State Visit from the King and Queen of Spain: July 12-14, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, that was what I thought too :lol:

It's up to the British Government to cancel the visit now, so I guess we will have to wait until something is made official to get some response. The elections anouncement has come as a surprise to everybody, I've seen some remarks to the fact that the date coincide with the visit but mostly everybody is expecting the next step from UK.

:previous:;)
there is no way a 3 day state visit can go ahead with an election scheduled on the 3rd day. the government of course knew their own schedule so i assume they told the spanish through diplomatic channels that there was no other date possible than june 8 :rolleyes:
first no government in spain at the date, now no government in uk at the date, this visit seems to be doomed. we will see if they are in order for the donald's visit in autum.

:previous: It will most likely be postponed again :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a strange timing...

The Spanish State Visit will have to be postponed as it was originally scheduled for June 6-8 and June 8 will be election day.

King and Queen's visit on the air after the announcement of early elections on UK

El anuncio de adelanto electoral en Reino Unido deja en el aire la visita de Estado de los Reyes

Google Translation: https://translate.google.com/transl...dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&edit-text=&act=url

Receiving the visit of a foreign leader to boost the bilateral relationship between Spain and UK in the middle of Brexit negotiation would not match well with the expected neutrality of the British Government in such moments.

I think it's pretty silly to call an election during the time of an official state visit is scheduled to occur. Rather inconsiderate, imo.

:previous:;)
there is no way a 3 day state visit can go ahead with an election scheduled on the 3rd day. the government of course knew their own schedule so i assume they told the spanish through diplomatic channels that there was no other date possible than june 8 :rolleyes:
first no government in spain at the date, now no government in uk at the date, this visit seems to be doomed. we will see if they are in order for the donald's visit in autum.

The US state visit in the fall is pretty safe as long as Mrs May is reelected with a bigger majority, which is the most likely scenario at the moment. Elections can be unpredictable though. If there is a change of government, then the US visit may be also in doubt.

Last edited:
Will the visit be canceled? Or delayed? It's strange that the elections are scheduled for that date ...

For me it's not strange but perfectly deliberate (Gibraltar, if you know what i mean :whistling:).

i very much doubt theresa may was trying to be uninviting to felipe and letizia and their visit. she has more important things in her head right now than their state visit. it probably was a suitable time for some reason in the UK political calendar and in the EU's political calendar so that they can get on with their desired brexit without delays. delaying or not the visit is probably the least of may's problems at this point.

I mean they either postpone again, or make it a two day visit. But it says it all why May chose the 8th. I see you Theresa.

I mean they either postpone again, or make it a two day visit. But it says it all why May chose the 8th. I see you Theresa.

Of course we see her ! This visit has been a needle in the foot for the post-Brexit government. How convenient to call a general election the very same day !
It's bordeline offensive for the Spaniards if you ask me ...

The government of United Kingdom knew what the situation would be with Gibraltar when they invited the King of Spain. This invitation was announced a few weeks ago, if they could not carry it on, better have waited. King Felipe had to adjust his agenda a lot because on June 9 he was already committed to being in Astana.

If the Government now intends to use that to earn points for an election... show absolute disrespect for the basic rules of diplomacy. Really something not proper of a serious country... and not proper of the Queen that as Head of State is who invites.

If this time UK postpones the invitation, I hope it takes a long time to get it back. Fortunately, King Felipe has invitations from many governments, which surely thank the visit.

Last edited:
Election date chosen has nothing to do with the Spanish visit.

If she wants to have an election, then speed is important. In practical terms, it has to happen before the holiday season and there are other considerations

Likely dates between now and 8 June election include
- parliament dissolved 3 May
- deadline for candidates 11 May
- deadline to register to vote 22 May

So with lead up deadlines there are very few dates to choose from. Totally a manual system, BTW.

It is also inappropriate for a visit to happen in the lead up to an election - the Spanish Government would not like their H of State to be seen to support a particular Party/Leader. And a State visit is political.

So even if she moved it a week later, the visit wouldn't happen.

The thought of QEII doing a State Visit with Spain of all countries (brexit/Gibraltar issue) together with a PM who has called an almost imminent general election is unthinkable, as it she must remain in a strictly neutral position with respect to all political matters.

What I don't get it is why did they reschedule it at all. Theu should have let it go until circumstances were better, both parts.

Election date chosen has nothing to do with the Spanish visit.

If she wants to have an election, then speed is important. In practical terms, it has to happen before the holiday season and there are other considerations

Likely dates between now and 8 June election include
- parliament dissolved 3 May
- deadline for candidates 11 May
- deadline to register to vote 22 May

So with lead up deadlines there are very few dates to choose from. Totally a manual system, BTW.

It is also inappropriate for a visit to happen in the lead up to an election - the Spanish Government would not like their H of State to be seen to support a particular Party/Leader. And a State visit is political.

So even if she moved it a week later, the visit wouldn't happen.

Besides, UK general elections are usually held on a Thursday, which, together with the timetable that Cepe posted above, explains the June 8 date. I also doubt there was any connection to the Spanish state visit.

PS: If I am not mistaken, there are exactly 25 working days between May 4 and June 7, which is the current legal requirement between the dissolution of parliament and election day. Previously, the legal requirement was only 17 working days, which would have put the election one week earlier.

Last edited:
Well I hope that the State Visit can be re-scheduled for as soon as possible. Politics in both countries have caused a delay in a Spanish State Visit going ahead - each relating to the issue of elections. Personally I think the subjects of Brexit and Gibraltar receive rather more attention than they deserve.

The visit was announced only a month ago, after many complications to find a date. What is incomprehensible is that the British Government would accept and announce the visit if they foresee that there was a strong possibility that they would call elections.

The Royal House and the British Government should revise their custom of announcing the visits months in advance, more when the political situation is complex and can lead to complications.

The Spanish Government only publishes the official notice announcing the trips one or two weeks earlier, that way it is more discreet if problems arise and things have to be canceled. The press knows that although they have prior information, until the Ministry of Foreign Affairs does not make the public announcement, there is officially no trip. In the case of this trip, the United Kingdom as an inviting country has imposed its 3-month rule, and it is a disaster.

Last edited:
Of course the Spaniards may take offence if they wish, but the PM's imperative for a mandate inevitably takes precedence over a State visit which will pass un-noticed by the vast majority of Britons.

I don't get why the state visit must be re-scheduled because of the election?

Why can't they have both as planned?

(As for Gibraltar, there's been several votes as to what government the inhabitants prefer, so why is this still an issue?)

Theresa May said several times she will have no new election till 2020. Curious what changed her stern position on that..

If this cause another postponement of this State Visit after going through the trouble of trying to reschedule this visit, I think it's very disrespectful and inconsiderate to the visiting Head of State.

Dman - since Spain has cancelled once, and we look likely to cancel once, I make that 'one- all'. Politics is a messy business in both countries !

The situation is quite different.

In 2016, the trip was scheduled 3 months after the elections in Spain. It was almost impossible to guess the electoral result, and to guess that it was impossible to create a government. On that occasion the Spanish Government asked to delay the official announcement of the visit until the elections passed, but the British government did not want. Visits to Saudi Arabia and Japan, although also planned, were never officially announced.

In this case, after many problems to find a date, it was the British government who officially announced the visit, for a month later to call elections the same day and probably have to cancel the visit.

Richard Palmer‏
Verified account
*@RoyalReporter 2m
2 minutes ago

More
Downing Street has insisted that the King and Queen of Spain's June 6-8 state visit to Britain will go ahead despite the general election.

From Richard Palmer. Find this really hard to believe

The situation is quite different.

In 2016, the trip was scheduled 3 months after the elections in Spain. It was almost impossible to guess the electoral result, and to guess that it was impossible to create a government.

In the Netherlands apparently there is no Problem wuith State visits short an election. The incoming State visit from Argentinia took place only very short after the elections this March.

Well, it's looking like the Spanish state visit is going to have to be postponed again. Assuming the PM gets the votes for it in Parliament, there is going to be a general election on the 8th of June. I can't imagine the visit would happen during a campaign at all, let alone at the very end of it.

According to Richard Palmer, the visit is going ahead potentially without the parliament visit.

:previous: Maybe this is just the way to not having the King of Spain addressing the parliament and the whole Spanish delegation not making annoying comments on Gibraltar :lol:

I would not take a deep breath, though. I assume we would get news on the next days if it's cancelled.

Theresa May said several times she will have no new election till 2020. Curious what changed her stern position on that..

This is not for this thread, but frankly it's an incredibly smart move from Theresa. She needs a clear vote for the tories to see her through the Brexit process, at this moment in time she doesn't have that. At this moment in time, in my opinion, there is no viable alternative to the Tories and Theresa so it's shoo in for them.

I don't think the Spain State Visit will be postponed, there's no need.

Richard Palmer‏
Verified account
*@RoyalReporter 2m
2 minutes ago

More
Downing Street has insisted that the King and Queen of Spain's June 6-8 state visit to Britain will go ahead despite the general election.

From Richard Palmer. Find this really hard to believe

Maybe the King of Spain and Queen Letizia can stop by at a polling station on June 8 to see British democracy in action ? And, of course, government ministers and the PM will take time off from their campaign schedules two days before the election to meet and have dinner with the Spanish royal couple and other members of the Spanish delegation! Again, I find it hard to believe.

In any case, Don Felipe will now most certainly not address the UK parliament, as parliament will be dissolved and MPs will be out campaigning in their constituencies (British English for parliamentary districts).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom