Royal Emerald Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It looks emerald to me--I love that necklace! Those earrings are really beautiful, too.

the 2 pictures shows the vladimir emeralds tha purchassed at an auction a very rich woman froma america named huton. the third is a necklace that belonged to Cathrine the Great of Russia and the last is a russian necklace.

My birthstone is emerald, so I'm hopelessly biased towards emeralds. When I think of best emerald tiara- Queen Sonja's comes to mind, first and foremost. To me, it is perfect in every way!

the 2 pictures shows the vladimir emeralds tha purchassed at an auction a very rich woman froma america named huton. the third is a necklace that belonged to Cathrine the Great of Russia and the last is a russian necklace.
That would be Barbara Hutton, the Woolworths and EF Hutton heiress?

Barbara Hutton had an incredible collection of jewels especially emeralds. You can see some pics on Gettyimages.com.(still can't post).....

Thank you noldorlord, i'd never seen that link before.......amazing!

Try this link but i have never seen the Cathrine the great neaklace in colour set the way it is in this image at: www.internetstones.com/barbara-hutton-marie-a...:ermm:
As far as I know, the emeralds do not go back to Catherine the Great though, but to Grand Duchess Vladimir of Russia (as also stated in the accompanying text).
After being set first in Hutton's necklace, then in her tiara, the emeralds were sold by Barbara Hutton; part of the stones are today set in Elizabeth Taylor's magnificent emerald suite, created by Bulgari in the 1960s.

I believe I read she had to give the emeralds from the tiara to her last husband, Raymond Doan for payment so as not to get divorced as she was out of money. I didn't know they were part of E Taylors emerald suite, which is simply breathtaking!Thanks for the info Boris.

I believe I read she had to give the emeralds from the tiara to her last husband, Raymond Doan for payment so as not to get divorced as she was out of money. I didn't know they were part of E Taylors emerald suite, which is simply breathtaking!Thanks for the info Boris.
No they are not part of the Elizabeth Taylor Emerald & Diamond necklace, by Bulgarimid in the mid 60s.

The Hutton Emerald neacklace was one of the last to be given away?? (no real record) before her death 1979
The most important historical necklace owned by Barbara Hutton, that later came into the possession of Edith Rockefeller McCormick. Barbara Hutton purchased the Romanov emeralds, also known as the Vladimir emeralds, from Cartier around 1935. She is reported to have given the emerald necklace to her seventh husband, Prince Pierre Raymond Doan, whom she married in 1964, and the necklace was probably disposed by him after their separation. These emeralds were also used by Barbara Hutton set on a tiara designed by Lucien Lachassagne and made by Cartier in 1947. A photograph of this tiara appears in Geoffrey Munn's book, "Tiaras, A History of Splendor." and still worn by BH in the photo dated 1966

No they are not part of the Elizabeth Taylor Emerald & Diamond necklace, by Bulgarimid in the mid 60s.

The Hutton Emerald neacklace was one of the last to be given away?? (no real record) before her death 1979
May I ask what your sources are?
The book about Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry provides very detailed information and is specific about the smaller of the Vladimir emeralds, formerly set in Hutton's necklace, later Hutton's tiara, being purchased by Bulgari and used for Taylor's emerald necklace, which was finished and added to a set already including earrings, bracelet, brooch and ring, in 1967.

the smaller of the Vladimir emeralds, formerly set in Hutton's necklace, later Hutton's tiara.

The smaller of the Stones?.. The original Vladimir emerald necklace consisted of 10 stones the Hutton Necklace / Tiara had only 7.
Edith Rockefeller McCormick, sold the emeralds( necklace was broken up by executers) to Cartier around 1935. Cartier remodeled for BH. Please see Cartier By Hans Nadelhoffer. I don’t have a publication date but thing it was around 2001. So the ET (Vladimir emeralds) may not be part of the BH set, as we are now short 3 stones. Do you have any ideas?
You will have to wait for me to get back home, so that I can go through my copy of the Taylor jewels, unless I can get my hand on one in Germany.

The book about Elizabeth Taylor's jewelry provides very detailed information and is specific about the smaller of the Vladimir emeralds, formerly set in Hutton's necklace, later Hutton's tiara, being purchased by Bulgari and used for Taylor's emerald necklace, which was finished and added to a set already including earrings, bracelet, brooch and ring, in 1967.

Thanks for waiting, I am back home and have searched the book page by page. I cannot find reference to “the smaller of the Vladimir emeralds, formerly set in Hutton's necklace, later Hutton's tiara” I do have “some times referred to as the grand duchess vladimir suit” I have the Italian edition printed 2002. Can you help please?:ermm:

I'm still not sure what to think of Raina's emerald tiara.

I'm still not sure what to think of Raina's emerald tiara.

You don't have to think too much, the tiara was broken up shortly after Rania wore it. I believe it was a loan to the Queen.:) I liked it because it was so colorful and unique.

Here is the emerald and diamond necklace which forms part of Queen Mary's emerald parure.
Source: 'The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II" by Leslie Field

Ladies of India Necklace with Cullinan VI drop

LadiesofIndiaNecklaceCullinanVIa.jpg

Breathtakingly beautiful.
I love emeralds - owing an emerald ring on my own - but of course not to compary with this one.

An interesting article in Point de vue of this week about the Emeralds of Maria Teresa , Grand-Duchess of Luxembourg. The article is written by the excellent Vincent Meylan.

Very interesting & yes "yummy"- does the mention that it was offered 30 years ago mean it didn't reach its reserve price/was withdrawn?

This really made my day. Super gorgeous...thank you!

Emeralds!

:previous:
Described in the video as "formerly in the collection of Princess Katharina Henckel von Donnersmarck (d 1929).
The tiara contains 11 exceptionally rare and perfectly matched Colombian emeralds of over 500 carats and a band containing yellow cushion diamonds.
It was probably made by Chaumet in 1897-1900.
The emeralds are most likely from the personal collection of the Empress Eugénie.
It is likely that earlier on the emeralds were in the possession of an Indian Maharaja."
Sotheby's estimate is US$5-10 million.

v two screen shots
Princess Katharina Henckel von Donnersmarck diamond and emerald tiara

Attachments

• Henckel von Donnersmarck Princess Katharina Sothebys.jpg
    Henckel von Donnersmarck Princess Katharina Sothebys.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 270
  • Henckel von Donnersmarck Princess Katharina Sothebys 2011a.jpg
    Henckel von Donnersmarck Princess Katharina Sothebys 2011a.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 245
Last edited:
It is beautiful, it's a shame that the tiara was constructed in a way that the hardware can be see through the emeralds.:bang:

it's a shame that the tiara was constructed in a way that the hardware can be see through the emeralds.:bang:

This is true, but think of it this way - it probably also limits what can be done with the stones. It shouldn't hold much appeal to jewelers looking to break it down for the stones. They can't recut them and add facets because there is a hole through the stones.

Back
Top Bottom