Crown Prince Christian, News and Current Events Part 1: January 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well said Muhler! It was a big day for him. So what about the watch. Some are just looking for drama, click bait and find fault with everything the royal couple and their kids do.
I will never understand the people that spend time to bash on the royals they do not like instead of using that exact time to support the causes of the royals they do like

Why so much criticism about the children's clothes? I mean, Mary is the Queen of Recycling (and transforming her clothes), and now her daughters wear her clothes too. Instead of criticism, they should be applauded.

And isn't a rolex watch something that royals and celebrities alike like to wear? There's nothing surprising about it. It might be a gift as well. There's nothing wrong about that.

It is sad that it will be difficult for him to live a life outside the searchlights of the Press.

I understand spending money on a good watch but spending over £1,000 on that shirt I don't understand to be fair!

Sooo... he wore a Rolex.
As Royalty Observer pointed out, it could be a present. It could be an investment. It's something Christian has saved up for himself.
I've also noticed that it has been pointed out that the clothes he wore wasn't cheap.

Come on! He's the Crown Prince.
He was about to face the press on one of the biggest days of his life.
Apart from that, his family may not eat gold-dust for breakfast but they are reasonably well off, so a Rolex (a brand King Frederik is fond of as well) is hardly out of the ordinary.

I wonder if some people expect him to dress in clothes from Lidl.
Not that there is anything wrong with the socks you can get in Lidl, they are very durable BTW.
What kind of job did Christian do as a teenager to be able to 'save up' for a Rolex? I am totally fine with him wearing one but that sounds like rather far-fetched option...

Could the Rolex have been given to Christian as a gift?
It could even be a gift from your parents or grandmother, who until January was the Queen of Denmark.
We do not know. Christian can also receive an allowance from his parents.

Yes. And Christian turned 18 in October. It may have been a gift from godparents and/or family members.

Yes. Or a confirmation present. He can save up his monetary gifts. Really people. All royals have rich friends, godparents, family. They are not gifting each other peanuts. It's a different world.

Exciting time for Christian. The graduation ceremony is tomorrow. And he can continue the fun celebrations with family and friends. Enjoy!

Yes. Or a confirmation present. He can save up his monetary gifts. Really people. All royals have rich friends, godparents, family. They are not gifting each other peanuts. It's a different world.

Exciting time for Christian. The graduation ceremony is tomorrow. And he can continue the fun celebrations with family and friends. Enjoy!
Thank you!! Perfectly said! Looking forward to the ceremony tomorrow. Very exciting time for him and the family!

The graduation celebrations have started:

** gettyimages gallery ** rex gallery ** tt.se gallery **

What delightful photos and that's what makes FX&QM relatable. On such a day we are all just proud parents, regardless of whether we are blue-blooded or not.
Josephine is a teenager now, in case anyone should be in doubt. But Vincent (typical for boys) ain't far behind! In three months he will look like a typical teenage boy. And they have a remarkable resemblance with German shepherd puppies = too big paws/feet and and they can't really control them yet.

I find it baffling that the suggestion that royal kids too save up for something they want is apparently so far out.
I imagine royal children getting an allowance too - and also having to do some kind of chores (like tidying up in a living room or cleaning the kitchen) and I also imagine that being children of fairly affluent royal parents with a circle of friends, some of whom are very affluent, will get an allowance that is probably above average. - So it should be possible to save some of that money for something in this case Christian would really like. Including putting money into a savings account.
It's also quite common for children to have a savings account that parents and family pay into, to be at disposal when they turn eighteen. I would assume that such a savings account for Christian would also be well above average!
The big craze these years among Danish teens and young people is to trade in shares. It's actually encouraged in order to teach them about economy, and even with a modest investment, a bit of luck and quite a lot of insight that investment will often generate a considerable surplus. So it is impossible to imagine that Christian has had a bit of luck at the stock exchange?
It is very common among Danish teens at least to save up for something they really want, like a moped and when they have saved say 70 % of the amount the parents cover the rest. It teaches basic saving, without the objective being totally out of reach.
We did something like that with our daughter a few years back, she would like a moped when she was sixteen. Fine, if she saved 500 DKK (that she should easily be able to do) a month, she would in two years have saved enough to buy a brand new pretty good quality moped, in return we would cover the helmet, locks and insurance. - Weeell, there were too many temptations, so she never got a moped.
Something similar could have been the case with Christian.
Or you say: if you get an X average in high school (proving that they have worked hard at least) we will give you a drivers license. - That's very common here in DK.
FX&QM might have done something similar with Christian. If his grades are X, he will got a Rolex.

- So I would not that easily discount the idea that Christian in some way has earned, saved or worked for his Rolex.

Great pictures! I love this family.

Btw, I've been wondering about the schooling system in Denmark. For example, in Portugal, Christian would've started University and by now he would've completed the first year of college. But it seems that in Denmark they stay one more year in High School (or maybe the kids start school late around 7 years old?). Just curious.

Relatable is what I think about when I see these pictures and video. No rope off area, Frederik and Mary like any parents proud, happy, nervous, within the crowd. Im sure Christian is aware of the press but he looked like any 18 year old enjoying HIS graduation with his friends and family.

A blog from BT to follow the day
King Frederik enjoying his son's graduation but hey why not stop for a photo or two with the people around him.

Just seeing them in the crowd of parents and families, with many students in their hats remains me of my niece's graduation. You are so happy but also trying not to get lost. Taking videos, photos, and oh yeah who has the diploma? Such a great day.

Video of the student bus arriving to Amalienborg where the royal family welcomed Christian's class
Love how they are just another stop for the graduating students. Mary in mother mode waving them to go inside LOL

(..)

Video from the DRF. It's the students' big day!

From the Ordrup Gymnasium facebook page we can spot the family inside the ceremony and Christian walking on stage.

dad mode

Last edited by a moderator:
Relatable is what I think about when I see these pictures and video. No rope off area, Frederik and Mary like any parents proud, happy, nervous, within the crowd. Im sure Christian is aware of the press but he looked like any 18 year old enjoying HIS graduation with his friends and family.

A blog from BT to follow the day
King Frederik enjoying his son's graduation but hey why not stop for a photo or two with the people around him.

Just seeing them in the crowd of parents and families, with many students in their hats remains me of my niece's graduation. You are so happy but also trying not to get lost. Taking videos, photos, and oh yeah who has the diploma? Such a great day.

Video of the student bus arriving to Amalienborg where the royal family welcomed Christian's class
Love how they are just another stop for the graduating students. Mary in mother mode waving them to go inside LOL
I love it! Great photos and videos from a happy, but hectic day! I agree that it is Mary and Frederik in 100% parent mode. Mary taking photos on her cell phone. Frederik making sure Christian (in his understandable excitement and hurry to get on the party bus) did not lose his diploma! The video of Frederik probably yelling over all the noise to Christian about where his diploma is and Christian hurredly motioning that his security has it is not rude (as I've seen some try to imply elsewhere) but a typical 18 year old just graduated focused on getting on that bus to party with his friends. One thing that Christian can never be accused of is being rude to his parents!

The article with the video is humorous in summarizing the events of the stop at Amalienborg! Also apparently QMII was present also there to greet the students per the article. Mary ushered everyone inside quickly for any of the spirited traditions to take place inside the courtyard and not the public street (lol) and apparently the students left with restocked supplies to continue their journey! Love it!!

Love that they stopped by Amalienborg. And yes, just another stop along the route for the kids! That's great! I hope he, and his friends, have an amazing time celebrating this big achievement in their lives!

Last edited:

Btw, I've been wondering about the schooling system in Denmark. For example, in Portugal, Christian would've started University and by now he would've completed the first year of college. But it seems that in Denmark they stay one more year in High School (or maybe the kids start school late around 7 years old?). Just curious.
Well, a typical journey for most Danish children, including Christian is:
six months to three years: Nursing school.
three years to around six years: kindergarten.
Typical in the year the child turns six: preschool or 0 grade.
Then 1-9th grade in elementary school.
Here things vary.
Some take 10th grade at a continuation school, or go to a business or a professional school. Most (around 60%) go straight to high school.
Three years of high school and then graduating as Christian is.
Some go from there straight to college.
Many however opt for a gap year, where they embark on a kind of formative journey abroad, or get a job or an internship, some will do their national service as conscripts (almost all conscripts for years have been volunteers.)
Then they will often, but of course not always, opt for college, university, business school or a professional school or whatever, some will simply get a job and basically be unskilled workers.
By the mid 20s most will have finished their education.

And the car Christian and his mates rode on is an archetypical graduation ride. All according to tradition.
And in case you wonder about the signs: One of them, on the right side appears to refer to a teacher who they apparently plan to buy some new and better fitting pants for, having been looking at his "hængerøv = hanging-ass - loose-fitting pants hanging low, so the shirts spills out." - The word is also slang for an idling slop.
The sign, very common sign, on the rear says: one honk for a cheers - a big gulp of beer.
Two honks for bottoms up.
Three honks for t*ts.

To the expensive clothing of the Royals and especially the Crown Prince: His short arm Prada shirt costs alledgedly almost 1 600 €uros... I mean, it is not tailor made, it is just Prada! ...

And are the Danish Royals exclusively financed by the Danish taxpayers? Or have they vast farms and forests? I have not heard something like this - and there are not that many Danish taxpayers: It is a rather small country.

In the North of Germany close to the Danish border, there is this so called Hanseatic Understatement - a very German form of quiet luxury. Prada and Rolex are perhaps not really part of it.

To the expensive clothing of the Royals and especially the Crown Prince: His short arm Prada shirt costs alledgedly almost 1 600 €uros... I mean, it is not tailor made, it is just Prada! ...

And are the Danish Royals exclusively financed by the Danish taxpayers? Or have they vast farms and forests? I have not heard something like this - and there are not that many Danish taxpayers: It is a rather small country.

