The Duchess of Sussex's Eveningwear Part 1: May 2018 - August 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s mean how they did the closeup of her heels.

There is just too much going on with this dress. Velvet v panel, velvet cuffs; chiffon sleeves and whatever the actual dress fabric is - 3 types of material. The belt may also be velvet but its broad and "clunky" esp with the biggish buckle. For me that doesn't go with the soft feminine sleeves. And there is also a split up the front of the frock. Remove the velvet panel, narrow belt and its good - even if it were in black.

Why doesn't someone remind her how good she looks in colour - last weeks blue coat, the green engagement dress, the yellow shift.

She looks fine. She doesn't overdress. And if your worried that it is not British made, buy something yourself and support them. She's Harry's wife, not a model for a fashion house. Black is fine. Always correct. She should dump the over high heels and walk nicely in something less ridiculous.

Yeah it's the better in motion. The flashlights of the cameras really washed out the black of the crèpe material, thus making it stand out harshly against the deep black of the velvet. Still think it should have been entirely made of velvet.
I really wish it was one material or the other. I think I'd have preferred velvet.

I have seen another photo showing Meghan was walking on large new pavers. The cobblestones were on the roadway, which I mentioned.
So i thought I better add this. So if she was walking a bit differently it wasn't due to the cobblestones.
I myself didn't notice anything different about the way she was walking.

For me this dress is a big No! I never in my life, thought a person could wear too much black!Meghan has proven that they can! It would be nice to see her in a different color!

Givenchy is a French label, not a British one, who just happens to employ a British designer. Givenchy will never be known as British, even if ownership of the brand were ever to end up in British hands. Just like Jaguar, Land Rover, Rolls Royce and Bentley are seen as British cars, not as Indian, Indian, German and German respectively because of their shareholders. Issa is (was!) a London based brand, creating local jobs in the UK

Not really, on a regular day to day basis, Britain comes first. The BRF follow a simple unwritten role, which is that they must be seen to be supporting British business or industry at all times, unless they are conducting an engagement or touring a specific Commonwealth country, and in which case, they will want to be seen to be supporting businesses and industry from that particular country. The people of Hull don't particularly want to see their royal family supporting businesses from Halifax or Hobart, its local jobs and businesses they care about. When in Canada or Aus or NZ, royal ladies will often wear local designers and support local causes, and may occasionally do so in London as well, when visiting say, Canada House or something similar.

I am not sure Margaret is the royal that Meghan should be looking to model her royal career on.

I honesty can't decide if you consciously twist every single word I say in a badly hidden attempt to discredit me. Or you just can't read :eek: becayse your interpretation of what I write is like drinking too much cough syrup

Did I ever say givenchy was British? Uh no. I said their designer was British. This is the 21st century. British designers don't strive to dress only Brits. They strive to expand their business workd wide. Some people comprehend supporting British designers in foreign markets is still support. It shows the talent of British designers and the schools they studied at.

Nor did I ever suggest Margaret should be her role model. If you read, I said she was in the same position. That as not being the future queen, she has more freedoms over fashion and patronages. Get the difference :bang:

Again the queen represents the commonwealth. And if the family wants to continue to, they need to modernize. Suggesting they only support commonwealth business when parading around our country on our dollar us a sure fire way for republics. If Meghan chooses to actually support designers fro, the other realms, all the more to her. The British designers get plenty of attention from the royals.

Now to get back to why I am here to discus fashion and not defend my corrupted opinion.

The bottom of the dress is stunning. I love the movement to it. :flowers:

Not a fab though if the velvet v. It seems out of place. Ruins the top for me :sad:

T-Lo loves this look, which is a little baffling to me, but whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Several posts have been edited to remove pregnancy speculations, please refrain from doing so as per the TRF rules.

I have also removed a few argumentative posts, accusing others of racism.

That’s mean how they did the closeup of her heels.

In this fashion-focused world, 75% of princesses have close-ups taken of their shoes when they are on an engagement (you just need to go to Getty Images and search "Princess XX Shoes" to see). The photographers are after shots of their shoes because articles are written specifically about fashion (and fans want these types of close-ups), in this case Meghan's dry heels are a by-product of this.

