The Duke and Duchess of Sussex and Family, News and Events 9: August 2023 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I once bought a book which had a limited print run, so my copy had a number. This was many years ago, and I've still got it, although I've got no idea whether or not it's worth anything. If you buy a limited edition coin from the Royal Mint, I think you get a certificate with a number. Presumably the idea is that Meghan's jam is equally valuable. Maybe the idea is that people will keep the jars for the rest of their lives and pass them on in their wills. Hopefully having eaten the jam first. As I assume that most strawberry jam tastes very similar to Tesco value jam, which may be purchased for 39p per jar, I don't think I'll be buying any.

I once bought a book which had a limited print run, so my copy had a number. This was many years ago, and I've still got it, although I've got no idea whether or not it's worth anything. If you buy a limited edition coin from the Royal Mint, I think you get a certificate with a number. Presumably the idea is that Meghan's jam is equally valuable. Maybe the idea is that people will keep the jars for the rest of their lives and pass them on in their wills. Hopefully having eaten the jam first. As I assume that most strawberry jam tastes very similar to Tesco value jam, which may be purchased for 39p per jar, I don't think I'll be buying any.
Well in most of the photos of jar 17/50 the label was already starting to peel off, but maybe just keeping the glass jar will be enough for some people??!

It was explicitly stated in multiple parts of the judgement that RAVEC was not planning to provide security only to keep paparazzi out of Harry's way (which would mainly be an issue at his private events). Security is about avoiding threats to his life not to deter the nuisance of paparazzi.
I would agree, they are not there to control the paparazzi, especially for a couple who have a hotline when it suits. I was referring to royal events and possibly the charity work, certainly not for their personal work or going out to dinner.

I would agree, they are not there to control the paparazzi, especially for a couple who have a hotline when it suits. I was referring to royal events and possibly the charity work, certainly not for their personal work or going out to dinner.
Any charity work by now is personal and not representing the royal family. Nobody wants something to happen to Harry, Meghan or their children, so if the risk assessment shows that government protection is needed, it will be provided. However, that is not necessarily the same as the protection the Sussexes feel they need.

Any charity work by now is personal and not representing the royal family. Nobody wants something to happen to Harry, Meghan or their children, so if the risk assessment shows that government protection is needed, it will be provided. However, that is not necessarily the same as the protection the Sussexes feel they need.
None of it is as the Sussexes feel they are entitled to.

Harry has filed US as his country of residence.

I assume that means that by now he has a green card/permanent residency. As long as he was on a temporary visa, his official country of residence needed to be the UK.

It will be interesting if the UK now also no longer considers him domiciled in the UK as that would impact his status as Councilor of State.

I'm disgusted that it's 90% and not 100%. Why should £50,000 of public money have to be wasted on Harry's ridiculous court case?
Why indeed.

I understand the reason why this has happened (as explained up thread) but it's outrageous that this person's actions has cost the taxpaper anything whatsoever.

I assume that means that by now he has a green card/permanent residency. As long as he was on a temporary visa, his official country of residence needed to be the UK.

It will be interesting if the UK now also no longer considers him domiciled in the UK as that would impact his status as Councilor of State.
An even more interesting question would be about any regency as he remains the highest ranked adult in the LofS after the PofW.

An even more interesting question would be about any regency as he remains the highest ranked adult in the LofS after the PofW.
I don’t know if it’s relevant abiut being the highest ranking. As I understand it, the ordinary job of CoS is by appointment by HM, and for the regency, God forbid, they can have a different kind of document, I don’t remember which kind, to appoint anyone considered suitable.

LE I don’t know if it’s permitted by the moderators, I dare attach the Regency act from 1953.

This may be a dumb question, but are there any activities or such in Sussex itself linked to having the title 'Duke of Sussex'? I mean, any obligations that come with having a title like that? (Same question ofcourse goes for all the Duchies, but i can easier imagine the other Dukes actually visiting their Duchy)

I don't think we have to worry about that. HRH The Prince of Wales is fit and healthy and will definitely be there if a regency is necessary.
Not if he isn't living when there is a demise of the crown & the accession of a minor.

Even more complicated if the Princess of Wales was not living either.

Mods, please move to a more appropriate thread if needed.

This may be a dumb question, but are there any activities or such in Sussex itself linked to having the title 'Duke of Sussex'? I mean, any obligations that come with having a title like that? (Same question ofcourse goes for all the Duchies, but i can easier imagine the other Dukes actually visiting their Duchy)
No, none at all.

Because they are as precious as a print of Hyeronimus Bosch or the book of Kells.

Sorry for the sarcasm, it is directed to those who thought it was a good idea. Last summer, out of seven kg of strawberries I made 26 jars of jam. I offered about ten of them as a gift. Should I have numbered them?
Yes, it's a new tradition. You should have numbered them! Let's not be surprised if Meghan opens a produce stand by the road leading to Montecito to sell numbered chicken eggs from her hens. They will be as precious as Faberge's.

Humor aside, I would like to know the list of the 50 influencers that I can be sure include Elon, all the Kardashians, Beyonce and Oprah + Gayle...

Making jars professionally and sending them to people is a nice marketing touch if you are some sort of farmer or food producer. But I find it confusing since I can't tell what the marketing is for. I have the feeling there is no clear path of what she wants to do for a company startup here to put on the tag the Duchess of ___ name. My guess here is to follow the food products line her father in-law, then Prince Charles, had in Cornwall.

I think it's supposed to be a tie-in to the cooking show she's developing. Kind of like a promotion for it, if you will. I honestly don't picture her actually cooking, so this should be interesting.

I think it's supposed to be a tie-in to the cooking show she's developing. Kind of like a promotion for it, if you will. I honestly don't picture her actually cooking, so this should be interesting.
A cooking show with the Duchess? I'm sorry for my humor but first thought reading that line was she will have her staff cook, and she chats with a guest on the other side of the kitchen counter.

A reminder that this is the Sussex thread, so please stick to topics directly related to current events for the Sussex family.

Last edited:

Prince Harry 'may drop his case against The Sun over the possible cost of the legal bill'​

By Sam Greenhill Chief Reporter
Published: 17:45 EDT, 17 April 2024 | Updated: 17:50 EDT, 17 April 2024
Prince Harry could be 'forced' to settle his High Court case against The Sun because of concerns over a huge legal bill, even if he wins.

David Sherborne, lawyer for the Duke of Sussex, said his client faced an 'impossible' threat of high legal costs by continuing the case.

Prince Harry's Legal Move Could Backfire Spectacularly​

Published Apr 17, 2024 at 12:06 PM EDT Updated Apr 17, 2024 at 5:37 PM EDT

Prince Harry's potential $12.45 million gamble in a lawsuit against the publisher of Rupert Murdoch's tabloid The Sun has been laid bare by Hugh Grant as the English actor tapped out of his own case.

The Duke of Sussex and Grant together sued News Group Newspapers, publisher of The Sun and the now-defunct News of the World, on allegations of unlawful journalistic practices.

[...] On Wednesday, [Hugh Grant] posted a long thread on X, formerly Twitter, detailing how accepting a payout was his only option due to the potential threat of paying sky-high costs even if he wins.

The big problem for Harry seems to be that the claims he makes are well beyond the 6 year limit and so, even after going to trial it could be a judge throws it out on a technicality. Its a huge risk for a case that could fall at the very first hurdle. Do Meghan and Harry have enough money to be able to risk £10million? I seriously doubt very many people do.

There are a lot of articles out there talking about if Harry could be one of the four-chancellors? Is that what it's called? - one of the four working royals who would take charge if Charles became incapacitated. I won't post any of the articles because I think they're just gossip but is there anyone out there who could explain this? Would Harry and Andrew really have any power if Charles got sick? What would it take to remove them from power? That sort of thing.

There are a lot of articles out there talking about if Harry could be one of the four-chancellors? Is that what it's called? - one of the four working royals who would take charge if Charles became incapacitated. I won't post any of the articles because I think they're just gossip but is there anyone out there who could explain this? Would Harry and Andrew really have any power if Charles got sick? What would it take to remove them from power? That sort of thing.
There is a thread about the Counsellors of State. It's 15 pages long, so I expect it will contain most of the answers you are looking for.

Prince Harry 'may drop his case against The Sun over the possible cost of the legal bill'​

Prince Harry could be 'forced' to settle his High Court case against The Sun because of concerns over a huge legal bill, even if he wins.

David Sherborne, lawyer for the Duke of Sussex, said his client faced an 'impossible' threat of high legal costs by continuing the case.

Prince Harry's potential $12.45 million gamble in a lawsuit against the publisher of Rupert Murdoch's tabloid The Sun has been laid bare by Hugh Grant as the English actor tapped out of his own case.

The Duke of Sussex and Grant together sued News Group Newspapers, publisher of The Sun and the now-defunct News of the World, on allegations of unlawful journalistic practices.

[...] On Wednesday, [Hugh Grant] posted a long thread on X, formerly Twitter, detailing how accepting a payout was his only option due to the potential threat of paying sky-high costs even if he wins.
So basically even if Harry wins if the damages awarded are less than the offer to settle he could become liable for costs. Harry really does want his day in court but he needs to think calmly and without emotion.

MM's latest venture appears to have boosted sales of Highgrove Organic Strawberry Preserve. The King has sold out of strawberry jam! :ROFLMAO:

Worth noting (as the article says):

"While profits from Meghan's business endeavours go to herself, any excess money made as part of the Highgrove brand is donated to charity."

I would imagine Highgrove's product labels have got some decent glue on them, too.

If his own lawyer is suggesting he may throw in the towel, then if he's got any sense PH will drop his legal cases like a hot potato and stop wasting money.

Nacho Figuerras joins the jam conversation.

Is it just me or is this all a bit cringey. As we would say in Scotland a bit of a poser with a slice of jam and bread.

Is it just me or is this all a bit cringey. As we would say in Scotland a bit of a poser with a slice of jam and bread.
At least we know he was number 10 on the free jam list. I'm dying to know who the other from top nine lucky ones were and who was left in the bottom at number 50.

On a personal note, I don't like jam. I only tolerate dipping sauce on potato chips or hot chicken wings or shrimp. I doubt selling jam as a luxury product would produce enough income to break even production costs. The only way would be like when we see those TV shows with entrepreneurs, when they are lucky to get a contract with a hotel line, cruise line or 4-star restaurant, etc. to sell a food product from a luxury brand.

I have the feeling all those Michelin approved restaurants are not running, pen and contract in hand, to get their exclusive on the Montecito product line.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom