Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 5: March-June 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More pics of the Windsor Horse Show:

Attachments

• 52802142.jpg
    52802142.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 173
  • 52802159.jpg
    52802159.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 52802181.jpg
    52802181.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 177
  • 52802217.jpg
    52802217.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 52802275.jpg
    52802275.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 52802286.jpg
    52802286.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 212
  • 52801824.jpg
    52801824.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 134
Royal Windsor Horse Show today The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh:

Attachments

• Resize of 52817660.jpg
    Resize of 52817660.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Resize of 52817736.jpg
    Resize of 52817736.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Resize of 52817706.jpg
    Resize of 52817706.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 169
  • Resize of 52817661.jpg
    Resize of 52817661.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 118
  • Resize of 52817580.jpg
    Resize of 52817580.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 131
  • Resize of 52817578.jpg
    Resize of 52817578.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 202
  • Resize of 52817548.jpg
    Resize of 52817548.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 178
I'm anxious to see the dressage results.

A picture from yesterday:
The Queen strikes her horse, March Past II, which came fourth in its class showing.

Attachments

• windsor show.jpg
    windsor show.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 172
I think today Her Majesty would wear an outfit and hat today.Oftenly on the third day of Royal Windsor Horse how,i remember Her Majesty will wear hat with outfit.

Royal Windsor Horse Show - Day Three

Attachments

• 52822996.jpg
    52822996.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 142
  • 52823308.jpg
    52823308.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 169
  • 52823307.jpg
    52823307.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 127
  • 52823165.jpg
    52823165.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 52823161.jpg
    52823161.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 52823140.jpg
    52823140.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 145
  • 52823129.jpg
    52823129.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 145
  • 52823008.jpg
    52823008.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 149
  • 52823006.jpg
    52823006.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 52822990.jpg
    52822990.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 149
The Queen's pony, Balmoral Jingle, came first in the Ridden Mountain and Moorland event today, 14 May.

Adorable!

Attachments

• Balmoral Jingle, Windsor show winner, 14 May 2005.jpg
    Balmoral Jingle, Windsor show winner, 14 May 2005.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 172
From BBC News:

_41143803_rolfpa_203.jpg

Queen grants Rolf royal portrait

The Queen is to have her portrait painted by Rolf Harris as part of her 80th birthday celebrations.

She will have a formal sitting with the Australian entertainer for a Rolf on Art special for BBC One. Harris said he was "thrilled to bits".

When the BBC put the idea to Buckingham Palace, they were told the Queen would be delighted to take part.

She will celebrate her 80th birthday next April and the show will go out later this year or in early 2006.

More than 120 official portraits of the Queen have been painted during her life.

Harris said his oil painting would be "impressionistic" rather than "photographic".

He hoped it would also be "representational of the way the Queen looks and her obvious charm and friendly quality, rather than the very formal", he added.

"I want to get the real person rather than the state image," said Harris, who has been made an MBE and OBE.

BBC One controller Peter Fincham said the programme would be "a unique television event".

"It's a huge coup for the BBC to be able to show Rolf painting such a great supporter of the arts, the Queen," he said.

"We're delighted that permission has been granted - it's a painting everyone will want to see."

Rolf on Art began in 2001, breaking the record for the highest audience for a visual arts programme. There have been four series so far.

Some have praised the show for making art accessible but it has been criticised by others who say it is a sign that the BBC has "dumbed down" its arts coverage.

Harris, who trained as a fine artist, has also fronted shows including Animal Hospital, Cartoon Time and Rolf's Cartoon Club.

He became a household name in the 1960s after successful forays into the pop charts with songs including Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport, Sun Arise and Two Little Boys.

... Here's two pictures from the Windsor Horse Show yesterday ... the Queen looks - well there's no other way to describe it - happy and glorious! She always seems her most relaxed at the horse show!

Photos from hellomagazine.com

Attachments

• windsor-dop2a.jpg
    windsor-dop2a.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 238
  • windsor-dop3a.jpg
    windsor-dop3a.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 283
Yes,Suidgy,So beautiful Her Majesty.Thanks you lots.But it's unpity that there are no pics of Her Majesty at Windsor Horse Show on May 15th from Getty or Corbis.

