Princess Eugenie, Jack Brooksbank and Family, Current Events 1: Oct 2018 - Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a lovely pic. Soon there will be a new addition to the family. Can't wait to find out if boy or girl.

I honestly do not see this type of a move happening for Eugenie and Jack. First, I don’t believe she would want to move, Jack has a business, the Queen and especially Prince Charles want a slim down support system. If the couple are representing the Queen, the couple would be getting a salary just what is frowned upon. The Queen, Charles and William pulled back many of Harry’s “jobs”, so if they did not want Harry and Megan to work and help represent them, why would they want Eugenie and Jack. I believe media is starting rumors again.

Sometimes all it takes to start a fallacy is misrepresented words. My theory is that someone overheard Eugenie on the phone with Jack as Jack was asking her where they keep the sponges. Eugenie replied "down under the kitchen sink". Only words that were heard were "down under" and *voila!* she's moving to Australia.

That rumor is so preposterous I just had to have a bit of fun with it. :D

We have a notable Australian for GG these days - at least the most recent ones have been - and can't see it being a popular move. Absolute rubbish I hope.

The article doesn't actually say anything about the GG job -which rightly goes to citizens from those countries. Just that they'd move to Aus for a year or so and do some official duties whilst they're there. It would be different from anything we've seen before - if it were true.

I assume it's absolute rubbish for a number of reasons. Harry and Meghan were going to be the Commonwealth couple but that wouldn't have involved living anywhere but the UK except possibly South Africa and that would have been as private citizens. It IS possible that like many British people Eugenie and Jack have considered spending a few years in Australia as private citizens but I don't know why this random tabloid would be the ones to break it if that was the case.

If anything we would need them in Canada as our GG has resigned (an historic first!) but there is little hope for a replacement from Britain, our Prime Minister is looking at the first indigenous GG nomination.

If anything we would need them in Canada as our GG has resigned (an historic first!) but there is little hope for a replacement from Britain, our Prime Minister is looking at the first indigenous GG nomination.

What does a GG do?

The GG, in the other realms, does the same thing the Queen does in the UK (and in Canada and Australia the provinces/states also have Lt-Governors/Governors to do that work as well).

They see the 'boxes' from the governments, they meet with the Prime Ministers/Premiers, they advise, they represent the nation on the world stage, open things, lead the nation in celebration and mourning etc.

Many years ago my brother was given the Order of Australia. He went to Government House in Sydney and was invested by the Governor of NSW with the award at an investiture ceremony. The whole thing was the same format as an investiture in the UK only held by the Governor of NSW. He did have the option of going to Canberra to get it from the GG but chose to stay in Sydney as his daughters were still at school and he didn't want them to miss too much school for the ceremony as he would have had to take them out the day before to travel to Canberra as well as the day of the ceremony and the night event afterwards - so three days off school compared to one.

Last edited:
The original article propagating this rubbish was published in an Australian magazine that is notorious here for its flights of imagination. 'Nuff said!

That magazine is often colloquially called 'NO Idea' but ... it was the first in the world to publish where Harry was on his first tour of Afghanistan and then nearly three months later the US revealed that he was there and he was pulled out. Anyone in Australia who read the first edition from that year already knew.

We have not had a foreign Governor-General since Lord De L'Isle's term finished in 1965. I do not think we are likely to get another one now. The Brits wouldn't - or, at least, shouldn't - dare suggest it.

That magazine is often colloquially called 'NO Idea' but ... it was the first in the world to publish where Harry was on his first tour of Afghanistan and then nearly three months later the US revealed that he was there and he was pulled out. Anyone in Australia who read the first edition from that year already knew.

And it's really muddied the waters! :lol: It's the one piece of real, reliable news that magazine has ever published but the distinction of that scoop provides excellent ammunition to fire at the "No Idea" scoffers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually New Idea used to have a lot of good stories - reliable and factual and beautifully written but the management changed and they decided to start taking stories from sources such as The Globe and other really gutter type outlets. I am going back into the 70s-90s but since the turn of the century it has largely been below gutter standards.

I use to buy New Idea if I bought anything back in the day but now they seem to make everything up. When talk of 'representing the Queen' is mentioned the GG job automatically springs to mind. I guess with royal tours etc they are doing the same thing but for lots of different reasons. I remember Charles was talked about in the press for the GG position at one time and probably other royals. If they just decide to live here then that is up to them I guess. We'll have to wait and see but it's still very random.

For all we know Eugenie may be planning a trip to Australia for work (she has traveled for the art gallery and perhaps they are doing a project there). Or one of her charity organizations. She wouldn't be the first non-working royal to be in Australia for business. Zara and Mike have gone numerous times, usually around Christmas they are down there the last few years.

Someone may have over heard and thought 'oh they are getting sent'.

There is no way that a royal will ever be named GG again. The days when a foreigner are appointed are long over.

In Canada we currently have our Chief Justice filling in until they sort out who to replace Payette with. Our last British GG was the 1st Earl Alexander of Tunis who left office in 1952. And the last time we had a royal-related was right before him, with the Earl of Althone (husband of Princess Alice, brother of Queen Mary).

We have to wait and see. If any of this is true. Pss Eugenie I think would be good in representing the Queen. She and her sister are in the public light all their life. The papers write lots of stories. Fist comes the little one.

We have to wait and see. If any of this is true. Pss Eugenie I think would be good in representing the Queen. She and her sister are in the public light all their life. The papers write lots of stories. Fist comes the little one.

She's not going to be representing the queen. She and Beatrice have never been considered as working royals.. and now she is married, and having a baby, she's essentially a private person with her own private life to lead.

She's not going to be representing the queen. She and Beatrice have never been considered as working royals.. and now she is married, and having a baby, she's essentially a private person with her own private life to lead.

It is clear that Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are considered private citizens, but I do not think their marital status is pertinent to that. As we have seen with the Princess Royal and Princess Alexandra, the British royal family does not expect princesses to automatically retire into private life when they marry. The decision to consider the York princesses as private citizens was made long before their marriages.

Yes but I suspect that Andrew did want them working.. and if the ages had been different, if Harry had dropped out of Royal life some few years ago whne they were younger, there might have been some possibility that Charles and the queen would make use of the Yorks to fill in... at least for a few years. However now they're both married, and I think neither of them want those responsibiltiies....

Yes but I suspect that Andrew did want them working.. and if the ages had been different, if Harry had dropped out of Royal life some few years ago whne they were younger, there might have been some possibility that Charles and the queen would make use of the Yorks to fill in... at least for a few years. However now they're both married, and I think neither of them want those responsibiltiies....

If they had become working royals before marriage, it doesn't seem likely to me that they would have wanted or been expected to give up their responsibilities upon marriage. That did not happen for any working members of the British royal family who married in the last few decades, as far as I recall.

If they had become working royals before marriage, it doesn't seem likely to me that they would have wanted or been expected to give up their responsibilities upon marriage. That did not happen for any working members of the British royal family who married in the last few decades, as far as I recall.
Times change... Charles is IMO very keen on cutting back.. and if say Harry had married some years ago and done his disappearing act.. I think its possible that Ch and the queen would have asked for some help from Be and Eugenie, on a need to be used basis, and that it would not go on forever.. And I don't think they would be keen on going on with it, once they were married and having babies so that would be a natural stopping point.

And I don't think they would be keen on going on with it, once they were married and having babies so that would be a natural stopping point.

Do you mean they would become less keen after marriage because they would prefer devoting themselves to raising their children (though that apparently wasn't an issue for Harry)? Or that their husbands would not be supportive of their continuing as working royals?

Do you mean they would become less keen after marriage because they would prefer devoting themselves to raising their children (though that apparently wasn't an issue for Harry)? Or that their husbands would not be supportive of their continuing as working royals?
I'd imagine that they wouldn't want to have royal duties when they had babies, I think that they might have enjoyed it a bit as single girls with no major responsibitlies... Harry was completely different as he was always supposed to take up royal duties when he finished his army career...

Well this one has turned into a firestorm. I have the impression that some people really don't want to see them help out or work for the "FIRM". If the Queen ask them I believe they would be more then happy to help out. Their representation would not be less important to the people, then from any other member of the family. Or does anyone think otherwise?

There's no firestorm. This has all started basically because of a rumor in an Australian magazine of "lesser repute".

I just find the idea, at least to me, preposterous. Both the moving to Australia part and the representing the Queen part. If HM had wanted more representation in the "Firm", I think she would have done so by now with the exit of both Andrew and the Sussexes and it never happened. Both Beatrice and Eugenie are pretty well set with their lives, their careers and now marriage and one starting a family and one having a "ready made family".

Even with the pandemic, the "Firm" has been shown to have no holes in it and lack of representation. They've continued on without their "fugitives" quite nicely.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :D

Well this one has turned into a firestorm. I have the impression that some people really don't want to see them help out or work for the "FIRM". If the Queen ask them I believe they would be more then happy to help out. Their representation would not be less important to the people, then from any other member of the family. Or does anyone think otherwise?

dont know what you mean by a firestorm. Its not going to happen.. Its a silly story... and generally, Bea and Eugenie are not overly popular... so nobody wants them to take on royal duties... The queen isn't going to ask them.. but if she did, I think they'd be reluctant at this stage of their lives to take on royal duties.. Maybe if they'd been asked when they were just out of college, they might have liked the idea.. but over several years, I think that they have their own lives and dont want to give them up for royal duties...and they have gone from fairly unpopular to not popular but tolerated.. if they were to take on royal work now, they'd get hte usual amount of criticism and bad press and Im sure they dont want it at this stage of their lives.

In Princess Alexandra's day, upper-class women were expected to do charity work whether they were royal or not. Duchesses and countesses would do "good work" within the areas near their own homes. So doing royal duties was a fairly obvious step for her to take anyway. And Princess Anne, when she left school, was a monarch's daughter, not granddaughter. Times have changed, and Beatrice and Eugenie are a step further from the throne anyway.

I doubt they'll want to take on royal duties. And they might have concerns over all the media pressure that higher profile royals get. Look at all the hassle that Beatrice got over the hat she wore for William and Kate's wedding. It was only a hat!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom