"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought the scenes with Margaret and Peter Townsend were quite poignant.

And Debicki seems to tower over everyone. Yes, Diana was tall, but that tall?

I agree that the Fayed episode was rather boring.

Part of "William and the Telly"... or maybe that's just "William Telly". It's funny even while some of Morgan's metaphor remains eye-rollingly obvious.

And Dominic Wests lovely son. Creating quite the acting dynasty. Five kids. Oldest daughter acts and Senan is number 3 and he is acting too.

And Dominic Wests lovely son. Creating quite the acting dynasty. Five kids. Oldest daughter acts and Senan is number 3 and he is acting too.

You can tell he's Dominic's kid. They have the same eyes.

You can tell he's Dominic's kid. They have the same eyes.

Ironically the younger William was also the spit of his younger soon. Yeah he is quite dark in real life and very much looks like his Dad. As do the two older daughters. The acting one is her 20s and was in Creation when she was a kid.

Would Boris Yeltsin truly have uttered those insulting comments about the Queen?
There were interpreters present; surely someone would have informed her what was said, later if not right then?

Last edited:
From Hugo Vickers, he claims that Prince Philip wanted to consult lawyers on suing the Crown series for implying that he was the reason for Princess Cecilie’s death.

I do appreciate that they made it clear that an isolated Diana was a target for someone like Mohamed Al-Fayad who had an agenda of his own that wasn’t admirable.
Al-Fayed wasn’t even his real name. It was just Fayed. He did it to give off an aristocratic pretense just like how some people have the particle ‘di’ or ‘de’ in their last names but aren’t actual nobles. He wasn’t called the phony Pharaoh for nothing. Plus having the name ‘Al’ in a persons last name isn’t an indicator of nobility or that the person is of high status.

Good for Philip. It made me mad. I really thought it was a bridge, or a plane crash too far for the sake of a storyline. Not even a storyline, just an excuse to vilify Andrea of Greece some more as well, and give Mountbatten a very simplistic analogy. It was cheap — and hurtful.

That being said, this is much more fun, and they talk about the robbery.

I've finished season 5 and I agree with other posters, it was actually pleasant to watch. Nothing outrageous or scandalous about it in my view, rather tame. Not sure where all the outcry beforehand came from.
The episodes got better and more interesting towards the end and I found most actors really excellent. There is still something about QEII that I found irritating, but the rest ... Dominic West really grew on me, I thought he was fabulous as Charles with all his mannerisms. Same goes for Camilla, Philip, Diana ... good choices.
I will certainly finish up with Season 6.

I wondered why they cast him; he doesn't resemble the teenage William at all.

Yes, and as the teenage William resembled Charles not at all, there really wasn't a point. However, just like Dominic showed he didn't need to resemble Charles to act the role well, Senan also did a pretty good job, imo.

Yes, and as the teenage William resembled Charles not at all, there really wasn't a point. However, just like Dominic showed he didn't need to resemble Charles to act the role well, Senan also did a pretty good job, imo.

I thought he was rather expressionless. Mostly he just managed to look upset.

My husband and I finished up season 5 last night. We both ultimately found it very boring! No idea where all the controversy stirred up by the media beforehand came from.

My husband and I finished up season 5 last night. We both ultimately found it very boring! No idea where all the controversy stirred up by the media beforehand came from.

That is because you have enough sense to realise it is fiction for the most part.

Sadly there are millions who see this as an accurate portrayal and thus factual. As a result anything slightly incorrect will be impossible to correct for those who are learning their history from this series (and yes there are millions who now learn their history from TV and movies).

When I was at school he was so drunk he couldn't get off a plane to meet the welcome party. Christ those were the days of leadership issues.

Yes -- I read a political memoir a few years ago, either by George Stephanopoulos or Norman Podhoretz's son John who worked for George H. W. Bush. I forget which book had it. I lost the books in Hurricane Sandy.

The presidential aides were all concerned about Yeltsin's reported inebriation in advance of an important handshake-for-the-press meeting. It was in Vancouver or some boat city, where the presidential party was on a boat going to see Yeltsin among others. They got there, Boris was three sheets, but it went smoothly.

And the winner is…

I’ve just happily binged on Season Five, and I’d like to offer nominees for worst wig worn by a leading actor:

Prince Andrew

Princess Anne

PM John Major

I rather enjoyed the Mou Mou episode- a bit of wit and glamour to savor. I wonder if HM really declined to sit with the owner of Harrods at a horse show?

I watched Season 5 over the Christmas Holidays and found it to be the weakest season so far and very in cohesive.

The episode devoted to Mohamed al-Faye should have been scrapped and was by far my least favourite.
The Wales divorce episode was messy with the over and back about other couples divorcing.
The Romanov episode was quite brutal and I loved Lesley Manville as a waspish Princess Margaret.

I wonder why Diana's mother or sisters were not cast and especially with the Divorce of the Wales .

I watched Season 5 over the Christmas Holidays and found it to be the weakest season so far and very in cohesive.

The episode devoted to Mohamed al-Faye should have been scrapped and was by far my least favourite.
The Wales divorce episode was messy with the over and back about other couples divorcing.
The Romanov episode was quite brutal and I loved Lesley Manville as a waspish Princess Margaret.

I wonder why Diana's mother or sisters were not cast and especially with the Divorce of the Wales .

Season 5 is definitely the weakest season, in large part due to the miscasting of Imelda Staunton as QEII. JMHO

I think the script was quite weak and the season in general was in cohesive.
I didn't mind Imelda as the queen but would have preferred Olivia Coleman!

I do not like the new Queen. She comes off as trying to hard rather than being natural.

I had my doubts about Colman as The Queen, but was won over very quickly. Tobias Menzies as Philip took a bit longer, but having got most of the way through Season 4 I will miss them when the cast change.

Looking at pictures of her as the Queen, I am still seeing Dolores Umbridge. Both Claire and Olivia in character really looked to me as though they were the Queen.

I heard complaints about Series 4 but until The Hereditary Principle, I didn’t think that they had gone too far. I shall expect things to continue to decline in that case.

Very surprised that neither of Princess Anne’s pregnancies featured, especially when they must have been a factor in the increasing pressure on Charles to marry. Or her wedding, when she was obliged to have a big wedding as the first child of QEII to marry, despite her dropping from 2nd to 4th in the succession by then.

Surely they will have to cast Diana’s family for Series 6.

They have already shown Lady Fermoy, Sarah, and Earl Spencer and featured Robert Fellowes more than you'd expect. Her father was dead by this point and Frances wasn't a big part of her life. I'm not sure how much more people are expecting.

Back
Top Bottom