Queen Margrethe's 80th Birthday Celebrations: April 2020 {Cancelled}

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Which New Years Court did she atted in 1956? The Evening Court on 01. January or one of the others at Christiansborg. And from which age did Frederik start to attend them?

Which New Years Court did she atted in 1956? The Evening Court on 01. January or one of the others at Christiansborg. And from which age did Frederik start to attend them?

It's plural. So all of them I assume.

I don't believe Frederik attended before he was eighteen. He sure didn't volunteer! That's safe to say. ?

When Her Majesty the Queen celebrated her 80th birthday yesterday, it was not possible for people to attend the Yellow Palace and write congratulations to the Majesty, which is otherwise traditionally celebrated on the Queen's birthday. ⁣

Instead, over the past few days, the Queen has received over 13,000 digital congratulations via the Royal House website. A large number of Danes have sent the world's creative congratulations to the Majesty, and here is a small selection of the many fine greetings: ⁣

Danskerne lykønsker H.M. Dronningen | Kongehuset

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_FpKzig47T/

Probably because this is not something that Queen Elizabeth is comfortable doing? Although she could have done something similar to Philippe and Mathilde who also didn't fully participate but were still included.
Perhaps Charles and Camilla, simply just for reasons of politeness..?!

I wouldn't be the least surprised to learn that Queen Elizabeth called Queen Margrethe privately to wish her a happy birthday and have a bit of "girl talk". These are two queens that seem to share a pretty good relationship with each other and from what I know, Margrethe will stop in for tea if/when she's in London shopping. ?

When Her Majesty the Queen celebrated her 80th birthday yesterday, it was not possible for people to attend the Yellow Palace and write congratulations to the Majesty, which is otherwise traditionally celebrated on the Queen's birthday. ⁣

Instead, over the past few days, the Queen has received over 13,000 digital congratulations via the Royal House website. A large number of Danes have sent the world's creative congratulations to the Majesty, and here is a small selection of the many fine greetings: ⁣

Danskerne lykønsker H.M. Dronningen | Kongehuset

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_FpKzig47T/

That's a serious paper-clipping someone made!

:previous: I know Denmark slightly lifted their measures a few days ago; but wouldn't this break social distancing rules?

:previous: I know Denmark slightly lifted their measures a few days ago; but wouldn't this break social distancing rules?

Not when it's in a private home. But you are strongly advised to maintain a distance anyway. Also at the table, one empty chair between each guests.
Having said that, it is advised not to gather privately either.

Not when it's in a private home. But you are strongly advised to maintain a distance anyway. Also at the table, one empty chair between each guests.

Having said that, it is advised not to gather privately either.

So I would have thought. Here we are under instructions not to visit other homes - especially to visit the elderly. Is this not the case in denmark?

So I would have thought. Here we are under instructions not to visit other homes - especially to visit the elderly. Is this not the case in denmark?

The Northern European countries more do an appeal on their citizens to use their common sense rather than impose a lock down. When neither the Queen nor her four children (in-law) have symptoms and keep distance, there is no problem. After all also shops are open, factories and offices are running as long distance is respected

The crux is to maintain distance. Not to isolate.

Last edited:
I was shocked to see the dinner. I thought the videos including from her grandkids and even the social distance serenade were perfect. Showing even the queen had to honour distancing and found a way to celebrate. And now this.

I get businesses are open and that’s good for the economy. But people are supposed to stay home when not needed to be out. Families even in northern countries were told to find a different way to celebrate Easter this year as the virus was more important. People all over Europe have made sacrifices right now. Sorry but I find it on extremely poor taste not only to ignore that but to be having a formal dinner even if just your kids.

If this had been a leader like a president it would have caused a huge stir. Christ our prime minister there is calls to lynch as he left Ottawa to visit his wife and kids who were at the country residence.

While an 80th birthday is momentous there are many others who are not celebrating even bigger occasions. If she insisted on dinner it could have been done on down low and not public knowledge.

I was shocked to see the dinner. I thought the videos including from her grandkids and even the social distance serenade were perfect. Showing even the queen had to honour distancing and found a way to celebrate. And now this.

I get businesses are open and that’s good for the economy. But people are supposed to stay home when not needed to be out. Families even in northern countries were told to find a different way to celebrate Easter this year as the virus was more important. People all over Europe have made sacrifices right now. Sorry but I find it on extremely poor taste not only to ignore that but to be having a formal dinner even if just your kids.

If this had been a leader like a president it would have caused a huge stir. Christ our prime minister there is calls to lynch as he left Ottawa to visit his wife and kids who were at the country residence.

While an 80th birthday is momentous there are many others who are not celebrating even bigger occasions. If she insisted on dinner it could have been done on down low and not public knowledge.

This afternoon I will have coffee and cake with my parents. But we will not kiss and hug and we will sit in the garden, in the open air, with some distance. No any problem. There is no requirement to isolate. There is an appeal to keep distance, to desinfect, to stay home when there is a cold, a flu, hay fever, asthma, etc.

The Northern-European statistics are nowhere near Italy and Spain, with exception of Belgium and Great-Britain. This proves that common sense and responsibility works, except in the named two countries where still surreal situations are (an overcrowded bridge in London clapping for the NHS....). It is more remarkable to see Ireland barely affected and Great-Britain so hit with the virus, while Ireland has imposed the same North-European model.

There is no lock down in Denmark. There is no police on the street to halt every Dane and ask for a license. It comes to common sense and the own individual responsibility of citizens. Why can the Queen being woken up by well-wishers, receiving congratulations from courtiers, make a TV adress with a crew at Fredensborg but not see her two boys?

Last edited:

People are urged not to visit elderly and vulnerable in particular.
And people are strongly advised not to visit each other, and if doing so, still maintain a level of social distance. - I.e. not sitting right next to each other, no hugging, no kissing, no handshake and so on.
Retirement homes are out of bounds. (They are not considered private homes as such. Also the staff needs to be protected.)

The Northern European countries more do an appeal on their citizens to use their common sense rather than impose a lock down. When neither the Queen nor her four children (in-law) have symptoms and keep distance, there is no problem. After all also shops are open, factories and offices are running as long distance is respected

That's correct. DK was/is only in semi-lockdown. Quite a lot of people went to work as normal, many to workplaces with a reduced staff though. (That's the case with my workplace. Hence why I have so much time to post.)

That is indeed the keyword; DK is opening up, with precautions.
As it is right now, QMII can get away with cutting off the ears of baby-rabbits on live TV.
She is famous for going in front and cancelling all her birthday celebrations and in her Corona speech chastising those who did or intended to go on with celebrating anniversaries with parties, basically saying: If I can cancel my party, you can too.
And after all it was only the absolute nearest adults who dropped by. Not even her sister, Benedikte. (Don't know if she is even in DK right now.) No grandchildren.
Having said all that QMII IMO did take a small risk. Because Josephine and Vincent did after all start in school Wednesday - and there is as such a small chance of them being infected and coming home to infect their parents.

And cynically speaking: Should QMII actually have been infected it will serve as a very real warning to all to still take this seriously.

In Finland it is much more than an appeal to older citizens to use common sense.

Our prime minister urged already on 19th March that people over 70 and in risk groups should stay home and not meet other people.

