A Boy for Guillaume and Stéphanie - Charles: May 10, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some original pictures indeed. We have been spoiled with many photos of his grandparents but I hope we will get to see a better photo of the baby soon.

Last edited:
What lovely news of a boy born safely in Luxembourg.
Prince Charles sounds very handsome and he looks the picture of good health.
He's cute; it is generous of the parents to share a photo. Congratulations!!

I watched it even though I didn't understand much. ;) Here's an outline.

- HGD Guillaume in London (RTL program from June)

oh, would love to see this documentary from june on their time in london! any links to view it fromback then?

When are Royal babies christened in Luxembourg?

It does seem to vary from country-to-country? I was trying to find some footage on YouTube of past LUX christenings? The Swedish Royals do televised christenings; unlike the UK, where it is kept private.

Last edited:
indeed, Charel means Charles.

The Luxembourg television reports it was a c-section.

It does seem to vary from country-to-country? I was trying to find some footage on YouTube of past LUX christenings? The Swedish Royals do televised christenings; unlike the UK, where it is kept private.

Giullaume's brother's children's baptism were sold to intrnational magazines,
but I do doubt the heir would do this. Due to Covid they will probably do a small event ans publish photographs by themselves. they will not wait a long time due to their roman catholic heritage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Usaully th chruistening es very soon about 1 month after the birth. But for example the son of Prince Felix and Princess Claire was already 6 months old.
and the christenings are usually smaller ceremonies with only Family present.

Is the christening likely to be LIVE TV Broadcast; like the wedding?

The Luxembourg television reports it was a c-section.

I read the same information....she was admitted to Grand Duchess Maternity on Saturday and after a full day and night the princess's labor had not progressed.

So she was taken to surgery very early in the morning.(Sunday May 10th)

Poor Stephanie! For all her relief and happiness she must feel as if she was hit by a truck!:ohmy: Here in the U.S. a new mother stays in hospital for 72 hours after a Caesarean delivery but I don't know if it's the same in the Grand Duchy.

ETA: HGD Guillaume was born on Nov 11 1981 and was baptized on Dec 2 1981.

Last edited:
Is the christening likely to be LIVE TV Broadcast; like the wedding?

I'd say very unlikely. Im sure they dotn want TV cameras around... when they can take a few pics and share them...

The name Charles has such historical ties to the House of Luxembourg

Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor was also Count of Luxembourg
Charles the Bold was Duke of Luxembourg
Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor was Duke of Luxembourg.

I was set on the name Jean-Philippe but I am thrilled with the baby's name of Charles. The only thing I might have done different is to drop "Joseph" because six names seems a bit much.

But I guess it's a throwback to former times when Royal and aristocratic children were given very long names.

I just hope that his family sticks with "Charles" in private, and does not call him Charlie!:ermm:

Last edited:
I was set on the name Jean-Philippe but I am thrilled with the baby's name of Charles. The only thing I might have done different is to drop "Joseph" because six names seems a bit much.

But I guess it's a throwback to former times when Royal and aristocratic children were given very long names.

I just hope that his family sticks with "Charles" in private, and does not come him Charlie!:ermm:
Maybe they use the Luxembourgish version of his name: Charel.

The name Charles has such historical ties to the House of Luxembourg

Charles IV, Holy Roman Emperor was also Count of Luxembourg
Charles the Bold was Duke of Luxembourg
Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor was Duke of Luxembourg.

Indeed! Charles II, King of Spain and Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor were reigning Dukes of Luxembourg as well.

I wonder how many of those previous Counts and Dukes of Luxembourg the future Grand Duke Charles is descended from.

Indeed! Charles II, King of Spain and Charles VI, Holy Roman Emperor were reigning Dukes of Luxembourg as well.

I wonder how many of those previous Counts and Dukes of Luxembourg the future Grand Duke Charles is descended from.
The baby prince descends from all but Charles II of Spain who had no children.

Because of the Covid-19 scare I think it would be wrong for the Luxembourg people to go to see Princess Stéphanie and the newborn leaving hospital.
As Princess Stéphanie had a C-section, I hope they don't have a big family; there's not much work for the junior royals these days and a woman is only allowed so many C-sections; I don't know how many, it may be three.
The Christening photographs will be nice; I presume they will not over dress like the Swedish royalty.

Traditionally the GD Family is very generous with releasing christening photos and providing details. I am hopeful it will be the same with little Charles especially given his dynastic importance. I really hope they will also show him on the balcony after he is baptized

But given what sounds like a grueling labour for Stephanie followed by a Caesarean delivery...on top of the pandemic situation in Luxembourg I don't know when we will see she and the baby again.

As for whether or not Charles will be an only child, i don't see why he should be. Grand Duchess MT went on to have 4 more children after the C-section delivery of Guillaume, and Queen Mathilde gave birth three times after she had a Caesarean with Princess Elisabeth.

Last edited:

I just hope that his family sticks with "Charles" in private, and does not call him Charlie!:ermm:

That's a very" english speakkng" thinking, would be very unusual in Luxembourg, I think he will be called Charel as it will be his first mother tongue.

:previous: Hmm.. I am thinking he will learn French and Luxembourgish simultaneously. But since the family as a whole speaks French privately (not all of them are truly comfortable in Luxembourgish) they will address Charles using the French form.

We will likely never know, as we're talking a private name spoken at home. Its pretty common when you have what we used to call 'old man name', to have a call/nickname growing up. You pick a name that sounds good as an adult, but call the child something less stuffy as a child.

If French is what they speak at home, its pretty likely it would be the French nickname used.

I look forward to seeing some more photos when the couple are home with the baby. You really don't see much of a baby when they leave the hospital any ways. So I am just as happy to have a proper photo of him from his own home. And of course the christening photos down the line.

As for C-sections, but 3-4 C-sections tends to be fine for women (depends though on the woman and how much scar tissue they have). I think the only limiting factors on siblings for Charles will be age and fertility issues. I don't think Stephanie Guillaume chose to wait 7 years to have a baby.

Some women struggle with fertility on the first birth and then have the second child quite easily. Some its always a struggle to get pregnant.

And its not about 'a lot of work for junior royals'. Its about having a family. They spoke about wanting a bigger family when they married, and they both come from them. If they have 4 kids, and only 2 are needed for the extra work, well then the other 2 will make their way in the world like Guillaume's siblings have as well. Not all about the heirs and royal work.

I'm hoping to see a similar way like Victoria and Daniel did with Estelle. They didn't pose in the hospital (just a pic when they left). And after a few days, they released Estelle pictures (was it 3?). And after a month (if I recall correctly), they released a photosession of baby Estelle with mommy and daddy. So, I'm hoping they go the same route. They obviously know that the people want to see the baby, so some official pictures won't hurt.

As for C-sections, but 3-4 C-sections tends to be fine for women (depends though on the woman and how much scar tissue they have). I think the only limiting factors on siblings for Charles will be age and fertility issues. I don't think Stephanie Guillaume chose to wait 7 years to have a baby.

Some women struggle with fertility on the first birth and then have the second child quite easily. Some its always a struggle to get pregnant.
I do agree. My aunt struggled to get pregnant for 6 years. When my cousin was born, and she got pregnant for the second time quite easily. It really amazed her, since she waited so many years for a baby, only to get the second baby right after having the first baby.

I also know such a case; second son was born two years after long awaited firstborn one.
In addition, the first was conceived via IVF, the second - naturally.

I can't wait to see another photo of him. He is so cute with those chubby cheeks and that button nose!?

Such lovely news; I wonder if the Prince of Wales has been in touch - one Charles to another Charles!

Hope to see more of baby; when he is back at home in the next few weeks.

:previous: The British Ambassador to Luxembourg conveyed his congratulations, perhaps on behalf of the British Royal family as well as the Government. The Australian government sent a telegram as well.

Mathilde and Philippe sent a message too. My guess is that all the Royals that Guillaume and Stephanie are close to have been in contact privately to offer congratulations.

Last edited:
I'm just so happy for them! I have no doubt it was not their first choice to wait this log to have this baby, which makes me especially thrilled! I've always liked this couple and wish the best for them and their family.

Back
Top Bottom