Princess Kako & Prince Hisahito Current Events Part 3: October 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Corfu town today and I was suddenly aware of lots of important looking people outside the entrance to the Asiatic Museum, including a very attractive young woman. Turns out it is an official visit of Princess Kako. Unfortunately, we were driving by in a car, so couldn’t stop to take a photo.

Princess Kako's agenda on May 29:
  • visit a national institution for the deaf in Athens, where Kako participated in a sign language class for families with deaf children. She also learned some Greek sign language and was able to greet attendees.
  • travel to Corfu where she visited an orphanage before touring the city hall and old town
Photos: Getty Images, AP Images

Combined galleries: FNN, TV-Asahi

Princess Kako Visits Corfu Island During Greece Trip; Tours World Heritage Old Town - The Japan News

More photos from previous days in Greece:

May 27 at Acropolis Museum, Faneromeni Monastery:
Facebook - Ministry of Culture
Facebook album 2 - Konstantinos Sevastiadisaetos (attendee)
Facebook album 1 - Konstantinos Sevastiadisaetos

May 28 at judo club: Facebook - panellinios.gr

May 29 at National Institution for the Deaf:
Facebook - Sofia Zacharaki
Facebook - γιωργος καβουρης (attendee from sign language class)

May 29 in Corfu:
Facebook - Ministry of Tourism
Facebook - Στέφανος Πενηντάρχου Πουλημένος (Mayor of Corfu)

-----

Princess Kako's agenda for May 30:
  • ceremony marking the 125th anniversary of Japan-Greece diplomatic relations and "Year of Culture and Tourism between Japan and Greece" at the Corfu Museum of Asian Art
  • tour Corfu Museum of Asian Art. (some tourists got to meet Kako as she left)
  • dinner in Corfu, hosted by Minister of Tourism Olga Kefalogianni. Kako was presented a deluxe edition of Nikos Kazantzakis's book "Travelling to Japan" from the Greek government
  • return to Athens
  • meet Greeks who studied in Japan at a hotel
Photos: AP Images, Getty Images, FNN, Nikkansports, TV-Asahi, Facebook - Ministry of Tourism

Princess Kako ‘Feels Close Tie Between Japan, Greece’; Attending Corfu Island Event Celebrating 125th Anniversary of Relations Between Tokyo, Athens - The Japan News
[...] In her greeting speech, Princess Kako revealed that she had previously heard from her mother, Crown Princess Kiko, about her fond childhood memories of a family trip to Greece.

“I’m so happy that I’ve been able to experience the diverse attractions of Greece and feel the close tie between our countries,” Princess Kako said.

Later, the princess toured the exhibits at the museum, including a fan painting by Edo period (1603-1867) ukiyo-e artist Toshusai Sharaku.

Last edited:
On May 31st, Princess Kako left the hotel around 11:45am for Athens International Airport. Due to congestion at Heathrow Airport in the UK, the connecting flight was delayed about 45 minutes. She arrived at Tokyo's Haneda Airport after 5pm on June 1.

Departure photos: TBS, FNN

Return photos: Mainichi, Sankei, FNN

Princess Kako's schedule upon return:
  • June 3: visit Imperial Palace Sanctuaries
  • June 4: visit Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako to convey message from Greek President and report on official visit
  • June 5: children's literature awards ceremony
  • June 6: audience with US Cherry Blossom Queen and others
  • June 7: visit mausoleums of Emperor Showa and Empress Kojun to report return from official visit
Sources: TV-Asahi, TV-Asahi2

Last edited:
On the morning of June 3rd, Princess Kako visited the Imperial Palace Sanctuaries to report the completion of her official visit to Greece. She entered the palace before 10am.

Photos: FNN

On June 4th, Princess Kako visited the Imperial residence after 6pm to greet Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako. She briefed them on her official visit to Greece, staying about 90 minutes. Princess Aiko also attended.

Arrival photos: FNN, TBS

-----

On June 6th, Princess Kako met the USA 76th National Cherry Blossom Queen and others at the Akishino residence.

Photos: FNN

-----

On June 7th, Princess Kako visited the mausoleums of Emperor Showa and Empress Kojun at Musashi Imperial Graveyard in Hachioji, Tokyo. She reported the completion of her official visit to Greece.

Photos: FNN, AP Images

-----

Princess Kako attended the "Doremifa Dance Concert" in Tokyo today, June 17, and afterwards met the participants:

** Pic **

Prince Hisahito is a member of a research group that will give a poster presentation at the International Congress of Entomology (ICE 2024) on August 26 in Kyoto. This will be his first time presenting research results at an international conference.

Last November, Prince Hisahito published his first academic paper from his ecological surveys of Akasaka Estate from 2012-2022.

Source: NTV

hisahito_poster_ICE2024.jpg

I realize the IJF has a long history of academic research, but that's quite something if he's getting published as a high schooler...

He is second author, so it would be interesting to read what his specific contribution to the study was. Normally the first author carried out the research and wrote the paper and the last author is the one who had final responsibility for the study.

At a regular press conference on July 18th, Grand Steward Yasuhiko Nishimura of the Imperial Household Agency provided updates surrounding Prince Hisahito’s coming-of-age ceremony, which will be postponed to spring 2025, after high school graduation.
  • Nishimura said it would be appropriate for Prince Hisahito to attend court events and ceremonies after the ceremony
  • Thus, Prince Hisahito is not expected to attend New Year's Receptions or New Year's General Public Greetings
  • However, the prince may attend events outside the Imperial Palace, such as garden parties at Akasaka Estate, if they do not interfere with his studies
  • He will receive the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Chrysanthemum at the coming-of-age ceremony, not his birthday on September 6
  • Princes receive their order after a Cabinet meeting. The Cabinet approved the order for Crown Prince Akishino (then Prince Aya) on November 15, 1985 ahead of his birthday and coming-of-age ceremony on November 30, 1985
Sources: Asahi, TBS, FNN

Princess Kako attended the national high school equestrian championship in Gotemba in Shizuoka Prefecture today, July 25:

** gettyimages gallery **

:previous: Princess Kako attended the 13th Japan Agoonoree and inspected local sites in Fukushima Prefecture August 10-11. The agoonoree included children attending Tohoku region support schools and participants from overseas such as Hong Kong and Malaysia.
  • 13th Japan Agoonoree activities, meet scouts, helped serve curry rice for dinner, and welcome ceremony
  • Tsuruga Castle in Aizuwakamatsu City
  • Fukushima Prefectural Museum in Fukushima City
  • meet students, who are promoting the JR Tadami Line, at the town hall in Yanaizu Town.
  • viewpoint in Mishima Town to see the JR Tadami Line, which was damaged by heavy rain in 2011 and fully restored in 2022
More photos: FNN, Asahi, Facebook

On August 18th, Princess Kako attended the 41st National High School Sign Language Speech Contest at Yūrakuchō Asahi Hall in Chiyoda, Tokyo.

Photos: FNN, Mainichi, Asahi, AP Images

Prince Hisahito turns 18 on September 6. He is the first Imperial family member to come-of-age under the revised Civil Code which lowered the age of majority from 20 to 18, effective from April 2022.

Birthday photos and video were taken on July 15 at the gardens of the Akishino residence in Akasaka Estate.

Photos: Asahi, Mainichi (mixed with old photos), FNN

Birthday press release : 悠仁親王殿下18歳(ご成年)のお誕生日に当たり - 宮内庁

The press release includes Prince Hisahito's thoughts (Google translation):
On September 6th of this year, I will turn 18 and become an adult. It feels like just the other day that I was in kindergarten, elementary school, and junior high school, but when I think that I am already an adult, I realize how quickly time passes.

Over these past 18 years, many people have shown their support in various ways at different times. I am deeply grateful to them. I would also like to thank my parents and sisters for raising me.

As of April 2022, the age of majority under the Civil Code will be changed from 20 to 18, meaning that I will also become an adult while still in high school. Now that I am in my final year, I would like to cherish the little time I have left of high school, including school events, while working hard to achieve my career goals.

I would like to continue to deepen my learning through each experience, absorb various things, and grow.
  • As a 3rd year high school student at a critical time for university preparations, Prince Hisahito's Imperial coming-of-age ceremonies will be scheduled after graduation next spring.
  • Birthday press conference will also be postponed.
  • Agency deemed it would be appropriate for the prince to attend palace events after completing the adulthood rituals so he's NOT expected to attend New Year's receptions, etc.
  • Now an adult, his annual allowance increased to 9.15 million yen (increased from 3.05 million yen as a minor)
Prince Hisahito Turns 18 | Nippon
... Male members of the imperial family customarily have a coming-of-age ceremony, which is often on the day they become an adult. However, Hisahito is still in his final year of high school, and the Imperial Household Agency has indicated the ceremony will be held after he has graduated in spring 2025, so as not to interfere with his studies...

The IHA also refuted claims regarding Prince Hisahito's university plans

Japan Govt Warns against Baseless Info about Prince Hisahito | Nippon
[...] Weekly magazine and other media reports have said that Prince Hisahito ... may seek admission to the prestigious University of Tokyo through a recommendation system. The reports sparked an online petition campaign in opposition.

"The prince has found the situation very strange. He is feeling distressed," said Naomasa Yoshida, grand master of the Crown Prince's household.

"Even though he has come of age, he is still a high school student. As Prince Hisahito mentioned in his reflections, he is striving to realize his future plans and wishes to cherish his high school life, and I also want to value that personally," Yoshida added.

The online petition had collected over 12,000 signatures according to TV-Asahi (the petition has been shut down)

Prince Hisahito Turns 18 Is Immersed in Dragonfly Studies; Has 25-Page Paper Published on Fauna Diversity of Akasaka Imperial Gardens - The Japan News

Last edited:
Any special events in Japan?

The IHA also refuted claims regarding Prince Hisahito's university plans

Japan Govt Warns against Baseless Info about Prince Hisahito | Nippon

The online petition had collected over 12,000 signatures according to TV-Asahi (the petition has been shut down)

This is, what, the third or fourth time that Prince Hisahito is accused of benefiting from special treatment in his educational career? If there is no truth to these recurring allegations, then why hasn't the Imperial Household Agency been more effectual in refuting them? (Apologies for forgetting the specifics, but I remember their response to one of the previous accusations being rather wishy-washy.) And if there is a grain of truth to those allegations, then why haven't the prince, his parents, and the IHA started firmly insisting that teachers, awards and admissions committees, et al treat him like everybody else?

On a side note, coming from the bias of mostly reading comments from English-speaking royal watchers, it is interesting to me that Hisahito has received a great deal of criticism despite being the clear future emperor and until just now a minor, since royal watchers in the Anglosphere tend to be softer on main-line than junior royals, softer on younger than older royals, and especially soft on young main-line royals.

Any special events in Japan?

See post #163.

At a regular press conference on July 18th, Grand Steward Yasuhiko Nishimura of the Imperial Household Agency provided updates surrounding Prince Hisahito’s coming-of-age ceremony, which will be postponed to spring 2025, after high school graduation.
  • Nishimura said it would be appropriate for Prince Hisahito to attend court events and ceremonies after the ceremony
  • Thus, Prince Hisahito is not expected to attend New Year's Receptions or New Year's General Public Greetings
  • However, the prince may attend events outside the Imperial Palace, such as garden parties at Akasaka Estate, if they do not interfere with his studies
  • He will receive the Grand Cordon of the Order of the Chrysanthemum at the coming-of-age ceremony, not his birthday on September 6
  • Princes receive their order after a Cabinet meeting. The Cabinet approved the order for Crown Prince Akishino (then Prince Aya) on November 15, 1985 ahead of his birthday and coming-of-age ceremony on November 30, 1985
Sources: Asahi, TBS, FNN

So, will his allowance also only be tripled after the coming of age ceremony or will he start receiving a higher allowance from today?

This is, what, the third or fourth time that Prince Hisahito is accused of benefiting from special treatment in his educational career? If there is no truth to these recurring allegations, then why hasn't the Imperial Household Agency been more effectual in refuting them? (Apologies for forgetting the specifics, but I remember their response to one of the previous accusations being rather wishy-washy.) And if there is a grain of truth to those allegations, then why haven't the prince, his parents, and the IHA started firmly insisting that teachers, awards and admissions committees, et al treat him like everybody else?
Third accusation, I believe.
  1. Ochanomizu University school system via his mother's connections. Kiko received her Ph.D. from the university.
  2. Senior High School at Otsuka, University of Tsukuba via recommendation system
  3. now University of Tokyo
Jprime article reported the online position against Prince Hisahito launched on August 10 and gathered some 10,000 signatures by publication on August 27. The prince's participation at International Entomological Congress (ICE 2024) was unusual and seen as a stepping stone for the recommendation system, which requires 80% or higher on the common test along with documentation on results and achievements.

Jprime asked the IHA and former IHA employee Shinji Yamashita about the controversy.
  • Imperial Household Agency declined to comment on online petitions
  • Yamashita says the agency bears responsibility surrounding Prince Hisahito. "I feel that the Imperial Household Agency has not fulfilled its responsibility to explain the Akishino family. The Imperial Household Agency is the ministry that acts as a bridge between the Imperial Family and the public, so while it respects the feelings of the members of the Imperial Family, it has a responsibility to provide explanations that the public can accept. Explanations that raise doubts will only give rise to speculation that there is something ulterior motive behind it, and I believe that such speculation is what invites criticism."
  • Yamashita offered his opinion on the matter, "Prince Hisahito is in a special position, unlike ordinary people. He cannot live in a society that values academic credentials like ordinary people, so the perception that his admission to University of Tokyo is unfair is misguided. What's important is whether he can conduct research in a quiet environment. At the same time, it's not good for him to compete with ordinary people in entrance exams. There would be no problem if the university responded by saying, 'We've granted him special admission, separate from the general admission quota."
Based on the prince's interests, Jprime contacted a source at the University of Tokyo's Faculty of Agriculture, who shared:
  • "It's hard to imagine the future emperor enrolling at our school."
  • "Firstly, the University of Tokyo's Faculty of Agriculture is facing one of the greatest financial difficulties on campus. As a result, the paint on the school buildings built before the war is peeling and the pipes are exposed. There are also concerns about their earthquake resistance. I heard that the high school attached to the University of Tsukuba, where Prince Hisahito currently attends, underwent major renovations prior to his enrollment. At the moment, there are no such moves at the Faculty of Agriculture, so I think the possibility is low."
  • "... Prince Hisahito published a paper on dragonflies last year. I imagine that he has been interested in dragonflies since childhood and would like to study them at university, but there is no authority on dragonflies at the University of Tokyo's Faculty of Agriculture who could provide guidance to Prince Hisahito. In other words, I cannot say for sure that Prince Hisahito is suitable to study there."
There have been petitions against Imperial family before. In 2011, businesswoman and entertainer Dewi Sukarno started a petition to have succession go to Akishino instead of Naruhito. The Crown Prince family was in crisis at the time due to Crown Princess Masako's poor health and absence from duties, while Princess Aiko had her own difficulties attending school. Sukarno declared Masako's behavior was "inappropriate for a Crown Princess."

---

My thoughts: certainly, being a published author of academic papers as a teenager is a big advantage... but also, the public doesn't have access to Imperial properties for studying insects. If anyone's going to write about such a topic, that person will be an Imperial family member.

The IHA remains ineffective at PR and slow. The agency used Prince Hisahito's birthday to address the controversy when there were opportunities at the IHA and Crown Prince Household weekly press conferences since August. Perhaps concern about backfire? Further explanations by the Akishino couple and Grand Steward didn't do much to gain understanding on the residence/Kako's living situation.

On a side note, coming from the bias of mostly reading comments from English-speaking royal watchers, it is interesting to me that Hisahito has received a great deal of criticism despite being the clear future emperor and until just now a minor, since royal watchers in the Anglosphere tend to be softer on main-line than junior royals, softer on younger than older royals, and especially soft on young main-line royals.
[...]
I agree. Princess Aiko received much speculation and criticism when she was younger from magazines.

So, will his allowance also only be tripled after the coming of age ceremony or will he start receiving a higher allowance from today?
Asahi says the increase starts this month, when he turns 18. Last year, the Akishino family allowance totaled 118.95 million yen.

Bottom half of this 2021 Yomiuri article (English) says the payment is split: "The Imperial family allowances are paid twice a year, in April and October, for each family branch, and it is up to each branch to decide how to distribute the money."

On September 6th, Prince Hisahito visited the Imperial Palace after 5pm for birthday greetings with Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako. Princess Aiko had returned from work and was present as well. Afterwards, Prince Hisahito returned to Akasaka Estate and visited the Emeritus couple for greetings.

Photos: AP Images, FNN

Prince Hisahito full of gratitude as he reaches adulthood at 18 | The Asahi Shimbun
[...] “When I think that I am already an adult, I realize how quickly time has passed,” he reflected, expressing deep gratitude to the many people who “have shown me their kindness in various ways over the past 18 years.”

He also expressed gratitude to his parents and his older sisters, Mako Komuro and Princess Kako.

“While preparing for college, I want to cherish the remaining time of my high school life,” stated Hisahito, a senior in high school.

“I want to continue to learn various things and grow,” he wrote.

DISTURBED OVER COLLEGE ENTRANCE

Regarding the prince’s college entrance, the Imperial Household Agency has simply stated that he intends to enroll in a university where he can study natural history, without naming a specific institution.

[...]

“There is a lot of unfounded information circulating, and I am deeply concerned about it,” said Naomasa Yoshida, the senior agency official in charge of Fumihito’s household.

[...]

During a school trip to Okinawa Prefecture in November, the prince visited the Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Museum and natural caves that were used as military hospitals during the final days of World War II.

He also enjoyed snorkeling in the subtropical sea of the prefecture and stayed with a local family.

DRAGONFLY SPECIALIST

In his academic studies, Hisahito conducted a research project on plants that are suitable for dragonflies to lay eggs upon and presented his findings at school in February.

[...]

“The prince is exploring his interest in environmental diversity, where humans and other living beings can coexist,” said Masato Ono, a professor of entomology at Tokyo’s Tamagawa University.

Ono has guided and supported Hisahito since his childhood with his biological research on dragonflies, which serve as environmental indicators.

“He has developed a deep appreciation for the small and diverse creatures that coexist in the environment,” the professor said. “Research activities will likely continue to play a significant role in his development.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom