Prince Edward and Sophie Rhys-Jones: 19 June 1999

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nichola said:
No, msleiman, Camilla wasn't invited to the wedding.

There was a very select guest-list if I remember rightly - not even politicians were invited. It was strictly family and friends.

And what about the members of other royal houses?:rolleyes:

crisiñaki said:
And what about the members of other royal houses?:rolleyes:

There were a select number of members from the other royal houses, such as Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, Prince Nikolaus of Greece, Sultan of Brunei with his two wives, King Abdullah of Jordan, Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Prince Haakon of Norway, Prince Guillaume and Princess Sybilla of Luxembourg, Prince Georg of Hanover, Prince Felipe of Spain, Prince Hassan of Jordan, Prince Philipp and Princess Xenia of Hohenlohe-Langenburg.

It was one of the best! The only drawback was her Tiara.

Did anyone else think that the church ceremony was really boring and bad. They came in,said yes,sing a song....

You can´t compare it to the lovely -prepared wedding in church of WA and Maxima. There were element which it was obvious to see meant very much to the couple but in Sophie and Edward´s case it seemed very cold and standart...

well yes i agree a little bit i also would have liked to see that they love each other.. after six years not really in the big spotlight they could have shown sth to the public which obviously would have loved it!

i also think there weren't really politicans just blair and his wive but probably because they first just wanted a very little one but had to see that people wanted to see them and all with a great interest of the medias!

I didn't really like her dress. :(
I think it looked as if it was some sizes too tall...

I didn't see the ceremony.. are there any online-videos???:confused:

Edward & Sophie Official Wedding Portraits

I have seen all the candids of the Wessex's wedding on here, but none of the official portraits. Would someone post them?

pdas1201 said:
There were a select number of members from the other royal houses, such as Queen Anne-Marie of Greece, Prince Nikolaus of Greece, Sultan of Brunei with his two wives, King Abdullah of Jordan, Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Prince Haakon of Norway, Prince Guillaume and Princess Sybilla of Luxembourg, Prince Georg of Hanover, Prince Felipe of Spain, Prince Hassan of Jordan, Prince Philipp and Princess Xenia of Hohenlohe-Langenburg.

Does anyone have pictures of any of these guests? I saw one of Haakon posted here, but none of the other foreign royals.

Sophie and Edward wanted to keep their wedding very small and simple because British royal weddings seemed doomed for failure! All of his siblings have got divorced and it was often due to a high amount of publicity, Diana becme the most photographed woman and this resulted in high stress levels between herself and her husband. The couple have learnt from this and decided to keep themselves out of the publics eye so their is less pressure on their relationship

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1999/06/99/royal_wedding/373329.stm
There are some links on the right hand side but they are only audio.

Pink Tulip said:
Does anyone have pictures of any of these guests? I saw one of Haakon posted here, but none of the other foreign royals.

I don't think any other foreign royals were invited to the wedding. They wanted to keep it simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
happy 7 anniversary

pictures from corbis i know sophie and edward anniversary is not intill june 19, but i will be on vacation so i wanted to wish the a happy 7 anniversary. iceflower i hope you enjoy these pictures.

happy 7 anniversary

more pictures from corbis

happy 7 anniversary

more from corbis

and many.many more

more pictures from corbis

Sophie,

hi this Sara1981 Earl and Countess of Wessex been married for 7 years since June 19,1999 you're right but i watch that video of couple's wedding really wonderful ceremony.

sophie said:
pictures from corbis i know sophie and edward anniversary is not intill june 19, but i will be on vacation so i wanted to wish the a happy 7 anniversary. iceflower i hope you enjoy these pictures.
I did enjoy them very much, so thanks a lot for posting, sophie!
I still remember the wedding I saw on television back in 1999, it has been a really wonderful one with a stunning bride and a proud groom..:)
I wish you great holidays, sophie! :)

It's hard to believe that Edward and Sophie have been married 7 yrs. Time does fly! I loved their wedding it was a beautiful ceremony and the bride was stunning. thanks to everyone who shared their wedding pics with all of us. I forgot how beautiful it was.

Edward and Sophie wanted a small private family wedding. It became problematic when they expressed a desire to use St. George's Chapel as the venue. It was pointed out to them that they should at least invite enough people to fill it. The wedding was at first not meant to be televised - but than News corps said Edward wanted to sell the rights through his own television company so Buckingham Palace said it would go to the BBC. This was something that quiet upset about. It is important to note that Edward and Sophie are not interested in doing things like playing public affection and kissing on balconies for the sake of the media and public. This a private marriage, not a public soap opera - indifferent of whom they are and who his parents are.

Several foreign royals were invited. But as Edward and Sophie were adament that only friends would be attending only royals that fell into that category attended. It was said that Edward personally wrote letters to the heads of other royals family explaining his need for a small wedding and saying that it was not meant as a snub or anything. Apparently Queen Beatrice wrote a very sympathic letter back congradulating him on his steadfastness to not let his life became a faust.

There is a list of guests at House Wessex. It is by no means complete - but does show the royals. Tony and Cherie Blair were not invited as were no political figures. Except one of Edward's oldest friends who happens to be a Conservative consulor. Odd considering that today - Gordon Brown's wife and David Cameron's wife are regular visitors to Bagshot park and their husbands even have to content with each other at dinner parties.

House Wessex list: http://housewessex.tollfreepage.com/edsoph/guest%20list.htm

Sophie's tiara...is it one that was designed for the wedding by Edward or is it a family tiara? I have the Majesty Magazine from their wedding, but I can't find it right now & I can't remember if they talked about the tiara in the issue.
I love how their wedding was intimate & even though it was "large" it was filled with people they wanted & not people that they had to invite.
They look so happy & the family looks happy as well.

As far as I know the tiara was given to her by the Queen.So it should be a famly tiara. Edward designed the necklace and earrings himself..as a present for Sophie

liv said:
As far as I know the tiara was given to her by the Queen.So it should be a famly tiara. Edward designed the necklace and earrings himself..as a present for Sophie

I remember reading that about the earrings & necklace....I just couldn't place the tiara. I like the style of the tiara (gives me some ideas for whenever I get married :D )

sophie's dress was my second favorite (favorite was sarah chatto's). again, i loved the simplicity of it...no bows or frills. she was beautiful.

I liked her dress a lot too. But, it seemed a little big on her, as if she lost more weight after the last fitting.

I may be wrong here but, it appears Sophie had the veil covering her face at first, I thought you only did that when you were a virgin on your wedding day?

JOY! said:
I may be wrong here but, it appears Sophie had the veil covering her face at first, I thought you only did that when you were a virgin on your wedding day?

No all brides can cover their face it is part of tradition some do some choose not to.

In a royal wedding, it's the royal status of the bride before marriage that makes the difference between whether she has her veil over her face or not. Princesses don't have their faces covered (check out photos of Princesses Elizabeth, Margaret, Alexandra, and Anne before their weddings) whereas it's more usual for a non-royal bride marrying into the royal family to arrive at church with her veil over her face.

I thought the setting was wonderful. St. George's chapel is very lovely. The sight of the three brothers strolling to the chapel gave the event a more relaxed feeling than previous British Royal weddings.

As to Sophie's dress, I think that it could have been wonderful if it fit her better. It did look like she was being swallowed up by it, much like Princess Letizia's gown did to her. Of the recent British royal weddings I think that Lady Helen and Lady Sarah had the most beautiful gowns.

Elspeth said:
Princesses don't have their faces covered (check out photos of Princesses Elizabeth, Margaret, Alexandra, and Anne before their weddings)
I read once that Anne put the veil over her face just before she went to the altar, though she hadn't had it before. I've never seen pics of Anne's ceremony, though.

I too enjoyed seeing Princes Charles, Andrew & Edward walking to the chapel. It was a wonderful site to see. I think it did give the wedding a relaxed feel & was a nice touch. St. George's seemed to fit them- I don't think it would have had the same feel if it had been anywhere else.

TLLK said:
I thought the setting was wonderful. St. George's chapel is very lovely. The sight of the three brothers strolling to the chapel gave the event a more relaxed feeling than previous British Royal weddings.

2 questions...

why margaret's ex was invited to the wedding and sarah not?:mad: both are divorced:ermm:
and why margaret don't was in the official photo with the rest of the family?

windsorbrides1 said:
I have seen all the candids of the Wessex's wedding on here, but none of the official portraits. Would someone post them?
you can find the official photos in www.picturepress.de
the total are 4

corazon said:
why margaret's ex was invited to the wedding and sarah not?:mad: both are divorced:ermm:

The Earl of Snowdon is Edward godfather.

And even if he wasn't it is Edward and Sophie wedding they can invite who they want, there is no reason to get angry about it.

Princess Margaret is in the big group picture she is beside Sophie's father.

Last edited:
I have read that Edward didn't trust Sarah to keep her mouth shut about anything.

Back
Top Bottom