In the North of Germany close to the Danish border, there is this so called Hanseatic Understatement - a very German form of quiet luxury. Prada and Rolex are perhaps not really part of it.
It depends of what each person understands by quiet luxury? Do you believe that definition excludes brands? I think not. In my opinion, luxury should first refer to quality and both a Rolex watch and a 100% Silk shirt are exactly that. The watch is not ostentatios (ex: covered in diamonds) and the shirt is not covered in logos so both pieces of "clothing" discussed here qualify for the quiet part.

I'm a Danish taxpayer and you need not be concerned on my behalf. ;)
The DRF own very little land and bricks. Most of their investments and fortune is, I understand, in shares and art. Especially King Frederik has build up a modern art collection that may be worth something.
So even though most of their expenses are covered by the apanage, and the includes their "salary" the DRF is by no means super rich.
Quite a number of years ago I read an estimation that the DRF fortune was around 50 million DKK.
So if we say the combined fortune of QMII and the Regent Couple is around 10 million €, I don't think I'm way off target.
So they are rich but not very rich, and a lot of their assets cannot be sold just like that or cannot easily be converted to cash.
Around 20 years ago it was estimated that you could live a comfortable middle-class life without having to work, if you had a disposable fortune of around 5 million DKK. I think a contemporary estimation would be around 1 million €.
- Just to put things into perspective.

A Rolex in my eyes is an investment. And considering that Christian has PET officers near him 24/7 it would be fairly safe for him to flash that watch most of time, should he want to.
Should he decide to sell, it won't diminish the price that it belonged to a senior royal.
A Prada. There is no way in this world I would wear a shirt that expensive, even if I could afford it. It's incomprehensible to me. Anyway, my fellow Jutlanders would roll me in tar and feather and ship me off to Copenhagen as a punishment for being silly, if I ever did that.
But Christian is 18 and many of his friends belongs to the riches families in DK. The Ahlefelts, the LEGO family, the Danfoss family and so on. So a Prada in those circles would probably hardly raise an eyebrow. And when you are young you may want to show off and impress.
And again, graduation from high school is a big thing in DK!
It's hardly different from people buying an expensive wedding dress for their big day, only to wear it once.

I'm still surprised about the apparently excessive amounts of alcohol that are part of these (months-long?) high school graduation parties... (not only in Denmark but also in Norway it seems)

I don't drink, and I can't stand being around drunk people, so I'd opt out of those parties, but the drinking age over there is 18. If they all want to get wasted, they can deal with the hangover afterward. Here, the drinking age is 21, but that doesn't actually stop people from drinking at HS graduation parties. I was invited to more than a few waaaaaaaaaay back in the olden days of 2000 where the booze flowed, and that's when I noped out and headed home.

Who knew Catholic schoolgirls could put away the liquor? LOL

I'm a Danish taxpayer and you need not be concerned on my behalf. ;)
The DRF own very little land and bricks. Most of their investments and fortune is, I understand, in shares and art. Especially King Frederik has build up a modern art collection that may be worth something.
So even though most of their expenses are covered by the apanage, and the includes their "salary" the DRF is by no means super rich.
Quite a number of years ago I read an estimation that the DRF fortune was around 50 million DKK.
So if we say the combined fortune of QMII and the Regent Couple is around 10 million €, I don't think I'm way off target.
So they are rich but not very rich, and a lot of their assets cannot be sold just like that or cannot easily be converted to cash.
Around 20 years ago it was estimated that you could live a comfortable middle-class life without having to work, if you had a disposable fortune of around 5 million DKK. I think a contemporary estimation would be around 1 million €.
- Just to put things into perspective.

A Rolex in my eyes is an investment. And considering that Christian has PET officers near him 24/7 it would be fairly safe for him to flash that watch most of time, should he want to.
Should he decide to sell, it won't diminish the price that it belonged to a senior royal.
A Prada. There is no way in this world I would wear a shirt that expensive, even if I could afford it. It's incomprehensible to me. Anyway, my fellow Jutlanders would roll me in tar and feather and ship me off to Copenhagen as a punishment for being silly, if I ever did that.
But Christian is 18 and many of his friends belongs to the riches families in DK. The Ahlefelts, the LEGO family, the Danfoss family and so on. So a Prada in those circles would probably hardly raise an eyebrow. And when you are young you may want to show off and impress.
And again, graduation from high school is a big thing in DK!
It's hardly different from people buying an expensive wedding dress for their big day, only to wear it once.
A private "fortune" of 10 million € is very modest indeed considering that, based on the estimates that pop up on the internet from time to time, King Charles III's personal fortune alone is around 600 million (not counting the Duchies and the multi-billion-pound Crown Estate, which are held in trust). I have also seen estimates putting the personal fortune of the Orange-Nassau family in the Netherlands at least in the 200-300 million range, and the personal fortune of the Bernadottes in Sweden around 100 million. Of course, it is hard to tell if those figures are accurate or not.

I'm in uk , my nephews birthday was in september , therefore at the start of his formal schooling he was already technically a year older than his counterparts .

I'm still surprised about the apparently excessive amounts of alcohol that are part of these (months-long?) high school graduation parties... (not only in Denmark but also in Norway it seems)
Sweden isn't far behind.

Back
Top Bottom