Name & Godparent Suggestions for the Twins

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
As Frederik said we can start by calling the boy Elvis for now ... :D

:lol: But what to name the little Princess? Elvira? Priscilla? Since Elvis was a twin himself (his twin brother Jesse Garon died at birth) maybe the girl should be called Jessica... ;) :p

I'm liking the Magnus/Mathilde combination. I have a feeling though the names might be something completely different that no-one expects.

My guess will be TRISTAN and MATHILDA/E or MAGDALENA/E

mathilde? never thought about that, its so possible.

girl= mathilde/mathilda, anne/anna or sophia/sophie

boy= william, erik or alexander

godparents=
.princess marie of denmark;
.prince felipe and princess letizia, crown princes of asturias of spain;
.prince daniel of sweden;
.crown prince philip of belgium;
.prince nikolaos of greece;
.crown prince willem-alexander and princess maxima of netherlands;

one of these above will definately be chosen.
not to sure about british royals, so i didnt count them.

Maybe they go for Victoria and Daniel for the twins? Or William and Catherine? :whistling:

Or maybe Arabella for a girl. Plus Margarethe and Suzanne?

Okay, I go for Arabella Margarethe Suzanne Catherine and
Niels Daniel Frederick Donald.

I still predict they will go with something that is in style right now, not a name from the royal family.

I think you can look at the current top 10 in Australia and Denmark and probably make a good educated guess about what will be the names.

Denmark's top 10 names for 2009 for boys: Mikkel, Lucas, William, Emil, Noah, Victor, Magnus, Oliver, Frederik, Mathias.
For girls: Freja, Ida, Emma, Lærke, Caroline, Anna, Isabella, Sofie, Mathilde, Sara.

Most popular names in the Australian state of Tasmania for boys in 2009: Oliver, Lucas, William, Riley, Thomas, Lachlan, Noah, Samuel, Harry, Jack.
For girls: Charlotte, Ruby, Ella, Matilda, Grace, Amelia, Lucy, Chloe, Isabella, Sophie.

Overlapping names on both lists: Lucas, William, Oliver, Noah, for boys; Matilda/Mathilde, Sophie/Sofie, Isabella (which is taken already and isn't in the running.)

Rule out also obviously unroyal or too obviously un-Danish sounding names like Riley, Lachlan, Harry, Jack, and probably Noah; Lærke and Ruby. Others on both lists are melodious to the ear and could sound right followed by Prince or Princess.

When she picked one of the most popular names in the English speaking world for her daughter, I think Mary showed that her taste tends more towards the contemporary and I would guess she'll lean that way in naming the twins.

Last edited:
princess marie for godparant how about princess maxima?
Yes, I'm going with those two as well. Mary seems especially close to Maxima over the last few years. They had a great time at Victoria's Wedding!

Maxima is yet godmother of Isabella and Prince Felipe of Christian. Felipe could not go to Copenhagen for the baptism but He send his best wishes to the parents and thanks to have chosen him to be a godparent.
Here we have 2 babies. Each one could have 4 (or 6) godparents. So it's a total of 8 or 12 godparents we have to find.
- from Sweden : Prince Daniel (for sure) and Princess Madeleine
- from Norway : no more for these babies (Prince Haakon is yet for Christian and Princess Mette Marit is yet for Isabella
- from Denmark : surely Princess Marie
- from Spain : no more for these babies
- from Luxembourg : none
- from Netherlands : maybe Willem-Alexander (Maxima is yet for Isabella)
- From Greece : Prince Nicholaos ??? (not so sure)
- From Belgium : Mathilde maybe
- From UK : maybe Kate (in this case Australia will go crazy, their two future queens together, I think it will be good PR for the house of Denmark as well for the house of UK)
and for the rest : friends of Mary and Fred.
All Mary's sisters and brother are yet godparents ? Not sure.
I'm not sure Maxima is yet godmother of Isabella? Can somebody confirms?
-

Maxima is not the godmother of Isabella, The Duchess of Brabant is Isabella's godmother. And the Prince of Asturias is not the Godfather of Prince Christian.

Christians Godparents:

Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway
Mrs. Jane Stephens
His Royal Highness Prince Joachim
His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon of Norway
His Royal Highness Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece
Mr. Hamish Campbell
Mr. Jeppe Handwerk

TRH The Crown Prince Couple - Godfathers and godmothers to the little Prince:

Isabellas Godparents:

H.R.H. Princess Mathilde of Belgium
H.R.H. Princess Alexia
Dr. Nadine Johnston
Mr. Christian Buchwald, Medical superintendent
Mr. Peter Heering, Director, Major
Mrs. Marie Louise Skeel

TRH The Crown Prince Couple - Godparents to Her Royal Highness the Princess

Maxima is yet godmother of Isabella and Prince Felipe of Christian. Felipe could not go to Copenhagen for the baptism but He send his best wishes to the parents and thanks to have chosen him to be a godparent.
- From Belgium : Mathilde maybe
- From UK : maybe Kate (in this case Australia will go crazy, their two future queens together, I think it will be good PR for the house of Denmark as well for the house of UK)
and for the rest : friends of Mary and Fred.
All Mary's sisters and brother are yet godparents ? Not sure.
-

1; Prince Felipe of Spain isn't a godfather for Christian.
2; Princess Mathilde is godmother for Isabella.
3; Kate and Mary have, I doubt, never even met.
4; Jane Stephens is the only relative godparent.
5; Maxima is not godmother to Isabella.

Some names from both Mary's and Frederik's family trees:

Agnes
Alexandra
Alexandrine
Annie
Augusta
Barbara
Catherine
Cecilie
Christine
Charlotte
Dagmar
Elizabeth
Eugenie
Frederika/Frederikke
Helen/Hélène
Henrietta
Ingrid
Jane
Jean/Jeanne
Josephine
Louise
Marie/Mary
Margrethe
Norah
Patricia
Renée
Sophie
Victoria/Viktoria

Archibald
Aristide
André/Andrew
Arthur
Alexander
Albert
Adolf
Carl/Charles
Christian
Dalgleish
Daniel
Eugen
Frederik
Franz
Georg
Gustaf
Henri/Henrik
Jean/John/Johan
Leonard
Ludwig/Louis
Maurice
Michael
Oscar
Olaf
Patrick
Peter
Robert
Roy
Thomas
Valdemar
William/Wilhelm/Vilhelm

Names that are not traditional but ones they might consider could be Julia, Suzanne, Alice, Mathilde and Rosemarie and for a boy Magnus, Oliver, Stephen, Edward and Timothy.

Congratulations to the CP couple of Denmark!! :flowers: I'd suggest Carl Joachim Franz for the boy and Margrethe Amelie Ingrid for the girl.

Christians Godparents:

Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden
Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway
Mrs. Jane Stephens
His Royal Highness Prince Joachim
His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon of Norway
His Royal Highness Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece
Mr. Hamish Campbell
Mr. Jeppe Handwerk

TRH The Crown Prince Couple - Godfathers and godmothers to the little Prince:

Isabellas Godparents:

H.R.H. Princess Mathilde of Belgium
H.R.H. Princess Alexia
Dr. Nadine Johnston
Mr. Christian Buchwald, Medical superintendent
Mr. Peter Heering, Director, Major
Mrs. Marie Louise Skeel

TRH The Crown Prince Couple - Godparents to Her Royal Highness the Princess

Thanks for providing the list! I suspect the twins' godparents will more or less come from the same royal families: Norway, Sweden, Greece, Belgium and maybe from the Netherlands too. I'd suggest Princess Marie of Denmark, the twins' aunt. Perhaps Princess Martha Louise of Norway, CP Philippe of Belgium, Princess Maxima, Madeleine or Carl-Philip of Sweden, Prince Nikolaus of Greece or maybe Tatiana of Greece or Marie-Chantal. I can only talk about their royal godparents, as I'm not familiar with the CP couple's personal friends.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Lumutqueen, no problem I recognise I was wrong. Bad memory. For Mary and Kate: I perfectly known they never met. As you do, I make suggestions.

I think Prince Johan and Princess Margrethe would sound great, - lovely, traditional, classic names - but I can see them choosing names that are more modern and not necessarily related to Denmark or the Danish royal family. Just like they did it with Isabella before.

I wouldn't like Margrethe for a first name as it would be too confusing having two Margrethe's in the main line. It would make a nice second name.

For godparents: Prince Nikolaos of Greece or Princess Theodora as they are not only royal but also first cousins.

They'll have one foreign royal as godparent, one (close) royal relative, one relatve of Mary, and 2 friends of CPC

royal godparents:
Princess Maxima
Prince Daniel

royal relative:
Princess Marie (for sure)
Prince Nikolaos, Princess Theodora, Princess Alexandra (SWB) or Princess Nathalie (more unlikely than the others)

Marys relatives:
Patricia Bailey
John Donaldson (her brother)

Albert Victor Frederik Stephen Otto Victoria Grace Olga Elizabeth

Elvis and Elvira. :p

^totally agree with jinigirl. the ones i would put my hands on fire for, is for Princess Maxima and Princess Marie, i think its very likely they will be godmothers.

for name, i bet they will bring 2 beautiful names and that none of us are expecting.
we didnt guess isabella's (well christian doesnt count, we knew that will keep the tradition)

mathilde/a is a great runner-up to be chosen
for boy i love william, erik and alexanders, but not matter what it makes me doubt cause william (i remenber of prince william), erik (frederik) and alexander (willem-alexander).
having royals with the same names i doubt they would give that to the boy, any current royal was isabella, so she is the only one nowadays.

margrethe is a wonderful name, and its not that confusing. queen sofia grand-daughter is named after her, infanta sofia, and its not that confusing

Last edited:
I'm almost sure that Prince Daniel will be one of the godparents.

I would love to see them naming the daughter Shirley after Shirley Bassey who was also born January 8. Princess Shirley sounds good. Is it also an Australian name?
Does someone have lists of popular Australian names?

Hmmm, Shirley was a little joke, I didn't think anyone would actually think of calling her that.
Like I've said in another thread, to honour Shirley or Elvis in that way, when they have no connection to the royals, shouldn't occur.
Plus, IMO, it's a horrible name for a girl born in this century. You have to suit a name, Shirley Bassey does for some reason. But Princess Shirley sounds tacky.

My revised suggestions now that we know it's a boy and girl...

Matilda Dagmar Patricia Jane

Oscar Aage Johan Frederik
(my top picks though unsure about middle names)

Other possible sets: Matilda & Olafur; Adelaide & Oscar; Matilda & Harald; Matilda & William; Xenia & Oscar (hugs and kisses, x & o ;) )

So hard because they could do something again that no-one will expect, like they did with Isabella...I am more stressed about the christening/naming than the birth!

And as for Elvis, it is an awesome name with Scandinavian links and I used it for my son born in 2003, he is 7 now :)

I think that the littel girl migth be namede Sofia,Marie,Ingrid,Dagmar
and the littel boy migth be namede Victor,Henrik,John,Michael

Does someone have lists of popular Australian names?
Most Popular Names Australia 2009
1 William Isabella
2 Jack Chloe
3 Lachlan Charlotte
4 Cooper Olivia
5 Joshua Mia
6 Thomas Emily
7 Oliver Ella
8 Noah Sophie
9 Ethan Sienna
10 Riley Amelia
11 James Ruby
12 Lucas Ava
13 Samuel Lily
14 Benjamin Grace
15 Daniel Jessica
16 Liam Matilda
17 Max Zoe
18 Alexander Hannah
19 Ryan Emma
20 Jacob Sarah
21 Isaac Jasmine
23 Jayden Zara
25 Tyler Sophia
26 Luke Chelsea
27 Harry Isabelle
28 Nicholas Eva
30 Oscar Holly

I could Charlotte, Matilda and maybe Julia and Oscar and a danish form of Thomas

Prince Franz Stephen Rupert Johan Georg
Victoria Ingrid Helena Astrid

Godparents:
Patricia Bailey
Amber Petty
Prince Daniel of Sweden
Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium
Prince Gustav of Syan-Wittgenstein-Barleburg

Boy:
Georg William Frederik Alexander

Girl:
Mathilde Lovisa Thyra Mary