Prince Henrik Retiring from Official Duties as of January 1, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Honestly it seems to be a matter of freedom. By retiring, he can pick and choose what he attends and can escape complaints. He has attended some family events when they were in Denmark. He hasn't traveled abroad like for Harald's birthday with the queen. It means he can run off on another month long vacation like earlier this winter and answer to no one.

Maybe his ego needed a boost and was tired of coming second to his Queen wife.

I give up!

I can't figure out what PH's retirement is all about.

He has been attending event after event for the past couple of months. Apart from visibly getting older and having a few problems with his legs he appears to me to be in fine form.
So why retire?

PH don't seem to be willing in taking part in DRF-events or side by side with his wife, but he seems perfectly happy to attend events where he is in focus.

So, I give up.
I'll now merely sit down and observe what happens.

I think you hit the nail on the head, Muhler. He's perfectly happy to attend events where HE is in focus.

I give up!

He has been attending event after event for the past couple of months. Apart from visibly getting older and having a few problems with his legs he appears to me to be in fine form.
So why retire?

PH don't seem to be willing in taking part in DRF-events or side by side with his wife, but he seems perfectly happy to attend events where he is in focus.

So, I give up.

I agree with Emmily - you did figure it out. For all we know, the Queen is grateful for this arrangement as well...:whistling:

The Queen did seem really happy and relaxed during this first leg of the summer cruise so maybe you're right!

I give up!

So why retire?

So, I give up.

Muhler - maybe he just had the winter blues... Maybe being off the leash has invigorated him. I know when I don't HAVE to do official things, and have a choice about what I do and what I skip, I feel it easier to be fully present at the things that I do.
And I agree that both he and the Queen may be benefiting!

:previous: A depression? Why not?

I don't know much about depressions and how they manifest themselves. So I'll sit on the fence for that one and listen.

BT has an interview with PH on the occasion of his birthday yesterday.
The interview is not - yet - online for free.

From what I can understand from this very short excerpt PH is celebrating his birthday at Chateau Cayx - alone.
Eksklusivt interview med prins Henrik: Jeg finder ro her - væk fra alt

Right now QMII is aboard Dannebrog on her way to the Faeroe Islands.

He says he enjoys being alone at Cayx.
"I miss being on the Faeroe Islands tomorrow (today), where Dannebrog is on an official visit, because I do like the aeroe Islands and I do like the Faerose, but You know... I find peace here, and I'm here at Cayx for some weeks or some time alone - away from everything".

I don't think he appears particularly depressed. I think Henrik wants what Henrik likes. He enjoys warmth and the sun and therefore he's passing on going on the yacht and having the Faroe Islands experience. What does seem quite noticeable though, is that he seems to have rejected not just his wife but his family in this journey towards finding peace and contentment. Most very old people enjoy being with grandchildren and relaxing in the bosom of their family but he has gone in very much the other direction. It's very strange, really.

And the saga continues.
Various excerpts from the BT interview is surfacing.

Prins Henrik taler ud i eksklusivt interview: Jeg har gjort det bedste, jeg kunne for Danmark

Prins Henrik: "Jeg har gjort det bedste, jeg kunne for Danmark" - Avisen.dk

Prins Henrik : Jeg er ikke gået på pension - Herognu

The quotes in no particular order reads:
Q: Is it a part of You going on some sort retirement, that You have turned down the number of official duties?
PH: "No, we are not discussing it/talking about it, but as I say: It's not a retirement, but I've decided not take as much part any more. To be discreet. And not doing anything official".

"I've done the best I could for Denmark. That is my duty, which I'm very fond of/pleased with".

"Well, You call it being retired, but you are not going on retirement, when you are royal".

But does he prefer to stay at Cayx on his birthday?
PH: "Well, I don't necessarily prefer that. I miss being on the Faeroe Islands tomorrow, where Dannebrog is on official visit, because I like the Faeroe Islands and I like the Faeorese. But You know.. I find peace and quiet here, and I'm here at Cayx for some weeks or some time alone - Away from everything".

At the same time in May alone, PH had eleven engagements, mainly with his own protections.

Last edited:
Thanks for that ?
I don't know what to make of him not sure he knows what he wants either

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

And the saga continues.

Prins Henrik taler ud i eksklusivt interview: Jeg har gjort det bedste, jeg kunne for Danmark

Q: Is it a part of You going on some sort retirement, that You have turned down the number of official duties?
PH: "No, we are not discussing it/talking about it, but as I say: It's not a retirement, but I've decided not take as much part any more. To be discreet. And not doing anything official".

"I've done the best I could for Denmark. That is my duty, which I'm very fond of/pleased with".

"Well, You call it being retired, but you are not going on retirement, when you are royal".

These are the Queen's words:

My husband has made the decision that the time has now come for him to “slow down” – or, if I may use a common Danish term – to retire.

So PH has retired but he is not on retirement?

:wacko::wacko::bangin:

He is "retired" from doing things he does not want to do. When some Royal event or cause interests him he suddenly unretires. The man likes having his cake and eating it too.

That is what i am getting out of all of this anyway.

I believe that at this senior age one should live as plaeased. However, being a royal often means serving till the end. It's hard situation.

I sense a sort of melancholy, a sort of depression with the Prince. More and more he feels his physical limits, his advanced age and possibly realizes time is running out. He sees the world changing, he sees Denmark and France changing, faster and faster. The one can handle it better than the other. Some people are more sensitive. I can imagine how the Prince possibly feels. The one wil say "Come on, get real!" (Philip) the other seems more emotional, more poetic and more empathic (Henri).

And the saga continues.

PH: "Well, I don't necessarily prefer that. I miss being on the Faeroe Islands tomorrow, where Dannebrog is on official visit, because I like the Faeroe Islands and I like the Faeorese. But You know.. I find peace and quiet here, and I'm here at Cayx for some weeks or some time alone - Away from everything".

At the same time in May alone, PH had eleven engagements, mainly with his own protections.

Thanks for the info, Muhler.

I am leaning towards the de facto separation of Margrethe and Henrik, as others have suggested, and I think all involved have heaved a huge sigh of relief.

If I may offer an observation: my husband was 71 when he died. As he got older (and sicker) he seemed to 'return to his roots' as I thought of it. He became more like his mother - in opinions, especially. Henrik realizes that most of his life is behind him. Maybe withdrawing somewhat is the way he handles it.

Thank you for the translation, Muhler.

:previous: You are welcome. :)

Any of your guesses is as good as mine, because I can't work it out. :ermm:

And the saga continues.

Thanks Muhler

He sounds disappointed in not being able to go, and indicating that it wasn't his decision.....or is he just trying to get some attention again?

You can't have it both ways PH!

I don't think he appears particularly depressed. I think Henrik wants what Henrik likes. He enjoys warmth and the sun and therefore he's passing on going on the yacht and having the Faroe Islands experience. What does seem quite noticeable though, is that he seems to have rejected not just his wife but his family in this journey towards finding peace and contentment. Most very old people enjoy being with grandchildren and relaxing in the bosom of their family but he has gone in very much the other direction. It's very strange, really.
Very much agree with what you wrote. However, Henrik strikes me as a selfish being. He is living a life with extreme privileges and utter luxuries. Yes he is a senior, however so is his wife. He signed up to be a consort and with this comes specific obligations. This may be harsh, but there are many current and previous consorts that have dedicated their lives to their birth or adopted country and position. His legacy is one of him complaining of his wife's and eldest son's birthright.

I feel sorry for QMII.

No family photoshot in Gârsten this year ?

That's a really good question!

That'll be interesting to see!

I think if PH is not there, then the Berleburgs will show up in force to support QMII, and M&F and J&M are bound to show up as well, regardless of other plans - otherwise the press would have field day! (They still would!)

:previous:

BB confirmed on their Facebook site last week that Frederik, Mary and children will stay on Gråsten during their summer vacation again this year (as they did last year).

So I guess we will see a family photoshoot like last year, And I'm quite sure we will see Henrik there as well.

Last year's photo session was by the way one of the best and most relaxed we've ever seen. So I guess it will be the same this year, and with Henrik there. I can't see why he shouldn't attend. But okay, you never know with him...

Last edited:
If I may offer an observation: my husband was 71 when he died. As he got older (and sicker) he seemed to 'return to his roots' as I thought of it. He became more like his mother - in opinions, especially. Henrik realizes that most of his life is behind him. Maybe withdrawing somewhat is the way he handles it.

Thank you for the translation, Muhler.

Yes, that is what one often observes. The last stadium of life, looking back in retrospect, it can have a profound effect on a person.

It seems to me that PH has painful physical limitations, and perhaps he was finding it difficult to be seen to having to be assisted. It may be one factor in his fairly public discontent with his situation.

Thanks for the info, Muhler!?

Mr Muhler , last year Joachim and Marie were not on the Gärsten photo picture. Why?
Thanks for your interesting threads.

:previous: There have been several Gråsten summer photo shoots where they have not been there. We always see Queen Margrethe/Prince Henrik and the Crown Prince family there, while other royals (The Berleburgs, Joakim's family, the Greek family etc.) seems to participate varies from year to year... Queen Margrethe/Prince Henrik and Frederik, Mary and children lives each summer 2 weeks at Gråsten. Last year the Crown Prince Family spend their entire summer vacation there with the Regent Couple the last weeks. The other royals seems to come and visits some days if it fits into their summer plans :)

BTW: Billedbladet last week confirmed that Crown Prince Family again this year will spend their summer vacation on Gråsten.

Last edited:
You are welcome, Marie-Olivia & Alicia. :)

IIRC J&M were on holiday with our Marie's French relatives at the time of the Gråsten shoot.

She must be relieved to not have to deal with him right now. I am leaning toward the doesn't like to be seen needing assistance angle, his pride seems to be his main focus

Back
Top Bottom