70th Birthday Celebrations of King Harald V of Norway

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonderful party

It seems to be a wonderful party for HM the King of Norway. Long live King Harald!

Princess Maxima is beautiful, the color green really suit her. Love the pic of her dancing with Prince Henrik.

I have though that Princess Mary should wear that red dress last nigth, it suits her very well has she is pregnant!!
Cristina of Spain was very normal has ussualy, nothing fashion at all!MM very bad choice to me, the dress doesn't suite her at all, makes her pregnant again!
Algouth everyone talks about Madeleine I really think she should get congratulations because she has wear what she likes, although a bit different from all but that Pink dress was really her. Last nigth the blue dress shuits her really well, to me she was the best!

Last edited:
Today: Sledging

Today the Royal Family went on a tour with a horse-drawn-sleight.
This time Ingrid-Alexandra,Marius, Sverre magnus, Maud Angelica and Leah Isadora joined them.

Royal guests I saw so far: Victoria,Madeleine, Mathilde and Philippe, Princess Astrid (mrs. Ferner), The Swedish Royal Couple, The Norwegian Royal Couple.

Last edited:
I'm sure the pics will be posted when they become available. Until then, please be patient and avoid making "any pics?" posts.
Thanks. :)

Modifying a diademe to match your gown

On this picture you can clearly see that Princess Laurentien requested the Court Jeweller to replace the centre diamond by a big ruby, to match with her clothes. See this picture.

She only opted for one ruby. Queen Beatrix has worn the same diademe with three central rubies. See this picture.

I like it that attention is given to 'what matches with my gown?'.

Here is the Swedish fashion review, got to stay nationalistic is their motto it seems

Madde most beautiful in the Kings Palace
(graded with 1-5 *)

Madeleine *****
Re-used her Nobel gown, and let out her long blond hair under on of the Kings private tiaras

Victoria ****
A dress in a beautiful color that shows of her great body, on the head the fringe tiara that came to Sweden trough her namesake Queen Victoria

Silvia ****
The brown dress was made for the French state visit, as usually her court hairdresser Peter Hägelstam has created a stunning hairdo

Mette-Marit ****
She is often critisised but almost scores a full house tonight, sweet as sugar in a pink dress with white top

Maxima ****
Very pregnant and gorgeous as usual the Dutch Princess made her entrance, to her stunning green creation she had a big pearl tiara borrowed from her mother in law

Mary ***
Usually beautiful but her red velvet dress feels boring, on the head the same tiara and earrings as in her wedding

Märtha Louise ***
Usually she takes risks and experiments, this night she took it safe and chose and classic Princess gown with her private jewels

Sonja ***
Always keeps to her Queenly style, for her husbands evening she chose a grey dress with the famous Norwegian emeralds

Tarja Hallonen **
Her gala clothes are never special, an extra plus for the colour

Princess Anne *
Her interest in clothes seems non-existant, for Haralds party she chose a white dress with a strange big collar

Pics here Aftonbladet: Madde finast i kungens sal

Norwegian dagbladet, not online, has big pictures of Mathilde, Maxima, Mette-Marit, Märtha, Madeline and Victoria, and a small one of Mary, they like most dresses but thinks Victoria was a little to simpel, and they cannot praise Mathildes dress enough, they call it the most original and that the train reminded them of snow crystals which was the theme of the evening and the glows the most classy touch, and they say Maximas pearls are almost to big (Im sure some disagree:lol: )

Dennism said:
Spot on in both cases.

"The group picture of all the young princes and princesses is horrendous!! The guys look weird. "

Absolutely. Such a strange photo.

What are you talking about?! Guess who´s weird...!

Larzen said:
Maxima ****
Very pregnant and gorgeous as usual the Dutch Princess made her entrance, to her stunning green creation she had a big pearl tiara borrowed from her mother in law.

Nothing is borrowed from her mother-in-law.

In the 1960's all major jewels are transferred in the Foundation Crown Properties House of Orange-Nassau. The Swedish royal family did the same with the Foundation Bernadotte.

This means that even Queen Silvia and Queen Beatrix do 'borrow' their jewels.
The Dutch jewels were put into a foundation and made ‘subservient to an appropriate functioning of the kingship and to the uphold and maintenance of the dignity and prestige of the bearer of the crown and/or his House’
:flowers:

I wonder if these people feel somewhat odd in this day and age wearing the expensive tiaras, jewels, dresses/suits, furs just for a party? It seems extravagant and outdated. I can see tiaras/crowns/etc in the 1800's but not today. It looks a little ridiculous.

I wouldn't. I'd feel elegant. I remember how elegant and beautiful I felt during my two proms, and I expect they feel similar.

It looks wonderful and grand to me .

Roxsteve said:
I wonder if these people feel somewhat odd in this day and age wearing the expensive tiaras, jewels, dresses/suits, furs just for a party? It seems extravagant and outdated. I can see tiaras/crowns/etc in the 1800's but not today. It looks a little ridiculous.

What should they do with their tiaras and jewels the own in your opinion. Let the lay in a vault so that the never see the light of the day.
I'm happy that at last the scandinavian Monarchies give big balls where all the Royals wear their tiaras and jewels and not like in the other monarchies black tie.

someone please could tell me why Maxima is the only one wearing a diferente order????... the one that she have is blue, while the others ladys are wearing red

Atene said:
Lovely photo:wub: But that is Ingrid Alexandra and not Sverre Magnus.
Click on the picture, and then again on the sleigh picture, then you will see more, including some of Sverre Magnus.

Thanks for the many links to pictures last days!

Was the queen of Sweden ill? She was NOT with trip in snow!

lilytornado said:
Click on the picture, and then again on the sleigh picture, then you will see more, including some of Sverre Magnus.

Sorry my mistake :flowers: I thougt It was only one photo...

lis said:
someone please could tell me why Maxima is the only one wearing a diferente order????... the one that she have is blue, while the others ladys are wearing red

usealy she becomes such an order with a state visit; during the 5 years Maxima is princes, there was no State viste from or to Norway. Becourse she is a crown princes she is wearing here Dutch order.

Last edited:
I thought Marius was supposed to be at the sleighride. I just looked through most of the pictures that have been published and while there were plenty of the "royal" children, ie: Ingrid, Sverre, Maud and Leah, there was no Marius. Guess he didn't make the cut. It must have been a "Royal" only event. It's a good thing they have Morten to ship him off to. Of course, he was allowed to go the other events that were primarily family like the church service and the unveiling of the statue. Perhaps Marius got smart and went off to be with people who consider him a full and equal peer and are probably a lot more fun to be around. This is my opinion only and I am sure some of you will rush to defend the Royals with the standard excuses of why Marius, yet again, appears not to be at an event which the other family children are attending. Perhaps I missed him or perhaps the press didn't think he was anyone important and simply did not take his picture. IMO (and I realize that some of the posters think that I am not entitled to an opinion which is different from theirs or in anyway reflects badly on the Royals), actions speak louder than words. I simply find it very strange that Marius appears not to be attending what is definitely a "family" outing. Perhaps they felt that he would feel out of place among all his royal "betters". And in case you are interested, I feel as strongly about any child in any family, rich or poor, royal or common, being treated differently than the other children in that family. What should matter is the child not who their parents are or are not. Every child should be treated as an "official" equal member of their family. I give Haakon and Mette Marit (for I am sure they were the driving force behind it) full marks for finally getting Marius acknowledged as a full and equal family member on the Royal Family website. Let's hope I just missed Marius and he was attending. I would hate to think of the cream of European royalty subscribing to the idea found in George Orwell's "Animal Farm" that "...All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others..." I hope I have not offended you by my thoughts. I simply had nothing to add to the discussion about who had the nicest dress at the party the night before.

at last we can see the kids!!!! sverre is adorale and ingid in a little princess so sweet!
but the cold is terrible

lis said:

There has not been a State Visit from the Netherlands to Norway or from Norway to the Netherlands since 02-02-2002.
King Harald V and Queen Sonja visited the Netherlands 11 years ago, in 1996. See this picture.

King Harald has visited the Netherlands in 1996.
Queen Beatrix has visited Norway in 1986.

lsme said:
I thought Marius was supposed to be at the sleighride. I just looked through most of the pictures that have been published and while there were plenty of the "royal" children, ie: Ingrid, Sverre, Maud and Leah, there was no Marius. Guess he didn't make the cut. It must have been a "Royal" only event. It's a good thing they have Morten to ship him off to. Of course, he was allowed to go the other events that were primarily family like the church service and the unveiling of the statue. Perhaps Marius got smart and went off to be with people who consider him a full and equal peer and are probably a lot more fun to be around. This is my opinion only and I am sure some of you will rush to defend the Royals with the standard excuses of why Marius, yet again, appears not to be at an event which the other family children are attending. Perhaps I missed him or perhaps the press didn't think he was anyone important and simply did not take his picture. IMO (and I realize that some of the posters think that I am not entitled to an opinion which is different from theirs or in anyway reflects badly on the Royals), actions speak louder than words. I simply find it very strange that Marius appears not to be attending what is definitely a "family" outing. Perhaps they felt that he would feel out of place among all his royal "betters". And in case you are interested, I feel as strongly about any child in any family, rich or poor, royal or common, being treated differently than the other children in that family. What should matter is the child not who their parents are or are not. Every child should be treated as an "official" equal member of their family. I give Haakon and Mette Marit (for I am sure they were the driving force behind it) full marks for finally getting Marius acknowledged as a full and equal family member on the Royal Family website. Let's hope I just missed Marius and he was attending. I would hate to think of the cream of European royalty subscribing to the idea found in George Orwell's "Animal Farm" that "...All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others..." I hope I have not offended you by my thoughts. I simply had nothing to add to the discussion about who had the nicest dress at the party the night before.

Lsme...you are certainly entitled to your opinion...but I think that it is a big assumption to make since all the photos of the sleigh ride have not been seen or posted as of yet.

Furthermore...from what I can see Marius has been treated quite well by the Norwegian Royal Family but let's keep it in perspective. He is not royal and does have additional family members who appear to love him as well. From what I can see...he might be luckier than his siblings...he can take advantage of the perks of being royal but not actually having to deal with the headaches of being royal (ie. the constant press). Also, maybe he is with his father this weekend?

Well what I can say...I saw beautiful ladies whose wore almost all beautifull gowns with beautiful jewels...men were beautiful too. So almost everything was beautiful:cool:

Last edited:
Just because Marius isn't present it doesn't necessarily mean he didn't "make the cut". Maybe he is there and we haven't seen all the pictures yet. Or maybe he is with his father and step-mother this weekend.

All the royal men and ladies looked stunning this weekend and I would like to thank everyone who posted links to the pictures.

I think Mette-Marit is the star of the weekend she looked gorgeous at every event, especially in the ball gowns. Although personally I don't think she is pregnant but I could be wrong!
Maxima is second because although she is very heavily pregnant she still looked elegant and her smile lights up the room:wub:

Stefan said:
What should they do with their tiaras and jewels the own in your opinion. Let the lay in a vault so that the never see the light of the day.
I'm happy that at last the scandinavian Monarchies give big balls where all the Royals wear their tiaras and jewels and not like in the other monarchies black tie.

I did not say they cannot wear them and that they had to keep them in a vault. I just said, they look odd and, in my opinion, kind of ridiculous. It is a good idea though.

Back
Top Bottom