What is your opinion of Frederik and Mary

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes, that is what I mean

Margrethe II said:
I am sure there was more to that than what was shown... Mary & Laurentien have met before and were photographed smiling, laughing and engaging in conversation.

What do you mean by "real princesses". Are you referring to a princesses of the Blood?

"MII"

susan alicia said:
taped the baptism and saw at the reception Laurentien talking to Mary, Mary looked at her, listened, did not say anything nor smile and just walked away, joined some other people and smiled and chatted.

She is very aware of her own importance and perhaps less simple and modest than "real" princesses.

Was this shown on the ZDF broadcast or did you tape from a different channel? It seems very impolite indeed! I have the same feeling (the aloofness) with Mary at times. She can look absolutely lovely, charming, open and friendly, but sometimes her face seems to be made of stone and she gets an expression as if she is overpleased with herself (noticed the stone-face even at times during the baptism, especially when she left the church), which can also be caused by shyness though.

yes it was the zdf broadcast, just before she and fredrik left the reception.
It was also in a situation she might not have been aware of the camera.

Of course a great deal of her charm depends on her being happy with herself.

Marengo said:
Was this shown on the ZDF broadcast or did you tape from a different channel? It seems very impolite indeed! I have the same feeling (the aloofness) with Mary at times. She can look absolutely lovely, charming, open and friendly, but sometimes her face seems to be made of stone and she gets an expression as if she is overpleased with herself (noticed the stone-face even at times during the baptism, especially when she left the church), which can also be caused by shyness though.

Yes, I also saw this on tv too and thought it was very haughty, but then I saw that shortly after Mary was called for the official photographs. I think she was waiting to be called and so was rather distracted...although on the otherhand I saw images of Fred in great conversations with people. I also noticed a change in Mary when she got up to leave the church. Her whole body language changed and she did appear more aloof. Maybe she´s just still not completely relaxed in front of the press or she is too self-conscious.

susan alicia said:
taped the baptism and saw at the reception Laurentien talking to Mary, Mary looked at her, listened, did not say anything nor smile and just walked away, joined some other people and smiled and chatted.

She is very aware of her own importance and perhaps less simple and modest than "real" princesses.
IMO That’s not true. I just checked and Mary did talk and smile to Laurentien. What we were allowed to see on TV was just a quick round so Mary and Frederik could show the baby to the guests. Then they walked out with the baby so he could get some rest and then Frederik and Mary came back in and took part in the reception. A Politician who attended the reception, was interviewed afterwards and he said the Frederik and Mary walked around and greeted and talked to the guest for the about two hours the reception went on.

eireann said:
Maybe she´s just still not completely relaxed in front of the press or she is too self-conscious.

I agree with this. I think that when she is being self-conscious, she tends to look quite snobbish. When she is relaxed, she seems much more charming.

"Maybe she´s just still not completely relaxed in front of the press or she is too self-conscious."
She's had well over 4 years to adjust, so I don't think that is much of an excuse.

Little_star said:
"Maybe she´s just still not completely relaxed in front of the press or she is too self-conscious."
She's had well over 4 years to adjust, so I don't think that is much of an excuse.
Nobody needs an excuse if they do not feel overly relaxed in front of cameras/the press.
It took QMII several years to stop fidgeting a bit in front of cameras and when she's interviewed you can still discern that being in the spotlight in this way is not her favorite thing.
Everybody acts differently in front of cameras; if Mary gets at bit stiff so what?

Don't you think that it's a little disconcerting when a public figure like Crown
Princess Mary doesn't look quite comfortable with the situation, I expect
she'll learn, but it seems to be taking time, it would be good for her if she
could perfect this area of her life.

wiwaxia said:
Don't you think that it's a little disconcerting when a public figure like Crown
Princess Mary doesn't look quite comfortable with the situation, I expect
she'll learn, but it seems to be taking time, it would be good for her if she
could perfect this area of her life.

This is what happens when we expect the crown princes to marry for love. We can't have it all, folks. Simply because a prince falls in love with a girl doesn't automatically mean that the girl will be a natural in front of the camera.

When princes married princesses, they knew how the women would behave but now the girls come from such varied backgrounds that there's no guarantee how the girls will adjust to royal life or how long it will take. That's the chance the crown princes take when they marry for love.

Overall, I think Mary would be very unnatural if she never was uncomfortable in front of a camera. If she never was uncomfortable, she would really be an attention-loving, self-centered hog and its impossible to be that attention-loving if she still has times of being uncomfortable in front of the camera.

Mette-Marit also still looks uncomfortable at some public events and she's been married longer than Mary. Its not a criticism against either women, that's simple the way they are. Overall I think the times they are uncomfortable are far outnumbered by the times they are comfortable in their roles so it doesn't impact overall their performance as princesses.

I still freeze when a camera comes close, even among friends or family, and I´ve had a lot more than 4 years to adjust. As for a video camera, I run away. Can´t imagine what I would be like knowing that every move I made was being seen not just by relatives but being scrutinised by the whole world.

Marengo said:

Marengo, I think this is a good way to put it. I agree with you.

Mary went to a Pub in Australia during the Olympics with the intention in mind to meet Prince Felipe of Spain (if I remember correctly); I don't think that shyness is her problem. She snagged Prince Frederick instead, still a damn good catch. She plays to the camera quite well. She is/will be a problem unless she is put in her place. Just my opinion.

Lady Jennifer said:
Nope. Neither was Frederik & Mary's. They might have shown clips on TV but thats about it (at least that I know of). They never show royal weddings here....or funeral's....except for Diana's.
Felipe and Letizia's wedding was shown on several American tv channels. I caught it on two different ones -- one Spanish-speaking and the other was one of the CNN channels. Frederik and Mary got a 5-minute mention on one of the Sunday news shows, like 60 minutes or something.

michelleq said:
Mary went to a Pub in Australia during the Olympics with the intention in mind to meet Prince Felipe of Spain (if I remember correctly); I don't think that shyness is her problem. She snagged Prince Frederick instead, still a damn good catch. She plays to the camera quite well. She is/will be a problem unless she is put in her place. Just my opinion.

Oh, come on, there's a difference between going into a pub, even if you suspect that Felipe or whoever might be present, and facing a whole crowd of reporters and assorted European royals at the baptism of your baby.

michelleq said:

Mary is in her place, Denmark with her adoring husband and adorable child.:)

michelleq said:

Even if this were true (and if it is, so what? I'm sorry, but if my friends told me that Princes were going to be at one of my favorite watering holes, I have no shame in admitting here that I would be there in a flash), the dream of royal life and the reality is much different. Mary got to know her prince when the palace was really just a dream- Even when the paparazzi was following her, I believe that this was just a taster for what was to come. She is no longer 'the girlfriend' or a princess in waiting- the waiting is now over, and this is it. This is her life- and it is worlds away from anything she has ever known. If she is nervous, I think she has every right to be.

For me, Crown Princess Mary is the most interesting- because she is the most ordinary. She is not a single mother, her father wasn't a minister in a dictatorial regime, she does not have a title, she is not extremely beautiful, nor was she an accomplished career woman- She is about as ordinary as you can get. She could have been any one of us, or any one of our friends. I think that is a good reason why people are so polarised about her.

Last edited:
Warren said:
No. Paddington is a mixed suburb in terms of real estate values. Although at the higher end of the scale it is not "upper echelon". It's not the slum area it once was, nor is it all millionaire's row. The land is valuable, many of the houses and terraces less so. Like most of inner Sydney, it is fairly diverse. The junkies are an extra delight.

Have to disagree with you here Warren - Paddington is very upmarket in terms of who lives there. It is often the place where people with country places have their city terrace. So many of the Paddington dwellers are much wealthier than people in say Woollahra or Vaucluse or Bellevue Hill. I know because as a Kiwi I have had a long sojourn in Sydney and have lived in all of those suburbs and mor!
Aotearoagal

Aotearoagal said:
Have to disagree with you here Warren - Paddington is very upmarket in terms of who lives there. It is often the place where people with country places have their city terrace. So many of the Paddington dwellers are much wealthier than people in say Woollahra or Vaucluse or Bellevue Hill. I know because as a Kiwi I have had a long sojourn in Sydney and have lived in all of those suburbs and mor!
Aotearoagal

Quite the nomad Aotearoagal...;) :D

"MII"

i've heard some say she is the new princess di but there is are differences between her and princess di. di had a shyness about her but mary doesnt have that. also, princess di was a nature beauty and mary isnt she is pretty but diana was beautiful plus princess di seem always sincere and mary dosent come across as sincere. imo

I have nothing against Princess Diana, she was beautiful and did a lot for the world but she was not flawless; neither is Mary. If you look at pictures of Princess Di before her marriage, I don't think anybody would stop in their tracks and say, "She's so beautiful," it's the things that she did and wore that made her beautiful and she evolved. Now back on Mary, she's evolving too. She just gave birth to a future heir and is starting to get comfortable in her role. Yes, maybe all those interviews and magazines were a mistake but she hasn't done one recently. Maybe she realized it was a mistake, everybody makes them and learns from them, Mary just has to do it in public. Look wise, I think she's pretty and dresses well, she knows what suits her and sticks to it. Mary's not perfect, but she's a Danish princess who's doing a great job.

Mandy said:
Mary is in her place, Denmark with her adoring husband and adorable child.:)

WOW........Very beautifully said! Mandy..........totally agree! :)

Amen

soCal girl said:
Yes, maybe all those interviews and magazines were a mistake.

The interviews and photo shoots were a mistake to those who viewed them as such. This does not apply to everyone else. I certainly don't think them to be a mistake in any way, shape or form ;) :)

"MII"

Last edited:
I do not think the interviews were a mistake; they helped her future countrymen get to know her better. It might have been better spaced out but it achieved the purpose they wanted: to promote and win over people. There was a little negative lashback but what royal, public action doesn't?

Interviews themselves aren't necessarily mistakes. Interviews that allow her to be portrayed as fashion-obsessed are because she's still trying to emerge from that image as the fashion-obsessed cp. If the interviews had been given to the Danish equivalent of Time or Newsweek, I doubt anyone would have developed a bad opinion of her -- we expect public figures to talk to media outlets like those, but the fact that she was in Vogue is something her detractors will bring up for decades. She's going to have a hard time living that down.

Deep in Vogue?

kelly9480 said:
... but the fact that she was in Vogue is something her detractors will bring up for decades. She's going to have a hard time living that down.
But why does she have to "live down" appearing in Vogue? Her detractors may well bring it up for years to come, but if it wasn't Vogue, then it would just be something else. Negatively-inclined detractors will create whatever ammunition they can; the rest of us will shrug our shoulders, wonder what all the fuss is about, and move on.

Warren said:
But why does she have to "live down" appearing in Vogue? Her detractors may well bring it up for years to come, but if it wasn't Vogue, then it would just be something else. Negatively-inclined detractors will create whatever ammunition they can; the rest of us will shrug our shoulders, wonder what all the fuss is about, and move on.

total agree with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom