Denmark : Abdication & Accession Day - January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mobile coffee vans and Hot dog stands would make a fortune on this day.

There were at least one coffee van and it had a constant queue in front of it. I was very tempted, but decided not to since it would've been impossible to go if I had to. So neither any fluids nor any food between 9.00 and 19.00.

Sorry for my string of posts but I can't quote more than one post at a time since the app stopped working.

Glad you were prepared with the portable chair even if the crowd was elbow-to-elbow. ?

I bought it for the coronation and it worked just fine for the proclamation as well. At least until ca 14.00 when they opened up access to the palace square and everyone ran to get a good spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bad translator? Or wishful thinker? I didn’t think support and trust were particularly similar in meaning. I’ll hope for both words to be important!

Or someone who only speaks Danglish.

Anyway, King Frederik clearly said support, no question about that.

The PM was interviewed this evening and she said that it was very important for QMII to see her son in the chair at the end of the table at the State Council.

I'm so very glad that she got to see that. - She wouldn't have if she was dead.

An almost 5 hour coverage from Daily Mail.

I assume the comments and such are in English, so it may have interest to many here.

If you insist.
Shall we bring the beer? Or will you cover that?

No, they didn't show it live. Not sure I really understand why. Perhaps that will change at the next abdication.
King Frederik did not sign anything. He didn't have to.
The second QMII had signed the documents, he was King.

There is no such thing as an interregnum in DK. The second a monarch vacates the throne, the next one sits on it.

We'll cover the beer AND wine - we are far superior at producing both ?;)

It was very poignant seeing the photo of Frederik at the head of the table and in the distance, the old Monarch walking away. I am very glad Margrethe was able to see her son and grandson take those poositions

Before I go, anyone knows what were the words QMII said, to the seated people of to King Frederik, just before she turned toward the door?

Before I go, anyone knows what were the words QMII said, to the seated people of to King Frederik, just before she turned toward the door?

"God save the King."

"God save the King."

Thanks! :flowers:

Muhler, I don't know the language but for a second the way she turned I thought she said like 'everyone get back to work' or something. ?

I was watching the Danish channel last night and this morning and just by sound recognized many words from their English versions. In the Australian news Mary was praised for learning a 'difficult' language, but I guess by immersion it won't take that many years to learn it to survive in Denmark.

Last edited:
https://nyheder.tv2.dk/2024-01-14-j...-jeg-kan-faa-sagde-den-nye-konge-til-sit-folk

"Kong Frederik understregede, at han får brug for al den støtte, han kan få. - Fra min elskede hustru, fra min familie, fra jer og fra det, der er større end os. Fremtiden går jeg i møde med visheden om, at jeg ikke står alene."

"King Frederik emphasized that he will need all the support he can get.
- From my beloved wife, from my family, from you and from that which is greater than us. I face the future with the certainty that I am not alone."

Thanks to all who sorted this out! The translator in the link I posted must have been hoping to see a romantic happy ending. Me, too!

From rewatching some of the clips it was so lovely to see how tactile Frederik is. He isn’t afraid to show emotion. I especially loved how hands on both he and Mary are with their children. Giving them so much affection on the two balconies, hugging them and putting their arms around them. Just so lovely to witness.

As I posted before, I loved the accession ceremony and the proceedings before and afterwards, which I watched live all the way through, even if it was the early hours of the morning here in Australia!

It was indeed a real breath of fresh air to see the simplicity of it all, the dignity of Queen Margrethe, and the emotion and great love between the King Frederik, Queen Mary and the ordinary Danes out in the streets and in front of the palaces.

I still feel overcome by it to tell you the truth. Those cheers and the roar when the royal couple and their children appeared! Btw I would say there were more than the estimated 150,000 people out celebrating on the streets.

Last edited:
The UK daily Telegraph has claimed the balcony kiss was awkward because ‘’Queen Mary turned her face away’! Clearly the Telegraph journalists were watching some other event: the body language between the two was anything BUT awkward!

