Coronations and Enthronements

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Coronation of Charles X of France took place in May 1825 at Notre Dame de Reims
This was the last coronation in French history.
A new Holy Ampulla was cast for the ceremony
640px-Le_sacre_du_Roi_Charles_X_%C3%A0_Reims.jpg

686px-08303_cath%C3%A9drale_de_reims.jpg

The Royal Entry of Charles X into Paris on the 6th of June 1825
702px-Lejeune_LF_Charles_X_1825.jpg

Comparison of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II and King Charles III:

Comparison of the proclamation of King Juan Carlos and King Felipe VI:

The Coronation of Charles X of France took place in May 1825 at Notre Dame de Reims
This was the last coronation in French history.
A new Holy Ampulla was cast for the ceremony
640px-Le_sacre_du_Roi_Charles_X_%C3%A0_Reims.jpg

686px-08303_cath%C3%A9drale_de_reims.jpg

The Royal Entry of Charles X into Paris on the 6th of June 1825
702px-Lejeune_LF_Charles_X_1825.jpg
What is a Holy Ampulla?

The Archduke Joseph of Austria was crowned as King of the Romans at Frankfurt Cathedral on the 3rd of April 1764.
(He was later Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor)
456px-Martin_van_Meytens_015.jpg

Comparison of the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II and King Charles III:

Comparison of the proclamation of King Juan Carlos and King Felipe VI:

The Proclamation Ceremony and Anointing Mass of Juan Carlos I in 1975 was a far more splendid and regal ceremony.

It was magnificent, I agree. And it's such a shame that Spain has apparently chosen to do away with that type of Investiture for its monarchs.
Getting rid of the religious aspect of the ceremony leaves the installation/monarchy devoid of any connection to the history of the Nation, sense of continuity and therefore meaning.
My opinion only.

It was magnificent, I agree. And it's such a shame that Spain has apparently chosen to do away with that type of Investiture for its monarchs.
Getting rid of the religious aspect of the ceremony leaves the installation/monarchy devoid of any connection to the history of the Nation, sense of continuity and therefore meaning.
My opinion only.
I guess there was additional pomp for King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia as it was also a Restoration of the Monarchy and at the time Roman Catholicism was the State Religion of Spain.
A lot has changed in almost half a century!

Back
Top Bottom