Prince Christian's confirmation: May 15, 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What happened during Frederik's confirmation? Service and a lunch? With also a dinner? A photosession?

Yup – don't know if it includes the bishop though. The limit for outside gatherings will be raised to 75 starting tomorrow. So depending on the weather, they could probably gather some guests outside after the confirmation.

Joachim and Marie have no problem travelling back and forth between France and Denmark for holidays so I doubt it'd be a problem for them to make it to their nephew's (and Joachim's godson's) confirmation. After all, they've known the date for a long time now.

Oh, I was thinking about the ever-changing rules both here and elsewhere.
And I don't know how the rules are in France right now in regards to traveling - and returning to France.
I'm not even sure whether the schools have reopened.
If Henrik and Athena are home schooled, it hardly matters whether they are in France and DK - as long as the connection is good. But if they physically attend school it may be a different matter.

Will Prince Christian have a Confirmation sponsor?

Since I don't know what a sponsor is, probably not. :ermm:

Perhaps FasterB can come to our rescue? ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I don't know what a sponsor is, probably not. :ermm:

Perhaps FasterB can come to our rescue? ?

I don't know what a sponsor is either. But if I am right in guessing that it is a person who will teach the young person about christianity/something equal to a Godparent, then no.

The person who is about to be confirmed (Konfirmanden) takes classes at the local priest together with his/her class mates and that's it ?

Oh, I was thinking about the ever-changing rules both here and elsewhere.
And I don't know how the rules are in France right now in regards to traveling - and returning to France.
I'm not even sure whether the schools have reopened.
If Henrik and Athena are home schooled, it hardly matters whether they are in France and DK - as long as the connection is good. But if they physically attend school it may be a different matter.

Based on their age, I'm assuming Henrik is in middle school while Athena is still in primary school. To the best of my knowledge, that means Athena has returned to school while Henrik alternates between home schooling and on-site learning. But I don't think that shouldn't stand in the way of Joachim and Marie making it there.

Based on their age, I'm assuming Henrik is in middle school while Athena is still in primary school. To the best of my knowledge, that means Athena has returned to school while Henrik alternates between home schooling and on-site learning. But I don't think that shouldn't stand in the way of Joachim and Marie making it there.

As far as I knew Henrik attends Ecoles des Roches, so there is no distance learning for him, but I can be wrong of course.
Anyhow they should be able to attend, if everybody is at peace with it.

In the BT article @polyesco linked to above, they report that John and Susan live in the UK these days. Given their age and the efficiency of the British vaccination programme, I'd assume they've been vaccinated by now so I'd be very surprised if they're among the attendants.

As far as I knew Henrik attends Ecoles des Roches, so there is no distance learning for him, but I can be wrong of course.
Anyhow they should be able to attend, if everybody is at peace with it.

Oh, is that something new? :ermm: In 2019, I'm fairly certain both he and Athena started École Internationale Bilingue Monceau in Paris. Is he a border then? Otherwise, that's quite a trip to make each day.

Last edited:
In the BT article @polyesco linked to above, they report that John and Susan live in the UK these days. Given their age and the efficiency of the British vaccination programme, I'd assume they've been vaccinated by now so I'd be very surprised if they're among the attendants.

If they or if they are not ? Because when they are vaccinated their attendance should not be such an Issue

:previous: Well, I did mean if they're not among the attendants :lol: ...

...but the Danish court has just announced that neither John and Susan nor Joachim, Marie and their children will be at the confirmation.

What a bummer. Especially John and Susan, and Marie. Joachim and the kids would be affected by the necessity for self-isolation, I can accept that, but Marie is essentially a stay-at-home mum these days. Surely, she could've made it here? And John and Susan, I'm not sure if either of them work anymore but I was sure especially the likeliness of them having been vaccinated would mean they'd be there.

Last edited:
Here's an updated statement by the Palace:

** kongehuset: Privat til redaktionerne: H.K.H. Prins Christians konfirmation ** translation **

Due to the corona situation, guests from abroad will not be participating in Prince Christian's confirmation. This unfortunately means that the immediate family from France, Great Britain and Australia will not be present on the day either. Thus, Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and their children have had to to cancel because of the current quarantine guidelines, and the same goes for John and Susan Donaldson in London. With regard to the family in Australia, it is not possible for them to participate because of exit restrictions, says communications director Lene Balleby

What about Nicolai and Felix?

Thanks. Poor Christian. I think under these cirumsdances it would have been better they would have postponed it for a few months which would most likely have meant that more guests from abroad could be present.

I understand the confirmation had already been postponed once. Unfortunately, Christian will be like a lot of children his age who have had to have confirmations and Bar Mitzvah's without all their loved ones present.

Thanks. Poor Christian. I think under these cirumsdances it would have been better they would have postponed it for a few months which would most likely have meant that more guests from abroad could be present.

It has already been postponed twice.

Nikolai and Felix are invited.

So will only Nikolai and Felix and Queen Margrethe II be invited?

:previous: I can imagine Benedikte will be there as well. There's also Princess Alexandra of Berleburg, her daughter Ingrid and her husband (and Vincent's godfather) Count Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille who live in Denmark. Don't know if they'll go but considering the sheer amount of people who won't be able to go, it would be neat if they did.

Last edited:
:previous: I can imagine Benedikte will be there as well. There's also Princess Alexandra of Berleburg, her daughter Ingrid and her husband (and Josephine's godfather) Count Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille who live in Denmark. Don't know if they'll go but considering the sheer amount of people who won't be able to go, it would be neat if they did.

Jeppe Handwerk, Danish godfather, and possibly his family.

Last edited:
:previous: For sure. And the only godparent out of 8 to be able to go :sad:

Last edited:
It went as I feared. :ermm:

I doubt Christian is particularly sad about a family-confirmation only, without representatives from the official Denmark, and TV and big coverage.
But now that hardly any friends and family attends, that must be a disappointment.

So I hope they celebrate him big time when he turns 16 come October.

(..)

Would '16' be a reason for a large celebration? I know some countries celebrate '15' quite elaborately and others '18'.

(..)

Prince Emmanuel was born in the same month as Christian and Leonor.

Would '16' be a reason for a large celebration? I know some countries celebrate '15' quite elaborately and other '18'.

No, no sweet sixteen in DK. But the poor lad has pretty much been cheated of his confirmation, which is a big thing here.

(..)

:previous: Uh, that's quite scathing from Heinel Jensen who usually has a quite close relationship with Joachim and Marie.

I doubt Christian is particularly sad about a family-confirmation only, without representatives from the official Denmark, and TV and big coverage.
But now that hardly any friends and family attends, that must be a disappointment.

Since they consider it a private event, I doubt it would've been televised even if it hadn't been COVID-restricted. The cameras for church events usually aren't handheld which means camera people wouldn't take up guest-space.

However, judging from the little Dannebrog film, the DRF put up on their social media the other day, JJ Film seem to be working on a documentary, presumably for QMII's jubilee next year. Don't think it's unlikely they get to film a bit of the confirmation if so.

(..)

Please stay on topic of this thread, which is not Prince Christian's birthday and possible birthday parties in October, but his confirmation this month. Thank you!

:previous: Uh, that's quite scathing from Heinel Jensen who usually has a quite close relationship with Joachim and Marie.
Very scatching and in my opinion totally uncalled for. These are special times and why should Prince Joachim be criticised for adhering to quarantine rules and for adapting them to different situations in his life. If he felt that he could be there he would be. We've all had to adapt our lives to government regulations and have had to stay away from special occasions because of them. Personally I spent Christmas Eve alone because I couldn't travel and because family members were ill.

I get the feeling that Mr Jensen is pissed about there not being much to write about Christian's confirmation. Less to write about = Less €€€.

Last edited:
:previous: Because he's had no problem travelling back and forth previously, judging from the article.

:previous: Because he's had no problem travelling back and forth previously, judging from the article.
As I said we all adapt the rules to different situations. Having a holiday allowed for him to quarantine around Christmas and now the situation doesn't. I don't see any problem at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom