Prince Rainier & Grace Kelly: 19 April 1956

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous: Agreed. I know that the dress was couture and beautifully made with the best of materials and craftsmanship. However, I find that the stiffness of the skirt reminds me of one of those toilet-paper dolls.

Most wedding gowns in the 1950's were very still. I married in 1959 and wore a hoop skirt, plus a ruffled petticoat on top of that under my dress. Grace's dress was of the time period.

As many knock-offs and inspired-by gowns that there are, nothing will compare to the majesty of her wedding dress. That said, I don't think anybody but Grace Kelly could have worn that wedding gown. (Audrey Hepburn could have, but Hepburn hated fussy clothes. Both her gowns were minimalistic and even avant-garde in their simplicity.)

I think Grace Kelly approached her wedding like the biggest role in her career ... she knew the media interest was unavoidable, and she has mastered the way to properly position herself. I honestly think that's why she had a rather stoic look in most of the photographs, as this will register more hauntingly than a smiley bride. True enough, look at those pictures now, and she is definitely mythical.

Also, the gown was designed by Helen Rose, a Hollywood costume designer, so the romance of movies influenced it. Helen knew what would look good in film and pictures because of her job, and succeeded in creating an iconic gown.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 10 Wedding Gowns: #2. Princess Grace of Monaco

Grace's dress was simply amazing! The details of the dress are absolutely exquisite. Love the bell shaped skirt with the beautiful lace. The veil is also stunning and the back of the dress is wonderful. Love the skirt pleats on the train. It makes the dress even more unique. What I love about this gown, and her whole bridal look, is it's classic regal presence. This dress, is elegant, unique, regal, romantic, and timeless. Without a doubt, one of the most beautiful, and my favorite, royal wedding dresses of all time.

:previous: Ditto to everything you said. And, I am not surprised to see that this dress came in at number two.

I can't believe it's 57 years since this wedding. What's even more astounding is that this is the dress that all other royal wedding dresses are measured by. There's an interesting discussion here about Grace's headpiece and if a tiara might have been nicer with her dress.

Hat From the Past | Royal Hats

I can't believe it's 57 years since this wedding. What's even more astounding is that this is the dress that all other royal wedding dresses are measured by. There's an interesting discussion here about Grace's headpiece and if a tiara might have been nicer with her dress.

Hat From the Past | Royal Hats

Thanks for posting,Grace Kelly was indeed iconic as was her wedding to Prince Rainier.

Hello Magazine has run a feature on the wedding with some interesting photos

Hello

The Cathedral of St. Nicholas was heavily scented from the thousands of bunches of white lilacs that hung in golden baskets from the chandeliers.
White lilac was Grace's favorite flower. :rose2:

Grace and her father John reached the altar to the sounds of Purcell's "Alleluia".

I think Grace Kelly approached her wedding like the biggest role in her career ... she knew the media interest was unavoidable, and she has mastered the way to properly position herself. I honestly think that's why she had a rather stoic look in most of the photographs, as this will register more hauntingly than a smiley bride. True enough, look at those pictures now, and she is definitely mythical.

I could not agree more!!! :flowers:
This was a monumental wedding and the absolute epitomy of a fairy-tale wedding! Not even Disney can top that! :) ;) I'm also glad that Grace's wedding gown is en vogue again! It's a true treasure in bridal couture! :heart2:

:coach:

In The Grimaldis of Monaco, Anne Edwards wrote:

There was no kiss after the bishop pronounced them man and wife, but Rainier grasped his wife's hand and as they exchanged a long, lingering glace, there was a tear in her eye.
:heartflower::twohearts::heartflower:

I came across this interesting article about a proposed set of replica wedding dolls to commemorate the wedding of Grace & Rainier. I think it is interesting because it illustrates how protective Rainier was towards Grace and his concerns about the Hollywood tag she came with. If you read the article you will see that Rainier had no objection to a doll of himself being released. Methinks this wouldn't have sold!
http://www.peggy-nisbet-dolls.co.uk...ditions/le-23-grace-kelly-and-prince-rainier/

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Her dress is so much nicer and more elegant than the countless strapless and sheer wedding dresses that are the fad nowdays....will never understand the need to expose your body to everyone let alone in a wedding dress!

LaRae

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 10 Wedding Gowns: #2. Princess Grace of Monaco

Grace's dress was simply amazing! The details of the dress are absolutely exquisite. Love the bell shaped skirt with the beautiful lace. The veil is also stunning and the back of the dress is wonderful. Love the skirt pleats on the train. It makes the dress even more unique. What I love about this gown, and her whole bridal look, is it's classic regal presence. This dress, is elegant, unique, regal, romantic, and timeless. Without a doubt, one of the most beautiful, and my favorite, royal wedding dresses of all time.

Indeed! All these years, all these Royal brides later and Grace Kelly still tops my Top Five list as Most Beautiful Royal Bride. It wasn't just the dress....it was her.

I think it's so funny that so many brides, both Royal and non-Royal, have tried to copy her look that day. They should all simply give up!:lol:

I think I may be in the minority but I don't find this dress particulary beautiful sorry....
I like the skirt but nothing more.... the upper part seems very ordinary and plain....

I liked the veil though and how it was attached to the head because I can recognize Grace Kelly's style...

I've often wondered why there were no royal guests at the wedding despite all the media attention,its like either they all stayed away or were not invited :D

Wasn't because the couple wanted their own day to be special without any clamor? That's why they both looked so serious, aside form the obvious nervousness I guess.
The intrusion of the media was just inevitable.

I think the reason for the absence of royals (except for ex King Farouk of Egypt and the Aga Khan) at Rainier and Grace's wedding was a combination of the old thing about Monaco being rather vulgar, 'a sunny place for shady people', the fact that Grace was a Hollywood film actress not a Royal, and the Monaco royals having few links, familial or otherwise with other royal Houses in the 1950's.

That's what I was also thinking in later years Rainier III and Grace became close with the Spanish Royal Family ,wonder what Queen Ena made of the Hollywood-Monaco marriage.

Which of the Hollywood newspapers and movie star magazines had representatives to cover the wedding of Grace?

I remember reading I think in some biography that Queen Ena was one of the few royals who supported Rainier and Grace's wedding, and thus becaming a godmother to Albert and a good friend to the couple. The reason for the support was due to her own experience at the spanish court, she never felt welcomed, even though she was of royal blood.

Did Princess Charlotte,Prince Pierre attend the wedding?

Asides from Hollywood stars these were some of the most high profile guests!

Princess Ghislaine of Monaco
Princess Antoinette
Count Charles de Polignac
Ex-King Farouk of Egypt
The Duchess of Westminster
The Aga Khan
Major-General Sir Arthur Guy Salisbury-Jones (Represented the British RF)
Randolph Churchill

I read that just a few royals attended this wedding:

Aga Khan - HH Prince Karim
Egypt - HM King Farouk II
Great-Britain - HRH Prince Edward, Duke of Windsor (former King Edward VIII)
Italy - HM King Umberto II

(Both the Egyptian and the Italian monarchs were exiled at that time). The European Royal Families were represented.

I would like to see pictures of these four royals who were present in the Cathedral of St. Nicolas, in Monaco, in 1953

Yes, it's true there are only members of Royal Dynasties of Egypt, Great Britain and Italy and for non european dynasty a member of the Aga Khan Dynasty, the others Euopean and not European Royal Families snobbed this wedding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom