Celebratory events following the Accession of King Frederik X: January 2024 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is Denmark not like the UK with family orders ie wearing more than one. I thought Mary would have still worn Margrethe's with the new one?

Is Denmark not like the UK with family orders ie wearing more than one. I thought Mary would have still worn Margrethe's with the new one?

Obviously not. Queen Ingrid only wore her husband's, not her father-in-law and her husband's. So, it would stand to reason that Mary would wear only Frederik's.

I wasn't sure because in Norway they wear more than one as well(if the royal lady in question as more than one obviously)

Yep, it seems that Denmark only wear one and that's the one you first receive. Except for the current Queen, who changes it to her husband's. (Mary now wearing Frederik's and not Margrethe's). Ingrid wore her husband's only.

Benedikte and Anne-Marie wear their father's and not their sister's.

The necklace indeed disappears due to the green lace. I am looking forward to seeing HM with this parure soon, the official portrait feels more underwhelming than I expected, perhaps due to the amount of unnecessary photoshop. The diamonds feel 'dead'. I think it will look a lot better when we get normal images of HM with this parure, which hopefully be soon.

The big diamond (and ruby?) star that King Frederik is wearing must be the one that his mother has worn for such a long time?
This is exactly how I felt too. I had to look back at the photo to identify the necklace as it was camouflaged by the deep green lace. The photo seems 'souless' to me - there has been far better official photos of the Their Majesties imho.

I wasn't sure because in Norway they wear more than one as well(if the royal lady in question as more than one obviously)
The only one who wears more then one in Norway is Princess Astrid. Queen Sonja and Princess Martha Louise both stopped to wear the one of King Olav

I am loving the new Portrait and especially the gorgeous Emerald Parure made in 1840 by Weisshaupt in the neolouisseize style. Given to Queen Sophie Magdalene for her silver wedding anniversary in 1840.
It is a pity that Queen Mary's lace gown tends to swallow up the design of the necklace. But all in all I am loving it.

"Deep down in the basement of Rosenborg Castle, visitors can daily experience a number of the historical objects and crown jewels that Their Majesties the King and Queen wear in the just published official gala portrait 👑
For several hundred years, Rosenborg Castle has functioned as the kingdom's treasury, containing, among other things, the royal regalia and crown jewels. It is customary for the crown jewels to remain in Denmark, which means that they are not taken with them when visiting abroad. The Danish crown jewels are the only ones in the world that are both exhibited as museum objects and at the same time worn by the country's queen.
The history of the crown jewels goes back to Christian VI's queen, Queen Sophie Magdalene, who in her will from 1746 decided that her jewelery should not pass to one specific person, but always be available to the country's sitting queen on the grounds that "there in this royal house there are so few jewels and no crown jewels at all”. Most of Queen Sophie Magdalene's original jewelery has been remade by subsequent queens as jewelery fashions have changed. Today, the four crown jewel sets have the design that Christian VIII's queen, Queen Caroline Amalie, gave them in 1840."

now, I am not saying he should have, but Frederik would have rocked even more posing with the crown ;)

Last edited:
I think it looks artificial and I would not be surprised if it was photoshopped in this sense. But if so, who cares. Its a different case than the other portrait.

It definitely looks odd that picture. The arms side by side don't look natural, I think it is a merging of two individual photos. Mary also looks like a robot in it.

I think it looks artificial and I would not be surprised if it was photoshopped in this sense. But if so, who cares. Its a different case than the other portrait.
I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if it was photoshopped, but like you said who cares, however King Fredrick looks in focus and Queen Mary looks very soft focus so to me it is odd whether photo shopped or not

What I dont like about this picture is that Marys hand is in front of Frederiks hand (photoshopped or not), gives the impression of her standing in front what should not be the case. Either equal as the danish kingship seems pretty much one of equality, or FX taking center stage.

Now that it's been brought to my attention -- when you look at the photograph it seems as if these are two distinct photos which have been superimposed on a background.

One of two things is true:

1. The rumors about their marriage are true, and they can barely stand each other's presence long enough to take a formal photograph together, necessitating two separate pictures being Photoshopped together.

or

2. The Daily Mail is full of crap. I'm looking at a high-resolution copy of the picture right now. The background is blurry because it's not the focus of the shot, they are. Their shoulders are touching, and yes, Mary's left arm is slightly in front of Frederik's, but so what? If they were Photoshopped in, the background behind them, between the gaps in their arms, would be out of sync with the background above their heads, and it isn't.

I agree, I wouldn't be surprised if it was photoshopped, but like you said who cares, however King Fredrick looks in focus and Queen Mary looks very soft focus so to me it is odd whether photo shopped or not

They're both in focus. What you're seeing is Mary wearing makeup. A blurring primer, a good natural-finish foundation, and a blurring setting powder do wonders. Also, she's probably had a little discreet work done here and there to give her a more youthful complexion. Frederik's face looks like the face of a 55-year-old man. A 55-year-old man who takes care of himself, but still.

Of course coming from the Dailymail (fans suggesting LOL). Funny how nothing in the Danish press has come out or from professional photographers. And yes, they would jump all over this. Ekstra bladet for one, has not been shy in their criticism of the DRF or of publishing semi-embarrassing photos (Christian at the concert just recently).

I think we need to separate the Dailymail from credible and serious sources.

1. The rumors about their marriage are true, and they can barely stand each other's presence long enough to take a formal photograph together, necessitating two separate pictures being Photoshopped together.

or

2. The Daily Mail is full of crap. I'm looking at a high-resolution copy of the picture right now. The background is blurry because it's not the focus of the shot, they are. Their shoulders are touching, and yes, Mary's left arm is slightly in front of Frederik's, but so what? If they were Photoshopped in, the background behind them, between the gaps in their arms, would be out of sync with the background above their heads, and it isn't.
#1 can't be true because today they are photographed side-by-side at Benedikte's birthday luncheon :)

Of course coming from the Dailymail (fans suggesting LOL). Funny how nothing in the Danish press has come out or from professional photographers. And yes, they would jump all over this. Ekstra bladet for one, has not been shy in their criticism of the DRF or of publishing semi-embarrassing photos (Christian at the concert just recently).

I think we need to separate the Dailymail from credible and serious sources.
Kind of ironic - the Daily Mail speaking on this subject. I guess now they think that any royal photos are photoshopped or doctored up? Interesting projection imo. - And totally agree that the Danish press would be all over it - the Danish press does not coddle their royals or act as their PR either. So, you bet they would call it out.

and BTW: the issue of how King Frederik and Queen Mary are standing in the photo with her hand I guess slightly covering his being some issues - Let's, for example sake, take into consideration these formal official gala photos of two other royal couples -
Norway
Sweden

or

Also, if you look closely, Mary's shoulder is touching the fringe on Frederik's uniform. Also, these are formal official gala portraits that will hang in embassies, Danish vessels, etc. - I would assume that the photos were obviously slightly clean-up. Thank you for pointing out the blurry background as the focus of the photo is the royal couple in the center. Not like royal photos have not had backgrounds blurred before (some photos taken by some royals themselves have had this effect and those are easy to find). But interesting that a UK tabloid (Not know for it's accuracy in anything) is actually calling out a photo as being photoshopped...the irony is almost comical). Like I said, these are formal official photos of the new royal couple taken by a professional photographer - it is not like the DRF is doctoring vacation photos and posting them.

I love it! I know it's not proper or necessarily the right tone for an official portrait...but that kind of should be the official portrait. LOL

Very beautiful and full of warmth photo.
I loved the subtle way they shut the mouths of FM and the haters.

This is a lovely photo! Full of warmth.
And it makes total sense that a less formal photo is used for the social media. Relaxed but still professional enough for the official social media pages.
They have set a great tone with both photos.
Frederik, that smile and in uniform, perfection.

I'll put this snippet here as it talks about the change of throne.

"In a new interview, King Frederik and Queen Mary talk about the change of throne and the time after.
- It was very overwhelming and moving for me. I felt extremely well received, says King Frederik in the exclusive interview with TV 2 and adds:
- Perhaps the highlight was when Mary and the children came out and stood right behind me (...), and I had the Danes standing in front of me and waving and waving. It was one of the most amazing things to experience in my life, he says.
- I really want to say a heartfelt thank you to the Danes for showing me the trust and welcome, he says."
Mary
"- I stood with the children and you stood right in front of the doors, and when you stepped out onto the balcony towards your fate and at the same time were greeted with warmth and cheers. It was a moment that moved me incredibly much, she says, adding:
- We could hear and feel it, even if we couldn't see it. It was a beautiful moment. I was both very happy and very proud, she says."

This is a lovely photo! Full of warmth.
And it makes total sense that a less formal photo is used for the social media. Relaxed but still professional enough for the official social media pages.
They have set a great tone with both photos.
Frederik, that smile and in uniform, perfection.
It is a gorgeous photo!! Love it. Exudes such warmth from them both. And I agree that while the official portrait is perfect for what it is intended for, this new photo sets such a great vibe for the social media platforms of the DRF. IMO it strikes the perfect balance between traditions they will uphold but also their more modern and relaxed style....if that makes sense.

I'll put this snippet here as it talks about the change of throne.

"In a new interview, King Frederik and Queen Mary talk about the change of throne and the time after.
- It was very overwhelming and moving for me. I felt extremely well received, says King Frederik in the exclusive interview with TV 2 and adds:
- Perhaps the highlight was when Mary and the children came out and stood right behind me (...), and I had the Danes standing in front of me and waving and waving. It was one of the most amazing things to experience in my life, he says.
- I really want to say a heartfelt thank you to the Danes for showing me the trust and welcome, he says."
Mary
"- I stood with the children and you stood right in front of the doors, and when you stepped out onto the balcony towards your fate and at the same time were greeted with warmth and cheers. It was a moment that moved me incredibly much, she says, adding:
- We could hear and feel it, even if we couldn't see it. It was a beautiful moment. I was both very happy and very proud, she says."

Beautiful words from both! Humble and genuine and appreciative of the welcome they received. He overwhelmed. She proud.

I hope we get more snippets translated. Nice surprise to see they did their first interview today!

Back
Top Bottom