Queen Mary of Denmark Jewels 1: 14 Jan 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand Queen Mary is wearing the Danish rubies tonight.
The rubies came from Sweden, I think there's a good reason to pay a tribute to Queen Ingrid!

I love the Rubies - they work with Mary's hair colour.

It felt appropriate that she wore them in Sweden

I'm sure when Christian's wife eventually inherits the parure, she'll make changes to it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary's choice of tiara made perfect sense. The Ruby Parure came into the DRF through Lovisa of Sweden and on top of that, the set was Ingrid of Sweden's signature piece. Likewise, it was no coincidence that Victoria wore the Connaught Tiara – commissioned for her and Frederik's shared great-grandmother.

It's symbolism. Mary will wear the Poire soon enough – likely as soon as next week.

Mary's choice of tiara made perfect sense. The Ruby Parure came into the DRF through Lovisa of Sweden and on top of that, the set was Ingrid of Sweden's signature piece. Likewise, it was no coincidence that Victoria wore the Connaught Tiara – commissioned for her and Frederik's shared great-grandmother.

It's symbolism. Mary will wear the Poire soon enough – likely as soon as next week.
Agreed. I would have been disappointed had she not worn the ruby parure. Just as she wore it to CP Victoria's wedding as a nod to the linkage there, it is only fitting that Frederik's grandmother, who was a Swedish Princess by birth would be signified and acknowledged for this very historic and special occasion.

I agree. It was a no brainer that she would wear the ruby set in Sweden. It is too tied to Sweden via its history. She also wore the Sapphire brooch for the arrival and day events. It was the perfect choice. And she looked beautiful.

I'm sure when Christian's wife eventually inherits the parure, she'll make changes to it as well.
I actually don't see the ruby ever being used by a future wife of Christian - I think Mary will use this tiara for her lifetime and the next owner will be future grandchild/wife of that grandchild. Similar to how Frederick received the tiara

I had forgotten that and it was very symbolic and wonderful to see such thought put into the choice of jewels!

I actually don't see the ruby ever being used by a future wife of Christian - I think Mary will use this tiara for her lifetime and the next owner will be future grandchild/wife of that grandchild. Similar to how Frederick received the tiara
I have no basis to go as far as that, but I can see Mary use the parure for the rest of her time as Queen. She may acquire more jewellery that may get used by her children and their spouses.

I read that Queen Alexandrine's sapphire tiara is in a museum in Copenhagen. Would Queen Mary be able to use it if she wanted to? It seems pointless to have it just sitting in a case when she could team it with the sapphire demi-parure. That is one set I would love to see being worn together.

I read that Queen Alexandrine's sapphire tiara is in a museum in Copenhagen. Would Queen Mary be able to use it if she wanted to? It seems pointless to have it just sitting in a case when she could team it with the sapphire demi-parure. That is one set I would love to see being worn together.

I believe the sapphires are Margrethe's property, and thus Mary can't wear them.

That tiara was if i recall correctly aquired by the Amalienborg Museum so i’m not sure it would be available for Queen Mary or anyone in the royal family to wear…

The matching Sapphire Demi Parure is still Queen Margrethe’s property.

I believe the sapphires are Margrethe's property, and thus Mary can't wear them.
I mean when the day comes when Mary CAN wear them. I so wish the DRF had purchased that tiara when it came up at auction, I saw what it sold for and I would imagine they could have afforded it.

Queen Mary has started exploring the Danish vault, it seems! For the welcoming ceremony in Oslo, she debuted a ruby and diamond floral brooch (Link), which was previously worn by Queen Margrethe, for example during her Ruby Jubilee celebrations in 2012 (Link).

Her pearl pendant earrings (one with a ring of sapphires, the other with rubies) formerly belonged to Margrethe II and were presented to Mary at some point. They were featured in the exhibition En Dronnings Smykkeskrin in 2022.

Queen Mary has started exploring the Danish vault, it seems! For the welcoming ceremony in Oslo, she debuted a ruby and diamond floral brooch (Link), which was previously worn by Queen Margrethe, for example during her Ruby Jubilee celebrations in 2012 (Link).

Her pearl pendant earrings (one with a ring of sapphires, the other with rubies) formerly belonged to Margrethe II and were presented to Mary at some point. They were featured in the exhibition En Dronnings Smykkeskrin in 2022.
Wonderful to see its debut on Queen Mary and it goes perfectly with the outfit.
A few other consorts could learn from Mary on how to use the family jewels as accessories.

The silver brooch set with diamonds and spinels has belonged to Queen Lovisa,

Lovely brooch - a great touch to wear it on this visit and it works perfectly with the jacket to show it off

Great to see it on her. And it seems we will have to wait for the necklace a bit more so we will have a surprise later on as well.

The tiara looks great against her brunette hair. I would love to see her wear her wedding earring with this tiara

Back
Top Bottom