Which Country Could Become A Monarchy?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, sure, the Fidesz of Prime Minister Orbán has all power but suddenly they want to install an Austrian family as hereditary heads of state? I would say: dream on, folks. We will sooner see monarchies ending than new monarchies emerging.

Unless a 'puppet royal family' would be helpful to further the causes of those in power...

I would like to see the restoration of some monarchies.
I would like to see Nepal restore its monarchy. Especially because it was the last monarchy to be abolished. And I would like to see Prince Paras Shah, and then his son, Prince Hridayendra, as kings.

I would also like to see some old European monarchy being restored. But unfortunately, it is very unlikely. :whistling:

I’ve always said Romania is the only country with a whisker of a chance of its monarchy being restored someday, but nowhere else.

Georgia?

There is a considerable political difference between the current President there and the government in regards to Russia. The population there is also somewhat divided over this issue. So a political neutral head of state as well as a cultural focal point and anchor might be what is needed. The Georgians have a considerable pride in their very long and troubled history and culture.

Nepal riot police rout protesters seeking restoration of monarchy

Is there really any possibility of Nepal becoming monarchy again? Is it genuine or just some kind of anti-government protest? IIRC, there was pro-monarchy rally some months ago.

I don't know if there is any chance of the monarchy being restored in Nepal. But I like to believe so.
I think that from time to time demonstrations are held calling for the restoration of the monarchy. But I don't know if there is any monarchist movement in Nepal, or if any political party supports the monarchy.

What about Georgia? Is there any chance of the monarchy being restored?

Is there a chance that one day the monarchy could be restored with Prince Giorgi Bagrationi proclaimed as King of Georgia?

None. I feel like most monarchies are trying to figure out how to stay alive. None will ever be restored.

I want to predict two royal events:
Romania's government will finally rule in favor to restore the monarchy under Princess Margareta. Bonus prediction: she and her husband will adopt her nephew as heir and restore his title as crown prince

Libya will restore the monarchy
I saw this ^^^ yesterday in the 2024 predictions thread. Royal Predictions for 2024

Romania seems like it is already incorporating Margareta into official life, so that's a possibility.

I had never given much thought to Libya restoring its short-lived monarchy, but the government appears to be in talks with the Crown Prince (the great-nephew of the last king, Idris) about the future of the country.

What about Georgia? Is there any chance of the monarchy being restored?

Is there a chance that one day the monarchy could be restored with Prince Giorgi Bagrationi proclaimed as King of Georgia?

IMO very unlikely. Georgian monarchy had been gone already more than 200 years and even the hhouse has divided at least to two branches which both are claimants. Yes, there is some popular support but political machine seems being pretty apathic or even unwillingful to do anything with that.

Frankly, I can't see any former monarchy being restored. Hardly even most recent abolished Nepal.

I think the time for restoration would have been in the 1990s, after the collapse of communism, and in Serbia's case after the end of the Balkan wars. If it didn't happen then, I can't see it happening now.

What about Australia and Canada becoming a monarchy with an own monarch instead of Charles III?

What about Australia and Canada becoming a monarchy with an own monarch instead of Charles III?
As far as Australia is concerned that would never happen in a million years. The issue of keeping King Charles as Head of State in the future is a divisive one here, let alone all the vast trouble and expense of assembling our own monarchy instead of simply becoming a republic. Australia will become a republic within the next decade I believe.

Last edited:
As far as Australia is concerned that would never happen in a million years. The issue of keeping King Charles as Head of State in the future is a divisive one here, let alone all the vast trouble and expense of assembling our own monarchy instead of simply becoming a republic. Australia will become a republic within the next decade I believe.
I am curious, what made you fall into the conclusion that Australia maybe a republic? I've seen the
Australian Monarchist League pretty active, especially online. I will admit that I have mostly only been exposed to Pro-British Royal family content and not the more Pro-Republic crowd.

If Hungary becomes a monarchy, would it be better if a Hungarian nobleman (aristocrat) became the sovereign?

Countries that aren't already monarchies won't suddenly decide to become one. I just can't see that happening. I'm including countries that were monarchies but then became republics. I suppose Spain was an exception to that, in that they were a monarchy that became a republic, then became a monarchy again, but after decades of fascism, a king looks mighty good.

Libya is becoming a distinct possibility. It seems last month a majority of the members of the High Council of State wrote to the UN declaring their support for a constitutional monarchy under a reinstated 1951 constitution.

Isn't Libya ruled by various gangs and is plagued with unrest and violence?

Isn't Libya ruled by various gangs and is plagued with unrest and violence?
Indeed it is. But it’s interesting that a majority (75 out of 145 members) of the joint parliament (high council of state) signed the declaration to the UN regarding support for a constitutional monarchy as something that the regional leaders with all their enormous differences could accept as a solution based on the 1951 constitution… And the regional leaders seems to hold meeting regularly with Crown Prince Mohammed El Senussi.

Ofcourse the step from discussing the possibility of a constitutional monarchy as an attempt to get some form of a stable national constitution in Libya again - to actually become a monarchy is not a small step. But it’s a development that at least i haven’t seen in any other country that is a former monarchy…

It will be interesting to see if anything comes out of it

I am curious, what made you fall into the conclusion that Australia maybe a republic? I've seen the
Australian Monarchist League pretty active, especially online. I will admit that I have mostly only been exposed to Pro-British Royal family content and not the more Pro-Republic crowd.
Below is the wiki account of republicanism in Australia which goes right back to the mid 19th century.

If you scroll down to the end you’ll see some polls on the issue. As I said in my previous post I believe Australia will become a republic in the next decade or so and it’s inevitable.

As has happened in Britain younger generations of Australians are not royalist and middle aged generations are not inclined that way either. Indifference towards the monarchy and the BRF is imo the overweening emotion to royal tours, and Charles’s Coronation was greeted largely by exactly that here. There weren’t official celebrations in our States in honour of the occasion either.

Last edited:
Below is the wiki account of republicanism in Australia which goes right back to the mid 19th century.

If you scroll down to the end you’ll see some polls on the issue. As I said in my previous post I believe Australia will become a republic in the next decade or so and it’s inevitable.

As has happened in Britain younger generations of Australians are not royalist and middle aged generations are not inclined that way either. Indifference towards the monarchy and the BRF is imo the overweening emotion to royal tours, and Charles’s Coronation was greeted largely by exactly that here. There weren’t official celebrations in our States in honour of the occasion either.
Agreed. There was and is a lot of respect for the late Queen Elizabeth II and successful tours of Charles and Diana, William and Kate postponed the inevitable I believe.

As much as my royalistic heart and soul will absolutely hate to see Australia, New Zealand and Canada leave the United Kingdom, i fear we are heading in that direction and that Australia will be the first one…

There is nothing really Charles or William can do about that i’m afraid as more and more people will likely openly question the whole thing with having their head of state living abroad on a different continent…

Though the idea of Scotland becoming a republic anytime soon was likely squashed at the last election when the SNP was almost eroded… An independence (wich would ofcourse result in a republic, there is no serious way around that) seemed to be more a dream of the SNP politicians rather than a dream for most scottish people…

The only former monarchy that today seems to have a chance of becoming a monarchy again is Libya…

I hope Romania will one day become a monarchy again but i cannot see how that would happen at the moment, with the presumed Crown Prince being virtually exiled from his family… The only possible future with a romanian monarchy lies with Nicolae but as long as he and his aunt Margarita who is the undisputed head of his family cannot solve their issues, there is no chance anyone would even consider a restoration…

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom