Official Visit from Spain to Jordan: October 5-7 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blog Real

Imperial Majesty
City
Lisboa
Country
Portugal
King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia will pay a State Visit to the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan from 5 to 7 October, in response to the invitation of His Majesty King Abdullah II.

King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia made a state visit to Jordan in 2006.

Last edited:
The trip has just been officially announced by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The trip will be an official trip.
Their Majesties the Kings, Don Felipe and Doña Letizia, will travel, accompanied by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, European Union and Cooperation, José Manuel Albares, to Amán on the 5th of October, at the invitation of H.M. el Rey Abdalá II of Jordan.

During this official visit, in addition to holding a meeting with a representation of Spanish people in the Jordanian country, they will be officially received by His Majesties the Reyes Abdalá II and Rania of Jordan at the Al Husseiniya Palace, where an official ceremony will be celebrated welcome.

Accordingly, several cultural activities and a business meeting will take place during this Official Trip, the first one to undertake SS.MM. King and Queen to Jordan, framed within the good relationships that maintain both countries and constitute a favorable opportunity to manifest the desire to continue strengthening the deep historical, political, cultural and human ties that exist between Jordan and Spain.

The visit takes place on a weekend due to the schedule of the Jordanian Royal Family.
But I also don't understand why they are going to carry out this visit at a time of conflict in countries close to Jordan.

Now that's it confirmed as an Official Trip as opposed to a State Visit ,there goes the tiara event!
The chances for them would have been unlikely anyway, as the 2 Queens involved only wear the tiaras when necessary. And at recent State Visits to Jordan there have been no tiaras.

The official visit of King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia to Jordan, in the air due to the danger in the Middle East.
Jordan has closed its airspace during the Iranian missile attack.

I just saw the news on TV an hour ago. Whatever happens this week could escalate fast and furious, and I hope the Jordan Royals stay safe and prepared, especially the crown prince and his new family.

Sincerely don't understand why they force this so bad. Missles hit Jordan too, even if by accident. I hope they eventually do cancel.

We recently saw a lot of royal trips happening and underneath the trip was the goal these are really military alliances in the making out of fear Russia will move further and absorb all former soviet republics back and then attack Poland, Finland and even Sweden.

I see this trip reads the king, as head of state, needs to sign something in private and in person in case a big war explodes anywhere from Finland and the Baltic to the Middle East.

By queen Letizia staying behind it looks Felipe is ready to risk his safety but to make sure, if worst happens, Letizia will take charge to sign any declarations. There was a precedent to this, years ago when king Juan Carlos was nowhere to be found* and Queen Sofia stepped in to sign an important government document into law.
*he was found in Switzerland with a lady friend.

very likely this is about money, business interests that require the king in jordan personally, if only for optics.
i doubt this is the reason the queen stays behind, if worst happens is there a 18 year old heiress to step in. my guess is that the queen stays behind because she has no role there now - everything that is not business has been shut down, eg the eye candy ladies programme that attracts the real attention.

Spain leads the UN mission in Lebanon. It's only fitting for the soldiers there that their Supreme Commander doesn't cancel his trip to the middle east while asking them to be there.

There are many diplomatic, military and intelligence considerations behind an official visit and this forum seems to treat all visits as mere jewelry and fashion shows.

very likely this is about money, business interests that require the king in jordan personally, if only for optics.
i doubt this is the reason the queen stays behind, if worst happens is there a 18 year old heiress to step in. my guess is that the queen stays behind because she has no role there now - everything that is not business has been shut down, eg the eye candy ladies programme that attracts the real attention.

First, Jordan is not a rich country and does not have oil or gas... I don't think there are businesses that are worth the risk.

Second, precisely because Leonor is only 18 years old and a student, Queen Letizia is the adult in the Royal Family who can step forward if something were to happen. For security reasons, it is normal for the King and Queen not to travel together in these circumstances.

Third, as AnaC says, it seems that the only objective of a state visit is to comment on clothes and jewelry, or in this case to compare Rania and Letizia... when it is evident that this trip from the beginning has an important political and diplomatic background in a time of crisis. Spain and Jordan have held many meetings at different levels over the past year. This is another step forward and I imagine that the gesture of the visit and the speeches of both kings are achieving some objective.
Spain is also in the middle of the conflict because at this moment a Spanish general commands the UN mission in Lebanon and has more than 600 soldiers deployed there.

There are many diplomatic, military and intelligence considerations behind an official visit and this forum seems to treat all visits as mere jewelry and fashion shows.
There are separate threads on both these topics and they are not/should not be discussed in the main State Visit/Official Visit thread.
Members of this forum are completely at liberty to discuss these in the relevant threads.
All members are ofcourse also at liberty to discuss the merits of such visits in the relevant thread too and we look forward to such contributions.

Back
Top Bottom