Prince Harry Current Events 19: May 1-17, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Elspeth said:
but I see it's the ubiquitous "senior royal source" making the claim, not Prince Harry himself. What a misleading headline.

Especially since Clarence House itself puts out such information for the Princes, if the Princes want or need to respond.:)

cowarth said:
How would a spokesperson know what the royals are really thinking?

I suppose that a real spokesperson will be saying what the relevant royal has conveyed to them to be their feeling but....

unless said 'spokesperson' is named we can't be actually sure that anyone really said what they are alleged to have said.

I believe official statements only.

There should be a rule that only articles with NAMED sources can be printed.

Why would a close friend blab to the press? He doesn't seem like much of a friend to me.

Well, at least John Lycett-Green is only expressing his opinion about the princes and not disclosing personal info. I think he does not know anything "newsworthy" about them because he is not as close as the Mirror wants to claim, so he says some non-commital opinions and they can make their vague claims "close friend", "son of close friend" or whatever. It is just the tabloids being the tabloids. Nothing new, nothing interesting, just more money-making schemes.

cowarth said:
Why would a close friend blab to the press? He doesn't seem like much of a friend to me.
They all move in the same circle of friends but I don't believe he is a 'close' friend. :hmm:

In fact, he sounds so mean spirited and bitter that I believe the good old green god of jealousy is what motivates him. :voodoo:

That and the backhander from The Mirror. :photo:

After all, let's face it, that particular brand of "friend' doesn't come cheap.... and a wannabe has to keep himself in champers somehow. :D

Well, either the Mirror is making up a bunch of stuff or this guy is shortly to be an ex-best friend, unless the royal brothers have considerably lower standards of what constitutes a friend than their father has.

Does John Lycett-Green really know Princes William or Harry?

kpusa1981 said:

He is the same age as William and went to the same school - Eton. It is therefore safe to assume that he does know William.

How well he knows William is another thing?

He has the connections to have mixed in the same circles throughout his life.

It seems as if William has a strong head on his shoulders as no doubt Harry also has! Why is there so much fuss made about his deployment(Harry) and the press/friends/photographers who accompany the man? Really he is a MAN and men handle themselves!!

A man must do the best in all things!!! Harry is a man!

Last edited by a moderator:
BeatrixFan said:
BBC NEWS | UK | Prince Harry not to serve in Iraq

Prince Harry will now not serve in Iraq. I tell you what, this government couldn't organise an orgy in a brothel.

Thank you for sharing the news Beatrixfan.
At the moment it looks like the final decision but I'm going to wait till the Clarence House officially confirms it. after all, the Chief can change his decision once more.

Last edited:
Well, the mommy hen in me wants to say I'm glad Harry will not be going to Iraq. However, I'm sure Harry has an altogether different view of being kept from active duty, when his fellow soldiers will be on the battlefield. So it's a bit of a mixed blessing in that respect.:ermm:

I think it is for the best that Harry will not be serving in Iraq. It seems like his presence would bring added danger to the men serving with him. Although I'm sure he is dissappointed, I don't think he would want any of his men to be harmed because of him.

Avalon said:
At the moment it looks like the final decision but I'm going to wait till the Clarence House officially confirms it. after all, the Chief can change his decision once more.
The official statement from princeofwales.gov.uk

Clarence House have issued the following statement:
“Prince Harry is very disappointed that he will not be able to go to Iraq with his troop on this deployment, as he had hoped. He fully understands and accepts General Dannatt’s difficult decision, and remains committed to his Army career. Prince Harry’s thoughts are with his troop and the rest of the Battle Group in Iraq.”

Well, I think this is for the best for everyone involved, but I understand Harry's dissapointment. Does anyone have any idea what kind of work he will do for the army while his troop in in Iraq?

marezdote said:

“Prince Harry is very disappointed that he will not be able to go to Iraq with his troop on this deployment, as he had hoped. He fully understands and accepts General Dannatt’s difficult decision, and remains committed to his Army career. Prince Harry’s thoughts are with his troop and the rest of the Battle Group in Iraq.”

I wonder how this will affect his career, though. This is the sort of warfare we're likely to be seeing in the future, not the conventional war between armies supported by governments. If the Prince can't go into battle in wars against insurgents and terrorists, his Army career is going to be fairly meaningless.

Prince Harry will not got to Iraq - CNN.com

I have to say that I agree with the decision. While I understand his desire to deploy with his men, he is a high value target, and would bring unwarranted danger to the other men and women in his squadron, as well as himself. It is certainly an unneccessary risk. And before anyone starts stirring the pot and saying "of course he got off with all of his connections, royal men have gone to war before", I might remind everyone that in other times, there was not so much media that was plastering his face over every single news outlet, giving the enemy troops a chance to know exactly who he was and what he looked like.

I am sure that there is something that he can do in the military that will benefit his troops, and still keep him and his troops safe. Peaceful nations are not really in the business of deliberately sending out the troops to a place where they know for a fact that there have been specific threats of such a nature.

marezdote said:

Thank you merezdote. :flowers:
Well, now it's official, I am relieved Prince Harry will not go to Iraq. Not only because of him, but because I did believe he would expose his men to more danger.

Well,the military has positions for anything and everything. Everything from Janitorial and supply chain command, to 4 star generals. There must be something meaningful that he can do without going into combat. Strategy, corps of engineers, medical orderly, train as a pilot, a linguist, an interrogator, or anything else. I hope.

I love Sam's descriptive use of language. :)

I agree. I have thought about this as well. In the long run, is his going the best move? He would be targeted as a trophy prize. Communication is so global now everyone would know what he looks like and who to look for.

I also think that should he go and God forbid killed..there would be a bloody roar of anger and anguish from Britain and especially the Royal Family, the likes we have never seen before.

I know plenty of royals from many of the families have died in battle in past wars. Prince Maurice of Battenberg, Prince Christian (Christle), to name two, but I think in today's day and age. I am not sure Charles would be able to cope mentally should anything happen to Harry.

This is for the best.

Harry must be SOOO disapointed, he was looking forward to serving with his men in Iraq.
Is he going to a desk job?

He is the same age as William and went to the same school - Eton. It is therefore safe to assume that he does know William.
So John Lycett-Green is using the old school connection to get close to the princes.

Last edited:
The decision that he will not serve in Iraq is probably very hard to bear for Harry. But im relieved that he will not go and i think the decsion is right.
I hope for him that he can deal with the new situation, and that there are not so many journalists who gossip about the Prince in their bad tabloids.

i does seem to be for the best, but it begs the question what about all the time and money put into his training, if he isn't allowed to use it. i'm sure he's very disappointed being in the position of letting his men down. i'd be surprised if he is happy at a desk job.

kpusa1981 said:
I believe he does not know them as well or closely as he or the Mirror wishes/ed to convey in the article. :lol:

I am glad Prince Harry is spared the Iraq slaughterhouse. Unfortunately, too many others (one is too many) are not spared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom