"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Crown | Season 5 Official Trailer

So we've gone from "The Times They Are A-Changin" to "How Soon Is Now" to "Bittersweet Symphony".

Well, it was a huge hit for The Verve during that time, so it works. Also the lyrics are fitting in some respects.

"'Cause it's a bittersweet symphony, this life..."

Even the title speaks to something that's great, but that is also not-so-great, even harmful, at the same time. Excellent choice, IMO.

Well no doubt netflix will get its viewers.

Of course no Netflix executive or anyone else involved with this new series will get their lives trashed on tv so what should they care.

I don't know who's worse with their cant & greed, British tabloids or US tv.

Last edited:
Another trailer was released ahead of the Season 5 release.

Interesting piece on"The Crown" in the Guardian - it also appears to have some further insight into what happens in certain episodes. Given that the Guardian is really rather anti-monarchy it is a very interesting take IMO

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...is-the-new-king-going-to-bring-down-the-crown

A few details about future episodes

It will be fascinating to see if the king’s camp reacts to the seventh episode of season five – which dramatises Bashir’s duping of the princess – and the eighth, which features re-enacted extracts from Panorama, rendering the no-replay deal almost pointless. Buckingham Palace might leave any reaction over that to the BBC, though: any direct royal challenge to Netflix would prove complicated...

In this run, the doubling down occurs most egregiously in the seventh episode, No Woman’s Land, which intercuts Bashir’s chasing of Diana with her pursuit of Khan. Morgan gives the BBC reporter a speech about the heritage he shares with the surgeon. The script flirts with suggestions that the princess had a “type” – or that Bashir tactically made himself as much like Diana’s paramour as possible – but it’s probably just Morgan doing his thing: making neat patterns on the spattered canvas of history.

In another questionable decision, the 1991 death from cancer of five-year-old Leonora Knatchbull is employed as a plot device to show her mother, Lady Romsey, becoming “close” to the Duke of Edinburgh when he comforts her. As the marriage of Charles and Diana unravelled in 1992, establishment grandee Lord McGregor of Durris complained of “journalists dabbling their fingers in the stuff of other people’s souls.” The Leonora Knatchbull sequence is one of several where Morgan might have better kept his hands off.

Between a few verbatim quotes – including, humiliatingly for Charles and Camilla, their notorious overheard phone call “Tampongate” – Morgan’s invented dialogue often consists of characters launching loaded metaphors at each other. When Philip suggests that the yacht Britannia may be “obsolete … past her best,” it echoes what Charles, colluding with Major, has been suggesting about his mother. But, lest we don’t get it, the Queen is given a line about the boat being “a sea-going expression of me”. In later episodes, as the BBC and the palace are at odds, John Birt jumps in to gloss: “The two institutions – Crown and BBC – are inextricably linked.” Lesley Manville’s Princess Margaret laments her own parallel with Diana: the spirited, sexy one that the dull Windsors can’t handle. As the Panorama interview approaches, Prince William’s history teacher’s explanation of the gunpowder plot of 1605 cuts to a shot of Bashir, identifying the BBC reporter as Guy Fawkes, although his pension from the corporation will have collected him more than a few pennies.

The parts involving Leonora Knatchbull seem wholly inappropriate to me.

It will be interesting to see how this season is received, if it generates glowing reviews, or if it ends up stepping over a line that turns a lot of people off. Most viewers will tolerate a certain amount of creative license, but the plotline with Leonora Knatchbull, Lady Romsey and the D of E just sounds completely tawdry. If I was her, I would have a lawyer ready.

I gave up on the show at the episode where Mountbatten was more or less asked to lead a coup, and I haven't gone back. I don't think I'm missing anything.

She does do a rather startling likeness.

And Debicki on 20 of Diana's looks, some of which will be in Season 5.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/20330700/tony-blair-the-crown-rubbish/

FORMER prime ministers Tony Blair and John Major have blasted The Crown over “utterly untrue” and “profoundly hurtful” storylines in the Netflix show.

Tony Blair hit out at scenes depicting him and the then Prince Charles plotting against the late Queen Elizabeth II - branding the storyline “complete and utter rubbish”.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/fabulous/20330700/tony-blair-the-crown-rubbish/

FORMER prime ministers Tony Blair and John Major have blasted The Crown over “utterly untrue” and “profoundly hurtful” storylines in the Netflix show.

Tony Blair hit out at scenes depicting him and the then Prince Charles plotting against the late Queen Elizabeth II - branding the storyline “complete and utter rubbish”.

This is not a glowing review either

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ng-show-to-end-forever?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

None of the British newspapers have given it positive reviews - in fact most are pretty horrendous. The only one I can see that is positive is the Times but they are simply carrying a piece by Robert Lacy who works on the show rather than a review by a TV critic. It definitely seems to have had its day.

So far, I've watched all 4 series some time after publication, but this time I want to watch straight away. Does somebody know if all episodes will be available at once or if Netflix will only publish 1 episode per week?

So far, I've watched all 4 series some time after publication, but this time I want to watch straight away. Does somebody know if all episodes will be available at once or if Netflix will only publish 1 episode per week?

Netflix releases them all at once.

The whole season should be available on November 9th.

I think a lot of what they’ve included is in very poor taste.

West —>> Charles. For someone who looks nothing like him, it's not that bad....somehow. Still looking forward to him and Miller in the same scene.

A friend who received an advanced copy tells me that the new season is laughable to places. She notes that many of the actors are awful and that the man who plays Charles will view this as his worst performance. For people who took the role simply to get awards - this might be a hard blow.
There is a Russian Revolution episode that somehow ties into the 1990's frenzy against the royals. Yep - shake head. I lived through the 1990's in the UK - did I miss our Marxist upraising, drought, food shortage and masses of unemployment not to mention returning soldiers from WW1. I think it is a metaphor pulled too tightly. And I doubt that the labour party ever wanted to through the Windsor into a cellar and shot them - then again ?
But the biggest concern she has and she hates the monarchy, especially Charles is that is it everywhere - and doesn't do anything to structure the narrative. Her first question was - did they change the writer, the director - why is the heart and soul of this piece so different from the rest?

She had hoped that they would hire a trans or black actor to play one of the royals. Netflix has promised to diversify the show. But alas if you were hoping for this casting it is not there. Maybe in the bit parts, who knows. But they missed the opportunity to gender or color switch Anne, Edward or Andrew. Harry or William here.

A friend who received an advanced copy tells me that the new season is laughable to places. She notes that many of the actors are awful and that the man who plays Charles will view this as his worst performance. For people who took the role simply to get awards - this might be a hard blow.
There is a Russian Revolution episode that somehow ties into the 1990's frenzy against the royals. Yep - shake head. I lived through the 1990's in the UK - did I miss our Marxist upraising, drought, food shortage and masses of unemployment not to mention returning soldiers from WW1. I think it is a metaphor pulled too tightly. And I doubt that the labour party ever wanted to through the Windsor into a cellar and shot them - then again ?
But the biggest concern she has and she hates the monarchy, especially Charles is that is it everywhere - and doesn't do anything to structure the narrative. Her first question was - did they change the writer, the director - why is the heart and soul of this piece so different from the rest?

She had hoped that they would hire a trans or black actor to play one of the royals. Netflix has promised to diversify the show. But alas if you were hoping for this casting it is not there. Maybe in the bit parts, who knows. But they missed the opportunity to gender or color switch Anne, Edward or Andrew. Harry or William here.
I don’t understand any of that. What would diversifying the show do?

I've started watching it. I will watch it as an entertainment/drama series and not constantly think about the accuracy of the content.
First impression is that Debicki is excellent as Diana. I still have to get used to QEII and Philip. While there are some gestures etc spot on for Charles, not sure about Dominic West. He seems to good looking/at ease with himself.
I found episode one was a good start. I particulary enjoyed Jonny Lee Miller as John Major.

When you tell a joke, it's supposed to be funny. I can't tell if this is serious or if you're intentionally taking the p*ss.

But none of them is actually of colour, so why force it just to force diversity?

First impressions are that Debicki is eerie as the late Diana. West is very good as Prince Charles but there is something a little too Hollywood about him. Staunton surprised me by how quickly I bought into her version of QEII. Miller as the Prime Minister is very good. Princess Anne, and the new actress, is a scene stealer once again. I'll watch the whole series of course and hopefully enjoy it for what it is.

"The Crown" (2016-Present) - Netflix Drama Series on Queen Elizabeth II

My first impression in episode one is just that it was so tacky and cruel to include an actress playing little Leonora Knatchbull and her battle with cancer. The Knatchbulls are not public enough to justify such an intrusion and it was in poor taste.

Edited to add: I’m on to episode 2, and they have leaned fully into conspiracy theory, implying Morton was threatened and harassed and they tried to stop the book and that it was Philip doing the intimidation. It’s bad enough that I’m considering if it should even be finished.

Last edited:
I thought the first 2 episodes were really good and entertaining. I am warming up to the new QEII and Philip.
Now at episode 3 and almost falling asleep as it is all about the Fayeds ?

Back
Top Bottom