On This Day: Spanish Royal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On this day, April 17, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1271: Juana I of Navarra, Navarrese queen, is born.
1902: Francisco de Asís de Borbón, King consort of Spain, dies.

21st of April 1213 : Death of Maria de Montpelhièr, queen of Aragon and Dame de Montpelhièr.

Maria was the wife of Pedro II of Aragon and was Lady of Montpelhièr in her own right.
Maria died in Rome trying to appeal to the Pope to stop her husband from divorcing her. Pedro II died a few months later in September 1213.

Maria was buried at St Peters in Rome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_of_Montpellier

On this day, April 22, 1451 ~ Birth of Queen Isabella of Castile and Leon at Madrigal de las Altas Torres in Avila, Spain

On this day, April 22, 1451 ~ Birth of Queen Isabella of Castile and Leon at Madrigal de las Altas Torres in Avila, Spain

At the time of her birth her older half brother Enrique was heir to the throne and the birth of a younger brother Alfonso in 1453 displaced Isabella into third in line and was not expected to rule.

Sadly Alfonso died suddenly aged just 14 and Enrique in 1474.

352px-Isabel_la_Cat%C3%B3lica%2C_Jos%C3%A9_Rosa.jpg

On this day, April 27, 1806 ~ Birth of Maria Christina of the Two Sicilies, Queen of Spain, fourth wife of King Ferdinand VII of Spain, in Palermo, Kingdom of Sicily

On this day, May 1, 1539 ~ Demise of Isabel of Portugal, Queen of Spain, wife of King Charles I of Spain, in Toledo, Spain

On this day, May 16, 1696 ~ Demise of Mariana of Austria, Queen of Spain, spouse of King Philip IV of Spain, in Madrid, Spain

On this day, May 17, 1886 ~ Birth of King Alfonso XIII of Spain in Madrid, Spain

Last edited by a moderator:
On this day, May 17, 1886 ~ Birth of King Alfonso XIII of Spain in Madrid, Spain

The king's mother, Maria Christina of Austria acted as queen Regent of Spain for the next 16 years.
The queen being sworn in as Regent of the Kingdom

800px-Jura_de_la_regente_Mar%C3%ADa_Cristina_de_Habsburgo_%28Francisco_Jover%2C_Joaqu%C3%ADn_Sorolla%29.jpg

On this day, May 18, 1829 ~ Demise of Maria Josepha Amalia of Saxony, Queen of Spain, wife of King Ferdinand VII of Spain, at the Royal Palace of Aranjuez in Spain

On this day, May 19, 1797 ~ Birth of Infanta Maria Isabel of Portugal, Queen Consort of King Ferdinand VII of Spain, at the Palace of Queluz in Portugal

On this day, May 20, 1293 ~ King Sancho IV of Castile created the Study of General Schools of Alcala

On this day, May 21, 1527 ~ Birth of King Philip II of Spain at Palacio de Bimentel in Valladolid, Spain

On this day, May 30, 1845 ~ Birth of King Amadeo I of Spain at the Royal Palace in Turin, Kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia

On this day, June 2, 1913 ~ Birth of Infante Juan of Spain, Count of Barcelona in Segovia, Spain

On this day, June 12, 1442 ~ King Alfonso V of Aragon occupied Naples

On this day, June 16, 1742 ~ Demise of Louise Elisabeth of Orleans, Queen of Spain, wife of King Luis I of Spain, at the Luxembourg Palace in Paris, France

On this day, June 24, 1860 ~ Birth of Maria de las Mercedes of Orleans, Queen of Spain, spouse of King Alfonso XII of Spain at the Palacio Real in Madrid, Spain

On this day, June 26, 1878 ~ Demise of Maria de las Mercedes of Orleans, Queen Consort of King Alfonso XII of Spain, at the Palacio Real de Madrid

July 5, 1316 : Death of the Infante Ferdinand of Majorca, Viscount of Aumelas and Lord of Frontignan.

The Infante was the son of Jaime II of Mallorca and Esclaramunda de Foix
Ferdinand was killed during at the Battle of Manolada in Morea while fighting for Venice ,his remains are buried at the Cathédrale Saint-Jean-Baptiste de Perpignan in modern day France.
Perpignan at the time Ferdinand was part of the kingdom of Majorca
Ferdinand had married in 1315 Isabelle d'Ibelin and Jaime III of Majorca was his posthumous son.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferdinand_of_Majorca

360px-Giraud_1868.jpg

On this day, July 9, 1746 ~ Demise of King Philip V of Spain at El Escorial in Madrid, Spain

On this day, July 11, 1766 ~ Demise of Elisabeth Farnese, Queen Consort of King Philip V of Spain, at the Palacio Real de Aranjuez

On this day, July 11, 1766 ~ Demise of Elisabeth Farnese, Queen Consort of King Philip V of Spain, at the Palacio Real de Aranjuez

Isabel was a very powerful queen and acted as Regent of Spain during her husbands various bouts of depression and later during the absence of her son Charles III of Spain.

Following her death queen Isabel was buried beside her husband at the Royal Collegiate of La Granja de San Ildefonso.

Felipe V and Isabel Farnese
640px-Felipe_V_e_Isabel_de_Farnesio.jpg

On this day, July 21, 1858 ~ Birth of Maria Christina of Austria, Queen of Spain, spouse of King Alfonso XII of Spain, at Zidlochovice Castle near Brno, Moravia

On this day, July 22, 1478 ~ Birth of Philip of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, spouse of Juana I, Queen of Castile and Leon, in Bruges, Duchy of Burgundy

On this day, July 22, 1478 ~ Birth of Philip of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, spouse of Juana I, Queen of Castile and Leon, in Bruges, Duchy of Burgundy

The Archduke Philippe le Beau was the son and heir of the son of the future Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian of Austria and Mary ,Duchess of Burgundy .
His older sister the Archduchess Marguerite was born in 1480 but sadly their mother Mary died on March 27th 1482,following a fall from a horse.

At the age of almost 4 ,Philippe became Duke of Burgundy,Brabant, Lothier, Luxemburg and Guelders,Count of Artois, Flanders, Charolais, Hainaut, Holland, Zeeland and Zutphen.

Philippe_le_beau_5_ans.jpg

On this day, August 9, 1847 ~ Birth of Queen Maria Vittoria of Spain, wife of King Amadeo I of Spain, in Paris, France

On this day, August 9, 1847 ~ Birth of Queen Maria Vittoria of Spain, wife of King Amadeo I of Spain, in Paris, France

Maria Vittoria was the only surviving child of Carlo Emanuele dal Pozzo della Cisterna, 5th Prince of Cisterna d'Asti and of Belriguardo, and Louise de Mérode-Westerloo.
In 1864 her father died and she inherited all of his titles and in 1867 she married Prince Amadeo of Savoy, the Duke of Aosta.

335px-%D0%9C%D0%B0%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D0%92%D0%B8%D1%82%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%B8%D1%8F_%D0%B4%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C_%D0%9F%D0%BE%D1%86%D1%86%D0%BE%2C_%D0%BA%D0%BE%D1%80%D0%BE%D0%BB%D0%B5%D0%B2%D0%B0_%D0%98%D1%81%D0%BF%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B8.jpg

On this day, August 10, 1759 ~ Demise of King Ferdinand VI of Spain in Madrid, Spain

On this day, August 11, 1303 ~ King Enrique of Castile, Castilian Infante, died.

On this day, August 13, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1311: Alfonso XI of Castile, Castilian King, called "the Justiciero" (d. 1350), is born.
1713: Felipe V is recognized as King of Spain after signing peace with Savoy during the War of the Spanish Succession.
1865: Francisco de Paula Antonio de Borbón, Infante of Spain, I Duke of Cadiz, son of Carlos IV, dies.

On this day, August 21, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1157: Alfonso VII, Castilian-Leonese king, dies (b. 1105).

On this day, August 25, 1707 ~ Birth of King Luis I of Spain at Buen Retiro Palace in Madrid, Spain

On this day, August 27, 1758 ~ Demise of Barbara of Portugal, Queen of Spain, wife of King Ferdinand VI of Spain, at Palacio Real de Aranjuez

On this day, August 27, 1758 ~ Demise of Barbara of Portugal, Queen of Spain, wife of King Ferdinand VI of Spain, at Palacio Real de Aranjuez

Barbara of Portugal had been queen since 1746 until her death and was 46 at the time of her death.
The queen was buried in a Franciscan habit and interred at the convent of the Visitation of Our Lady in Madrid which she had founded in 1748.
383px-Mar%C3%ADa_B%C3%A1rbara_of_Portugal_by_van_Loo.jpg

On this day, August 31, in the Spanish Monarchy:

1217: In Castile, Queen Berenguela cedes the throne to her son Fernando III.
1724: Luis I, King of Spain, dies.

On this day, September 13, 1598 ~ Demise of King Philip II of Spain

On this day, September 17, 1688 ~ Birth of Maria Luisa of Savoy, Queen of Spain, wife of King Philip V of Spain, at the Royal Palace of Turin in Turin, Duchy of Savoy

On this day, September 21, 1558 ~ Demise of Charles I, King of Spain at the Monastery of Yuste

On this day, September 25, 1506 ~ Demise of Philip of Austria, Duke of Burgundy, King of Castile and Leon, husband of Queenn Juana I of Castile, at Burgos, Kingdom of Castile

On this day, September 27, 1760 ~ Demise of Maria Amalia of Saxony, Queen of Spain, wife of King Charles III of Spain at Buen Retiro Palace in Madrid, Spain

On this day, October 3, 1568 ~ Demise of Elisabeth de Valois, daughter of King Henry II of France, wife of King Philip II of Spain

On this day, October 3, 1568 ~ Demise of Elisabeth de Valois, daughter of King Henry II of France, wife of King Philip II of Spain

Élisabeth de France was the favourite daughter of her mother Queen Catherine,but Élisabeth was completely terrified of her of mother!
The news of her death had a profound affect on queen Catherine who in a rare show of emotion burst into tears infront of ambassadors and withdrew to her private chapel.

416px-Isabel_de_Valois2..jpg

On this day, October 6, 1644 ~ Demise of Elisabeth of France, Queen Consort of King Philip IV of Spain, at the Royal Alcazar in Madrid, spain

On this day, October 6, 1644 ~ Demise of Elisabeth of France, Queen Consort of King Philip IV of Spain, at the Royal Alcazar in Madrid, spain

Elisabeth de France, Madame Royale was the eldest daughter of Henri IV of France and Marie de Medici.
Also known as Isabel de Borbón during her tenure as Queen Consort of Spain ,she was also queen consort of Portugal 1621-1640.

420px-Isabel_de_Borb%C3%B3n%2C_reine_d%27Espagne.jpg

On this day, October 10, 1830 ~ Birth of Queen Isabella II of Spain at the Royal Palace in Madrid, Spain

On this day, October 13, 1162 ~ Birth of Eleanor of England, Queen of Castile, at Domfront Castle in the Duchy of Normandy

Back
Top Bottom