Prince Andrew, Duke of York News and Events 8: Sep 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Times has an article entitled "Prince Andrew, The King and 'The Siege of Royal Lodge'.

It's about The King's efforts to oust Andrew from Royal Lodge.

The oddest bit is that two anonymous allies of Andrew are quoted, and these people are issuing statements worthy of The Beverly Hillbillies' Jed Clampett:

"Them's the facts."

"He ain't going anywhere."

Did Queen Elizabeth give the Royal lodge to Prince Andrew as gift? I am sure I read that somewhere, but I can't find any info about it.

Last edited:
I’m imagining the formidable and powerhouse of a woman that is QMII having to deal with an Andrew or Harry. God she would kick these two where the sun doesn’t shine 😂. She would do it with her cigarette in her hand and the attitude of someone not afraid of her own shadow or being seen as the “bad guy”. I’m doing my job and don’t mess with me. Full stop. I am a STAN 🙌🏽.

Did Queen Elizabeth give the Royal lodge to Prince Andrew as gift? I am sure I read that somewhere, but I can't find any info about it.
IIRC, the Queen Mother left it to him in her will.

He has a lease, signed in 2003, I think, for a long period, something like 75 years, I don’t remember exactly. It is the property of the Crown Estate, not private property.

There are all sorts of reports in the papers. One is that the house is a mess and Edo is trying to tidy it up! It does sound as Royal Lodge is in need of repair, and Andrew can't afford the upkeep. But he won't leave.

Even the Times is talking about "the siege of Royal Lodge", claiming that the King wants Andrew out. Andrew does not need a 30 bedroomed house and it's all getting embarrassing.

There are all sorts of reports in the papers. One is that the house is a mess and Edo is trying to tidy it up! It does sound as Royal Lodge is in need of repair, and Andrew can't afford the upkeep. But he won't leave.

Even the Times is talking about "the siege of Royal Lodge", claiming that the King wants Andrew out. Andrew does not need a 30 bedroomed house and it's all getting embarrassing.
Awww.. bless Edo😆

Here’s the article from The Times

Edo seems to be the right man to make it into something manageable and beautiful, however, if the rumors are true he might wonder whether it is worth his time if his father-in-law is forced out in one way or another.

He didn't need a 30 room home 20 years ago either. Especially since he was not yet a grandfather and his ex wife wasn't living with him. But that didn't stop his grandmother from deeding the property to him in her will.

Other than the fact that he is now more unpopular than ever what has changed since then?

Prince Andrew has a long lease on Royal Lodge, and as long as he can afford to pay for any conditions that go with that lease (presumably maintenance) then it's up to him, IMO, to stay there as long as he wants or until the lease runs out. It's been his home for a very long time. It does seem too big for one man, Sarah and the dogs, but then again, it's nothing to do with me how he spends his money.

It does seem as if his home is the only thing he's got left, besides Sarah and their girls, and the odd horse ride...

He didn't need a 30 room home 20 years ago either. Especially since he was not yet a grandfather and his ex wife wasn't living with him. But that didn't stop his grandmother from deeding the property to him in her will.

Other than the fact that he is now more unpopular than ever what has changed since then?

His lease says that he is obliged to take care of upkeep and renovations and what has changed is that he cannot afford to do so anymore. Now apparently Edo is taking care of the work that has to be done and maybe even paying for it... Okay.

The other thing that has changed is that Andrew does not get state security anymore, so King Charles is paying for his security privately. That's one of the reasons why he wants him to move out of Royal Lodge and into Frogmore Cottage. The King right now is paying to secure Royal Lodge, whereas Frogmore Cottage is within the area of Windsor Castle that is secured anyhow.

I’m imagining the formidable and powerhouse of a woman that is QMII having to deal with an Andrew or Harry. God she would kick these two where the sun doesn’t shine 😂. She would do it with her cigarette in her hand and the attitude of someone not afraid of her own shadow or being seen as the “bad guy”. I’m doing my job and don’t mess with me. Full stop. I am a STAN 🙌🏽.
Yes, that would be interesting.

Interesting that the King and Duke of York are apparently communicating with one another about personal matters through briefings to a royal reporter.

Are you certain that "all sorts of reports in the papers" are not simply repeating or speculating about the content of the one original story in the Times by Kate Mansey, posted by Leopoldine and Ghost?

He has a lease, signed in 2003, I think, for a long period, something like 75 years, I don’t remember exactly. It is the property of the Crown Estate, not private property.

You are correct. The details can be read on pages 2-3 of this report.

His lease says that he is obliged to take care of upkeep and renovations and what has changed is that he cannot afford to do so anymore. Now apparently Edo is taking care of the work that has to be done and maybe even paying for it... Okay.

My understanding is that the quote from the friend refers to Edo assisting his father-in-law with organizing his home and reducing the size of his collections, not with renovation work.

Recent pictures published in national newspapers appear to show some of the outhouses in a state of disrepair, with paint peeling off the walls. Inside, shelves heave with Sarah Ferguson’s collection of novelty teapots, while Andrew is known for his love of teddy bears. A friend and visitor to the Lodge says, “Sarah is a collector and Andrew is just as bad. He likes to surround himself with stuff, which seems to act like some sort of reassurance in life. Beatrice’s husband [who is chief executive of a property and interior design company] has tried to yank it into something much more manageable.”​

It seems Ms. Mansey spoke to someone very close to the Duke:

Like the surroundings, Andrew cuts an increasingly tragic figure. With no discernible role, he spends his days watching television in a darkened room. Before the change of reign, Andrew was seen out riding out with his younger brother, the Duke of Edinburgh, and the pair have been riding together as Edward prepares to ride in this year’s Trooping the Colour parade. “Often, Andrew has the horse brought to him,” a local says. “You see it coming in a horse box three times a week to the Lodge and he goes riding from there.”​

Collecting teapots and teddy bears is hardly a crime, but it does feel like How Do You Solve A Problem Like Prince Andrew. He hasn't actually been proven guilt of anything other than having very poor taste in friends. If he can't afford the upkeep of Royal Lodge, then he needs to move, but I don't know what he's supposed to do with himself.

Andrew , sorry I have no pity for him. To me he always seemed like a arrogant selfish person who was always keen to get his personal advantages. He might not be guilty in the Epstein business, but he still had no feeling or decency with whom to connect, considering his position. There have been many negative reports about his behaviour from servants and other people. He is maybe getting his punishment of isolation because he always has been a disgusting human being. I watched that interview years ago with him and it confirmed my negative impression.
That he doesn't want to move out of Royal Lodge is just another proof of his arrogance. The right thing for him to do would have been to offer Charles to move to a smaller place, which were offered to him. Instead he is stubborn because he doesn't understand why he is being treated so bad. He probably thinks he has done everything right and the family and the public are such bad people. I have never read a statement which showed regrets or apologies.

Andrew , sorry I have no pity for him. To me he always seemed like a arrogant selfish person who was always keen to get his personal advantages. He might not be guilty in the Epstein business, but he still had no feeling or decency with whom to connect, considering his position. There have been many negative reports about his behaviour from servants and other people. He is maybe getting his punishment of isolation because he always has been a disgusting human being. I watched that interview years ago with him and it confirmed my negative impression.
That he doesn't want to move out of Royal Lodge is just another proof of his arrogance. The right thing for him to do would have been to offer Charles to move to a smaller place, which were offered to him. Instead he is stubborn because he doesn't understand why he is being treated so bad. He probably thinks he has done everything right and the family and the public are such bad people. I have never read a statement which showed regrets or apologies.
I couldn't agree more with you!

The other thing that has changed is that Andrew does not get state security anymore, so King Charles is paying for his security privately. That's one of the reasons why he wants him to move out of Royal Lodge and into Frogmore Cottage. The King right now is paying to secure Royal Lodge, whereas Frogmore Cottage is within the area of Windsor Castle that is secured anyhow.
Security is the big one here IMO, Charles is looking at a bill (though I don't believe the £3million figure quoted over and over) to keep Royal Lodge secure. Purely pragmatically it makes sense to use Frogmore Cottage which is within the security cordon around Windsor Castle itself rather than paying to have another team secure another perimeter at another site. I can see him wondering why he should pay that and Andrew has to understand that is a decision for Charles. Even if Andrew thinks its only the money his mother might have left him in her will if it all hadn't gone to Charles, the reality is even at lower than £3million, it would vastly outstrip any potential bequest in a few years.

I also think we have to remember that Andrew moved in to Royal Lodge after the death of the Queen Mother, we all know how close the Queen was to her mother and that she herself has grown up at Royal Lodge so I suspect it was a highly emotionally driven decision that kept a home beloved by the late Queen in the family. At the time of the decision Andrew was a working royal in a home once shared with a now ex wife which no one really expected him to stop in long, he would probably have had 24/7 security thus the Lodge security was taken care of by the state. Over time the security around the late Queen's younger children has decreased, and of course Andrew also stopped being a working royal with all that entails. Another huge factor was the fact that the late Queen went to worship regularly at the Royal Chapel of All Saints, thus it was felt Royal Lodge couldn't just be leased to anyone as the Queen would be using the driveway most/many Sunday's and attending the church to worship. I suspect now, even as religious as Charles may be, that wouldn't be a factor in a purely business related decision.

The cold hard truth is, the circumstances have changed massively from the time when Andrew was first lined up to take over the lease. Charles is (if we believe the media - big IF) offering a still large, well appointed house with security for his brother to live in. I don't believe there is a huge fight about it personally, I just think Charles has warned, fairly IMO, that he won't pay the bill for much longer, especially when he is willing to ensure a suitable alternative.

Last edited:
I agree, I think most of this is pragmatic. I think that maybe Andrew wants to leave the lease to one of his daughters, and a new lease will not be as advantageous as the current one.
As I understand, even if there are conditions in the lease to maintain the lodge, not fulfilling those conditions is not going to get him evicted. So there’s that.

Collecting teapots and teddy bears is hardly a crime, but it does feel like How Do You Solve A Problem Like Prince Andrew. He hasn't actually been proven guilt of anything other than having very poor taste in friends. If he can't afford the upkeep of Royal Lodge, then he needs to move, but I don't know what he's supposed to do with himself.

Palling around with a pedophile and sex trafficker is a bit more than just having poor taste in friends. That disastrous interview he did put the final nail in his coffin. Perhaps if his massive, stonkin' ego hadn't insisted he do it, his situation might be a little different right now.

As to your last point...I don't know what he's supposed to do with himself either. Maybe he could take up watercolors or gardening or crochet.

But what would they do if he agrees to move? Let the Lodge be empty and go totally to waste?

But what would they do if he agrees to move? Let the Lodge be empty and go totally to waste?
Several articles in the past suggested that the King wants to secure Royal Lodge for William and his family, which would be appropriate since he is the future king. As I understand the family doesn't have much space at Adelaide Cottage, not even rooms for their servants. In comparison to that big mansion where Andrew resides as a single man (isn't it 20 bedrooms?) the house for William and family is small. I think that quite absurd that he doesn't see the reasons to move.
In case and I think that is the plan for the future, Will will move to Royal Lodge they will get the money to keep it up.
I don't think that Andrew wants to keep the property for his daughters. They are well off without that with Bea and her little family still living in a large apartment at St.James Palace and most probably having a place in the country. Eugenie and family I am not sure, aren't they living in Ivy Cottage or the other cottage at Kensington Palace? Considering their minor importance within the RF they don't need to reside in big mansions which are often used for representative and formal events.

I don't know how credible it is, but I recently read that Eugenie lives at Frogmore Cottage. A few years ago it was reported that she was subletting it from the Sussexes as her UK base, so if true, she may be now renting it from the Crown Estate.

I have seen several articles tip The Wales as potential occupants of the Royal Lodge. To me, if Adelaide Cottage is not sufficient, then William and his family should move to Windsor Castle.

No, Princess Eugenie and family have moved back to their residence at Kensington Palace, so Frogmore is empty at the moment.

But they knew about the size of Adelaide Cottage, why did they move in then?
That's a very good question! Maybe they were trying to show how down to earth they were? It's quite unusual for even a middle-class family not to have a spare bedroom, never mind for royalty (assuming that the children have a bedroom each).

If Royal Lodge is nort private property, how would Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother have acquired it?
Let me clarify the position.

Royal Lodge was previously a grace and favour home for QEQM, in her role as the Dowager Queen. It was not owned by QEQM.

After her death, Andrew acquired a lease on the property from the Crown Estate for 75 years in an arms-length transaction. The consideration for the lease broadly consisted the following elements:

1) An amount paid upfront (I can't remember how much that was) for the lease
2) A substantial sum to be spent on the refurbishment of the property. I think he spend c£7.5m on it
3) A very small ongoing annual rent, as 1) & 2) above covered the key elements of the cost of the lease.
4) An obligation to keep it in good repair throughout the lease period.

Details of this lease agreement are a matter of public record, and this matter has been discussed previously on TRF.

Back
Top Bottom