely.

Just to clarify, the announcement does not say she will definitely retreat from public duties or how long she might be away from public life if she does, just that changes to her official program are likely based on past experience.

Just to clarify, the announcement does not say she will definitely retreat from public duties or how long she might be away from public life if she does, just that changes to her official program are likely based on past experience.
I just cannot remember where I got that info about "until February" which seems to be quite a long time. So maybe I am completely wrong.

No doubt that the Marius-saga can not have been to any help at all for her and may very well have worsened her already well known health issues.

Though i don’t think we should mix them up… She was diagnosed in 2018 after several years of investigation…

Marius has likely always been a ”big problem nr 2” side by side with her ongoing health issues…

I don’t envy her… One can only hope that Marius will wake up while he still has a mother…..

It is also autumn now and the weather has gone from mild to cold pretty quickly up here in Scandinavia… That’s a difficult time of the year for anyone who is living with a lung illness.

Last edited:
So sorry to read this :(, I was thinking she was stable at the moment and feeling good :(

The NRF sure does not have it easy this year...

Unfortunately, pulmonary fibrosis is a disease that has no cure. I hope Mette-Marit gets better soon.

Back
Top Bottom