I wish she'd incorporate color. I really liked her green engagement interview dress and the yellow Brandon Maxwell dress.

Yet another black dress...if you are doing to wear another black dress it better be a rocking black dress (Ireland cocktail party) not a ho hum 3 material dress....the skirt was good and on the move looked nice but I detest the bodice. There is nothing flattering about it. I'm beyond bored with dark blah colors.

Some mentioned her heels being too big...it's a common trick to get them a half size or so too big so your feet have room to move and expand.

I love the heels, they are a little flirty/sexy. I haven't noticed her walking oddly ..she does do a 'fierce' type of walk sometimes ..I've seen it a time or two that is a bit model-like but I just imagine she's falling back on training from before.

I've never been a fan of those earrings since she got them. They just have an odd shape to them I don't care for.

Her hair looks a little dry in some of the pics. Maybe it's the camera.

If she goes over to Oz and continues to wear these dark drab colors I'm going to bang my head on the desk.

LaRae

Last edited:
Yup...same here. Lost a heel to a pair of Jimmy Choo's in Budapest. Approach with caution on cobblestone in ANY shoe. You can twist an ankle even in a pair of flats.

Same happened to my Brian Atwood in old town Alexandria. A lot of cobblestone for that old town look. Although, I don’t think she’s walking weird here. Most people walk differently in high heels and flats.

I wish she'd incorporate color. I really liked her green engagement interview dress and the yellow Brandon Maxwell dress.

In the autumn, I would really like to see Meghan start to wear autumnal colours: shades of maroon, purple, brown.

It's inexcusable for Meghan to snub British fashion in this way. I don't care if she's only lived here a year or Kate wears British clothes, the British fashion industry is more than capable of clothing two British royals with room to spare. Meghan will have heard of McQueen, Burberry, Jenny Packham, LK Bennett etc. etc. long before the thought of meeting a British prince was a possibility.

This can only be interpreted as a deliberate snub to British fashion and, given she's not British and will need to prove her Britishness to the general public, it's an enormous misstep. She needs to figure this out quickly.

I don't see how you can go so far to say it's a snub against British fashion. She has worn almost every brand you mentioned within the last year or less.

She's not British she can never prove her Britishness to the public. McQueen, as I understand it, isn't even owned by a Brit. I'm not sure why that's not a problem if she wears McQueen but yet a Brit head designer for Givenchy making her clothes is an issue.

LaRae

It’s very disingenuous to now all of a sudden refer to McQueen as not British. Has Kate ever been criticised in Britain for wearing McQueen?

There’s a quintessential Canadian lager called Labatt. It was was founded in 1848 and is as much Canadian as Mounties and maple syrup.

The fact Labatt is owned by a Dutch brewing conglomerate in no way makes it a Dutch beer.

It’s very disingenuous to now all of a sudden refer to McQueen as not British. Has Kate ever been criticised in Britain for wearing McQueen?

Actually, I was one of the first to bring up McQueen is not British in here. I don't follow Kate since it's not my thing, so I've rarely gotten into royal following before this. So I take offense to being called disingenuous. McQueen benefits the French.

There’s a quintessential Canadian lager called Labatt. It was was founded in 1848 and is as much Canadian as Mounties and maple syrup.

The fact Labatt is owned by a Dutch brewing conglomerate in no way makes it a Dutch beer.

No Kate hasn't and that's part of the point! What are you considering a British designer! Past the fact Meghan has worn all these labels now it's not enough for the designer to be British...the company must be..depending on who's ox you are goring.

LaRae

wow, I am surprise about her heels, so dry, she needs spa pedicure asap

In Britain, McQueen is a British brand. The British press have praiseed Kate for wearing British.

McQueen benefits Britain. It’s headquarters are in London. It pays taxes in Britain.

Because it was sold to the French makes it no less a British brand. There’s many, many brands around the world owned by a foreign company but again no one in Canada calls Labatt a Dutch beer because it’s owned by interbrew.

McQueen´s legacy on British fashion however is enormous. He paved the way for many British designers and his influence on Couture goes far beyond that. He is still greatly missed because he did something no one did before him. Not to mention McQueen and his successor Sarah Burton are both British and British educated. Yes, Alexander McQueen the design house is owned by Kering, but that does not mean they´re not continuining on impacting British fashion. You can´t say the same for Givency, so no I don´t think that comparison actually holds up.

she can never prove her Britishness to the public.

What she can [and SHOULD] do is take the approach she had before her Wedding.. support British businesses, ideally small creative enterprises for whom her patronage would make 'the World of difference'..
If she wants to build on the goodwill she undoubtedly has [with the Public], this is one more way to do it.
Conversely if she doesn't care about that, being seen to spend VAST amounts of money with 'international' brands [with little or no connection to her adopted country] is a fine way to earn a 'Marie Antoinette' reputation..

In her first year in this country, she does need to consider just 'how this looks' [and I don't mean her latest Givenchy]...

Last edited:
I don't see how you can go so far to say it's a snub against British fashion. She has worn almost every brand you mentioned within the last year or less.

Of course it is a snub against British fashion. If a British princess simply refuses to be seen in British fashion on all but 2 of the times she has been seen in public since her wedding and continues to support international fashion brands, is it not a snub?

She's not British she can never prove her Britishness to the public.

She may not be British by birth, but she is a member of the BRF, and will be a British subject in due course. As a member of the BRF, she will represent HM in Britain and abroad. That does not, IMO, leave any doubts as to the need for her to align her interests with those of Britain!

McQueen, as I understand it, isn't even owned by a Brit. I'm not sure why that's not a problem if she wears McQueen but yet a Brit head designer for Givenchy making her clothes is an issue.

LaRae

McQueen may be owned by an overseas company, but it is a London based business. The products are designed here, and some are produced here. The business is run from here in Britain. The intellectual property related to the brand are British.

What she can [and SHOULD] do is take the approach she had before her Wedding.. support British businesses, ideally small creative enterprises for whom her patronage would make 'the World of difference'..
If she wants to build on the goodwill she undoubtedly has [with the Public], this is one more way to do it.
Conversely if she doesn't care about that, being seen to spend VAST amounts of money with 'international' brands [with little or no connection to her adopted country] is a fine way to earn a 'Marie Antoinette' reputation..
In her first year in this country, she does need to consider just 'how this looks' [and I don't mean her latest Givenchy]...

I think she will be wearing and promoting British brands again just as she has before. It will be interesting to see what she wears on the tour to Oz.

I get what you are saying I just don't think it's time yet for folks to start going around saying she is snubbing Brits brands and IMO there is not a hard line as to what is or isn't anymore with the way businesses are handled.

LaRae

Of course it is a snub against British fashion. If a British princess simply refuses to be seen in British fashion on all but 2 of the times she has been seen in public since her wedding and continues to support international fashion brands, is it not a snub?

She may not be British by birth, but she is a member of the BRF, and will be a British subject in due course. As a member of the BRF, she will represent HM in Britain and abroad. That does not, IMO, leave any doubts as to the need for her to align her interests with those of Britain!

McQueen may be owned by an overseas company, but it is a London based business. The products are designed here, and some are produced here. The business is run from here in Britain. The intellectual property related to the brand are British.

No it's not a snub. A snub is if she refuses to wear them at all. She's worn them prior to and since the wedding...including accessories, those count as well.

The fact she's worn 'foreign' designers several times now does not mean she is not aligning her interest with those of Britain. She's doing quite a bit so far for Britain, well beyond wearing clothes. You act like that is the only facet to her.

So is that your meter? London based business for it to be considered a British design? What if it's not produced there or designed there?

Lots of grey area to me.

LaRae

Why should Meghan wear British fashions? The British people and designers have been hostile towards her. She owes them absolutely nothing. (..)

^ How [EXACTLY] have 'the British people' [and designers] been 'hostile' toward her ?

Perhaps the most sweeping generalisation ever posted on this site [imo]

Please justify it [IF you can]..

Last edited:
This is kind of a goofy argument. What Meghan is doing for Britain and its people goes far beyond whatever she wears.

Her clothes are just her plumage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom