Charles III: Accession to the Throne: 8 September, 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am glued to the TV! What a historic moment!

Seeing Camilla sign "Camilla R" was surreal and I was on edge thinking Charles was going to knock over the inkwell

The tradition is spine-tingling. Truly amazing and profound

Was this the first time a Queen Consort was present at the Accession Council? Or were Queens Mary and Alexandra also members of the Privy Council and those present?
And was Prince Philip present in 1952?

And in 1936 was Queen Elizabeth present at the Accession Council and at the proclamation of King George VI?

Camilla seemed to hesitate for a small moment before adding R to her name.

Was this the first time a Queen Consort was present at the Accession Council? Or were Queens Mary and Alexandra also members of the Privy Council and those present?
And was Prince Philip present in 1952?

Philip and the Duke of Gloucester were both present as members of the Privy Council.

George VI appointed Philip in 1951.

George V appointed the Duke of Gloucester in 1935.

This is the relevant entry in the CC for the 8th February 1952:

8th
COURT CIRCULAR
Clarence House
The Queen-held Her first Privy Council at 10 o'clock this morning at St. James's Palace.

The Duke of Gloucester and The Duke of Edinburgh were present.

Previously the Lords of the Council, of whom one hundred and fifty were present, Representatives of other Members of the Commonwealth, the Lord Mayor, Aldermen and Officials of the City of London, who attended in their Robes of Office, and other Noblemen and Gentlemen who were also present, approved a Proclamation proclaiming Her Majesty as Queen Elizabeth the Second.

The Proclamation was signed by the Lord Chancellor, the Prime Minister, a large number of other Privy Counsellors, Representatives of the Commonwealth and by the Lord Mayor and other representatives of the City.

At the Council Her Majesty made a Declaration, which was ordered to be published, and The Queen subsequently took and subscribed the Oath for the Security of the Church of Scotland.

Mr. Francis Femau (Clerk of the Council) and Mr. W. G. Agnew (Deputy' Clerk of the Council) were in attendance.

Apparently the inkwell was a present from William and Harry at some point in the past.

Seeing all these crowds cheering just confirmed to me the monarchy is not going anywhere in the UK at least

Camilla seemed to hesitate for a small moment before adding R to her name.

I can imagine it's difficult for her to process her change in position, the same as it is for the new king. Just like when you write the first check of the new year, and you write the old year instead.

Trumpets Ring Out for King's Proclamation

Cheering crowds welcome King Charles III back to Buckingham Palace

Last edited:
It is extraordinary when you think about it.

The fact that these two proclamation ceremonies with all their theatre can just happen after a gap of seventy years as if they occurred on a regular basis. Seemingly effortless.

There used to a third proclamation site in London but that was discontinued.

It's interesting that "the high and mighty prince" was modernized into "the prince," but the King was described as the "only lawful and rightful liege lord," which was not included in the late Queen's proclamation in 1952 (though it was in at least some of the realms other than the UK).

Yes I noticed that. It's a pity that "high & mighty" was omitted. It is poetic.

But the core message of the proclamation remains the same. The monarch is chosen by God - "beseeching God, by whom kings and queens do reign".

Whatever the C21st political reality might be it is Christian belief that remains at the core of the accession. And it can be traced right back through the generations.

Yes I noticed that. It's a pity that "high & mighty" was omitted. It is poetic.

But the core message of the proclamation remains the same. The monarch is chosen by God - "beseeching God, by whom kings and queens do reign".

Whatever the C21st political reality might be it is Christian belief that remains at the core of the accession. And it can be traced right back through the generations.

It is interesting that the text of the Proclamation, if I heard it correctly, uses the archaic " is come" as in the grammar of other Germanic languages.

Interesting observation. Yes the crown is "come to" to new monarch. Unsure when the the original text was written.

I think that's at least one of the Gloucester daughters there behind them as well.

It is interesting that the text of the Proclamation, if I heard it correctly, uses the archaic " is come" as in the grammar of other Germanic languages.

Yes, and it survives occasionally in other ceremonial contexts too. From the Canadian Parliament's Hansard (and I think I've seen it from the UK Parliament too):

The Hon. the Speaker said:

Usher of the Black Rod,

You will proceed to the House of Commons and acquaint that house that it is the pleasure of Her Excellency the Governor General of Canada that they attend her immediately in the Senate chamber.

The House of Commons being come,

Their Speaker, the Honourable Anthony Rota, said:

May it Please Your Excellency,

The House of Commons has elected me their Speaker...

Last edited:
King Charles III addresses proclamation council

King Charles III proclaimed i n the courtyard of St. James' Palace.

Thanks! Do you know if that will be the monogram we see everywhere? On Sky they said a monogram will be designed, not that there was one already.

My bet is that the pin , and the monogram, are from King George VI ( GR VI). Could be a logical nod to Charles III's grandfather.

Wasn't that Major Johnny Thompson inside the room at St. James' Palace?

If that tie pin is the new cypher, it seems the King intends to return to the use of the Tudor Crown.

The King's accession will soon be proclaimed in Canada.

Seeing all these crowds cheering just confirmed to me the monarchy is not going anywhere in the UK at least

That says nothing to be fair. There are uncountable thrones on the graveyard of fallen monarchies whose last monarchs were warmly cheered on their accession day.

Last edited:
What was the meaning Flag down on the courtyard ??

In the UK regimental standards are lowered down on the ground when the National Anthem is played. I think the UK is one of the very, very few countries to do so.

The Chief Herald of Canada, Samy Khalid, reads the Proclamation by the Governor General Mary May Simon announcing the accession of Charles III as King of Canada. The Proclamation is read in English and French and the announcement is followed by the execution of the royal and the national anthems.

EDIT: I understand Charles III will be proclaimed King of Australia and King of New Zealand at ceremonies in Canberra and Wellington on Sunday, respectively at 12 and 12.30 pm. As in Canada, flags will return to full mast following the proclamation and will be lowered again to half mast at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I wonder what colour his new Family Order will be.

Back
Top Bottom