Diana, Princess of Wales: Statue Unveiling - July 1st 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If that’s true it’s a real shame. I wonder why she is off the list, it can’t be because of Covid as she is in the same bubble as her husband.

If that’s true it’s a real shame. I wonder why she is off the list, it can’t be because of Covid as she is in the same bubble as her husband.
It all seems odd. She dind't know Diana but she's Will's wife.. Who IS going to be at this? the Spencer Aunts, Charles, Will and Harry? That's all?

The above link from the Fail states

• Also there will be the statue committee, sculptor Ian Rank-Broadley and garden designer Pip Morrison

I meant personal people like family and close friends. It has gone on so long that it is probably best to do it like this but it wont be a very big occasion...

I suppose because they can have so few people attend, they want it to be people who knew Diana. And people who were responsible for the statue.

It seems like the way things are set up to go, it's going to be a short and sweet occasion with a minimal amount of people there including minimal press coverage. That's pretty smart considering the recent onslaught of reports about the relationship between William and Harry.

There was also a snippet about a bigger ceremony/occasion in September so we'll see what that involves.

The thing I remember most about Diana's appearance -- seen in films and such - was how gracefully she moved. Even in exiting a car, a potential sticky wicket for many royal ladies, Diana just glided.

If something of that lithe grace of movement could be captured, that would be lovely.
I agree with you about the movement. Let’s hope she’s not sitting on a bench:D That would be pretty weird to say the least.

It goes without saying that of the fifty residences at Kensington Palace there are four royal families living there. So I just assume they are the only ones invited, but what about the other residences, are they not invited even though they live there? It made me think of Diana's funeral where two thousand were in attendance and I would not have wanted to be one of the unlucky people that had to decide who was invited...or not.

It goes without saying that of the fifty residences at Kensington Palace there are four royal families living there. So I just assume they are the only ones invited, but what about the other residences, are they not invited even though they live there? It made me think of Diana's funeral where two thousand were in attendance and I would not have wanted to be one of the unlucky people that had to decide who was invited...or not.

Its hardly the same, is it? Diana's funeral didn't take place when there were restrictions on people meeting. Besides, I dont think Diana was on close friend terms with the other families who lived in KP....

I'd be surprised if any of William and Harry's Spencer cousins were there.

I think those included is who should be there -- her sons, the Spencers, and the designer/ sculpture. No one else really needs to be included in this ceremony.

It hardly seems worthwhile having a ceremony for so few people especially if they end up having another one in September. And that's not a good time because it is close to her death. But things have dragged on for so long..

The effects of the Pandemic might not be gone in September.

If that's the case then a bigger event will probalby have to wait till next summer....

It hardly seems worthwhile having a ceremony for so few people especially if they end up having another one in September. And that's not a good time because it is close to her death. But things have dragged on for so long..

I don't think it is so much about the statue at that point. What I gathered is that this was initially going to be a garden party style unveiling. Likely with many of Diana's former charities and patronages. Family, friends, etc. They can't do that, so they scaled it back dramatically. The goal is maybe to do something of the like in September if possible. But nothing has been confirmed.

The thing I remember most about Diana's appearance -- seen in films and such - was how gracefully she moved. Even in exiting a car, a potential sticky wicket for many royal ladies, Diana just glided.

If something of that lithe grace of movement could be captured, that would be lovely.
I am glad you noticed her grace of movement also. I always have, especially whe I see some of those royal women clunking along in their super high heels

Diana never had to wear those, though, due to her height and trying not to be taller than Charles, not to mention they weren't really in style then. She was a trained dancer, but don't you think more normal shoes helped, too?

She did wear high heels, but she did have a natural grace....

Duke of Cambridge to show his children Diana statue ahead of official unveiling

(...)

The family are expected to view the statue in its final position in Kensington Palace's Sunken Garden for a quiet moment of reflection in the coming days.

Prince William is understood to be keen to share some private time in the presence of the statue with his children Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis before it is revealed to the wider world.

(...)

Initially there had been plans for more than 100 guests to attend the unveiling, but plans have been dramatically scaled back due to concerns over the pandemic.

As well as her two sons, members of the Spencer family are also expected to attend on Thursday.

No decision has yet been made on whether the Duchess of Cambridge will join her husband at Thursday’s official ceremony.

(...)

Edit: Archive file https://archive.ph/C2q2t

Last edited:
It makes sense for William to do a private viewing with his family. I am sure Harry will also view is privately as well.

Seems like they still don't have confirmation if Kate will attend or not. Odd they being so secretive about it.

Thanks so much for posting the archive - I really appreciate it!:flowers:

I think this is wonderful for William to have some time alone with the children and Kate and perhaps for Harry to have some alone time too. Even with the scaled down unveiling, I would think it would be important to have some time without others there (committee, sculptor, etc) when they actually see it for the first time. I’m sure that it will be very emotional for them. Even Charlotte realizes that “Papa misses you.”?

:ermm:Seriously don’t think Charles will be there unless you mean Charles Spencer

Last edited by a moderator:
:ermm:Seriously don’t think Charles will be there unless you mean Charles Spencer

I believe Charles is slated to be in Scotland. He also went to Scotland at the time there was a commemoration for Diana on the 20th anniversary of her death. He graciously removed himself from the public eye at that time so that the focus would be on Diana and her sons that were remembering her. This time isn't any different.

I would imagine that the event planned for September will have far more people invited to it and most likely will be when the statue and the garden is available for public viewing. That's my guess anyways.

I can't see the point of a September event. Once the statue has been unveiled, it is open for anybody to view.

I can't see the point of a September event. Once the statue has been unveiled, it is open for anybody to view.

its been said that there will be a September event since this opening is only going to be for a few people. Probalby other relatives and freinds who could not be at this one....will be invited and it will be a bit more "party like". At present Covid restrictions are going to keep it very small

Last edited:
its been said that there will be a September event since this opening is only going to be for a few people. Probalby other relatives and freinds who could not be at this one....will be invited and it will be a bit more "party like". At present Covid restrictions are going to keep it very small

Was this an official announcement or speculation?

There is an article on The Sunday Times speculating and analysing whether the unveiling of Diana's statue will put William and Harry on good terms. At one point, Roya Nikkhah wrote that Prince of Wales will not be attending the unveiling instead he will be at an official visit to Canada.

William and Harry last commemorated their mother together on July 1, 2017, which would have been Diana’s 56th birthday. They attended a private service of “prayer and reflection” led by the Archbishop of Canterbury, at her grave in the grounds of Althorp House, the Spencer family seat in Northamptonshire. The Prince of Wales was more than 3,000 miles away, on an official visit to Canada. He will be absent on Thursday.

“He does find it terribly difficult,” says a friend. “These moments have the potential to resurface old wounds, and it brings back memories for him; happy, sad, regretful. Since Diana’s death, he has felt it’s best to keep those memories to himself and leave his sons to it.”

Can William and Harry ever patch things up?
The brothers used to speak as one over the memory of their mother. Now, barely on nodding terms, they will issue separate tributes as they unveil a statue of Diana on what would have been her 60th birthday
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/can-william-and-harry-ever-patch-things-up-qd85wbd3f

Archive link: https://archive.ph/BFTmz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom