Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
soCal girl said:
I thought Princess Claire's dress was beautiful. The lace sleeves with a little bit of the shoulders revealed looked great on Claire. The only thing I didn't like was the headpiece (I refuse to call it a tiara :D). But the dress itself was gorgeous.
Yep, it was gorgeous. Do you think I can borrow it?

soCal girl said:
Is it weird that I liked Mary's wedding dress sketch better than the actual dress? In the sketch you could see the beautiful detail of the sleeves and stuff much better.
Nope, not weird. The sketch was definatly prettier- it was an unfortunate case of the probability greatly outweighing the actuality. sigh.

LadyK said:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
Is it weird that I liked Mary's wedding dress sketch better than the actual dress? In the sketch you could see the beautiful detail of the sleeves and stuff much better..
I would think it (perhaps) because of the gown's material itself...

I never saw the sketch for Mary's dress but the skirt of the dress itself reminded me of a tablecloth. A really really nice tablecloth but still a tablecloth.:D It was something about the way it draped in the front.
Okay, I forgot one other favorite: Princess Anne's dress from 1973. It had sort of a medieval look and suited her so well. She looked so lovely!:)

bluebess said:
I never saw the sketch for Mary's dress but the skirt of the dress itself reminded me of a tablecloth. A really really nice tablecloth but still a tablecloth.:D It was something about the way it draped in the front.
Okay, I forgot one other favorite: Princess Anne's dress from 1973. It had sort of a medieval look and suited her so well. She looked so lovely!:)

Mary's wedding dress sketch was beautiful. You could see how the sleeves and the skirt of the dress were supposed to be. The actual dress is still pretty but much of the detail is lost in all the material and you just kind of see an ivory mass of cloth (for the skirt anyway). You could still see the sleeve details on the actual dress but I thought the sketch was much more beautiful. I saw the sketch on this forum and tried to find it again but could not. Could somebody post the sketch of Mary's wedding dress?

A replica dress of CP Mary's was made by a bridal shop here in Perth and it was absolutely stunning close up.

Thank you so much for the links to the sketches of Mary's dress. The sketches are beautiful. Maybe the dress should have been made of a lighter weight material to give the skirt a less heavy appearance. The bodice of Mary's dress is just stunning though.:)

The sketches of Mary's dress were wonderful - I really enjoyed looking at them. Duchess satin is a heavy material though - and I think lent a type of dowdiness to an otherwise classic and flattering design.

Faves for me were Princess Grace's gown (which was just perfect in every way) and Lady Sarah Chatto's.

Non faves were Diana's and the Countess of Wessex.

Although I am no fan of Princess Anne's style or lack of it, she looked lovely in her wedding gown and no one mentioned her.

i absolutely loved sarah chatto's and sophie's dress...so simple and lovely.

Hey Redfox6, I gave a shout out to Princess Anne and her 1973 wedding dress in post 155. I loved that gown!:)

bluebess said:
Hey Redfox6, I gave a shout out to Princess Anne and her 1973 wedding dress in post 155. I loved that gown!:)

I appologize. Didn't see it. I, believe, that it was a ready made gown, too. Off the rack, so to spek. Sophie's gown looked like it was ill fitting and not attractive at all.

What Do U Think Of This Wedding Dress Of Victoria Spencer Aitken Of Her 2nd Marriage

WEDDING DAY PIC WITH SPENCER KIDS:
i dont know if u guys have seen this but here is a new pic of EARL SPENCERs children
http://www.weddingsabroad.co.za/hello.htm#hellophotos

what do u think of VICTORIAs choice of wedding dress this time around ")

Smgaries, thanks for the pics, they are lovely kids and it looks like it was a beautiful wedding.
Redfox no apologies necessary!!!:) An off the rack dress for Anne? Sounds like something she'd do, very practical, no fuss, no muss. It was spectacular and she had and has a great figure.
Sophie needed the shoulders taken in on hers, it always looks to me like it's ready to fall off.

Pss Letizia of Spain. Some people don't like the gown because of its collar but for me that's what I like about the gown. It's queenly-looking...

Duchess said:
i absolutely loved sarah chatto's and sophie's dress...so simple and lovely.
I agree. Sarah's wedding gown was lovely in its simplicity. Mette-Marits's wedding gown was also very simple and very pretty.

Mabel Wisse Smit's gown of bows still lives on in infamy:D HAIL TO OUR LADY OF THE BOWS:D :D :D :D :D :D

I have to admit that Camilla Parker-Bowes surprised me (pleasantly!) with her gown she wore during the blessing ceremony. I was ooooing and ahhhing during the entire ceremony:D

Her daughter Laura was also very lovely on her wedding day. Her glow outshone the sun.:)

mgrant said:
I have to admit that Camilla Parker-Bowes surprised me (pleasantly!) with her gown she wore during the blessing ceremony. I was ooooing and ahhhing during the entire ceremony:D

Her outfit was very nice. Very pretty & tasteful. I am also a fan of Lady Sarah Chatto's (nee Armstrong-Jones) wedding dress & Lady Davina Lewis (nee Windsor).

I like
1. Lady Sarah Chatto's wedding dress was absolutely breathtakingly lovely.
2. Sarah, Duchess of York's dress was impressive. The intricate embroideries on the bodice and train was awesome and the edgings of her veil perfectly framed her face. She had a big fan-shaped bow at the beginning of her train and that influenced many a wedding dress at that time. I felt it was a carefully designed dress that made Sarah a stunning looking bride.
3. Princess Maxima. Elegant design. I love the lace veil.
4. Princess Margaret of Britain. Simple and beautiful. I really liked the highly visible hemming all around the edge of her veil.

I did not like
1. Princess Grace of Monaco's dress. It looks as if she is constantly holding her breath because it is tight around the midriff and she does not look relaxed. The lace in the dress and the veil was beautiful though but I dislike her headpiece - it made her look like a nun.
2. Diana, Princess of Wales. Unfortunately for the beautiful princess her fairy tale dress looked a trifle too crumpled on her wedding day. She rescued the day for me with the close-up shots that showed up the lace and beading details.
3. Princess Sybilla of Luxembourg. Why did she have that bulging hem in her dress?
4. Princess Caroline of Monaco's wedding dress looked too bulky in the photos but I liked the way the scalloped hemline just hovered above rather than dragged along the ground.

Last edited:
My Favourite Wedding Dresses

1. Queen Elizabeth II wedding dress was beautiful adn the detail is magnificent.
2. Princess Diana's- She looked every bit the fairy tale princess and she really diid look like the real live Cinderella. Even though her dress was rinkled I still think the dress and that Train!!!, so long, it looked breath taking!
3. Camilla, The duchess of Cornwall- I did like both of her dresses for the civil ceremony and the wedding. I liked how simple and elegant they looked since this marriage wasn't as huge as Diana's I liked Camilla's since of beauty with being elegant and simple.

I think Diana and Camilla both loked wonderful on their wedding day. Diana looked every bit the English rose and she was nervus which made her even more beautiful because everybody who had been married could relate to that. I don't know if everyone could relate to mixing up their husbands names though! :) :D
I also thought Camilla looked very nice she surprised me with her sense of style. I absolutely loved her dress for the wedding it really suited her body and fit well. I loved her flowy and elegant it made her look. Her adn Charles looked so happy when they married and looked seemed very nervous I think I saw her hands shake a few times! Both of those blushing so different and married nearly 24 years apart but they both loked great on their wedding day.

Lady Jennifer said:
Her outfit was very nice. Very pretty & tasteful. I am also a fan of Lady Sarah Chatto's (nee Armstrong-Jones) wedding dress & Lady Davina Lewis (nee Windsor).
Interestin g how Camilla was this polarizing figure once--still is for some of course :cool:-- yet how we can really all agree that she's been one of the best royal brides of late! :)

Princess Margaret

I've always loved Princess Margaret wedding gown. It is very plain and I've always thought that she looked lovely on her wedding day, although I've always wondered if Peter Townsend was in the back of her mind.

That's something that we will never know.

The photo is courtsey of Alamy Images.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/73/royalweddingsprincessmargaretw.jpg

Last edited:
mgrant said:
I've always loved Princess Margaret wedding gown. It is very plain and I've always thought that she looked lovely on her wedding day, although I've always wondered if Peter Townsend was in the back of her mind.

That's something that we will never know.

The photo is courtsey of Alamy Images.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/73/royalweddingsprincessmargaretw.jpg

I agree with you. Princess Margaret looked really lovely on her Wedding Day. I think she is the first one who wore such a simple plain dress. The next British Royal bride was Katherine of Kent, and her dress too was a simple design.

Was Princess Margaret the one who started the trend of having very young Bridesmaids. ? At the time it was suggested she had child attendants as she had no friends (or family) who were shorter than her!!!!!! :) I womnder if that was true?

WOW there really are too many to select so i have narrowed mine down to
1) Princess Mary
2) Lady Sarah chatto
3) Grace kelly and
4) Baroness Fransesca von Thyssen :)

As another thread is dedicated to wedding dresses...my choice of brides are:
1. Princess Elizabeth of Great Britain. She looked happy and in love.
2. Sarah, Duchess of York surprised me on her wedding day. She looked stunning and confident.
3. Princess Mathilde of Belgium, Princess Sophie and Princess Tatiana of Liechtenstein. I love their radiant smiles.
4. Lady Sarah Chatto looked lovely and contented.
5. Shy Princess Diana with the wistful look in her eyes makes her look so appealing.

Best:
Sarah Ferguson
Katharine Worsley
Diana Spencer
Margaret Windsor
Caroline Grimaldi 2nd time

The 80's were the best fashion decade it is now that clothes are repulsive

Best:
Infanta Cristina
Princess Laurentein

worst:
Princess Diana