Advice for people over 70 years of age
The Government has therefore issued guidance on coronavirus protection for the over-70s. This states that people over 70 are required to refrain from contact with others wherever possible, which means quarantine-like conditions. The following detailed advice applies.
• do not meet other people in person (face to face), and avoid going outdoors
• ask family, friends or neighbours to help with shopping and other tasks outside the home
• if necessary, ask your municipality for help with e.g. grocery shopping and pharmacy visits – if you have to go grocery shopping or visit a pharmacy or health centre, do so when there are fewer people around
If you are a family member or friend of someone over 70
• avoid unnecessary visits to anyone over 70 years of age or in another risk group
• keep in touch e.g. by phone or online
• if a visit is essential, remember not to shake hands or hug, and not to have close contact, and also use a face mask or similar disposable protection to cover your mouth and nose
https://aineistopankki.thl.fi/l/XxPFV9bNbpCw

So in Finland it would have been impossible to organize such a dinner. The family, friends and neighbours go shopping for the people over 70 and in risk groups and leave the shopping bags outside the door. They don't go to the homes of the older people or people in risk groups. When I go to shop for food once a week at eight o'clock in the morning, I don't see older people there, and very few other people too.

:previous:

It seems Finland is stricter than Danmark, which is stricter than Sweden, etc.
King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia keep themselves locked down while Sweden has less strict restrictions than Danmark. For a major part it seems to come to personal assessment and the own responsibility indeed. For an an example we see Princess Sofia of Sweden in nursing duties, THE spot to catch the virus, but she choses to do so and to volunteer, again a personal assessment.

Last edited:
In Finland it is much more than an appeal to older citizens to use common sense.

So in Finland it would have been impossible to organize such a dinner. The family, friends and neighbours go shopping for the people over 70 and in risk groups and leave the shopping bags outside the door. They don't go to the homes of the older people or people in risk groups. When I go to shop for food once a week at eight o'clock in the morning, I don't see older people there, and very few other people too.

This is OT, sorry.

In Finland, it's "strongly adviced".... There are lots of 70+ people the government just can't keep inside.

My mother is 70+. She goes grocery shopping max twice a week in the early morning when the shops are open for the 70+ and people in risk groups. She goes out walking and to the farmacy and I am pretty sure she does have a coup of coffee with a neighbour or two once or twice a week.

The 70+ are allowed to go out for a walk, just keep distance, they are allowed to go grocery shopping if needed or to the pharmacy if they are well and have no symptoms.

I have asthma. I stay home most of the time or go out with the dog. I go grocery shopping or something else during normal hours maybe once a week wearing latex gloves, keeping distance etc

Back to this topic
: I think it would have been better not to have this particular dinner. Optics and all that. I am guessing this was an offer (dinner) that her sons and their wives really couldn't refurse.

Last edited:
So her bubble got a little larger. Had it been next week the children would have well and truly mixed st school and shared with their family.

As I understand it, no laws were broken and we don't know the dinner table settings. They could have shared an intimate dinner around a very large table.

I think no-one could bear her being totally alone on her birthday regardless of which birthday it is.

With a view to the Queen's well known attachment to cigarettes, it would seem that health restrictions are not something she takes terribly seriously anyway.

If the birthday had been at the beginning at the crisis it would indeed be rightfully criticized. Luckily for Denmark it looks like is towards the end of the crisis.
I think they still took precautions in that it was just 5 adults in a big room.
Overall a nice way to top off this unique and special day.

Last edited:
:previous:

It seems Finland is stricter than Danmark, which is stricter than Sweden, etc.
King Carl Gustaf and Queen Silvia keep themselves locked down while Sweden has less strict restrictions than Danmark. For a major part it seems to come to personal assessment and the own responsibility indeed. For an an example we see Princess Sofia of Sweden in nursing duties, THE spot to catch the virus, but she choses to do so and to volunteer, again a personal assessment.

Princess Sofia is not doing nursing duties. She took a three day course to help out in hospitals with administrative duties, which helps free up those with actual training to deal with patients. It was emphasized that those who did the program, would not actually be caring for patients.

Even if she was working as a nurse how does this compare???

I am sorry but nurses are out there, and other medical staff, putting our lives in danger every day so we can ensure others live. This is our Job but for many of us its more then simply work. Its sickening you would even compare people going to work at the hospital, to a woman having a birthday party in the middle of a pandemic.

There are things people Need to do, and in doing so they take necessary risks:
-working: especially those in essential roles like medical, police, firefighters, grocery store employees and so on
-grocery shopping and pharmacy runs
-getting exercise in the fresh air so not to go crazy indoors

Anything beyond those are not necessity, they are a luxury. And there is a risk to any. Vincent and Josephine are not the only potential germs that may have come in with them. Every single person that the queen's children have come in contact with from employees, drivers, their kids and so on, could possibly have come in contact with germs. At 80 the queen is high risk.

Just because they are 'recomendations' in Denmark doesn't mean they should be ignored. People follow celebrities like they are some kind of experts on things. And royals are celebrities for many. "oh the queen can have a birthday party why cant I'.

I can only imagine the talk if QeII decides to have a big family dinner, even with just the adults, for her coming birthday.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...amilla-sendte-ogsaa-videohilsen-til-margrethe

Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla also send a video greeting to QMII, but that greeting is private.

--------------

And QMII's original illustrations to the Lord of the Rings:
https://bt.bmcdn.dk/media/cache/res.../23398330-dronning-margrethe-som-kunstner.jpg

You can read the captions.

What a nice treat to see the illustrations.
Glad this day was celebrated and went without a hitch. I'm sure the queen enjoyed it tremendously

I can only imagine the talk if QeII decides to have a big family dinner, even with just the adults, for her coming birthday.

I think we are going too off course and cant compare.
Elizabeth with kids and spouses would be 9 people gathering. Margrethe had 5.
The UK is extending their lockdown for more weeks. Denmark at this point is slowly opening up again.
Both countries are just at different points in the crisis and cant be compared.

But back to the thread everything was very sweet to follow. The video messages from the other royal houses and from the grandkids was fantastic. I wonder who's idea was for the CP kids to have the letters switched up. Looked like fun
:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Sofia is not doing nursing duties. She took a three day course to help out in hospitals with administrative duties, which helps free up those with actual training to deal with patients. It was emphasized that those who did the program, would not actually be caring for patients.

Even if she was working as a nurse how does this compare???

I am sorry but nurses are out there, and other medical staff, putting our lives in danger every day so we can ensure others live. This is our Job but for many of us its more then simply work. Its sickening you would even compare people going to work at the hospital, to a woman having a birthday party in the middle of a pandemic.

Sidenote, but:
Sofia has taken the same training program that furloughed SAS-crews (among others) have gone through. The hospital volounteers were never meant to work directly with covid patients, but they are doing a lot of practical (not administrative) things. Their chores includes preparing meals for patients, getting medical supplies or test results from other parts of the hospital, cleaning rooms and preparing them for next patient, disinfect medical equipment, change bedsheets, share some kind words with friends and family of the patients... things like that.

Some might think that it's not that important or glamorous, but these things make it possible for those with medical training to focus more on the patients. And she didn't have to do this - she stepped up anyway. The people who took these courses are working now in hospitals in the Stockholm region, and their services is very sought after.

Monarchs and princes from Sweden, Norway, Spain, Luxembourg, Belgium and the Netherlands congratulate Queen Margrethe II on her 80th birthday.

Video at this link:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/B_CoosLgSex/?igshid=xv0ui94e5p9d

This was such a lovely thing to see! Since she had to cancel the big celebrations, this was a nice way to send their greetings ?

I assume that Carl Philip was included since Margrethe is his godmother?

Last edited by a moderator:
More on QMII.
If it wasn't for a couple of quotes I would have placed this in the fashion thread.

https://www.bt.dk/royale/annette-ha...dder-i-mere-end-30-aar-ingen-andre-ville-sige
Enjoy the photos. They are all creations by Annette Freifeldt.

Annette Freifeldt and her late father Celli Freifeldt have been tailors and dress makers for QMII for 30 years - and also Benedikte.

QMII prefer designs that accentuates her waist.
A must is also that the designs must contain pockets. Not for decoration but to put things.

Both Benedikte and QMII prefer the classic simple look, but there must be a twist somewhere in the design.
QMII is fond of recycling so Freifeldt is also busy remaking her designs from time to time.

What happens is that once or twice a year QMII meets with Freifeldt, either at the store in Copenhagen or at Amalienborg and here Freifeldt presents a number of drafts based on upcoming events. They agree and then there are various fittings.

It was during such a presentation of a design in a very dark blue hue that QMII exclaimed: "Well, this one, why, that's five minutes to black."

It's no secret that QMII is fond of colors and patterns. But it's also a necessity: "Well, it's no use that I blend in with the brick-work."

QMII is from an age where tailormade clothes was the norm. As such she appreciates the work that goes into making the clothes and she is very much involved in the details of the design.

When QMII and her sisters were children they were always dressed in the same colors when out and about, that was something Queen Ingrid had decided.
QMII always wore light blue.
Benedikte light pink.
And Anne-Marie in yellow or green.
- Presumably based on their favorite colors, since we have learned that QMII's favorit colors is blue.

I honestly believe QMII must have been invited by every possible publication here in DK! Perhaps with the exception of My Pony and Hunters Digest.

https://www.udogse.dk/dronning-margrethe/
Summary of yet another interview in Ud & Se (a magazine published for the railroads).
Interviewer: Anne Sofie Kragh.

It's based on a number of photos.

How did it affect the family that QMII's farmor was German, in regards to the Occupation?
Queen Alexandrine actually experienced two world wars while living in DK, but there was never any doubt as to her loyalty. That was 100 % Danish.
She had brothers and other relatives in Germany but has very little to do with them.
Frederik IX as such had several cousins in Germany, whom he knew very well and had a good relationship to from before the war. And who served in the war.
One in particular visited them in Copenhagen a number of times during the Occupation. But he always called first. Sometimes he would say that he was in Copenhagen, but wouldn't come because he was in uniform. On other occasions he came visiting but always in civilian attire.
That awareness for the situation was very much appreciated and as such he was respected by the DRF.
But another cousin showed up in uniform and that was his last visit. He was quietly cut off.

Christian X was, despite his otherwise rough demeanor, kind towards his grandchildren. But back in 1942 (before he ended up in a wheelchair) QMII was very afraid of his long black riding boots, that were about the height of her.

As a child QMII was aware that Count Ingolf would eventually become king and didn't think more about that. It dawned on her that she was likely to be the heir when she was 12-13 years old. It didn't mean much to her at the time. Except that it meant that she would one day lose her father!

In fact one of the things that QMII first thought of when she learned she was to be the heir, was that she would be allowed to keep a commode she had in her room and was very fond of. A commode her mother had given her, saying that it should remain with the family at Amalienborg.
QMII still has that commode in her bedroom.

QMII was 13 when she became the Heir: https://www.udogse.dk/wp-content/uploads/dm4.jpg
She says she was very childish for her age, more childish than most thirteen year olds nowadays.
- How so?
"You can almost tell on this kid here, she sure doesn't look like a thirteen year old girl today, does she?"
- Wasn't that simply how it was back then?
"Yeah, but I was also like that inside. I was not at all conscious about myself as something that was to be a woman one day, and certainly not developed as thirteen year old girls almost always are today. You simply can't imagine how childish most of us was back then. Our clothes were sewn so there was room to expand out and down, but my dresses were only expanded down, there wasn't anything to expand up here. No reason for it at least."

At age 15 she went to boarding school in England. And here she is about to leave, looking delighted.
https://www.udogse.dk/wp-content/uploads/dm5.jpg

They had had an English maid (nanny? Because the word used can also mean someone who looks after the children) who taught the girls English and told about er own time at a boarding school, from which she had fond memories.
QMII settled in so well there, that she plain forgot to write home. She didn't even think about her family back home. So in the end her parents called to learn how she was.

At the school all were called by their real names. QMII was Princess Margrethe and addressed informally. Not that it mattered much because many of her fellow students came from old, esteemed and grand families. Something that didn't dawn on QMII for a long while. It was simply not an issue on the school.
The school had around 90 students and no prefects. From time to time the headmistress would gather the oldest students and discuss if there were any issues or point out if a younger girl had problems.
This was where QMII for the first time experienced a sense of having a wider responsibility. - She was very immature in her own words.

She still maintains contact to some of her classmates. They don't see each other every year, but they write to each other at Christmas.

QMII is a month short of eighteen in this photo: https://www.udogse.dk/wp-content/uploads/dm6.jpg
And still very much a child, as she puts it.
But at turning eighteen she went from Princess Margrethe to The Heir (Tronfølgeren.) And she began to be addressed Your Royal Highness.

QMII going shopping in the streets of Copenhagen in the winter of 1972: https://www.udogse.dk/wp-content/uploads/dm8.jpg
She does actually remember that photo. People didn't look at her, they looked at the photographer.

She doesn't go much shopping in the streets of Copenhagen anymore. But she does in London and sometimes in Aarhus.
And she has heard someone saying in English: "That's our Queen." Otherwise people sometimes say: "Dav, Margrethe = G'day, Margrethe" and that's about it.
- Do they really say that? G'day, Margrethe?
"Yes, you hear that sometimes."
- How do Yo respond? G'day?
"Then I say good day. But it's limited how much people stop, it's more tourists who look a bit when they see who you are. I don't go around that much as I did beforehand, but that's just as much because I'm too lazy."

But how do you raise two boys, one is going to be king?
By making sure they feel they belong, but also making sure they are not raised identically. They are different and should be allowed to be different without being compared, which is why they were places in separate classes at school.
There was never any jealousy between Frederik and Joachim. Nor between QMII and her sisters:
"I was of course big sister and insufferable, because I was four and six years older than the little ones, they were really called that, and that was of course not particularly nice, but that probably didn't differ much from other families."

https://www.udogse.dk/wp-content/uploads/dm15.jpg
From the state visit to Argentina.
- I think you can see a proud mother?
"That's probably true. It is quite often, I have to admit."

- Isn't it odd to think about that You will never see him has king, in the same way Your father never saw You as Queen?
"That's part of it. But then you also know that he never will think: What will she say now? He can settle with thinking: What would she have said?
That's a different matter. You must have the freedom to do it in your own was, I think that's very significant. I had that freedom and he sure shall have it as well."

- Is it lonely to be the Monarch? There are no one to ask for advise?
QMII doesn't feel particularly lonely not with the way people have embraced her and her family.
Queen Ingrid was good at telling her that she was the one to decide and she left the decisions to QMII. And that's how it will be with Frederik. Being a man he had the advantage that he will not be compared directly to his mother:
"He is not to copy me, but that won't be expected either. That can be a huge advantage. I hope he will sense that right away."

Last edited:
Thank you for posting all the birthday news.
It was entertaining to read the fun 80 facts and to see many photos and to read interviews and words by Margrethe.
I loved the photo of her smoking on The River Nile best!!

Queen Margrethe has a special place in many people's hearts - the thoughtful birthday greetings were proof of that.

Margrethe looked fantastic on her 80th birthday. May she keep in good health and great humour.
I particularly admired the remembrance coin featuring the circle of scissors. How apt for a person who loves designing costumes.

This was such a lovely thing to see! Since she had to cancel the big celebrations, this was a nice way to send their greetings ?

I assume that Carl Philip was included since Margrethe is his godmother?

Yes, there were two godsons in the video: King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands and Prince Carl Philip of Sweden. The last one specifically mentioned it: "Deres Majetæt, kære Daisy, kære Gudmor" ("Your Majesty, dear Daisy, dear godmother")

Yes, there were two godsons in the video: King Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands and Prince Carl Philip of Sweden. The last one specifically mentioned it: "Deres Majetæt, kære Daisy, kære Gudmor" ("Your Majesty, dear Daisy, dear godmother")
There are 3 of them: CP Haakon is a godson, too!

Back
Top Bottom