Queen Margrethe: Work as an Artist and Scenographer

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alexandra does have sisters. And parents, so Felix has (had) both mosters and a morfar and mormor, though none of them are Danish.

Out of curiosity, what was the old word for bonusmor? ;)

Correct.

Papmor - cardboard-mother - No idea why.

Stedmor, sometimes. = Step-mother. But really only if the child was adopted or the mother had died.

And Felix is M&F's nevø = nephew. To Frederik he is brorsøn = brother's son. But that word has fallen out of use.
Athena is M&F's niece = niece. To Frederik she would beforehand be brordatter =brother's daughter.
Had Frederik and Joachim had a sister, her children would beforehand be søsterdatter = sister's daughter or søstersøn = sister's son to them.

Felix is QMII's barnebarn = child of child. (Beforehand it was more specific. sønnesøn (son of son) or datterdatter (daughter's daughter.))
Had Queen Ingrid been alive he would have been her oldebarn = great-grandchild.

It's very simply. You really only need to know six words:
mor (mother), far (father), bror (brother), søster (sister), søn (son), datter (daughter.)

So when you need to name a relation to say your mother, you put "mor" + whatever that relation is to you mother. Example: father.
Result: morfar.

Simplified, those persons who cannot be formed by these six word are not (direct) blood-relatives.

Test: so your son's daughter is your?

Correct.

Papmor - cardboard-mother - No idea why.

Stedmor, sometimes. = Step-mother. But really only if the child was adopted or the mother had died.

And Felix is M&F's nevø = nephew. To Frederik he is brorsøn = brother's son. But that word has fallen out of use.
Athena is M&F's niece = niece. To Frederik she would beforehand be brordatter =brother's daughter.
Had Frederik and Joachim had a sister, her children would beforehand be søsterdatter = sister's daughter or søstersøn = sister's son to them.

Felix is QMII's barnebarn = child of child. (Beforehand it was more specific. sønnesøn (son of son) or datterdatter (daughter's daughter.))
Had Queen Ingrid been alive he would have been her oldebarn = great-grandchild.

It's very simply. You really only need to know six words:
mor (mother), far (father), bror (brother), søster (sister), søn (son), datter (daughter.)

So when you need to name a relation to say your mother, you put "mor" + whatever that relation is to you mother. Example: father.
Result: morfar.

Simplified, those persons who cannot be formed by these six word are not (direct) blood-relatives.

Test: so your son's daughter is your?

Answer: søndatter OR barnebarn

Wonderful to see them all this evening with the queen at the Premier of the The Snow Queen!

Okay, but do you call your mom's sister "moster" or "tante"?

Okay, but do you call your mom's sister "moster" or "tante"?

Almost always moster.
(Your father's sister = faster)
Because tante is someone who has married into your family or an aunt in general. So Mary is Felix' tante.

The same thing with uncle.
Onkel = uncle. Uncle in general or someone who has married into your family.
But your mother's brother is your morbror.
And your father's brother is your farbror.

There are two general words for grandparents as well: Bedstemor or bedstefar = grandmother or grandfather.
Today mostly used in general, as the words implies that you were born around 1870... :yoda:

Today grandparents prefer either mormor, morfar, farmor or farfar.

So as has been pointed out, QMII is Felix' farmor.
While Alexandra's mother is Felix' mormor.

ADDED:
It is of course so specific because we are a small country, with a small population, who for centuries didn't move around much. So it was very important to keep track of your family and what relation they were to you, otherwise you'd risk ending up having - interesting - children...
And family relations are an ingrained and important part of what is still basically a tribal or village culture.

Last edited:
So, you say "moster Louise" when you see her?

If you want to call somebody "bestefar" you can go to Norway. They don't mind.

So, you say "moster Louise" when you see her?

If you want to call somebody "bestefar" you can go to Norway. They don't mind.

Yes, that would be normal.

I believe it was more normal to use bedstemor or bedstefar in DK too up until three generations or so ago.

What a Queen! It's moments like these that I truly appreciate her as being my favorite Queen remnant.

I can't believe how Isabella and Felix look like grown adults. My they have grown!

"Over the past 50 years, Her Majesty the Queen has created several church textiles . The creations are now mentioned in the book "The Queen's Church Textiles", which the authors Anne Hedeager Krag and Vibeke Lindhardt earlier today handed over a copy of to Her Majesty in Christian IX's Palace at Amalienborg"

"The book, which will be published by Gyldendal on 24 February 2022, chronologically reviews the church textiles that the Queen has designed and often also embroidered herself. Right from the first embroidered mass shotgun to Fredensborg Castle Church in 1976 to the latest work; a red mass shotgun to the Danish Church in London, Skt. Katharine, from 2020."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CZrqFfNgI59/

I think the English word is a surplice.

I would not be at all surprised if there is a shotgun somewhere that HM has somehow managed to embroider, though.

I think the English word is a surplice.

I would not be at all surprised if there is a shotgun somewhere that HM has somehow managed to embroider, though.

A surplice.
:flowers:

Will suggest that in Google translate.

QMII knows a lot about symbols, so I wouldn't be surprised if she has added something from time to time.

It's actually a chasuble. A surplice is a plain white garment that is worn over a cassock. (I'm a lay minister in the Church of England) xx

The church textiles are very beautiful.
They display vibrant reflection.
How wonderful that Queen Margrethe is creative in her private hours.

Queen Margrethe tonight:

"In the middle of Tivoli is the Pantomime Theater, which since 1874 has entertained the garden's guests with ballet and music, and on Saturday night there was a premiere of the ballet edition of H.C. Andersen's fairy tale "The Pig Boy".

Among the audience were the show's costumes and set designer, Her Majesty the Queen."

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ce9YntCjFJz/?hl=el

Queen Margrethe throughout the year has worked on a number of new embroidery designs for the annual calendar of the association Handiwork Promotion

"In this photo, taken during the Queen's stay at Graasten Castle this summer, Her Majesty sits with her new designs, which make up the Cross Stitch of the Year 2023.

The Queen's favorite embroidery technique is petit point, which is equivalent to half cross stitches sewn diagonally across a thread cross from the top right corner to the bottom left corner. About the Cross Stitch of the Year, the Majesty states: "I have let the individual letters of each month wind between each other within a circle to form a combined ornament which can 'tell' something about each month. Then the flowers can start springing out in APRIL and MAY, the students spring out in JUNE, and we all jump into the water in JULY! On a quiet AUGUST evening the moon can be reflected in the clear water, and by SEPTEMBER the apples will ripen; then the leaves fall in OCTOBER, and it rains in torrents in NOVEMBER, before the stars twinkle at Christmas time in the DECEMBER night.”"

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjTM54Bjy96/?hl=el

Queen Margrethe has given an interview re-staging of The Nutcracker at the Tivoli (from November 26 on).

She talked about her favourite Christmas traditions: "Going to church on Christmas Eve, having a Christmas tree and eating a lovely Christmas dinner with rice porridge and goose" and about the Notcracker: "I have been looking forward to it like this. It will be great to see The Nutcracker again and to help bring it to life once more. There are always small adjustments; other dancers or you might come up with a good idea that you haven't had before. So there will probably be various small things that have changed from time to time, but in the big picture it is of course the same show":

** kongehuset instagram video **

** BB article with video: Første arbejdsdag i Tivoli: Dronningen fortæller om sine juletraditioner **

Last edited:
Queen Margrethe and Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Frederik, Crown Princess Mary, Prince Vincent and Princess Josephine attended the premiere of The Nutcracker at the Tivoli this evening, November 26:

** tt.se gallery **

** BB article: Flot aften i vente: Dronning Margrethe er ankommet i al hemmelighed **

** BB article: Se billederne: De kongelige gæster ankommer til premiere på Nøddeknækkeren i Tivoli **

** BB video: Sikken herlig overraskelse: Kronprinsesse Mary og kronprins Frederik stråler i Tivoli **

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, how wonderful to see Queen Sonja support QMII at her premiere. The friendship that those two share is so special and I'm very happy for them both that, after what seems like an eternity with COVID-19 barring them from doing so, they're able to share moments like these again.

Second, Josephine is such a little lady already! It's hard to believe that she only turns 12 in January. Bella seemed much younger at 11 going on 12 but that probably isn't a surprise as little sisters to older sisters often tend to grow up faster.

And Vincent looks exactly his age which is just the loveliest thing, and I even think he's dwarfed a little by Josephine? :D I find this is such a sweet age with boy/girl twins where they don't really look like twins at all but worry not Vincent, before you know it, you'll catch up with Josephine :lol:

It'll be fun to see if all 4 of M&F's kids end up being taller than their parents – they all seem to be aiming for that ;)

At the present time Prince Vincent may be shorter than Princess Josephine. However, in the future, he may be as tall as his brother Prince Christian.

I just watched Ehrengard on Netflix. It is charming and funny. Afterwards there is an hour long behind the scenes film which has many interviews with Queen Margarethe. Shows her working on and explaining how she creates her decoupages.

Back
Top Bottom