Victoria & Daniel's 1st Baby - Guess the Sex, Name and Godparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What do you think Victoria will have ....a boy or girl?

• Boy - Christian needs some help with all these girls!

Votes: 103 40.1%
  • Girl - Girls rule!

Votes: 67 26.1%
  • One of each would be nice!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • As long as the baby is healthy it doesn't matter!

Votes: 76 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe that the baby will be a girl. Daniella would be a pretty name for a girl. It sounds royal and it's not overused like some royal names are. The same goes for the name Daniel if the child is a boy.

Carl is an overused name. I like the name but it's overused. Carla would be a pretty name for a female.

David would be a nice name, very royal sounding name. Wonder why this name is never used (can't think of anyone in recent times who is royal and has the first name of David).

If an male heir to the throne or any male royal had an ex-girlfriend or ex-partner named Stephanie, it would be unwise to name any daughter he had Stephanie or any son he had Stephen, even if he or his partner liked the name.

The same would be true if a female heir to the throne or female royal had an ex-boyfriend named Chris. Christopher or Christina would be out as names.

Last edited by a moderator:
Slightly off topic, but are there any names that are considered bad luck to the SRF? ie. the name John is considered bad luck in the BRF.

I would guess the baby will be a boy and that Carl will be in the mix somewhere. And that it will be a hyphenated name situation like the King and her brother.

Let's see...This is harder than the last time I played this game for the Danish Royal Twins, as I'm not so sure about Swedish/Scandiavian names, but here goes...

For a Princess...

Alexandra Lilian Elizabeth

It's well known that Victoria is very close to Princess Lilian, so I truly do believe if the baby's a little Princess, that name will be there as one of the names given. As tribute to a very well loved family member.

For a little Prince...

Olaf Magnus David

And that's just a complete and total shot in the dark guess. :eek:)

With all these Emma-suggestions around here I'm getting more and more thoughtful. I don't think Emma would be a wise move (even though it is a nice name). The name could be misinterpreted even though Victoria and Daniel never intended to do so. Misinterpreted in the way that they still prefer Emma over Sofia when they just hypotetically gave their hypotetical daughter this name simply because they like it.

I know this sounds idiotic but we all know how the press (especially yellow press) works. And I'm sure Victoria and Daniel don't want to burden their firstborn with speculations like that. Or rather I wouldn't want that if I were in their shoes. So I really don't think Emma is in the picture. At least not as firstname. Maybe as middlename but also this seems unlikely for me. It simply wouldn't be a wise choice. And the same goes with Sofia for the same reasons.

Maybe they could use a variation, like Emmalia, or even Amalia. Those are very pretty too, and hopefully will have no connection to any ex-partners. I think it's sad that they cannot use a name that they like because of yellow press, but I can understand the desire to avoid giving those vultures any reasons to stir the pot.

I've seen name 'Desiree' mentioned a few times. It's very pretty, but every time I hear it, I think of the lead female character in 'A Little Night Music' (she was an actress and named Desiree). The character is not negative or anything, just amusing at times.

I am so excited for them! I wasn't even aware she is pregnant until about 10 minutes ago. Congrats. As for names, I don't know.

Well, they're probably not going to use up all the potential godparents at once. They'll probably 'save' some for children they have later.

Olle is the name of Daniels father!
Yes it is, but it's also considered as a pet name in Sweden. I don't like the idea of giving names that are pet names as a given name as then the child doesn't get any chance to whether s/he wants to have an "adult sounding" name when s/he grows up or continue being called a pet name.

If using a pet name they could as well chose: Fia (Sofia), Tina, Titti (Kristina), Bettan (Elisabet), Anki (Ann-Christin), Micke (Mikael), Lasse (Lars), Danne (Daniel) and so on; the names are ok as pet names and maybe cute for a small child, but I don't think they give a serious impression.

Slightly off topic, but are there any names that are considered bad luck to the SRF? ie. the name John is considered bad luck in the BRF.
I don't know if the name Erik is considered bad luck, but the last king with the name, Erik XIV, Eric XIV of Sweden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , was thought to be insane and was dethroned. The last time the name was used for a royal prince, it was the youngest son of Gustav V and Victoria, Prince Erik, Duke of Västmanland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia , he had epilepsy and was mentally retarded, his story is a bit similar to prince John of the United Kingdom.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all these Emma-suggestions around here I'm getting more and more thoughtful. I don't think Emma would be a wise move (even though it is a nice name). The name could be misinterpreted even though Victoria and Daniel never intended to do so. Misinterpreted in the way that they still prefer Emma over Sofia when they just hypotetically gave their hypotetical daughter this name simply because they like it.

I know this sounds idiotic but we all know how the press (especially yellow press) works. And I'm sure Victoria and Daniel don't want to burden their firstborn with speculations like that. Or rather I wouldn't want that if I were in their shoes. So I really don't think Emma is in the picture. At least not as firstname. Maybe as middlename but also this seems unlikely for me. It simply wouldn't be a wise choice. And the same goes with Sofia for the same reasons.
I don't think they will even consider Emma in first place, either as first name or as one of middle names and it has nothing to do with CP's ex-girlfriend. Since it will be the heir and Victoria is very fond of traditions, the name/s will IMO come from family tree (hers & Daniels), so I think names like Emma, Alexandra, Carla or even Danielle that were mentioned here are out.

I agree regarding Sophia/Sofia, too bad actually since the name itself is pretty nice and has history in SRF. Lately I've been thinking about Lovisa, after the Queen consort of Carl XV, Queen Lovisa has a nice ring to it.

Lately I've been thinking about Lovisa, after the Queen consort of Carl XV, Queen Lovisa has a nice ring to it.

I agree with you there. Lovisa looks nice when it's written. I've known this name for a while now but I'm still not sure how to pronounce it. Are there any Swedes around who could shed a little light on that? Please?

What the name the baby gets isnt that important as the person can change the name when its her or his turn to become monarch. First Bernadotte changed his name from Joseph to Carl Johan and Gustav Vs name was actually Oscar Gustaf Adolf at birt according to wikipedia

Maybe they could use a variation, like Emmalia, or even Amalia. Those are very pretty too, and hopefully will have no connection to any ex-partners. I think it's sad that they cannot use a name that they like because of yellow press, but I can understand the desire to avoid giving those vultures any reasons to stir the pot.

Now that you´ve mentioned it I really like names like Amalia,Amelie or Emily...they sound very sweet but not too girly :flowers: Emma seems a little bit out of fashion,though I am a big fan of Emma Watson:) I am just looking forward to anything that happens,no matter what he/she is going to be called!

Lovisa is an swedish equivalent of Louisa/Louise.
I guess it's pronounced more or less like 'Lo-VEE-ssah'.
(Dear swedes, please correct if not right.)

In finnish Loviisa is pronounced 'LO-vee-sah'.

The name Lillian would be a good choice.

Alexandra or Louisa/Lovisa sounds nice for a girl and call me stereotypical but I like Carl for a boy.
I have a feeling that it's gonna be a girl, but who knows. As long as the baby is healthy :)

Carl Alexander would be nice for a boy, especially if he has the Prince of Orange as a godfather.

nice combination Esmeralda!
i really like the name Alexander, if i was foreign i would use it for a future son of mine, but its not portuguese name, so to bad i cant use it!

Lately I've been thinking about Lovisa, after the Queen consort of Carl XV, Queen Lovisa has a nice ring to it.
There is an even closer connection to the name Louise, it was the name of the step-grandmother of king Carl Gustaf. Lady Louise Mountbatten, aunt of prince Philip, the DoE, she was married to king Gustaf VI Adolf and was Queen Louise of Sweden from 1950 until her death in 1965.

Last edited:
Lovisa is an swedish equivalent of Louisa/Louise.
I guess it's pronounced more or less like 'Lo-VEE-ssah'.
(Dear swedes, please correct if not right.)

In finnish Loviisa is pronounced 'LO-vee-sah'.

Thank you! :flowers:

First Bernadotte changed his name from Joseph to Carl Johan and Gustav Vs name was actually Oscar Gustaf Adolf at birt according to wikipedia
Actually the full name of the first Bernadotte king was Jean Baptiste Jules (Johannes Döparen Julius) and not Joseph, so he didn't really change his name, the name Karl was added after his adoptive father Karl XIII and the name Jean was Swedenized to Johan.

As for the names of Gustaf V, even if he was baptised to Oscar Gustaf Adolf, he was never called Oscar, as his one year younger brother was given the names Oscar Carl August and the third son was named Oscar Carl Wilhelm. The three oldest sons of Oscar II all got the name Oscar as their first name (the fourth son was named Eugen Napoleon Nikolaus).It's not necessary that the first name is the name that a person is called.

Last time a Swedish king had a name not used by former Swedish kings, was when Oscar I become king 1844. And he wasn't born to be king, when he was born it was as the son to the French min ister of War. Last time a Swedish King born to the throne was given a name not used by any not used by any former Swedish kings was.. never it haven't happened.
Since Gustav I (aka Gustav Vasa) made the Swedish crown inherited all new names for KIngs have come from kings chosen\elected or indirect so (as Oscar I) not one boy born as a Swedish Prince that have become king have had any new name (except new ones after the number in Gustav or Carl\Karl).
Bernadotte have so far been partiall to Carl or Gustav so I would say that Carl Anything or Gustav is almost given if it is a boy.

On the otehr hand, there are not any Queen regent in the Swedish history (even if including Victoria) that haven't had an unike name, iow Queen regent nevwe needs a numbner since the all are the firts (and only) with that name. Magareta, Kristina, Ulrika Elenora, Victoria.
So all female name with any royal history except those four would be possible if it is a girl, that leaves very many names.

Last time a Swedish king had a name not used by former Swedish kings, was when Oscar I become king 1844. And he wasn't born to be king, when he was born it was as the son to the French min ister of War. Last time a Swedish King born to the throne was given a name not used by any not used by any former Swedish kings was.. never it haven't happened.
Since Gustav I (aka Gustav Vasa) made the Swedish crown inherited all new names for KIngs have come from kings chosen\elected or indirect so (as Oscar I) not one boy born as a Swedish Prince that have become king have had any new name (except new ones after the number in Gustav or Carl\Karl).
You hav forgotten Sigismund, Sigismund III Vasa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia He may not have been born to the throne, but his son Władysław, W was born while his father was king of Sweden.

You hav forgotten Sigismund, Sigismund III Vasa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia He may not have been born to the throne, but his son Władysław, W was born while his father was king of Sweden.
Yes, I forgott them. The princip still holds except it is not a not the name used by former Swedish kings (as I assumed) it is the name used by kings in the prince Major Kingdom. (Sigismund being the only Swedish king born as swedish Prince and Prince to another more important Kingdom)

Please note that this refers to Men born as Princes of Sweden in line of sucession that became kings of Sweden, so it do include Sigimsund but noy Wladyslaw.

If we talk about female equivalent of the name Carl - rather Carolin than Carla (association with Carla Bruni :whistling:)
I agree, Carolina/e would be way better then Carla. I'm just not sure if they'd have the guts to use that one, would be pretty though.

I hope they will have a girl, and that one of the names will be Sibylla...after King Carl Gustav`s mum:)

Victoria Louisa Margaret Sibylla Silvia

Paying tribute to the maternal line of the Swedish royal family

1. HM Queen Victoria (UK)
2. HRH Princess Louisa of Prussia, Duchess of Connaught
3. HRH Princess Margaret of Connaught, Crown Princess of Sweden
4. HRH Princess Sibylla of Sax Coburg & Gotha, Princess of Sweden
5. HM Queen Silvia, Queen Consort of Sweden

Gustav Carl Arthur Albert Edward

From the male ancestors of HRH

1. HM King Gustav Adolf
2. HM King Carl-Gustav
3. HRH Prince Arthur, Duke of Connaught
4. HRH Prince Albert of Sax Coburg, Prince Consort UK
5. HRH Prince Edward, Duke of Kent (Father of Queen Victoria{UK})

Last edited:
boy; carl frederik olof gustav
girl margareta silvia sofia josefina

for a girl:
Caroline Margarethe Eleonore Desire

for a boy:
Gabriel Gustav Alexander Carl

Victoria Louisa Margaret Sibylla Silvia

Paying tribute to the maternal line of the Swedish royal family

1. HM Queen Victoria (UK)
2. HRH Princess Louisa of Prussia, Duchess of Connaught
3. HRH Princess Margaret of Connaught, Crown Princess of Sweden
4. HRH Princess Sibylla of Sax Coburg & Gotha, Princess of Sweden
5. HM Queen Silvia, Queen Consort of Sweden

Gustav Carl Arthur Albert Edward

I like these. They appear to have some sentimental (and historical) value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom