The Queen and Canada: Residences, Governor General, etc...

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It would be nearly impossible to do so legally.

The monarchy is a constitutional issue and has a distinct legal persona in each of the provinces and the federal government. In order to remove it the House of Commons, the Senate, and the legislative assembly of all 10 provinces have to consent.

This poses 3 major challenges to republicanism.

First of all, the House of Commons would have to be in agreement to abolish the monarchy. The Conservative party, under Harper, is pro-monarchy, and the Liberals' most recent party vote on the issue came in favour of the monarchy (or at least against abolishing it). If the NDP were to try to abolish the monarchy they would need support from the other parties, as they aren't likely to gain a majority. The only party that openly supports a republic is the Bloc Québécois, and allying with them will alienate the NDP.

Secondly, the Senate has to approve. Right now, the Senate has a Conservative majority, therefore isn't likely to support republicanism. There are 22 seats not filled, so theoretically the tide could be changed if the Independents were swayed to republicanism, however given Mulcair's strong anti-senate stance he'd lose some political clout if he filled those seats.

I believe that is not exactly correct. A constitutional amendment to abolish the monarchy in Canada would fall under Section 41 of the Constitution Act, 1982 (quoted below), which, as you said, requires the approval of the House of Commons, the Senate, and the Legislative Assemblies of all 10 provinces.

Section 41 [Highly Qualified Proceedings]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
An amendment to the Constitution of Canada in relation to the following matters may be made by proclamation issued by the Governor General under the Great Seal of Canada only where authorized by resolutions of the Senate and House of Commons and of the legislative assemblies of each province:
(a) the office of the Queen, the Governor General, and the Lieutenant Governor of a province;

(b) the right of a province to a number of members in the House of Commons not less than the number of Senators by which the province is entitled to be represented at the time this part comes into force;
(c) subject to Section 43, the use of the English or the French language;
(d) the composition of the Supreme Court of Canada; and
(e) an amendment to this part
.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]

However, Section 47 of the same Constitution Act, 1982 (also quoted below) includes an exception under which a constitutional amendment may be made under Section 41 above (and a few other sections) if the Senate fails to approve it within 180 days (not counting days when Parliament is prorogued or dissolved), and the House of Commons subsequently passes it a second time. In other words, the Senate could only delay the abolition of the monarchy, but it could not prevent it indefinitely provided that the House of Commons and the Legislative Assemblies of the provinces agree to turn Canada into a republic.

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]Section 47 [Default Adoption]

[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica](1) An amendment to the Constitution of Canada made by proclamation under Sections 38, 41, 42, and 43 may be made without a resolution of the Senate authorizing the issue of the proclamation if, within one hundred and eighty days after the adoption by the House of Commons of a resolution authorizing its issue, the Senate has not adopted such a resolution and if, at any time after the expiration of that period, the House of Commons again adopts the resolution.
(2) Any period when Parliament is prorogued or dissolved shall not be counted in computing the one hundred and eighty day period referred to in Subsection (1).

[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT][/FONT]

Some very cute stories in the Toronto Star about informal interactions between Canadian Governors General and Canadian PM's and the Queen and other members of the royal family.

http://t.thestar.com/#/article/news/world/royals/2012/05/25/when_the_queen_is_your_boss.html

What a lovely read!! Thanks for the link. Prince Phillip telling Michaelle Jean's then little girl it would be their little secret just between them that he offered her a Coke, after telling him she wasn't allowed to have that at home, is just such a Grandpa thing to do. :D. I also loved Maureen McTeer's story about the advice The Queen Mum gave her just after Joe Clark made it into big time National Politics, not to mention Her Majesty was the only one there who, as she getting into her car to leave, called her Ms. McTeer.

I'm just old enough to remember the fuss that created, for the wife of a Political Leader to want to be known and addressed by her Maiden Name, and how wonderful a feeling it must have given Ms McTeer at the time for the Queen Mum to have done that for her. I think these two stories are my favourites. Although...After reading about what Jean Chretien said when it was his turn as Minister of Justice to sign The Constitution, my wondering about why Her Majesty looks so gleefully happy in those photos all these years has at last been answered...ROTFLOL!!! :D :D :D

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Monarchist League ‏@monarchist 2 mins2 minutes ago
Prime Minister Harper was this morning received by the Governor General, who agreed to dissolve Parliament.

Since 1534, when the King of France claimed possession of what is now Canada, the history of our country has been marked by the reigns of an uninterrupted succession of monarchs, both French and British, who have had a significant influence on our country's development.

Under the Crown, Canada developed first as a colony of two empires, originally the French and subsequently the British, then as an independent dominion, and now as an entirely sovereign nation. The Crown occupies a central place in our Parliament and our democracy, founded on the rule of law and respect for rights and freedoms; the Crown embodies the continuity of the state and is the underlying principle of its institutional unity. The Crown heads all three branches of government: the Executive, where the Prime Minister is the principal advisor; the Legislative, which recognizes the Crown as one of three constituents of Parliament, acting with the consent of the Senate and the House of Commons; and the Judiciary, since all decisions made by the courts are given in the name of the Queen.

The most important characteristic of Canada's constitutional monarchy has been its ability to adapt to changing conditions over the course of our evolution from colony to nation. In the Senate foyer and the Salon de la Francophonie, hang the portraits of the kings and queens in whose names our laws have been, and continue to be, enacted.
Read more: Canada A Constitutional Monarchy

A fascinating way of looking at it:
Kelly Mathews ‏@allthingsregal Sep 9 Queen Elizabeth II has reigned for 42% of Canada's existence as a self-governing Dominion 63 of 148yrs (150yrs in 2017)
1f1e8.png
1f1e6.png
1f451.png
1f1ec-1f1e7.png
#longestreign

Last edited by a moderator:
Monarchist League @monarchist
Governor General of Canada, will preside over Order of Canada investiture at Rideau Hall, Wed, Sept 23, 2015, 10:30am
Webcast (Order of Canada)

Her Most Excellent Majesty Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, is Sovereign of the Order

Attached the NDP reply:
https://twitter.com/monarchist/status/648534474058297344?lang=en-gb

Attached the Liberal reply:
https://twitter.com/monarchist/status/648534287621468160?lang=en-gb

Monarchist League‏ @monarchist
the Green reply:
https://twitter.com/monarchist/status/648533956955086852?lang=en-gb

Attached the Conservative reply:
https://twitter.com/monarchist/status/648533483091042304?lang=en-gb

Monarchist League ‏@monarchist
FEDERAL ELECTION INFORMATION
The Monarchist League asked the four federalist parties for their views on the Canadian Monarchy.

I wonder why nobody has commented on the results of yesterday's federal election in Canada.

What is Justin Trudeau's position on the monarchy ? I suspect he's not a strong monarchist like Stephen Harper, but the Liberal Party seems to support the continuation of the monarchy, doesn't it ?

I am also glad that the Liberals won an outright majority and won't have to form a coalition government with the NDP, which I believe has republican leanings.

I wonder why nobody has commented on the results of yesterday's federal election in Canada.

What is Justin Trudeau's position on the monarchy ? I suspect he's not a strong monarchist like Stephen Harper, but the Liberal Party seems to support the continuation of the monarchy, doesn't it ?

I am also glad that the Liberals won an outright majority and won't have to form a coalition government with the NDP, which I believe has republican leanings.

The Conservatives, Greens, Liberals, and NDP all are officially in favour of retaining the Crown. Neither Trudeau nor Mulcair have spoken as strongly in favour of the Crown with their stance more being one of "the party isn't interested in re-opening this issue".

I believe the only party to officially come out against the monarchy is the Bloc Québécois.

Well, this is it!! Officially, Stephen Harper is no longer Prime Minister of Canada & Thank God for that!! I do not envy the still ATM Prime Minister Designate Justin Trudeau's job, as he's got a heck of a mess to try & either fix or cope w/, but....

HARPER IS GONE!!!

Sorry, but had to get that out. :D. I'm assuming there will be some sort of a message from Her Majesty that will be given after the Ceremony to both Swear In him and the New Cabinet is over and done w/? Same w/a Press Release Statement congratulating him on becoming Prime Minister? I say assuming because I just do not remember if that's happened in the past or not.

One thing I am looking forward to w/a certain amount of glee though?

His first meeting w/The Queen as Prime Minister. I mean...Justin was just a little one, who more than likely was also threatened w/in an inch of his life to be on his best behaviour at the time too, the last time they met each other face to face. Now he's all grown up and soon to be our Prime Minister...It's going to be a full circle moment in so many ways. I know we won't get any video of the actual meeting between them, but that picture? That is going to be such a special picture.

Can't wait to see it!! :D :D

Yes HE is gone. It is a beautiful day on the east coast, the sun is shining and our new PM is getting sworn in before noon. Life is good.

I've just seen Prime Minister Justin Trudeau swear allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, her heirs and successors live on the CBC news website. This was a beautiful ceremony who is still going on.

Mess to fix ??? As I understand it, Harper left Canada in a much better shape than when he inherited it from Paul Martin. After a few years of Trudeau and the Liberals, the country will be back into fiscal deficits and, basically, a mess again.

Well, at least Trudeau seems to support the continuation of the monarchy.
As I understand it Harper had the worst economic record since the Great Depression.

As I understand it Harper had the worst economic record since the Great Depression.

During the world's worst economic slump since the Great Depression (the 2008-2009 financial crisis and its aftermath ), Canada actually outperformed most developed economies. The Canadian economy has slowed down over the past year or so due to lower oil prices, but GDP growth is still in positive territory. Overall, I believe Harper handled the economy very well given the boundary conditions surrounding his 9 years in government. As a fiscal conservative, I have little faith though in Trudeau's Keynesian approach, especially his proposal of temporary structural deficits.

Did he mispronounce "heirs" as "hairs" ?

PS: Just explaining, I meant "hair" in the so-called "General American" pronunciation, not in British RP pronunciation.

He did, but I'm wondering if that's just his accent. He has an interesting kind of French, kind of English accent.

His first meeting w/The Queen as Prime Minister. I mean...Justin was just a little one, who more than likely was also threatened w/in an inch of his life to be on his best behaviour at the time too, the last time they met each other face to face. Now he's all grown up and soon to be our Prime Minister...It's going to be a full circle moment in so many ways. I know we won't get any video of the actual meeting between them, but that picture? That is going to be such a special picture

This is some of the magic of monarchies, the thread that runs through time, and with the incredible and strong reign of H.M the Queen, having sworn in the father of the new Canadian PM more than 30 years ago, and with pictures in existence of the new PM as a little boy, alongside his father, with the still-reigning Queen of Canada.

In a world where dynastic power is very much a factor in almost every republic around the globe, I'll settle for monarchical inherited positions any day. Atleast there's someone who is born and raised to do the task, selflessly and gently, and nobody could be luckier than Canada and the 15 other nations she reigns over, to have such a monarch, that is Queen Elizabeth II.

Did he mispronounce "heirs" as "hairs" ?

PS: Just explaining, I meant "hair" in the so-called "General American" pronunciation, not in British RP pronunciation.

He wasn't the only one. I mean, I get they were nervous & why, but of all the terms in the respective Oaths, the one word that gave the most trouble was "Heirs"!?!

I am beyond thrilled the Minister for Sport and Persons w/Disabilities is a Paralympian, Former President of the CPC & Legally Blind/Visually Impaired!! Why? Because like the reaction I saw on Twitter by the numerous Canadian Athletes regarding her becoming Minister of Sport, was the same I had towards her other Portfolio...

OMG....The Minister for Persons w/Disabilities...She's one of US!!!

She will *know* what kind of challenges are out there we deal w/on a daily basis, not only from her own personal experiences, but also from all she's learned professionally as well. You don't achieve the positions and jobs she's had over the years w/out picking up a few things along the way.

Of all the Cabinet posts announced today though, I am beyond thrilled the Cabinet is indeed evenly split between Men and Women. It's beyond time for that!! Of all the important Ministries a Female MP now holds though, I am still so happy & blown away too, Is that The Minister for Justice & Attorney General is not only a Woman, but for the first time Canadian History?

She's an Aboriginal Woman.

This is huge!! It's also a move that sends a very important message too. We are a Country that is still dealing w/the Legacy of the Residential Schools era, which is only one of the sad stories of many that make up our Relations/Actions towards our Aboriginal Peoples over the Centuries. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission Report and Recommendations were handed down this Spring and one of the Promises given during the Election was that every single Recommendation would be followed through on. The Justice Minister will be the one whose team will have the Lioness' ;) share of the work to do just that and that will require someone who knows those issues inside out.

She does, but not only that...Aboriginal Women are under attack in Canada and there are now so many missing and/or murdered Aboriginal Women, it's being called an epidemic. Over the last two to three years, not only Organizations, but also the General Public have been wanting an Inquiry into what is going on. The now only a MP from Calgary, Alberta :D refused many times to do just that.

To me, I have a feeling one of the first acts PM Trudeau will make is to do just that & who better to lead the charge on this issue? This really was such an important appointment on so many levels and...Wow!!

I know it's the Honeymoon period and stuff will happen. It always does. However, for the first time in too long a time, I have Hope again. It's going to be tough in certain areas to fix the Damage That & Cronies have done to both our standing and reputation on the World Stage, but I do have Hope it can be done.

I really also hope this feeling lasts. Now the work begins & we see what happens.

I'm actually not surprised. He is truly his father's son. Various Liberal politicians do this from time to time as a sop to Quebec and to 'differentiate' themselves from the Conservatives.

Trudeau Trying To 'Excise' Images Of Queen, Worries Monarchist League Of Canada

First of all, it's not Trudeau who's had it removed, it's the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Second of all, the portrait was only put up there by the Conservatives when Will and Kate did their tour. The paintings that have been put up in its place are the ones that had previously hung there for almost 40 years.

Thirdly, I wouldn't call it a sop to Quebec, or the paintings "Quebec paintings". Yes, the artist is from Quebec, but the paintings are of Canada - I mean, they're stylized landscapes titled "Canada West" and "Canada East".

If they'd taken down a portrait of the Queen that had been up since her coronation and was done by a Canadian artist or replaced the portrait with one that said "down to the monarchy, free the French" (or Québec libre) maybe I'd get the fuss... But that's not the case.

Ish - thanks for the wonderful perspective of your POV.

It puts the issue into an area where I can evaluate as I am the current US crisis over the red, Christmas Starbucks cup. :lol:

From the Monarchist League of Canada's facebook page

October 2015: reply from national Liberal Campaign HQ to League survey of party positions
Queen Elizabeth II is the longest reigning monarch in Canadian history and remains a beloved figure for many Canadians. Over the past 63 years, she has stood with Canada through key moments of our country’s history and, as our nation underwent change and transformation, has been a rock of stability and a steadfast keeper of tradition. The Liberal Party has no intention of re-opening the Canadian constitution on this issue. Her Majesty will remain an integral part of our country’s evolution, progress, and future.

From the Monarchist League of Canada's facebook page

October 2015: reply from national Liberal Campaign HQ to League survey of party positions
Queen Elizabeth II is the longest reigning monarch in Canadian history and remains a beloved figure for many Canadians. Over the past 63 years, she has stood with Canada through key moments of our country’s history and, as our nation underwent change and transformation, has been a rock of stability and a steadfast keeper of tradition. The Liberal Party has no intention of re-opening the Canadian constitution on this issue. Her Majesty will remain an integral part of our country’s evolution, progress, and future.

They haven't however, in this particular reply , ruled out revisiting the issue when Charles becomes King. That is worrisome especially since Charles is not that popular in the Commonwealth.

I wonder when we'll have our next big royal tour with this new government? It would be nice to see William and Kate again. The visits from more minor royals don't get much coverage.

They haven't however, in this particular reply , ruled out revisiting the issue when Charles becomes King. That is worrisome especially since Charles is not that popular in the Commonwealth.

The Liberals voted in 2012 against making the issue of severing the relationship with the crown a party policy.

Saying that they'll never reopen the issue in the future is a bit ridiculous. If, at some point after the death of the Queen, a majority of Canadians spoke out against the continued relationship with the crown it would be irresponsible for the government - be they Conservative, Liberal, or other - to not address the issue.

But even for people who disagree with monarchy on principle usually agree that it 'works' for Canada.

I agree you never say never but things would really have to change in Canada for the monarchy to be abolished. Canadians are not revolutionaries.

At the end of the day Quebec which has the highest 'republican' numbers only gets one vote.

Anyone who remembers Meech Lake or the Charlottetown Accord knows its basically impossible to fiddle with the constitution.

CanadianUK @CanadianUK
We look forward to welcoming PM @JustinTrudeau to the UK for an audience with Her Majesty

The Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau, issued the following statement today on being received in audience by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday, November 25, 2015:

“I am absolutely delighted that Her Majesty has graciously agreed to this meeting. As the Queen’s twelfth Canadian Prime Minister, I am honoured and very much look forward to spending this time in conversation with her.

In her role as Queen of Canada, she has not only witnessed but also been an active participant in the evolution of our country over the past sixty-three years. Her Majesty will remain an integral part of our country’s progress and future.”
Read more: Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada on upcoming audience with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II | Prime Minister of Canada

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom