Prince Daniel as Regent?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most likely scenario imho is that Estelle will be of age at the time her mother becomes queen, so there won't be a need for a regent ?

Of course, that is still 8 years away and he might surprise us by abdicating or he might die before his granddaughter's 18th birthday but let's hope the latter won't be the case.

The most likely scenario imho is that Estelle will be of age at the time her mother becomes queen, so there won't be a need for a regent ?

Of course, that is still 8 years away and he might surprise us by abdicating or he might die before his granddaughter's 18th birthday but let's hope the latter won't be the case.

There are two types of regents under the Swedish Instrument of Government: the regent ad interim, who takes over the role of Head of State temporarily while the King is absent or incapacitated, and the “ permanent” regent , who fulfills the role of Head of State when the King is a minor or there is no one left in the line of succession at the moment of the demise of the Crown.

My understanding is that, in the first case, the regent ad interim is automatically the next available person in the order of succession ( by proximity to the throne) subject to being of age and a Swedish citizen,. In the second situation, the Instrument of Government says that the Parliament must elect a regent and, at the same time, a deputy regent.

As I interpret it then, Prince Daniel cannot be a regent ad interim, as he is not in the line of succession ( the natural order in this case today would be CP Victoria and, then, if she is unavailable to serve, Prince Carl Philip). But the Instrument of Government itself does not explicitly bar Prince Daniel from serving as a regent for Princess Estelle if she outlived her mother while still a minor ( which is unlikely). I don’t know if the Swedish Parliament later passed any further legislation that would make CP the automatic regent, but I don’t think so.

Last edited:
Mbruno, that makes a lot of sense. It is indeed important to distinguish between different situations.

It was also said that Carl Philip would be needed to occasionally step in until Estelle turns 18 and that his and Sofia's public engagements would decrease as time passed by. Among other things he'd be needed as regent if something happened to her parents and grandparents.

Are you sure that the Marshal of the Realm claimed at the 2019 press conference that "Among other things he'd [Prince Carl Philip] be needed as regent if something happened to her [Princess Estelle's] parents and grandparents"? (I do not have a transcript.) That would be a strange and inappropriate remark to make, since the Constitution's Instrument of Government makes clear that it would be the Riksdag (Parliament), not the royal family, who would determine who would serve as regent if the King and Crown Princess were to die before Estelle turns 18.

Art. 5. Should the Royal House become extinct, the Riksdag elects a Regent to perform the duties of Head of State until further notice. The Riksdag elects a Deputy Regent at the same time.
The same applies if the King or Queen who is Head of State dies or abdicates and the heir to the throne has not yet reached the age of eighteen.​

I suspect his regency comment was not referring to the long-term regency that would be necessary in the event of Estelle becoming Queen during her minority, but to the short-term regency that would be needed if the King and Crown Princess were simultaneously temporarily unavailable (for example, because of illness or travel), in which case Prince Carl Philip would automatically be the regent ad interim.

Art. 4. If the King or Queen who is Head of State is not in a position to perform his or her duties, the member of the Royal House in line under the order of succession and able to do so shall assume and perform the duties of Head of State in the capacity of Regent ad interim.​

In the case of a Queen Estelle who is under 18, I would hope that Parliament would appoint Prince Daniel or Queen Silvia to the regency, as most other European monarchies would do, rather than bypassing them both for Prince Carl Philip who has never been a full-time working royal.

Last edited:
Are you sure that the Marshal of the Realm claimed at the 2019 press conference that "Among other things he'd [Prince Carl Philip] be needed as regent if something happened to her [Princess Estelle's] parents and grandparents"? (I do not have a transcript.) That would be a strange and inappropriate remark to make, since the Constitution's Instrument of Government makes clear that it would be the Riksdag (Parliament), not the royal family, who would determine who would serve as regent if the King and Crown Princess were to die before Estelle turns 18.

Art. 5. Should the Royal House become extinct, the Riksdag elects a Regent to perform the duties of Head of State until further notice. The Riksdag elects a Deputy Regent at the same time.​
The same applies if the King or Queen who is Head of State dies or abdicates and the heir to the throne has not yet reached the age of eighteen.​

I suspect his regency comment was not referring to the long-term regency that would be necessary in the event of Estelle becoming Queen during her minority, but to the short-term regency that would be needed if the King and Crown Princess were simultaneously temporarily unavailable (for example, because of illness or travel), in which case Prince Carl Philip would automatically be the regent ad interim.

Art. 4. If the King or Queen who is Head of State is not in a position to perform his or her duties, the member of the Royal House in line under the order of succession and able to do so shall assume and perform the duties of Head of State in the capacity of Regent ad interim.​

In the case of a Queen Estelle who is under 18, I would hope that Parliament would appoint Prince Daniel or Queen Silvia to the regency, as most other European monarchies would do, rather than bypassing them both for Prince Carl Philip who has never been a full-time working royal.
The Law of Succession is very clear in that it states that only the offspring of Carl XVI Gustav can sit on the throne. The Parliament can only appoint a new Monarch (and thus create a new dynasty) if his line goes extinct.
Carl Philip is next in line after Oscar so he'll automatically step in, should Estelle come to the throne while still a minor. There's no room for improvisation, thankfully. ;)

Carl Philip is next in line after Oscar so he'll automatically step in, should Estelle come to the throne while still a minor. There's no room for improvisation, thankfully. ;)

No, it is not the case that "Carl Philip will automatically step in should Estelle come to the throne while still a minor". Again, the Instrument of Government - which is a constitutional document - states that the Riksdag would select the regent for a minor Queen or King.

Art. 5. Should the Royal House become extinct, the Riksdag elects a Regent to perform the duties of Head of State until further notice. The Riksdag elects a Deputy Regent at the same time.
The same applies if the King or Queen who is Head of State dies or abdicates and the heir to the throne has not yet reached the age of eighteen."​

The Law of Succession is very clear in that it states that only the offspring of Carl XVI Gustav can sit on the throne. The Parliament can only appoint a new Monarch (and thus create a new dynasty) if his line goes extinct.

Indeed, and Estelle, not Carl Philip, would be that new monarch if Carl XVI Gustaf and Victoria were to die.

In the event of the throne becoming vacant and a minor Princess Estelle has to succeed, her uncle Prince Carl Philip will serve as regent (unless parliament decides otherwise but that’s unlikely if Estelle is close to adulthood)

The swedish constitution prohibits anyone who is not in the line of succession, from sitting on the Swedish throne. For that to change - an act of parliament is required to change the constitution… That would take some years as an election will have to be held before such a change can be passed.

The only provision is for a temporary regency, if the King is temporarily incapacitated and no adult in the line of sucession is available to serve as a ”Guardian of the Realm”… Then the Speaker of the Parliament steps in as ”Guardian of the Realm”… It happened once or twice in the 1980:s but has not happened since.

In the event of the throne becoming vacant and a minor Princess Estelle has to succeed, her uncle Prince Carl Philip will serve as regent (unless parliament decides otherwise but that’s unlikely if Estelle is close to adulthood)

The swedish constitution prohibits anyone who is not in the line of succession, from sitting on the Swedish throne. For that to change - an act of parliament is required to change the constitution… That would take some years as an election will have to be held before such a change can be passed.

The only provision is for a temporary regency, if the King is temporarily incapacitated and no adult in the line of sucession is available to serve as a ”Guardian of the Realm”… Then the Speaker of the Parliament steps in as ”Guardian of the Realm”… It happened once or twice in the 1980:s but has not happened since.

Again, the Constitution explicitly allows for a long-term regency when the monarch is a minor, and the Constitution explicitly authorizes the Riksdag to choose the regent. The fact that the Riksdag (Parliament) cannot choose the monarch does not change the fact that it can (and is obliged to) choose the regent.

The link above (which I will include once more) is to the Riksdag's official website and the quote is taken from the Instrument of Government, which forms part of the Constitution.

"Art. 5. Should the Royal House become extinct, the Riksdag elects a Regent to perform the duties of Head of State until further notice. The Riksdag elects a Deputy Regent at the same time.
The same applies if the King or Queen who is Head of State dies or abdicates and the heir to the throne has not yet reached the age of eighteen."

Art. 5. Should the Royal House become extinct, the Riksdag elects a Regent to perform the duties of Head of State until further notice. The Riksdag elects a Deputy Regent at the same time.​

Unfortunately I can't find the press conference anywhere online but for what it's worth I wrote a twitter thread while watching it live - :"The roles of Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia & Princess Madeleine will remain the same for now but will decrease as time goes by. Prince Carl Philip will be expected to step in as regent when needed until Princess Estelle reaches her maturity aged 18."
Interpreting my own quote I'd say I now share your belief that it deals with the short-term regency that is needed from time to time.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't find the press conference anywhere online but for what it's worth I wrote a twitter thread while watching it live - :"The roles of Prince Carl Philip, Princess Sofia & Princess Madeleine will remain the same for now but will decrease as time goes by. Prince Carl Philip will be expected to step in as regent when needed until Princess Estelle reaches her maturity aged 18."
Interpreting my own quote I'd say I now share your belief that it deals with the short-term regency that is needed from time to time.
Press conference, at 6.30 Fredrik Wersäll speaks about Carl Philip's role as regent

Press conference, at 6.30 Fredrik Wersäll speaks about Carl Philip's role as regent
The Marshal used the wording "temporary regent" meaning that at least at the time there was no intention of him becoming a regent for a minor Queen Estelle.

Back
Top Bottom