From Rex Features:

Attachments

• 523101j.jpg
    523101j.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 445
  • 523101l.jpg
    523101l.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 453
  • 523101k.jpg
    523101k.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 452
  • 523077c.jpg
    523077c.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 473
  • 523077b.jpg
    523077b.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 443
Anyone see pics from other photo agencies?I saw from London International Features but we have to register.

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Yes,Suidgy,So beautiful Her Majesty.Thanks you lots.But it's unpity that there are no pics of Her Majesty at Windsor Horse Show on May 15th from Getty or Corbis.

Hi HMQueenElizabethII. Yes, hopefully we'll see some pictures from May 15th. Maybe the photographic databases are just slow in loading them because of the weekend. Thank you for your lovely pictures.

Yes,i also hope so because last week when The Queen visited Jersey to attend liberation Celebrations there on Monday first Getty and Corbis did not have any pics but on Tuesday night i saw lots of pics of the visit.Hope so,Getty already has lots of beautiful pics of the 3 days why they would not ahve pics on 15th May.

Squidgy said:
Hi HMQueenElizabethII. Yes, hopefully we'll see some pictures from May 15th. Maybe the photographic databases are just slow in loading them because of the weekend. Thank you for your lovely pictures.
Now it's already Wednesday but there are still no pics of Windsor Horse Show on 15th May from Getty or Corbis,i think they would not have any pics.It's a little bit pity.The pics on 15th May are really lovely and beautiful.:(

Yes, it's a pity. And it was the day the Queen was better dressed.

Singapore says Britain's Queen Elizabeth II will visit in March 2006
Britain's Queen Elizabeth II will visit Singapore March 16-18 next year, her first trip to the city-state in nearly two decades, the government in Singapore said Wednesday.

"President Nathan has officially invited the Queen to make a State visit to Singapore during these dates," an unidentified spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement.

"We look forward to receiving Her Majesty and the Duke of Edinburgh again in Singapore after the 17 years, when Her Majesty last visited Singapore in 1989," he said.

Thanks for the info HMQueenElizabethII! Gosh it already looks like the Queen will have a busy year abroad in 2006 - Australia and now Singapore!

BTW, did you ever find any more pictures from the Windsor Horse Show on May 15th? I am counting on you to find some, you know!:)

Squidgy said:
Thanks for the info HMQueenElizabethII! Gosh it already looks like the Queen will have a busy year abroad in 2006 - Australia and now Singapore!

BTW, did you ever find any more pictures from the Windsor Horse Show on May 15th? I am counting on you to find some, you know!:)
I'm still finding too Suidgy.I really hope Getty or Corbis have some and pics of the visit to Canada but there are no pics yet!:(

She will be in Malta in november and in Singapore next year. It's nice that she doesn't forget these little coutries. :)

"their lives could not have been more different"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050520.wroyals21/BNStory/National/

... He has spent it almost entirely in his wife's shadow, the consort to the Queen, yet in private he is often said to rule himself, a harsh disciplinarian to their four children and thought to be no great fan of his own son Charles, first in line for the throne. He is said to prefer his daughter and once told an aide, "If only Charles had Anne's balls." He is, like Elizabeth, a great-great-grandchild of Queen Victoria, but their lives could not have been more different before they married in 1947.

He was born a Greek prince, but into poverty, and soon forced into exile. His parents divorced. Penniless, he was raised by the charity of relatives in England and Germany, his German ties so strong during his youth that the Queen Mother liked to refer to him as "The Hun."

And yet he served with distinction in the British navy, the young Philip a strikingly handsome naval officer with a roving eye that, gossip has always had it, continued to wander long after he won the heart of a very young Elizabeth. And yet, despite the rumours, he has never really been nailed for anything but a mouth that sometimes runs off on its own.

Nearing 84, the man they used to call "Phil the Greek" has, somewhat surprisingly, come himself to symbolize stability, the Queen calling him "my strength and stay" when they celebrated their golden anniversary in 1997.

He is where he has always been, two steps behind, as fiercely determined to protect the office as the one who holds it herself.

A tall, elegant man with unusual eyes and unpredictable mouth.

Nice article.

"If only Charles had Anne's balls".

Poor Charles... or poor Anne? :rolleyes:

check it out on telegraph articles if im mistakes!

t.gif
t.gif
Queen will lead nation in wartime celebration
By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
(Filed: 26/05/2005)

The last major commemorations to remember the sacrifices made during the Second World War were unveiled yesterday.

mpu_ad.gif

8521;0.9051580503522159

track.gif

if(command.indexOf('tz')!=-1)eval(command);The Queen will host the 60th anniversary on July 10, which has been declared National Commemoration Day.

For the first time since being moored in the Thames, Belfast will fire a 12-gun salvo to signal the start of two minutes' silence in memory of the 300,000 soldiers, sailors and airmen who lost their lives.

The day, which has been chosen to celebrate both VE and VJ Day, will finish with a Lancaster bomber dropping a million poppies over The Mall.

With many veterans well into their eighties, John Reid, the Defence Secretary, said yesterday that there would not be celebrations on this "form or scale again".

The week-long events will begin with the Prince of Wales opening a living museum, which will include re-enactments of wartime life, in St James Park on July 4. The Mall will be lined with more than 30 wartime vehicles and an exhibition of war-inspired art will go on display at Banqueting House.

To celebrate the part played by women, a flight of aircraft piloted by females will conduct a flypast as the Queen unveils a monument to women of the Second World War next to the Thames.

After a service of remembrance at Westminster on the Sunday, the Queen will host a lunch for 2,000 veterans at the Palace. Other commemorations will take place in Edinburgh, Belfast and Cardiff.

An "open air spectacular" in Horse Guards Parade will feature appearances by Robert Hardy, Simon Callow, Jane Horrocks, Bruce Forsyth and Claire Sweeney and military bands.

The Queen will also address the nation before the two minutes' silence.

The Royal Family will then watch a flypast of Second World War aircraft from the palace balcony. Finally, church bells throughout the country will be rung as a further mark of respect.

bullet.gif
25 May 2005: Queen dons waterproofs for soggy birthday party

The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh's next engagements:
Wednesday, 1st June
The Duke of Edinburgh
Master, will attend the Trinity House Younger Brethrens' Dinner at Trinity House, Tower Hill,London EC3.

Thursday 2nd June:
The Duke of Edinburgh
Master, will attend the Trinity House Annual Court, Church Service and Lunch at Trinity House, Tower Hill, London EC3.

Saturday 4th June:
The Queen & The Duke of Edinburgh will attend the Epsom Derby

Monday 6th June:
The Queen & The Duke of Edinburgh
Patron, and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a concert to commemorate the 60th anniversary of the end of the Second World War, given by the Royal British Legion, at Central Hall Westminster, Storey's Gate, London SW1

The Duke of Edinburgh
Senior Fellow of The Royal Academy of Engineering, will present the 2005 MacRobert Award and The Prince Philip Medal at Buckingham Palace

Tuesday 7th June:
The Duke of Edinburgh
Patron of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, will visit Plas y Brenin Activity Centre to celebrate their 50th Anniversary, in Conwy, Wales.
The Duke of Edinburgh
Patron, will attend the Gallipoli Associations' 90th Anniversary Reception at St. James's Palace

Wednesday 8th June
The Queen & The Duke of Edinburgh
Visitor, and The Duke of Edinburgh, Patron, will attend the Quincentenary Year celebrations at Christ's College, Cambridge.

Thursday 9th June:
The Queen
will attend a reception to celebrate the 25th anniversary of Co-operation Ireland, at Crosby Hall, Cheyne Walk, London SW3.
The Duke of Edinburgh
will visit Cambridge and formally open the County Council and District Council buildings.

The Duke of Edinburgh
Founder and Patron of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association will hold the 18th Annual Dinner of the World Fellowship at St. James's Palace.

check it out on Mirror newspaper articles

QUEEN: LIVERPOOL VICTORY IS A GREAT FEAT
THE Queen yesterday called the win a "magnificent achievement which will be remembered for many years".

The monarch, told of the result after returning from Canada, passed congratulations to the club via the city's Lord Lieutenant.

Tony Blair said: "Liverpool can be very proud of itself. Britain is very proud of Liverpool."

Liverpool fan Michael Howard, who had said the Tories' election task was like having to claw back a 2-0 half-time deficit, said: "It was a magnificent night.

Advertisement

"It shows you can indeed be 3-0 down at half-time and still win."

check it out on mirror articles

QUEEN'S NO NO TO HUMPH
By Richard Smith
RADIO inquisitor John Humphrys twice asked the Queen for an interview - and got an emphatic No.

The BBC presenter had been invited to a lunch at Buckingham Palace and thought "this may be my chance to ask her".

Over coffee later, he met the Queen's "dorgies" - which she told him were a cross between dachshunds and corgis.

He recalled: "While we were having a conversation, one of those wretched dorgies was trying to make love to my left leg.

Advertisement

"I asked the Queen if she would do an interview with me. She looked up at me and said 'No'.

"I tried again. I offered a reasonable argument, I thought, but after a quarter of a second she looked up again and said 'No'.

"And she added, 'What's more, Mr Humphrys, if one were ever to do such an interview, it would not be with you'."

Humphrys, talking at the Hay-on-Wye literary festival in Herefordshire, said: "I thought I would take that as a No then."

As i know,the Queen has never had any interview in her life.And she has reallyt privately life.But as me i do not really like that.If the Queen does not want to make an interview,don't try to let her to do and after she does not agree,go and tell the whole world about that.It's not really nice.I do not like it.

Really interesting story::)
During his battles for life and health, Dylan Stork has met some interesting people, but none more dazzling than the Queen...
[size=-1]By Bryan Alary
Globe Staff Writer[/size]
[size=-2]Tuesday May 31, 2005[/size]

38999.jpg
[size=-1]Central Alberta’s newest monarchist, 16-year-old Dylan Stork of Blackfalds, proudly shows off a few royal mementos he collected after meeting the Queen at a centennial luncheon in Calgary on May 25.
Lacombe Globe/BRYAN ALARY
[/size]Lacombe Globe — During his battles for life and health, Dylan Stork has met some interesting people, but none more dazzling than the Queen.

Stork, a 16-year-old from Blackfalds, dined with Queen Elizabeth II and Premier Ralph Klein during a centennial luncheon at the Roundup Centre in Calgary last Wednesday.

"I was so overwhelmed," said Stork, who sat at the head table with Her Majesty. "When the Queen came in, I was just so surprised as she walked toward the table I was sitting at."

Klein personally invited Stork, a two-time heart transplant survivor, to the luncheon and royal send-off at Pengrowth Saddledome. The two had first met in April to discuss presumed consent for organ donation, which would reverse the current policy requiring signatures of willing donors on health care cards.

During his royal experience, Stork managed to calm himself long enough to chat one-on-one with the Queen.

"When she’s talking to you it’s like you’ve known her your whole life."

Naturally, he couldn’t resist the opportunity to discuss organ donation with her.

"Organ donation is my passion in life," said Stork, who was six weeks old when he received his first transplanted heart, only to develop coronary artery disease at age 11. Two years later he had his second heart transplant at Stollery Children’s Hospital in Edmonton, which he now represents as Forester’s 2005 Champion Child.

Stork said the Queen listened politely and was very attentive while he told her his life story. She also asked many questions and told stories of her own.

"She was very talkative. That’s something I didn’t imagine. When I talked to her she didn’t look away. She was very generous."

Stork’s grandmother and mother were several tables away during the luncheon.

"It was hard to sit there and not go over," said Tracy Blanchard, Stork’s mom. She said it was "surreal," seeing her son interact with royalty.

"I felt immense pride. Watching him carry on conversations with people in the positions they’re in--the Queen, the premier…"

The attention Stork has received since dining with the Queen has left him with little time to relax or reflect. The media spotlight shone bright and early the next day, May 19, when he was interviewed live on Canada AM. He skipped school to recuperate from his experiences, but the phone wouldn’t stop ringing.

More media questions, more interviews to tackle.

"My brother’s famous," remarked his older sister, Shaleen Blanchard.

The significance of the experience isn’t lost on him.

"Even when I was sitting there, I felt fortunate," said Stork. "It’s an honour to be able to come to the event and be a part of the centennial. I just have to thank Ralph Klein for the opportunity."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom