Names For Future Infante/Infanta

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
these are my guesses for the names either an infanta or an infante will carry and not in any specific order and not all may be used.

Infanta:

Sofia--for Queen Sofia
Isabel--long standing regal name and the name of 2 prior Queens
Elena or Christina--To honor Felipe's sisters
Victoria--For Victoria Eugenia, Felipe's Great-Grandmother
Letizia--for her own mother
Maria de las Mercedes--popular royal name
Luisa--to honor Letizia's side of the family

Infante:

Carlos--for his grandfather King Juan Carlos
Felipe--for his father the Prince of the Asturias
Luis--to honor Letizia's family and is a royal name
Juan--to honor the King and Count of Barcelona, great-Grandfather to the new baby

They won't name a baby girl Juana or Juanita because that will stir up memories of Juana La Loca, sister of Katherine of Aragon. I wish they would consider Katherine of Aragon's Spanish name Catalina as one of an Infanta's middle names.

Last edited:
Boy: Juan Carlos Pelayo Luis
Girl: Sofia Covadonga Victoria Mercedes

Why are people so besotted with the name Pelayo???

Boy: Carlos Felipe
Fernando Felipe
Alfonso Felipe
Lorenzo Felipe
Girl: Johanna Aida
Milagros (miracles)
Esperanza (hope)
Maria de las Mercedes (after mother of King Juan Carlos)
Maria del Pilar (after King Juan Carlos sister)
Maria del Carmen
Stella del Carmen
Maria Aparecida

name ideas

What is Princess Letizia's mother's name?

Maybe they will name the baby after her grandfather.

I also like the names Olivia, Edourdo(spelling??), Rafael, Isabelle(very popular at the moment)

LadyS said:
What is Princess Letizia's mother's name?
Paloma...
And I agree, Covadonga is awful :eek:

Hi this is my first post. Hello to everyone.

Excuse the grammar but english is not my first language.

Ok thats my opinion about the names:

If he's a boy:

I don't think they will call him Juan as a first name, because as a previous poster said, King Juan Carlos' father was also called Juan and considered Juan III forn Spanish Loyalists, but never roficially reigned. If he is King, will he be Juan III or Juan IV? To avoid confussion I think they will not choose Juan as first name. The same with Carlos, there is the problem wth the kings of the Carlista Dynasty, who are Carlos V, Carlos VI and Carlos VII for his followers but never oficially reigned in Spain.

Juan Carlos is not a traditional name for the Spanish Dynasty. The name was made up by General Franco to distinguish the now King from his father the Count of Barcelona, who was also Juan. Maybe they will choose this name to make it traditional for the dynasty. In my opinion, they won't.

Pelayo is a beautiful name in my opinion, and they have stated previously that they also like the name, but I don' think they will name their firsborn Pelayo. Maybe the second son or they will use Pelayo as a second name. It sounds a bit old and maybe to nationalist for this time of hstory is Spain.

I think Fernando has a lot of possibilities, since it was the name the now King and Queen chose for the now Prince Felipe. But General Franco dissuaded them saying that it could remind people to Fernando VII, the worst king of Spain by all accounts. If not, Alfonso or Luis are the other possibilities, since I think they will chose the name of a previous King of Spain (not of Castilla).

If she's a girl,

The possibilities are much wider. Sofia I think is the number one option. It is remarkable how the Infantas have not chosen Sofia for neither of their daughters; maybe they are reserving the name for Felipe's daughter? Could be so.
Covadonga is a beautiful name and not at all strange in Spain, but I don't think they will chose it. Maybe for second name or so.
Paloma could be a possibility since it's the name of the Princess mother and a very popular name in Madrid.
Esperanza (hope) is a very meaningful name and the name of the King's aunt who died today. Maybe for a second or third name.

I also think it's going to be a boy and they know it. They seem to be quite calm about all the fuss about the constitutional changes so the firstborn can be heir regardless of his/her gender. Maybe they are irresponsible or they know something we don't.

Welcome to the board, Marcus! :)

The truth is that if each of the names put to examine, better they choose the new one, because but, if he is a boy always they will have problems. To every name it is possible to look for a reason for the one that would be ianpropiado (I do not believe that any escapes) ... the better thing is that they choose a name because they like and already.

With the girl they would have it easier. The names do not have the same historical weight.

Marcus said:
Sofia I think is the number one option. It is remarkable how the Infantas have not chosen Sofia for neither of their daughters; maybe they are reserving the name for Felipe's daughter?

I hope Felipe and Letizia use Sofia even as a second name, as it would be a wonderful tribute to the Queen, if they have a girl of course.... Does anybody know if Victoria or Irene have Sofia in their names :confused:
I also think the baby will be a boy, although I hope that it's a girl :p

No they don`t have Sofia un their names.

They are Irene de Todos los Santos Urdangarín de Borbón

and Victoria Federica de Todos los Santos de Marichalar y de Borbón

Bienvenido A Marcus!

Quiero dar un bienvenido grande a Marcus!! Si tenga pregunta de como expresar algo, escribeme por favor!! Usted me puede ayudar en mejorar mi Espanol! (mi computadora no hace los accentos, el tilde etc)

Translation: I want to give a big welcome to Marcus!! If you have a question of how to say someting, write to me please!! You can help me improve my Spanish!! (my computer doesn't let me make accent marks, tildes, etc).

donnaK said:
Boy: Juan Carlos Pelayo Luis
Girl: Sofia Covadonga Victoria Mercedes
I agree it will be something like this. The baby is due to be born in November, and that is the month the the King celebrates 30 years on the throne, so if it's a boy I think they'll name him Juan Carlos, so he will reign as Juan Carlos II. Pelayo for Asturias. A guess Luis for her grandfather, but I think maybe Juan Carlos Felipe Pelayo de todos los Santos for a boy.

If it's a girl, no question whatsoever she will be Sofia. And I've always thought Covadonga as well (which I think is an absolutely beautiful name, although others don't agree). Sofia Covadonga something de Todos los Santos.

lucys said:
If it's a girl, no question whatsoever she will be Sofia. And I've always thought Covadonga as well (which I think is an absolutely beautiful name, although others don't agree). Sofia Covadonga something de Todos los Santos.

How is Covadonga pronounced? And what is the significance or meaning of it?

I wonder if a Greek name or a name which honours Sofia's Greek heritage might be included too if it's a girl? Elena's daughter is named Victoria Frederika for the Queen's mom and Cristina's daughter is named Irene for the Queen's sister.

Not to explain to you how one declares Covadonga, but I am going to try to explain to you the origin of the names of Covadonga and Pelayo, and the reason of its tradition in Asturias.

They are names which tradition goes back to the 8th century, when the Muslims invaded the Iberian Peninsula. Some nobles visigodos sheltered in the mountains of Asturias, and there it began the Reconquest. Pelayo was one of these nobles, and he turned into the first King of Asturias. In these mountains one finds the Sanctuary of the Virgin of Covadonga ( means something like that how " cave of our lady "), what was the one that protected the Christians.

Not if I have explained it very well, it is difficult to try to explain it in a brief and clear way. All this history relates also that the Prince inheritor it is from Asturias, because from the Kingdom of Asturias the Wreath of Castile was conforming. They are therefore two historical names, and of many tradition in Asturias. The virgin of Covadonga is in addition the mistress of Asturias.
Spain is a country that as tradition has many virgins, and the meaning it can turn out to be a stranger for persons who do not know them, but in Spain and in the different regions they are very common.
For Asturian Covadonga is slightly special (how Virgen del Rocío for the Andalusians). The people of Asturias are in the habit of being very linked to their roots, probably because it is a region that has suffered a lot of emigration.

I imagine that for Letizia also it is special. She came with the Prince to Covadonga the day in the one that was celebrating his 36 birthdays, a few months before marrying. This day the grandparents of Letizia were accompanying them. The cancer had been detected to the grandfather of Letizia two months before, was sick and I believe that they did not know if he might manage to see his granddaughter married. There when the journalists asked Letizia who had asked the Virgin, she said to them that for her grandparents. And the Prince commented on him in tone of humor " and for us, not? ".

Attachments

• Don%20Pelayo.jpg
    Don%20Pelayo.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 254
  • covadonga.jpg
    covadonga.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 353
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 217
  • CA2RC92T.jpg
    CA2RC92T.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 175
  • CAW96FWZ.jpg
    CAW96FWZ.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 172
In a serious enough magazine they were betting for Pablo's name if he was a male, in honor of the King Paul of Greece, the father of the Queen Sofia. I am sure that also he will have Juan's name though not first for the problem that already has been mentioned. If he was a boy probably Pablo Juan Luis Francisco, it would be a nice honoring of the Princes to their grandparents.

lula said:
In a serious enough magazine they were betting for Pablo's name if he was a male, in honor of the King Paul of Greece, the father of the Queen Sofia. I am sure that also he will have Juan's name though not first for the problem that already has been mentioned. If he was a boy probably Pablo Juan Luis Francisco, it would be a nice honoring of the Princes to their grandparents.
But he already has a cousin named Pablo right? I believe they can only register two names now. Infante Carlos Felipe sounds good to me, don't you think?

planetcher said:
But he already has a cousin named Pablo right? I believe they can only register two names now. Infante Carlos Felipe sounds good to me, don't you think?

I do not believe that it is important for them if the names repeat themselves, ' the Infantas have had many children males and han used important names of the family how Juan, Felipe, Pablo..
It of both names not if it is a law or not, but in any case they or are applied by them. The members of the Royal Family are not registered in the Civil Record , but in an own record of the Royal Family, therefore there they can put the names that want.

how about..
Maria Paloma
Letizia Maria
Maria de las Marcedes

Last edited by a moderator:
for a girl = Sofia Isabella Mercedes Cristina

for a boy : Juan Felipe Carlos Matheo Enrique

Pelayo(536) and Sofia(832) are on top:)

Pelayo?!?!?!:eek: Poor kid...
I'm sure sure sure that if they ever have a girl, she would be named Sofia. Look: both Christina and Elena have girls and neigher of them have this name. So they decided to leave it for Felipe's daughter.

LaChicaMadrilena said:
Pelayo?!?!?!:eek: Poor kid...
I'm sure sure sure that if they ever have a girl, she would be named Sofia. Look: both Christina and Elena have girls and neigher of them have this name. So they decided to leave it for Felipe's daughter.

I hope F&L do have a girl along the line (i'm sure they will);) because it would be a terrible shame if the queen didn't have a granddaughter named after her!

I think Pelayo or Covadonga will be amongst the names of the future Infante. I'd love an infanta Ana Sofia or Sofia Maria.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom