The Princess of Orange, News and Events Part 2 (Jan 2024 - present)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Princess of Orange has written a letter to Prime Minister Rutte. She announces that from 2025 onwards she will no longer return the income she receives from the government, as she has been doing these last years.

Note that the princess only talks about the B-part of the income. Her own personal income of 300.000 Euros will still be transferred back to the state.

The princess states the money is needed for her function, to cover material and staff costs.

Last edited:
She will graduate next year, so it will be interesting to see what kind or 'royal agenda' she will undertake next to preparing for her graduate studies. The message clearly states that she will not keep the income part until she has finished her studies, so I am quite sure a master's degree will follow.

In her letter she also references the 'unexpected circumstances', so they might have decided that she needs her own secretary (and place to work and live) a bit earlier than expected as thorough preparation is necessary for anything she undertakes.

The prime minister fully understands Amalia's decision. He stresses that she is getting more 'visible' in her role as 'crown princess' (unofficial term) for example during the recent state visit but also at other events - and needs to prepare for her changing role now she is progressing in her studies. He also mentions that she won't keep the 'income part' yet and that she was entitled to all of the money from the moment she turned 18, so it is praiseworthy that she decided against it at first, but of course, is fully understandable that she decides to keep it when she needs it.

:previous:

The PM clarified more during a talk with RTL Nieuws. He says that the income will be used to build up an independent secretariat, a reservation will be made for future living/ and working place and thirdly eventual other costs due to her visibility and the expectations around representation. The latter will be limited for now so the largest part will go to the second component, the reservation for a future place to work and live.

The Prime Minister adds that due to the Law on the Royal House she will be entitled for a house and an office provided by the state. She will not be using that as it would have brought along many costs as well. Instead this contruction now has been chosen, as was the case for her father (Noordeinde 66 and later Villa Eikenhorst) and her grandmother (Drakensteijn Castle).

Let's hope she has a frugal nature as real estate prices in The Hague and Wassenaar have also increased a lot & will certainly need substantial savings. I suppose in due course the easiest thing would be to have another villa constructed on the Horsten estate near Eikenhorst as the security infrastructure will still be there, though I am not sure there is that much space without the cutting of trees and such, which will probably lead to never ending court cases by evironmental organisations and neighbours. It would be refreshing if she opted something a bit further from The Hague. I believe Beatrix owns the largest part of the forest between Drakensteijn and Soestdijk. Time will tell.

Last edited:
The Prime Minister's explanation makes sense, but it doesn't really clarify the 'unexpected circumstances' she mentioned.

The Prime Minister's explanation makes sense, but it doesn't really clarify the 'unexpected circumstances' she mentioned.
A heightened security risk most likely brings along higher costs for her living/working arrangements.

Reactions: SOS
I'm confused, if the state provided her with a residence why does she need to save for a residence?

Otherwise, I get as her roles increases she needs some of her allowance to pay for increased expenses and costs. Even if it is just some secretarial support in the background, it costs.

I'm confused, if the state provided her with a residence why does she need to save for a residence?

Otherwise, I get as her roles increases she needs some of her allowance to pay for increased expenses and costs. Even if it is just some secretarial support in the background, it costs.
As the PM explained, the state is in practice not providing her with a residence - instead a different and more cost-effective construction is chosen... However, I also don't fully understand the inner workings of this arrangement.

Last edited:
I find the logic a bit odd as well, but it has been done before. I imagine it evades a public outcry the moment she does find a place for herself and the public will be angry at expensive doorknobs and golden taps which she will supposedly want all paid for by the proverbial 'hardworking Dutch tax payer'. And it will evade too much haggling between the court/Amalia and the Rijksgebouwendienst (State building service) about the decoration, she will be more free to do as she pleases with the property.

In addition it is a solid investment for her which she would otherwise not have.

I have to say I'm stumped by this, is the plan she uses her official allowance to save up for a residence of her own? If so, surely that would be state property and not her own? It would seem more logical to say she is taking the personal part of her allowance and saving that up as that is her "salary" (even if we want to say royals don't get paid for the work they do) thus her own to do as she pleases with.

I appreciate it may be nothing like that at all and I'm just fully misunderstanding it all.

I have to say I'm stumped by this, is the plan she uses her official allowance to save up for a residence of her own? If so, surely that would be state property and not her own? It would seem more logical to say she is taking the personal part of her allowance and saving that up as that is her "salary" (even if we want to say royals don't get paid for the work they do) thus her own to do as she pleases with.

I appreciate it may be nothing like that at all and I'm just fully misunderstanding it all.
It seems that is what the prime minister is saying. He stresses that this is part of the system/monarchy and also emphasizes that it is the responsibility of the state to take care of that but that -like her father and grandmother- she doesn't use that facility that is lawfully hers but wants to do it independently... I guess most people would be able to do so 'independently' if they would receive 1,5 million yearly from the government to do so... However, she is the only heir to the throne...

The PM stated that the money will be used for 3 different purposes:
1) building up her private secretariat (this will increase of the years as she is building a more active portfolio)
2) reservation for future work and living quarters (the largest part for now)
3) everything related to her increased visibility (I assume that includes clothing etc)

Jeroen Snel -the usually well informed royalty reporter for RTL Boulevard- mentioned that the 'surprising circumstances' in the letter indeed refer to the situation in Spain, which has led to increased costs (renting an additional appropriate location for example). He also refers to Eveline van der Bent as her secretary. Officially Van der Bent works for the King and Queen but -according to Snel- in practice he says she works full time for Amalia.

Does anyone know if that's a complete photo of the letter? It seems odd for an official letter from the princess to the prime minister with no letterhead or business formatting.

Back
Top Bottom