Queen Louise (1889-1965)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(..) It’s quite a well-known fact that she used her “veteran’s language” (picked up by people who’d been wounded on the front lines) from time to time, and it would indeed have been some of her “rough French”.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one of the reasons why the name of Louise wasn't 'Swedified' in 1923 was that by then Swedes had became more familiar with 'foreign' looking/sounding names than they were in 1905, when Margaret became Margareta.
Think of the cinema, and and all those movie stars, and starlets, and all articles written about them. Their names wasn't changed in the papers, so why should the name of the new crown princess be changed?
I was born in the early fifties and had two friends by the name of Louise, and one named Marie-Louise. Rather common name among "boomers". Lovisa would've sounded terribly old fashioned in our ears at the time. :giggle:

(..) It’s quite a well-known fact that she used her “veteran’s language” (picked up by people who’d been wounded on the front lines) from time to time, and it would indeed have been some of her “rough French”.
The Queen famously charmed President De Gaulle with her old-fashioned army patois and stories about her time spent working behind the front in France.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Queen famously charmed President De Gaulle with her old-fashioned army patois and stories about her time spent working behind the front in France.
It’s funny to think the same man was charmed by a Queen acting like an ordinary soldier and by an American who was more polished and aristocratic than many a European noble.

Louise and Jackie Kennedy were both highly intelligent and great to have dinner with, but I’m not sure if there’s a lot to link them other than CDG (although I suppose what he liked both times was the devotion to France).

It’s funny to think the same man was charmed by a Queen acting like an ordinary soldier and by an American who was more polished and aristocratic than many a European noble.

Louise and Jackie Kennedy were both highly intelligent and great to have dinner with, but I’m not sure if there’s a lot to link them other than CDG (although I suppose what he liked both times was the devotion to France).
Men like President De Gaulle were most often putty in the hands of women who had the right amount of breeding and brains.

Back
Top Bottom