Queen Margrethe II announces Abdication for January 14, 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in shock, I really thought she would follow the "old-school" route. I can't help but feel sad, that last Queen Regnant, but I know Frederick and Mary will do her and Denmark proud.

A world without a single Queen Regnant. :cry:

There are no coronstions anymore in Denmark since the 1840's most likely hecwill be proclaimed King from the Balckny of Christiansborg like his mother and his grandfather

Since there is no precedent in modern times, I believe no one really knows what the abdication ritual will entail.

Has the Queen's post-abdication title been announced yet? I assume that, like King Juan Carlos and King Albert, she will be able to keep the honorary title of Queen with the style of Majesty although there might not be provisions to that end in the Danish constitution.

Last edited:
Wow!! What a surprise!! Congratulations to His Majesty King Frederik and Queen Mary!

Well, now Frederik and Mary will be the next reigning couple, I guess that they will a tour to the Nordic neighbours

What will change for Prince Joachim and his Children now the King of Denmark is his Brother ?

From Parliment.
https://www.stm.dk/presse/pressemeddelelser/hendes-majestaet-dronningen-abdicerer/

Her Majesty Queen Margrethe II has decided to abdicate the throne. The abdication will take place on 14 January 2024, which is the 52nd anniversary of the Queen's accession to the throne.

At the same time, His Royal Highness Crown Prince Frederik will take over the throne as His Majesty King Frederik 10. After a meeting in the Council of State, the Prime Minister will proclaim the change of throne at Christiansborg Castle.

Queen Margrethe II took over the throne on 14 January 1972 after her father, King Frederik IX, upon his death.

After the change of throne, the Queen will continue to be titled as Her Majesty.

She is a brave woman to quit.
She sits to greet guests; maybe her health is not perfect now and she's getting out to give herself a break. I agree with her there.
So, I hope she enjoys her retirement.

I guess Mary will continue to use the ruby Parure like Queen Ingrid did. Perhaps she will hand it over to the new Crown Princess once Christian marries

Well that would seem the sensible thing to do. I wonder what will happen jewel wise going forwards if Margarethe continues to attend tiara events. Will she still have first dibs on the jewels she has always worn or does she then defer to Mary? I am personally looking forward to seeing Mary in the Crown emeralds as I think her dark hair will look wonderful with them.

I would think that she would be referred to as Queen Margrethe and Mary would be Her Majesty the Queen.
Hoping the Queen and her sisters can get some much needed rest and quiet time together since they are all widows.

I think it would so lovely for the three sister Royal widows to have some time on a holiday.

And I hope she doesn't become known as "Emeritus " anything. I always associate that term with academia.

I really hate seeing Royals and popes called Emerita; I can't explain why it irritates me so.

Simply call her Queen Margrethe, the way Queen Fabiola was referred to when Paola was Queen of the Belgians.;)

Everyone will understand that Mary is the actual Queen Consort.

Does anyone think that Marie and Joachim might move back to Denmark to take on more duties and help F&M ?

Well that would seem the sensible thing to do. I wonder what will happen jewel wise going forwards if Margarethe continues to attend tiara events. Will she still have first dibs on the jewels she has always worn or does she then defer to Mary? I am personally looking forward to seeing Mary in the Crown emeralds as I think her dark hair will look wonderful with them.

I guess Queen Margrethe will no longer attend state dinners to avoid overshadowing her son and daughter-in-law, but that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
At last the emerald Parure and the Pearl Poiree tiara with it's matching Set will go to Mary as they are for the Queen. But there are ones who ard privately owned by Margrethe

Wow, I am shocked. I thought it was for her, "for life". And in TWO WEEKS ! That's A LOT of preparation that needs to get done. Unlike a unexpected death.
That being said, it *seems* to me to be a VERY recent decision. Had this, and ALL it entails been in the works, would The Family have gone to Australia and New Zealand ? Especially Frederik ? To me, no.

Well Frederik will have all the responsibility on his shoulders now. Fortunately he has the perfect asset, Mary as his Queen and partner.
Hope he is as committed and competent as Queen Margarethe.

I guess Queen Margrethe will no longer attend state dinners to avoid overshadowing her son and daughter-in-law, but that remains to be seen.

I think if she is fit she will attend, why wouldn't she? Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in the UK always did.

Wow, I am shocked. I thought it was for her, "for life". And in TWO WEEKS ! That's A LOT of preparation that needs to get done. Unlike a unexpected death.
That being said, it *seems* to me to be a VERY recent decision. Had this, and ALL it entails been in the works, would The Family have gone to Australia and New Zealand ? Especially Frederik ? To me, no.

Well Frederik will have all the responsibility on his shoulders now. Fortunately he has the perfect asset, Mary as his Queen and partner.

I can't possibly imagine that Frederik was not aware of her mother's intention to abdicate before it was publically announced.

It's all a bit suspect. I wonder if she feels that Frederick's life was starting to drift a bit, after the recent revelations, and that becoming King will give him a new focus.

Last edited:
What will change for Prince Joachim and his Children now the King of Denmark is his Brother ?

Can't see any change being needed.

Christian and Mary can step in as Rigsforstander, so can Benedikte and even QMII in an emergency.

Well, now Frederik and Mary will be the next reigning couple, I guess that they will a tour to the Nordic neighbours

Yes, my guess will be their first outgoing state visit to take place in the autumn.

But they will also go for a tour of the realm. I.e. the summer cruises with Dannebrog and no doubt a visit to Greenland and the Faeroe Islands during the spring.

I think if she is fit she will attend, why wouldn't she? Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother in the UK always did.
And Princess Beatrix still does.

But the Queen Mother was a queen dowager, not a queen emerita, which is a different dynamics.

Other queens emerita like Sofia and Paola stopped attending state dinners. Princess Beatrix still attends, but she no longer bears the title of queen.

Yes, my guess will be their first outgoing state visit to take place in the autumn.

But they will also go for a tour of the realm. I.e. the summer cruises with Dannebrog and no doubt a visit to Greenland and the Faeroe Islands during the spring.

That will be exciting. It has been awhile without a summer cruise for Frederik and Mary

But there is the difference, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother was a consort not a Queen Regnant like her daughter Queen Elizabeth II. so the Queen Mother wasn't going to upstage the QEII.

Apart from being Denmark's first de jure female monarch, Queen Margrethe II's strength of character, charisma, individuality, and outstanding intellectual and cultural accomplishments have earned her a place in history, and the 50th anniversary milestone is well deserved.

I too hope that she made this decision freely and proudly, that she will enjoy a satisfying retirement with as much of a public role as she wishes, and that the Danish public will continue to feel well-served by their monarchy during the next reign.

Interesting that according to HM, she began contemplating this after her back surgery in February, so it took her less than a year to reach her decision. I wonder what exactly about the surgery led her thoughts to abdication?

I apologize in advance if these questions have been addressed as I haven't had time to read through the entire thread carefully, but: Will the Queen retain her regnal number after abdication or become plain Queen Margrethe without the "II"? Will there be a change of residences for her or the new king and queen?

Posts discussing possible abdications in other countries have been removed as off-topic for this thread. Thank you for your understanding!

This is truly a surprise but she clearly has been contemplating the end of her reign since at least about 2 years ago. Her decisions on the change of titles for Joachim's children were made by her so that Frederik wouldn't have to do it during his reign (and went into effect a year ago). Clearly her declining health played into this decision but her surpassing the duration of the longest reigning monarch of Denmark and the coming of age of her heir's heir may also have played a part in the timing.

And how lovely for the crown princely family (minus Christian) that they were able to squeeze in a visit to Mary's family before this big life changing event is taking place.

Last edited:
That was shocking! I am both sad and happy for her, if she came to this decision on her own, which I think she did. I also think the signs were there. I like the tradition of reigning until death, but I believe in freedom of choice more. Good luck and health to her and to the next King and Queen.

Mbruno, I only meant that perhaps QM made her decision over the course of the last few weeks is all.
Maybe finalized it over Christmas Weekend.

Of course Frederik knew prior to the Announcement. Question is, when did QM make her final decision.

Sophie 25 COMPLETELY AGREE. I believe that entirely !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom