Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 18: May-October 2008

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke of Edinburgh during a Royal medals award ceremony
at the Palace of Holyroodhouse in Edinburgh, August 11, 2008

I think he looks quite good and relaxed on these pics.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

. . you see the latest polls show that Prince Harry is more popular that William, and you all know what that means. . . . :whistling:
I was waiting for someone to suggest that both Charles and William will now have to "step aside" in favour of Harry... for the good of the Monarchy of course... :D

I was waiting for someone to suggest that both Charles and William will now have to "step aside" in favour of Harry... for the good of the Monarchy of course... :D
Everyone is too scared to actually say the dreadful words . . . . . . think about it? Oh yes, it all makes sense now . . . . umm that would make him Henry the ? Oh no, saying it might make it so. You read it here first folks, D**** Mail eat your heart out, so coup d’état it is folks. :whistling:

No? Then might I suggest "Long live the Queen (and her beloved :hug:Consort )" . . . . . it's obvious her family still need her. As do we all. :flowers:

But only after a DNA-testing for paternity has been conducted and published. :D

When I read this heading I had an image of the Queen having Charles in her office while she told him that he had to arrange for his 26 year old son to get a job with some charity or other.

Then I read the article and I got a completely different idea - namely that a round table discussion has taken place about what William will do when he finishes his military service - the same sort of stories we have been getting for some time - namely that they are discussing William's future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well William will have to get a feel for the people and also get involved with his people that he will rule someday. Working in a charity is an excellent way to see what affects people most. What issues are causing the biggest impact to the country and how best he can help. I think it's a good idea.

Photographer Annie Leibovitz has lifted the lid on her infamous photoshoot with the Queen, describing the monarch as "a bit cranky"

Annie Leibovitz describes Queen as 'cranky' after BBC photoshoot - Telegraph

Only a handful of casts of the famous effigy were ever made by renowned sculptor Arnold Machin, who was hired by the Royal Mail to come up with the design for postage stamps.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ed-for-image-of-Queen-on-stamps-is-found.html

Prince Philip has asked his Savile Row tailor John Kent to change a favourite pair from the baggy style more popular in the 1950s into something more contemporary

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/265...old-trousers-altered-to-fit-latest-trend.html

Prince Philip has asked his Savile Row tailor John Kent to change a favourite pair from the baggy style more popular in the 1950s into something more contemporary
Recycling clothes is a good idea. Well done! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pic 7.9.2008

HM Queen Elizabeth II and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh after
attending Sunday morning worship with the prime minister at
Crathie Church in Scotland, UK, 07/09/2008

----> Pic

I'd be cranky and pissed off if you wanted me to pose as Zorro too.

It sounds like Annie is the one a little bit cranky and she can't let it go. You would think that she would understand that QEII has a limited amount of time and probably isn't used to a photographer trying to boss her around. Seems like Annie needs to get over it and try to stir up some publicity for herself some other way.

From what I saw of the encounter, I'm surprised Ms Leibovitz didn't create more friction. Her personality doesn't exactly seem like it is particularly compatible with the Queen's.

OK, You have to set the scene. Ms Leibovitz, a famous photographer whose use of the medium has "transended" to the rank of "Artist". All her subjects are grateful for the honour of being photographed by such a great and talented artist. She is used to calling the shots. She is in charge of her 'shoots'!

She is setting up, fussing as only an artiste can, awaiting the arrival of her subject, the Queen, an elderly woman in her mid eighties, benign, congenial, probably a bit dotty, who spends most of her time smiling, waving, cutting ribbons, and sitting on a throne. Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Enter The Queen, kitted out in full 'Order of the Garter' robes, second only in importance to her coronation robes. She is in a hurry as she is running a little late, and is fitting this 'sitting' into her very busy (read formidable) schedule, and is a little impatient to 'get on with it'.

I was thrilled to see the exchange, in full, in a documentary about the BRF that was being filmed at the time.

After a few shots "our Annie" wants the Queen to move around, this way and that . . . . and then comes the kicker, somewhat surprisingly accurately reported.
Telegraph said:
During the shoot, Leibovitz asked the Queen to remove her "crown" - actually a tiara - for a "less dressy" shot. The Queen, wearing a ceremonial robe, retorted: "Less dressy? What do you think this is?"
Her dotty subject was sharp as a tack, mildly impatient, and obviously totally underwhelmed by the "honour" being bestowed upon her. The ascerbically witty, and slightly sarcastic insult, went right over 'our Annie's' head.
I'd be cranky and pissed off if you wanted me to pose as Zorro too.
Cranky? The look the queen gave her is, I suspect, the same one she gave President George Bush (quoted by him in the same documentary) when he stumbled over a line in his speech, initially saying the Queen had helped celebrate the US bicentennial in 1776, adding 200 years to her age, at an official welcoming speech on the White house lawn.

He described the look as one only a mother would give her son for such a gaffe! :rolleyes:

Well I thought the Queen looked a bit cranky. Leibowitz had the attitude of the stereotypical abrasive New Yorker which made the situation look like oil and water.

But it all worked out in the end; the two women came up with an incredible photograph.

I still would have liked to see the Queen on a horse; not in Buckingham Palace of course. A nice paddock would have been fine. The Queen looked remarkable when she was still riding at the Trooping of the Color.

I think that this video is beautiful! It's rare to see Queen Elizabeth in cuddly and maternal poses...

Adorable! I think they should find more unseen royal footage.... ;-)

Yes very adorable. I Hope there found more unknown picture and films. And the queen as caring Mother. I think she is. :flowers:

It is harvest time on the Queen's Sandringham estate and workers are gathering apples from the 65-acre orchards on the royal fruit farm.

Royal Orchards: Harvest Time At The Queen's Sandringham Estate | UK News | Sky News
So they sell a lot of the juice? Do they keep the apples for use at Buckingham Palace? Does HM have other things she does like this? I am wondering because all of the properties she has, all the state dinners and feeding the staff, do they do a lot of that in house, so to speak? To cut costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom