Charles III: Accession to the Throne: 8 September, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've always thought the two state bentleys rather ugly tbh. Much prefer the various older rolls royce models.

Well we know Charles hates anything "new" in style, certainly architecturally, maybe that extends to cars as well;)

Why does he have to meet people right now? It seems like asking a lot, and none of these are the PM or the government. Not exactly vital.

Although for an introverted guy, the King seems to get a lot out of seeing people. For short periods, at least.

I wonder whether they are representatives of all the realms Charles became king of upon the death of his mother. It makes sense for him to meet with those representatives to emphasize the continuity of the monarchy (at least for the time being) -under a new monarch- in all of his realms.

I wonder whether they are representatives of all the realms Charles became king of upon the death of his mother. It makes sense for him to meet with those representatives to emphasize the continuity of the monarchy (at least for the time being) -under a new monarch- in all of his realms.

That's exactly who they are - the High Commissioners of the Realms are the equivalent of Ambassadors from non-Realm nations.

Why does he have to meet people right now? It seems like asking a lot, and none of these are the PM or the government. Not exactly vital.

Although for an introverted guy, the King seems to get a lot out of seeing people. For short periods, at least.

I think it's pretty important that he meets with the heads of as many organisations as possible, to establish himself as King, to honour their roles, their countries, their religions and keep the diplomatic wheels turning.

That's exactly who they are - the High Commissioners of the Realms are the equivalent of Ambassadors from non-Realm nations.

I couldn't find whom he was receiving (it is not yet in the CC), so thanks for confirming.

Well, the monarchy has continued in all the realms in accordance with their own law . We have seen over the past 48 hours that Charles III was formally proclaimed King in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. I don't know what happened in the Caribbean and other Pacific realms, but I assume similar proclamations were made. Even if some of those countries intended to abolish the monarchy, it could not be done overnight as there is a constitutional process to follow.

The meeting today with the High Commissioners highlights, however, that the Commomwealth is a priority for the new King, as it should be, and that he will strive to strengthen the bonds not only with the realms, but also with the Commomwealth republics .

Last edited:
I think it's pretty important that he meets with the heads of as many organisations as possible, to establish himself as King, to honour their roles, their countries, their religions and keep the diplomatic wheels turning.

He could do it next week or after the funeral, and I don't think it would make much difference.

He could do it next week or after the funeral, and I don't think it would make much difference.
The sooner he meets with people, the more importance he's according them and their organisations / countries etc. He's going to be non-stop busy hosting people for receptions and meetings as well as visiting all regions of the UK right up to the funeral and beyond. I don't think he has the luxury of taking much time off at the moment but he has other people taking care of his travel plans, his homes, his finances, his clothes and his meals so he does have the freedom to devote a great deal of time to his work.

He took the time to meet the representative of the UK and is going on a tour to the various countries within the UK, so the least he could do is also make some time for the High Commissioners of his other realms instead of delay that until after the funeral. So, I am glad this was included in the plans.

Commonwealth countries don’t have embassies with each other however, but High Commissions. High Commissioners of the Realms simply represent countries that still have the monarchy as Head of State. The majority of Commonwealth nations are republics of course, (though they still have High Commissioners representing them) and Governments of several of the realms have signalled recently that they may be joining them.

The sooner he meets with people, the more importance he's according them and their organisations / countries etc. He's going to be non-stop busy hosting people for receptions and meetings as well as visiting all regions of the UK right up to the funeral and beyond. I don't think he has the luxury of taking much time off at the moment but he has other people taking care of his travel plans, his homes, his finances, his clothes and his meals so he does have the freedom to devote a great deal of time to his work.

I'm not taking about logistics, I'm talking about the fact that he had 24 hours to mourn his mother. The King is not normal right now, nothing is normal right now, and I'm not sure what cramming a schedule for pro forma is going to do or how meeting a man in shock is considered a privilege.

Did his mother have to do this right after her father suddenly died?

I'm not taking about logistics, I'm talking about the fact that he had 24 hours to mourn his mother. The King is not normal right now, nothing is normal right now, and I'm not sure what cramming a schedule for pro forma is going to do or how meeting a man in shock is considered a privilege.

King Charles is a workaholic. He obvisously wants the things done asap and will rest later. It's his way to cope i guess.

Last edited:

This is probably how Charles wants things done - he’s been involved in planning for this period of time and he’s known to be somewhat of a workaholic. I assume if he’d wanted a slower pace with a less full agenda he could have had it, within reason.

Exactly, this wasn't planned last minute but has been in place for a long time - with regular updates. So, it must be what he (and the late queen) thought to be the best way to go about this transition.

When the PM visited him, they shortly discussed his loss and then he said something along the lines of 'but we'll keep things going' - while inviting her to move on and sit down for their official meeting.

Well she was quite busy:
6th Feb King George VI died at Sandringham
7th Feb The Queen returned from Kenya
8th Feb The Queen held her 1st Privy Council and then travelled to Sandringham
9th & 10th Feb at Sandringham
11th Feb The Queen attended a church service in Sandringham and then travelled to Westminster Hall where The King's coffin was taken.
12th Feb The Queen received The King of Norway and then had a meeting with the Prime Minister Winston Churchill.
13th Feb The Queen received a group of ministers and MPs for an address from the House of Commons.She later received the Prime Minister of New Zealand.
14th Feb The Queen received the Commonwealth High Commissioners and the Irish Ambassador. Later, the Queen received the representatives of Heads of States and governments who are due to attend the King's funeral.
15th Feb The King's funeral

When did the UK last have a fully English-born Queen consort? Camilla must the first in a while.

When did the UK last have a fully English-born Queen consort? Camilla must the first in a while.

The late Queen Mother was born in England. Unclear where exactly.

Queen Mary was born in London.

By blood I suppose it must be Anne Hyde?

Last edited:
The late Queen Mother was born in England. Unclear where exactly.

Queen Mary was born in London.

By blood I suppose it must be Anne Hyde?

I wasn't sure if the QMs counted as I considered one German and the other Scottish. But I suppose they are English born.

They’ve all been born in England since Queen Vic bar Alexandra who was Danish. Before that certainly with the Hanovers they were all German.

I’m not sure if Queen Mary spoke with an accent or if that was a myth.

I wasn't sure if the QMs counted as I considered one German and the other Scottish. But I suppose they are English born.

In that case yes it will be Anne Hyde wife of James ii/vii. And before her Henry viii's last wife Catherine Parr.

Last edited:
Well she was quite busy:
6th Feb King George VI died at Sandringham
7th Feb The Queen returned from Kenya
8th Feb The Queen held her 1st Privy Council and then travelled to Sandringham
9th & 10th Feb at Sandringham
11th Feb The Queen attended a church service in Sandringham and then travelled to Westminster Hall where The King's coffin was taken.
12th Feb The Queen received The King of Norway and then had a meeting with the Prime Minister Winston Churchill.
13th Feb The Queen received a group of ministers and MPs for an address from the House of Commons.She later received the Prime Minister of New Zealand.
14th Feb The Queen received the Commonwealth High Commissioners and the Irish Ambassador. Later, the Queen received the representatives of Heads of States and governments who are due to attend the King's funeral.
15th Feb The King's funeral

So other than government business, traveling, and meeting family, it looks like she had the traditional week. The world may move faster now, but I feel like a few more days would mean a lot to the King (workaholic or not) and not very much to all the institutions and dignitaries, in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
The tune in is "Star of the County Down" & the tune out is "St Patrick's Day".

Last edited:
We must remember this is HM's only chance at making a good first impression as the King. So he is putting duty first - before his own grief - and I have to say he is making a very good first impression. I know he is finding time in his own way to process all this.

Yes - she spent the time from her return to the UK until after the funeral meeting High Commissioners and Ambassadors.

The Queen Mother and Queen Mary also were receiving deputations and addresses of condolences.

The days between the King's death and the funeral were some of the busiest of her reign.

Officially by royal decree Camilla is Queen Consort not queen.

She is Her Majesty the Queen Consort ... the same as all other wives of Kings but the previous Consorts have dropped the 'Consort' term.

She is a Queen.

She isn't a Queen Regnant but she is a Queen just the same - just as The Queen Mother, Queen Mary and Queen Alexandra were Queens.

Officially by royal decree Camilla is Queen Consort not queen.

That's the same thing. The Queen Mother was HM Queen Elizabeth during the reign of George VI. No one called her Queen Consort Elizabeth. As such, Camilla is HM Queen Camilla not Queen Consort Camilla. The word "Consort" is being overused right now because it's going to take a while for people to hear "The Queen" and think of Camilla instead of Queen Elizabeth II. That will happen when you have a Queen Regnant for 70 years who is succeeded by a son, not a daughter, and that son is married.

Camilla does NOT have a lesser title than any other woman who was married to the king.

A number of off topic posts have been deleted. If you wish to discuss something other than the accession of Charles III, please take it to the appropriate thread, which is not this one.

In addition, this might be a good time to review The Royal Forum's rules, since there was a way too many argumentative posts, which are not permitted in any thread, at any time.

Any further posts along those lines will be removed.

Back
Top Bottom