Queen Ingrid Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew about the Khedive of Egypt tiara, the Baden-palmette and the Star tiara, but I have never heard about the turquoise bandeau. What does it look like and do you know the history or any other information about it?
:daneflag::king::queen::swedenflag:

Sorry i don't know about the history. it is a bandeau of small daises like Mette-Marit's Wedding tiara. Queen Margrethe has worn it not often. there was a photos on the Website about the danish Royal Jewels by Glenn but on the current Version it is not there.

I'm not sure there is a full-fledged family trust, like there is in the Netherlands. Generally, the princesses are 'given' a tiara to wear, and that is it. Margrethe has multiple tiaras, and they will transfer to the next queen.

There is a Foundation which was founded by Queen Lovisa, née Princess of Sweden. She had many Jewels and put some of them in a foundation. One of them is the small floral tiara, which was often worn by Queen Margrethe in the 70's and early 80's.
I don't know what jewels are in it, but i have read once that also the Orange-nassau Pearl tiara and the rest of the Pearl jewellry and the big floral tiara is in it. I think it would be a better solution to let the put the tiaras in the foundation and let the Princesses wear the smaller of them. So you have not to buy a new tiara for each new Princess.
And Margrethe has not so many tiaras. If they are divided among Frederik and Joachim there will not bne too much left for the next Queen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big floral tiara is not in the foundation - it is the private proberty of MII. She was given the tiara by har mother in the mid 80 and wore it for the first time at the return dinner at Nationalmuseum Stockholm during the danish statevisit to Sweden. Queen Ingrid was presented with the tiara from an unknown american in the mid 60...

:flowers:

Queen Ingrid' s photos are truly mesmerising. I can only imagine how much more she must be in person. Many thanks Josephine...

My favourite jewels are the ruby tiara, necklace and earings,. The ones that CP Mary wears at the moment. Do those jewels have a name?
:flowers:

:previous:
Stefan has provided a history of the ruby parure's provenance on the first page of this thread.

Thank you very much warren for letting me know.

And thank you Stefan for the history. I had always thought that those jewels had come to Denmark with Queen Ingrid. :flowers:

Yes they came from Sweden, Ingrid was the King of Sweden only daughter. She inherited as well jewels from her mother born Princess of Connaught.
The same happened in Norway too. Princess Ingeborg of Sweden gave her tiara to her daughter Cown Princess Märtha of Norway.
This is explaned in a very interesting video about Queen Sonja's jewels in her tread.

That is indeed how the Danish RF ended up with some pieces from Sweden, however the story of the Ruby parure is different. It ended up in Sweden with Queen Louise of Denmark, born princess of Sweden, daughter of king Carl XV of Sweden & Norway and princess Louise of The Netherlands. I imagine that some jewels inherited by princess Ingeborg/princess Martha also travelled this route.

ACtually fromm the tiaras Ingrid brought with her to Denmark only the Baden heart tiara and the small turiqiose bandeau remained in Denmarl. The other went to Anne-Marie and Benedikte. From the peieces Queen Lovisa brought with the diamond and pearl set and the rubys remained in Denmark. And the big diamond tiara went to Prince Gustav and from him to Crown Princess Märtha.

Thanks Marengo for your explanation how the ruby parure ended up in Sweden .

I was pondering over the turquoise bandeau which Queen Margrethe lately wore in Vietnam. It was an heirloom from her mother Queen Ingrid and supposedly was originally a gift to Margaret of Connaugth from her parents. Some time ago I found these photos of a bride wearing this bandeau. It was supposed to be Queen Ingrid:
http://inlinethumb51.webshots.com/40370/2399679720105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/4181/2169667610105578647S600x600Q85.jpg

This puzzles me, because the lady somehow doesn't look like Queen Ingrid (who's eyebrows had a very distinctive and different line). Also the bride in this photo looks much more like her: http://inlinethumb25.webshots.com/43224/2835174200105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
Can anybody please identify who is who, and what is the history of the little crown worn by the 2nd bride?
Many thanks in advance:flowers:

P.S. I hope you can see the pictures now. This was my first try with webshots!

Tilla, the bride in your three pictures is that of Queen Ingrid or Princess Ingrid as she was at her wedding. I don't know the history of the small crown, perhaps Stefan can fill us in.:)

The first two photos, Ingrid (then Princess of Sweden) is not the bride. This photo, princess in court dress. Today they no longer carry the royal lady of Sweden. The photo still quite a young princess.
The last photo Princess Ingrid has a fiancee. A little crown on her head - it myrtle crown. This is a very touching story. Princess Margaret of Connaught, the mother of Ingrid, when she married brought with me to Sweden little myrtle tree and planted it in Sofero (summer residence of the Swedish royal family). In memory of Princess Margaret who died early in many Swedish princess wore at her wedding crown from the leaves of the myrtle tree. One of the first was Princess Margaretha, sister of Crown Princess Martha of Norway and Queen Astrid of Belgium. She wore a crown in 1919. Astrid - in 1926, Martha - in 1929, Ingrid - in 1935.
</SPAN>

Thank you very much for your well informed answers! The story about the myrtle crown is very interesting indeed. Queen Ingrid, or Princess Ingrid, was a very beautiful and elegant lady, and she carried her jewellery very well.

Thank you very much. Are they danish or swedish in origin? :flowers:

The Ruby Parure is actually French.

The French Marshall Jean Baptiste Bernadotte (the future king Carl XIV Johan of Sweden) gave the parure to his wife Desirèe as wedding anniversary gift and she wore the parure to Napoleon's coronation in 1804.

Sorry, but I have long been interested in one question. At David's famous painting "The Coronation of Napoleon" is depicted Désirée Clary or not? If yes, where? It is interesting to look at the Desire in this parure

I am not quite sure if Desirée is visible in the picture or not but I will try to find out for you. I'll get back when I have checked a book about David's paintings.
The myrtle crown...
I would like to add that all Swedish royal brides after Ingrid, with the exception of Louise Mountbatten when she married Crown Prince Gustav Adolf, have worn leaves from the myrtle tree at Sofiero, ursually in their wedding bouquet but also in the hair although not as a crown.

Queen Ingrid planted a cutting from the Sofiero tree at Grasten Castle in the southern part of Jutland and the Danish royal brides wear leaves from this tree at their weddings.

Just a little bit of triva.:flowers:

Wow, I have been wondering about those little trees on the back of the swedish princesses head, and even asked about it a while ago on the forums, in Queen Astrid's wedding/jewellery forum. Thanks for answering an old question.

Queen Ingrid of Denmark at the Persepolis celeberations, Iran, 1971:
All the tiaras on those links look stunning. :)
Queen Ingrids is definitely the best. Has anyone got a picture of her wearing it at another event?

You could try the pictures on page one of this thread for starters.

I think these two pictures of Queen Ingrid wearing the floral aigrette tiara which Queen Margrethe wears so often have not been posted here.
http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/22869/2629886710105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/14925/2153854590105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
From the photos I found she wore: the emerald parure, the pearl parure, the ruby parure, the floral aigrette, the daisy bandeau with the turquoises and the Khedive tiara. Did I miss anything? Did she never wear the Baden palmette tiara or does anyone have photos of this? And what about the tiaras Princess Benedikte inherited. Were they ever worn by Queen Ingrid?

This is Queen Alexandrine wearing the ruby tiara in it's original version. http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/45219/2912838990105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
I hope it's ok to post it here since I did not find a more appropriate thread.

I have seen somewhere a photo of a young Ingrid wearing the tiara with Stars and pearls spikes Princess Benedikte inherited. The floral tiara of Benedikte was made for her from 3 brooches so it was never worn by Ingrid.

Tilia C., to answr your question - No, Queen Ingrid never wore the Baden palmette tiara. A few days ago I came across a tiny photo of Queen Ingrid with the star tiara that belonged to Queen Sofia of Sweden and as soon as I remember where I'll post a link.
About the floral tiara of Princess Benedikte - I've never seen anyone in The DRF wearing it, so maybe it was bought for her or created from odds and ends like the tiara Queen Anne Marie received.
BTW, does anyone know when Queen Ingrid gave Princess Benedikte the star tiara?

Bobby

Queen Ingrid - Khedive tiara

Courtesy of: Bakom Kulisserna
Pic not subject to copyright
Queen Ingrid - the Cartier Khedive tiara

JewelsQueenIngridCartierKhedivetiar.jpg

Queen Igrid had 10 grandchildren,5 by Anne-Marie (Greek), 3 by Benedikte (German), and 2 by Margrethe,
Frederik got the beautiful ruby set
what did the other 9 grandchildren receive ??
Joachim - Pavlos,Alexia,Nikolaos,Theodora,Philippos - Gustav,Alexasndra,Nathalie?????????????????

Frederik got given the ruby set because his wife would be the future Queen of Denmark.
Each female grandchild, and the two other daughters have recieved numerous tiara's not all from the danish royal family.

Back
Top Bottom