I hope we get some pictures of tonight's dinner. How about a guest list?

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/hm-the-king-appointed-as-admiral-and-general

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/h-m-kongen-udnaevnt-til-admiral-og-general

On the occasion of his accession to the throne, HM The King has been appointed to the highest military rank in the Army, the Navy and the Air Force respectively. As admiral and general, His Majesty is now of the same rank as the Chief of Defence.

[...]

The rest of the press release recaps King Frederik X's military career.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/hm-the-king’s-full-dress-uniform

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/h-m-kongens-gallauniform

HM The King was, for the first time, attired in the Navy’s full-dress uniform with four stars on the epaulettes (shoulder insignia) when The King was proclaimed from the balcony at Christiansborg Palace on 14 January 2024.

Among other occasions, The King also wore the full-dress uniform when His Majesty, as Crown Prince, was married in 2004. In connection with the succession of the throne, The King has been appointed to the rank of admiral, among other things. Therefore, the full-dress uniform has been modified for the occasion, which the four stars on the shoulder insignia, among other things, indicate.

On the uniform, The King wore, in addition to the row of medals, the Order of the Elephant in the dove blue ribbon of the order. The Order of the Elephant’s breast star, which is worn uppermost, is of silver with eight rays, with a gilded medallion in the centre containing a cross of silver on a red background surrounded by a silver laurel wreath. The breast star of the Grand Commander Cross is worn below and is a star of silver with eight rays, covered by a white-enamelled cross with edges in red enamel.

The naval officer’s sabre that The King wore with the uniform belonged to Frederik IX and was given to His Majesty by Queen Ingrid in connection with The King’s appointment to the rank of lieutenant-commander of the Navy reserve in 1997.​

We were singing the national anthem.

At that time the crowds were so large that it was impossible to sit down. I had my chair in a bag I kept between my legs (don't ask).

Good morning JR, I am so glad that you were able to witness such an historical event.
I just want to say, that my Dad had a sturdy type of walking stick where two metal handles folded up like a - T section for you to sit on while out playing golf. A handy thing, when standing for too long can be detrimental.

The royal website published the guestlist for the court/levee held at Christiansborg Palace by the new king and queen following the Council of State.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/kur-for-saerligt-indbudte
https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/court-for-specially-invited-guests

Court for specially invited guests

In connection with the Council of State, the new King and Queen will hold court for specially invited guests in the Throne Room at Christiansborg Palace at 14:30 hrs.

Court – in Danish, kur – is derived from the French “cour”, which means court. The Danish use of the word especially refers to the ceremony in which a number of people obtain an audience with and greet the monarch. The Royal House of Denmark holds annual courts – also called as levees – for a wide circle of people in connection with the commencement of a new year. Ordinarily, a court or levee is carried out while standing, unlike a banquet, at which one is seated at a table.

Representatives of official Denmark and of the Realm will take part in the court.

The court guests in the Throne Room:
HM The King and HM The Queen
HRH The Crown Prince
HRH Prince Joachim
Ms Jane Stephens

Statsminister Mette Frederiksen
Formand for Folketinget Søren Gade
H.E. Højesteretspræsident Jens Peter Christensen
H.E. Forsvarschef, general Flemming Lentfer
Statsrådssekretær, departementschef i Statsministeriet Barbara Bertelsen
Rigspolitichef Thorkild Fogde
Biskop over Københavns Stift Peter Skov-Jakobsen
Formand for Naalakkersuisut Múte I.B. Egede
Lagmand for Færøernes landsstyre Aksel V. Johannesen
Representatives from the Court​

I wonder why Princess Benedikte was absent?

The royal website also released a statement on the Order of the Elephant; see here:

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/t...n-become-knights-of-the-order-of-the-elephant

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/kongeparrets-tre-yngste-boern-bliver-elefantriddere

14 January 2024 | News

The King and Queen’s three youngest children become Knights of the Order of the Elephant

HM The King is the Sovereign of the Orders for the two royal orders of chivalry, the Order of the Elephant and the Order of Dannebrog. According to the statutes (rules) of the Order of the Elephant, the sons of the Sovereign of the Orders – today, also daughters – are born members of the order. That is to say that HM The King’s three youngest children, HRH Princess Isabella, HRH Prince Vincent and HRH Princess Josephine, are Knights of the Order of the Elephant from 14 January 2024 onwards. The three new Knights of the Order of the Elephant will likely be presented with the Order of the Elephant’s insignias on their 18th birthdays. Likewise, HM The King and HRH Prince Joachim became Knights of the Order of the Elephant upon the accession to the throne of their mother, HM Queen Margrethe, on 14 January 1972 and were presented with the insignias when they turned 18 years old.​

https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/hm-the-king-appointed-as-admiral-and-general

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/h-m-kongen-udnaevnt-til-admiral-og-general

On the occasion of his accession to the throne, HM The King has been appointed to the highest military rank in the Army, the Navy and the Air Force respectively. As admiral and general, His Majesty is now of the same rank as the Chief of Defence.

[...]

Without knowing much about the Danish military, I am assuming from the excerpt above that Denmark is similar to Australia and Canada, where the Chief of the Defense Staff (in Denmark, the "Chief of Defence" using British spelling) is the only active military officer who holds what in the United States is called a "four-star rank", while the commanders for example of the Army, the Navy, and the Air Force, who serve under the CDS, hold the equivalent to a three-star (maybe two-star?) rank only. Maybe Muhler can confirm that later.

Note that this is not the case in the UK, where both the CDS, the Vice CDS and the 3 service chiefs (plus one or two commanders like the Commander UK Strategic Command and the Deputy Supreme Allied Commander Europe) now hold (the equivalent to) four-star ranks while the King actually holds higher "five-star" honorary ranks (in the UK, Field Marshal in the Army, Admiral of the Fleet, and Marshal of the Royal Air Force). The British CDS also used to hold a five-star rank, but was downgraded to four-stars in the late 1990s, I think.

Note 1: in connection with the UK, I am using the terminology "xx-star" just to provide an international comparison based on US ranks, but, strictly speaking, British general officers do not wear "star" insignia.

Note 2: In the United States, of course, there is an insanely high number of four-star general officers by international standards (I think, currently 44), but the US military is huge with multiple combatant commands and headquarters.

EDIT: I just checked on the Wikipedia and it looks like 3-star ranks like Lieutenant General or Vice Admiral, which, in Australia or Canada, are held both by the Vice CDS/CDF and the service chiefs, are reserved in Denmark to the Vice Chief of Defence only, while the service chiefs hold only two-star ranks (Major General or Rear Admiral).

Last edited:
The UK daily Telegraph has claimed the balcony kiss was awkward because ‘’Queen Mary turned her face away’! Clearly the Telegraph journalists were watching some other event: the body language between the two was anything BUT awkward!

I had the exact same impression as the Telegraph.

Another footage of the balcony scene:
https://www.facebook.com/reel/400580915654726

We can see Joachim was there, looking on to his brother being proclaimed as king.

It was nice to see footage of him. In the coverage I saw, he was only mentioned as someone in a car coming and going.

It only appeared awkward because she wasn't expecting it, not because she's repulsed by him. Judging by how genuine her smile was, not only during the kiss but after it, her initial surprise melted away rather quickly.

People are always looking for angles to start nonsense. I mean, there are already people who think QMargrethe abdicated to keep Mary from divorcing him, which is about the largest load of twaddle I've heard in a long time.

Or someone who only speaks Danglish.

Anyway, King Frederik clearly said support, no question about that.

The PM was interviewed this evening and she said that it was very important for QMII to see her son in the chair at the end of the table at the State Council.

I'm so very glad that she got to see that. - She wouldn't have if she was dead.

I agree! She waited.
Wow. Full circle, saying God save the King to her father, and now to her son. With 52 years of duty as Queen in between.

In both balcony scenes, I saw a united couple but also some hands on parents, looking back at them at times putting the arms around each other.
It must be overwhelming to see thousands of people cheering for them

It only appeared awkward because she wasn't expecting it, not because she's repulsed by him. Judging by how genuine her smile was, not only during the kiss but after it, her initial surprise melted away rather quickly.

People are always looking for angles to start nonsense. I mean, there are already people who think QMargrethe abdicated to keep Mary from divorcing him, which is about the largest load of twaddle I've heard in a long time.

Yes, I agree! It looked like someone inside (perhaps one of their children) said something and she looked back at them briefly just as Frederick started to give her a kiss. The affection between them was very obvious to me!

I agree! She waited.
Wow. Full circle, saying God save the King to her father, and now to her son. With 52 years of duty as Queen in between.

In both balcony scenes, I saw a united couple but also some hands on parents, looking back at them at times putting the arms around each other.
It must be overwhelming to see thousands of people cheering for them

I saw a very emotional, overwhelmed couple and united. At times holding on to each other for support. Mary looked incredibly proud of Frederik. I cannot imagine the feelings they were experiencing. But as has always been the case, they were there for each other and in the.middle of all that making sure their kids were handling it all okay.

I saw nothing other than emotion, excitement, awe, love, celebration! It was an absolutely magical and historic day!

My impression, which is very subjective, is that they didn't rehearse the balcony appearance so well and were a bit unsure about what to do like holding hands, embracing each other, facing each other, raising their hands together, and so on, and ended up doing all of the above in a somewhat awkward way. I don't think the kiss was planned, as it only came in the encore balcony appearance and possibly as a reaction to a demand from the crowd. In any case they probably felt at the moment that it was something they should do. My impression is that Mary suggested it first as she says something to Frederik before the kiss, but I would have to watch the footage again.

I don't want to be cynical, but it is clear that Frederik and Mary are a team and, whatever arrangement they have or agreed to, if it works for them, who are we to judge?

Last edited:
I saw a very emotional, overwhelmed couple and united. At times holding on to each other for support. Mary looked incredibly proud of Frederik. I cannot imagine the feelings they were experiencing. But as has always been the case, they were there for each other and in the.middle of all that making sure their kids were handling it all okay.

I saw nothing other than emotion, excitement, awe, love, celebration! It was an absolutely magical and historic day!

Agree.
Even in the car ride.
https://imgix.billedbladet.dk/2024-...mat,compress&fit=min&crop=faces,entropy&w=900

These arent trained actors but humans going through extraordinary circumstances. Very natural with everything going on, yes including the thousands of people.

I'm surprised no one has noted that Frederik is now the youngest European monarch:
Harald of Norway b. 1937
Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein b. 1945
Carl Gustav of Sweden b. 1947
Charles of the UK b. 1948
Henri of Luxembourg b. 1955
Albert of Monaco b. 1958
Philippe of Belgium b. 1960
Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands b. 1967
Felipe of Spain b. January 1968
Frederik of Denmark b. May 1968

In fact, globally, only Tamin bin Hamad of Qatar (b. 1980), Jigme of Bhutan (b. 1980), and Muhammed of Malaysia (b. 1969) are younger.

Yes, I agree! It looked like someone inside (perhaps one of their children) said something and she looked back at them briefly just as Frederick started to give her a kiss. The affection between them was very obvious to me!

You could see Frederik and Mary conversing, and I could see Mary saying something like "they wants us to kiss". Just after Mary and Frederik looked behind, Mary nods and appears to say "let's do this". I am NOT a pro lip reader, so I could be wrong :flowers:?

No way was the affection between them staged. As polyesco stated, these people are not actors - if there were any truth to the rumors, no way would Mary be showing the warmth and affection she did toward Frederik. You cannot fake that at all

Agree.
Even in the car ride.
https://imgix.billedbladet.dk/2024-...mat,compress&fit=min&crop=faces,entropy&w=900

These arent trained actors but humans going through extraordinary circumstances. Very natural with everything going on, yes including the thousands of people.

It must be difficult enough to act perfectly polished when appearing in front of such large, excited crowds. Trying to do so on one of the most emotional days of their life together would be close to impossible.

I thought Christian, especially, but also Isabella, were the ones who showed everyone how things were done yesterday. Christian was very poised during the Council of State (and clearly very concerned and caring towards his grandmother) and he and Isabella were perfect during the balcony appearances, very mature and confident.

I'm surprised no one has noted that Frederik is now the youngest European monarch:
Harald of Norway b. 1937
Hans-Adam of Liechtenstein b. 1945
Carl Gustav of Sweden b. 1947
Charles of the UK b. 1948
Henri of Luxembourg b. 1955
Albert of Monaco b. 1958
Philippe of Belgium b. 1960
Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands b. 1967
Felipe of Spain b. January 1968
Frederik of Denmark b. May 1968

In fact, globally, only Tamin bin Hamad of Qatar (b. 1980), Jigme of Bhutan (b. 1980), and Muhammed of Malaysia (b. 1969) are younger.

The youngest European monarch is one of the Co-Princes of Andorra, Emmanuel Macron(born 1977).

What is going on with Josephine, her behavior and expression for this second balcony appearance seem weird

I read somewhere that she recently got braces on her teeth and may still be self-conscious about them.

The royal website published the guestlist for the court/levee held at Christiansborg Palace by the new king and queen following the Council of State.

https://www.kongehuset.dk/nyheder/kur-for-saerligt-indbudte
https://www.kongehuset.dk/en/news/court-for-specially-invited-guests

Court for specially invited guests

In connection with the Council of State, the new King and Queen will hold court for specially invited guests in the Throne Room at Christiansborg Palace at 14:30 hrs.

Court – in Danish, kur – is derived from the French “cour”, which means court. The Danish use of the word especially refers to the ceremony in which a number of people obtain an audience with and greet the monarch. The Royal House of Denmark holds annual courts – also called as levees – for a wide circle of people in connection with the commencement of a new year. Ordinarily, a court or levee is carried out while standing, unlike a banquet, at which one is seated at a table.

Representatives of official Denmark and of the Realm will take part in the court.

The court guests in the Throne Room:
HM The King and HM The Queen
HRH The Crown Prince
HRH Prince Joachim
Ms Jane Stephens

(...)​

I wonder why Princess Benedikte was absent?

(...)

I assume Benedikte was with her sister at Amalienborg. By that time Margrethe was either returning or had just returned from Christiansborg, so it makes sense for her sister to join her instead of being with her nephew.

And as to why they were not on the balcony; the focus was on the new king's family. Both Joachim and Benedikte are no longer children of the monarch but children of a previous monarch - and in that way are not fully comparable to Isabella, Vincent and Josephine. I don't recall any other royal family that had a balcony appearance of a new monarch after an abdication including siblings of the monarch (or previous monarchs). The previous monarch might be present (for example in the Netherlands) but the focus is on the new monarch's core family: monarch, spouse and children.

That doesn't mean that siblings or other family members aren't present at other moments during the day; however, that would require official acts that have a larger number of people present. In this case, there was only a short 'court' today, a private dinner tonight, tomorrow there will be a longer reception and next week there'll be the church service in Aarhus.

It must be difficult enough to act perfectly polished when appearing in front of such large, excited crowds. Trying to do so on one of the most emotional days of their life together would be close to impossible.

I thought Christian, especially, but also Isabella, were the ones who showed everyone how things were done yesterday. Christian was very poised during the Council of State (and clearly very concerned and caring towards his grandmother) and he and Isabella were perfect during the balcony appearances, very mature and confident.

I agree, Christian and Isabella handled everything very professionally and caringly (Christian towards his grandmother and Isabella was clearly checking in on her younger siblings during the balcony appearance).

Frederik being seated with his back towards his mother when she left looked a bit awkward but him fully turning around would also have been somewhat complicated (after his mother wanted him to take the seat).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom