The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 - July 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Harry's Invictus honor --

Tonight my community welcomed a number of wounded warriors and their families with a full-on parade of fire trucks, antique fire trucks, vintage police vehicles, helicopters and a full turn-out of flag-waving residents. The veterans will be here through the weekend participating in adaptive water sports. It's so important to the participants and their families, and our neighborhood which has been hosting this for years. The vets and their families are hosted by local people in their houses, the NYPD and FDNY are on call for any transportation needs.

This little neighborhood effort is a drop in the ocean compared to the scale of Invictus. Harry is the one who brought Invictus to international attention. Who cares if he's not the one toting that barge and lifting that bale and going over the books at night. He puts an international focus on Invictus and does his job.

Congratulations HRH Prince Henry!
Lovely to hear that you community celebrates these Wounde Warriors.

I think that too many awards go to the rich and famous but I am not sure why Harry has been the target of criticism but I haven't seen any concerns raised about Serena Williams hosting the event. It seems to me that they could have chosen an athlete who is also a veteran.

I just listened to Prince Harry's speech. It was entirely focused on those who do the leg work for the Invictus Games, the veterans who participated in it, and the resilience of veterans and why organizations like the Invictus Games are important with regards to supporting their mental health. The only thing he says about himself is that he is a mouthpiece for the Invictus Games and that the award is really for it.

I thought he came across very humble, articulate, and passionate about the Invictus Games and veterans in general.

Elsewhere in the speech, Prince Harry said, "The truth is I stand here not as Prince Harry, Pat Tillman Award recipient, but rather a voice on behalf of the Invictus Games Foundation and the thousands of veterans and service personnel from over 20 nations who have made the Invictus Games a reality. This award belongs to them, not to me."

"That said, it is of great importance to me to highlight these allies, athletes and their amazing families for their achievements, their spirit and their courage at every opportunity, especially on nights like this in front of people like you," he continued. "Moments like these help us reach those who need Invictus the most and reduce more than 20 veterans a day taking their lives in this country alone."

I think that too many awards go to the rich and famous but I am not sure why Harry has been the target of criticism but I haven't seen any concerns raised about Serena Williams hosting the event. It seems to me that they could have chosen an athlete who is also a veteran.
The event itself is not a celebration of veterans, but a celebration of athletes. Most of the event focuses on athletic achievement, so Serena Williams is an appropriate host as one of the most decorated tennis players in the world.

This specific award is the only one for veterans or others who do service in the context of athletics and it has historically gone to someone who is not famous on a night where mostly famous people are honored. That’s the root of the backlash.

I am not a legal expert but what is the position with this programme going out while there is a legal case still ongoing.
Is the difference because this is a private case that Harry has raised, I am sure the defendants ( if that is the correct terminology) but you know who I mean will be watching and taking notes.
I wondered that as well. I assume that it's because it's a civil case, so it's not as if there are jurors whose opinion could be swayed by a TV programme, but it still seems odd.

I think that too many awards go to the rich and famous but I am not sure why Harry has been the target of criticism, but I haven't seen any concerns raised about Serena Williams hosting the event. It seems to me that they could have chosen an athlete who is also a veteran.

Serena Williams not only has a long successful career as an athlete but also has an extensive experience as a spoke person that makes her a great host to move the show along from start to finish. I guess that's why she was chosen amongst so many athletes, she is a bit like a talk show host on stage with no nervousness or that look others have on getting a bit lost when reading the tele-prompter.

Her opening of the show last night is on YouTube and Serena knows how to get the audience engaged from the moment she walks on that stage. She was so charismatic on stage I wish she would host the Oscars instead of the lineup of not funny and very boring talk show hosts and B and D-List comedians we are burdened with every year.

I also watched a moment ago Harry's speech and he seemed so nervous as he read from the teleprompter, I thought he was a bit of in a rush. His speech, probably re-written to alleviate off his shoulders the criticism he received from both public and the UK military, was balanced and respectful.

He, or his speech writer(s), emphasized this was about the veterans and about Pat Tillman, not about Harry.

Last edited:
"A bipartisan coalition with support from Hollywood power players and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Archewell Foundation is working to prepare U.S. voters for a possible deepfake onslaught as the campaign year goes into high gear."
Thought I would pass it along here in case anyone's interested in how Harry and Meghan are spending their Archewell dollars. This is what I get for glancing over an AI tech article on Axios.

"A bipartisan coalition with support from Hollywood power players and Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Archewell Foundation is working to prepare U.S. voters for a possible deepfake onslaught as the campaign year goes into high gear."
Thought I would pass it along here in case anyone's interested in how Harry and Meghan are spending their Archewell dollars. This is what I get for glancing over an AI tech article on Axios.
The content of the article is very interesting. Funny to see how things have changed since April, when the article was published.
As for Archewell producing content, ugh, as much as they are free to do as they please, I dislike them for meddling into politics, not even for “being British” or for “being royal” but for being politically illiterate.

Yes, the times they are a changing.
"Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Archewell Foundation is also helping brainstorm new content." Really?? :shock:

I think that too many awards go to the rich and famous but I am not sure why Harry has been the target of criticism...
I suspect the criticism is mostly due to his unpopularity with many people.
At this point, he'd be criticised no matter what he says or does.
It doesn't really have anything much to do with the award. JMO.

Honestly all the faux outrage (IMHO) only brought more eyes to the show and therefore more awareness of the Invictus Foundation. I’ve seen mostly praise of him and folk acknowledging not knowing of the games since his speech, so in the end win/win.

Honestly all the faux outrage (IMHO) only brought more eyes to the show and therefore more awareness of the Invictus Foundation. I’ve seen mostly praise of him and folk acknowledging not knowing of the games since his speech, so in the end win/win.
Except it’s not fake. People have the right to feel, to interpret, to categorize this as they seem appropriate.

And, yes, I was thinking about it, this award, the ESPYs were probably completely unknown to anyone outside US, even ESPN. Now, thanks to the controversy, at least the royal watching world has found out about it and, way more importantly, about Pat. It’s a pity that it’s happened thanks to controversy.

Except it’s not fake. People have the right to feel, to interpret, to categorize this as they seem appropriate.

And, yes, I was thinking about it, this award, the ESPYs were probably completely unknown to anyone outside US, even ESPN. Now, thanks to the controversy, at least the royal watching world has found out about it and, way more importantly, about Pat. It’s a pity that it’s happened thanks to controversy.
So in awarding the Duke of Sussex the Pat Tilman award, more people than before know about:
- The ESPYs in general
- Pat Tillman in particular, especially the great sacrifices he made for the sake of his country
- That many veterans are doing amazing things to support their communities even without great means (as stated by Mary Tillman)
- Some of the challenges that veterans face and why organizations like the Invictus Games are important to both their physical and mental health (as stated by the Duke of Sussex)
- The Invictus Games themselves and how both the people on the ground and the veterans participating make the games what are

What have been the disadvantages of giving the Duke of Sussex the award?

That's really fascinating. Artificial intelligence is becoming more prevalent within society, so finding out ways to combat misinformation caused by it is very forward thinking, in my opinion. It also lines up with the Duke and Duchess of Sussexes' interest in finding ways to combat misinformation and anonymous harassment on the internet.

That's really fascinating. Artificial intelligence is becoming more prevalent within society, so finding out ways to combat misinformation caused by it is very forward thinking, in my opinion. It also lines up with the Duke and Duchess of Sussexes' interest in finding ways to combat misinformation and anonymous harassment on the internet.
Harry and Meghan interested in combatting misinformation. Interesting.

More information about the above

Meghan Markle and Prince Harry join forces with Hollywood for Election misinformation campaign; Archewell foundation prepares US voters for deepfake onslaught

Excerpt:
"Meghan Markle and Prince Harry are making a splash in the political world as they team up with Hollywood power players to protect voters against election misinformation. The couple is using their Archewell Foundation to launch a campaign that will coincide with the 2024 US presidential election. According to reports, the campaign aims to prepare US voters for a potential deepfake onslaught during the election year..."

My take: :unsure::coffee:
  • Entangling their names and Archwell's into USA politics, is by far the worst decision of the year and the press is flashing the royal titles on every article that is coming out.

• For those who watch House of Dragon Season 2, remember what happens when someone rides a dragon to battle a gigantic dragon? Not a pretty outcome, and now Harry declaring himself in his delusion as a dragon slayer in reference to his court case doesn't make this any easier to justify.

• By Meghan driving this influencer obsessed plane into the heart of USA politics, with Harry seated in coach, she is putting herself and Harry as target of the notorious propaganda machinery. That same machinery that controls USA politics can and will, depending on who wins in November, get Harry's Visa situation become an obsession of the politicians of one party.
    And is a lose-lose situation because here in the USA those billionaires who control the two-party system are not the ones you see on TV. Those two are frontmen, the face of the politics. The real force, the big bad dragon, is the ones who fund with millions this mess we see on TV daily.

• This decision for two UK members of the royal family to include themselves into the convoluted world of USA politics has the potential to mess them and their foundation up royally in 2025. I'm now assuming Meghan wants to get her name out there for a potential career in Washington years down the road. If that's the case, remember the G. Santos political career was made by the people that placed him on that job and then burned down by his own party.

Problem is that in the world of USA politics is such whoever wins can see her and Harry either as an enemy to get back at in 2025 or as an internal competition for any vacant spot representing their state of California.
They, I mean Meghan, are about to dig themselves into a hole the size of a crater if their Archewell brand becomes associated with one or another party in a nation so divided by politics. Good luck in 2025 and hope Archwell survives scrutiny of being a non-profit charity to become a tool associated with trying to influence USA politics in a heavily toxic election year.

And just for reference, imagine if people associated with the royal family did the same in any European country, willingly engage to influence in favor or against a party? Not good. Stay away from politics, when I want to make change, I do it at the voting station.

Last edited:
So in awarding the Duke of Sussex the Pat Tilman award, more people than before know about:
- The ESPYs in general
- Pat Tillman in particular, especially the great sacrifices he made for the sake of his country
- That many veterans are doing amazing things to support their communities even without great means (as stated by Mary Tillman)
- Some of the challenges that veterans face and why organizations like the Invictus Games are important to both their physical and mental health (as stated by the Duke of Sussex)
- The Invictus Games themselves and how both the people on the ground and the veterans participating make the games what are

What have been the disadvantages of giving the Duke of Sussex the award?
Except. I find diminishing for the veterans to be treated as a token in the tin world of entertainment. Also, there’s a mish-mash of wounded, not wounded, able, disabled and so on.

More than anything, I believe it’s the government’s responsibily to take care of their recuperation, physical, mental and reintegration in society. They served, they deserve.

Harry was given Invictus by ELF, it’s his golden egg. He MIGHT care, but that’s all.

Harry is the Founding Patron of the Invictus Games. ELF is a Trustee. It was Harry who saw the potential of an international competition when he saw the Warrior Games in Colorado in 2013 and it has been Harry who has been the driving spirit of these Games ever since.
There have been countless competitors from many nations who have spoken and written of his encouragement and drive in inspiring them to compete for over a decade.

Even now the British media state that the Invictus Games inception is Harry’s greatest achievement in his royal public life, though I would say that Sentebale runs close.

https://www.royal.uk/invictus-games#:~:text=The%20Games%20challenged%20attitudes%20and,their%20'Invictus'%20spirit.%22

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what to think about Harry and Meghan other than they want to "do good" at the same time make money through Archwell.com which includes both Archwell Foundation and Archwell Productions.

The Foundation website lists several projects Programs | The Archewell Foundation. One of the active programs is Responsible Technology Youth Power Fund 2024. Responsible Technology Youth Power Fund 2024 | The Archewell Foundation. The fund will "prioritize projects that promote mental health and well-being, ethical AI, and climate change." Apparently this fund consists of "impact-driven funders to invest a total of $2.5 million in supporting a new cohort of visionary leaders." The fund has opened up applications to "grantees" ie those wanting a grant$.

This also seems couched as a solicitation for money from "impact-driven funders", unless the $2.5 million are ready available.

Applications close Friday, 09 August at 11:59 pm PT
Have questions about the application? Join our Q&A webinar on Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 10:00 am PT (1:00 pm ET) or visit the FAQ.

I do think Meghan and Harry really want to "do good" and to do that they need big money. The concern I have, is that they don't become grifters.

So pleased that Harry received this award, it couldn't go to a nicer, more deserving man❤️

With all due respect…really???

Myself and the 77,333 other people who signed the petition objecting to PH receiving the award would beg to differ - and that’s just for starters. There’s also the astute observation made by Pat Tillman’s mother - and many others in the public eye.

The fact that PH still chose to accept it and ESPN didn’t rescind it is neither surprising - nor is it important. Nobody expected any different.

What is important is that a large number of people - as well as Mrs Mary Tillman - spoke up and said that it wasn’t right, and they were heard. They were not “silent - or silenced”. Ordinary people who were able to unite and say their piece. That is a victory in itself, as some would like to stop that from happening.

I am positive there are many, many people out there, genuinely nice people who are far more deserving of the award. The unsung, real heroes who do not get the attention they richly deserve. People who neither need nor crave “recognition” or reward, yet would not have compromised the integrity of the award which for many has, sadly, now been damaged.

R.I.P. Pat Tillman and thank you for your service. History will remember you as a good man who wanted to serve his country; a decent, unselfish man of honour and great integrity. A man who chose not to walk away from his duty.

I doubt very much that PH will be so remembered.

===

Back to my holiday - see you in about a week or so! Take care everyone!

:flowers:

Last edited:
Snowangel's opinion that the Duke of Sussex deserves the award is just as valid as the 77,334 who signed the petition. Just because a large group of people share the same opinion doesn't make it suddenly an undeniable fact.

At the end of the day, the Duke of Sussex received the award. All the efforts to get ESPN to rescind the award/get the Duke of Sussex to decline to take it failed. People who are upset about have every right to continue to complain about it, but ESPN is not going to pay them anymore heed than they did before.

With all due respect…really???

Myself and the 77,333 other people who signed the petition objecting to PH receiving the award would beg to differ - and that’s just for starters. There’s also the astute observation made by Pat Tillman’s mother - and many others in the public eye.

The fact that PH still chose to accept it and ESPN didn’t rescind it is neither surprising - nor is it important. Nobody expected any different.

What is important is that a large number of people - as well as Mrs Mary Tillman - spoke up and said that it wasn’t right, and they were heard. They were not “silent - or silenced”. Ordinary people who were able to unite and say their piece. That is a victory in itself, as some would like to stop that from happening.

I am positive there are many, many people out there, genuinely nice people who are far more deserving of the award. The unsung, real heroes who do not get the attention they richly deserve. People who neither need nor crave “recognition” or reward, yet would not have compromised the integrity of the award which for many has, sadly, now been damaged.

R.I.P. Pat Tillman and thank you for your service. History will remember you as a good man who wanted to serve his country; a decent, unselfish man of honour and great integrity. A man who chose not to walk away from his duty.

I doubt very much that PH will be so remembered.

===

Back to my holiday - see you in about a week or so! Take care everyone!

:flowers:
I bet there’s also a large number of people who think he should get the award. They just don’t have the need nor the drive to start a petition. Just like there have been people who spoke up in defence of Harry getting this award.

So while I agree non famous/wealthy people don’t get enough recognition for the hard work they do, that’s not Harry’s fault. And it’s a tad unfair it’s held only against him and not others like him.

I'm not really sure what to think about Harry and Meghan other than they want to "do good" at the same time make money through Archwell.com which includes both Archwell Foundation and Archwell Productions.

The Foundation website lists several projects Programs | The Archewell Foundation. One of the active programs is Responsible Technology Youth Power Fund 2024. Responsible Technology Youth Power Fund 2024 | The Archewell Foundation. The fund will "prioritize projects that promote mental health and well-being, ethical AI, and climate change." Apparently this fund consists of "impact-driven funders to invest a total of $2.5 million in supporting a new cohort of visionary leaders." The fund has opened up applications to "grantees" ie those wanting a grant$.

This also seems couched as a solicitation for money from "impact-driven funders", unless the $2.5 million are ready available.

Applications close Friday, 09 August at 11:59 pm PT
Have questions about the application? Join our Q&A webinar on Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 10:00 am PT (1:00 pm ET) or visit the FAQ.

I do think Meghan and Harry really want to "do good" and to do that they need big money. The concern I have, is that they don't become grifters.
I genuinely believe that Harry always intended to continue his work when he moved away from the UK, the issue is that he also needs to earn a very good living to enable him to maintain his lifestyle.
The problem I have is that I am not clear what direction they are heading, they have taken so many turns.
Children’s books, Spare, interviews, documentary, pots of jam. 40..40..
Executive producer of ?
Receiving awards .
Tinkering in politics.
The overall impression I now have is chaos, not sure of what direction they are heading,
There does not appear to be any cohesive route map of where they are heading. How do we go from pots of jam to AI investigation etc.

I genuinely believe that Harry always intended to continue his work when he moved away from the UK, the issue is that he also needs to earn a very good living to enable him to maintain his lifestyle.
The problem I have is that I am not clear what direction they are heading, they have taken so many turns.
Children’s books, Spare, interviews, documentary, pots of jam. 40..40..
Executive producer of ?
Receiving awards .
Tinkering in politics.
The overall impression I now have is chaos, not sure of what direction they are heading,
There does not appear to be any cohesive route map of where they are heading. How do we go from pots of jam to AI investigation etc.
Good point, Hallo Girl. The Sussexes appear all over the place. I did a deep dive into their Archewell.com website. It breaks down into philanthropic Archewell Foundation Programs | The Archewell Foundation The "show up, do good" part that supports good causes with grant money received through donations. Then there is the business ($ making) Archewell Productions Archewell Productions They identify this as scripted, non-scripted TV, film, documentaries, such as Netflix and podcasting - previously Spotify.

In addition is The Office of Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. The Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex an additional branch of Archewell.com. This website includes individual bios of Harry and Meghan plus programs and interests they are involved with., Invictus Games Foundation, Sentebale, Wellchild to name just a few.

They have lofty goals yet if they are successful in just a portion of what's listed the world will be a better place. Time will tell.

Last edited:
Good point, Hallo Girl. The Sussexes appear all over the place. I did a deep dive into their Archewell.com website. It breaks down into philanthropic Archewell Foundation Programs | The Archewell Foundation The "show up, do good" part that supports good causes with grant money received through donations. Then there is the business ($ making) Archewell Productions Archewell Productions They identify this as scripted, non-scripted TV, film, documentaries, such as Netflix and podcasting - previously Spotify.

In addition is The Office of Prince Harry and Meghan, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex. The Office of The Duke and Duchess of Sussex an additional branch of Archewell.com. This website includes individual bios of Harry and Meghan plus programs and interests they are involved with., Invictus Games Foundation, Sentebale, Wellchild to name just a few.

They have lofty goals yet if they are successful in just a portion of what's listed the world will be a better place. Time will tell.

Is it me but do you find the structure of Archwell is really a money-for-the-pocket making enterprise using same name as a non-profit tax except bracket for social justice, representation-maker, grandiose celebrities' chaser, etc.?

The line blurs fine between Foundation and Productions you can't see where the non-profit ends and the for-profit money-making starts. But one thing is for sure, from the moment the name Archwell was registered using a royal baby's unusual name we all knew where we were heading to:

• Prince Archie was born May 6th, 2019
  • Sussex Royal (Archwell's first incarnation) was registered as a private company on July 1st, 2019.
  • The senior royals told the couple a big no on Feb 21st 2020
  • company renamed for only one day, MWX Foundation on August 5th, 2020
  • On March 3, 2020, an International Class 35 trademark application for the name 'Archewell' was submitted for registration with the United States Patent and Trademark Office
I call it as I see it, one blurry line between altruism and money making. And I'm aware they need to make money to survive and support the California lifestyle but here, in the USA, this is more in the lines of the Washington DC lifestyle. That's the place to be where socialites and politicians of all denominations live and thrive as the republic's nobility and, occasionally, step outside for photo ops with the poor, under privileged and struggling classes.

Now I'm thinking if there's a home move, the best matching zip code would be Washington DC for them.

Archwell by the number$ under the microscope of CharityWatch's Rating - article from Feb 2nd, 2024

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom